Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On way back 22:32 - Aug 28 with 6488 viewsOakR

Fairly awful game.compared to recent ones. We really were not at it, commitment was fine, but could not get going bar a bit in the first half.

I felt the game was crying out for Hugill to come on and I don't really understand why he didn't- we need to hold the ball up and were struggling to pass out from the back.

Needless penalty to give away but this game was there to be won and we lost it on team selection.

Poll: Will we stay up?

On way back on 13:14 - Aug 29 with 1069 viewsAntti_Heinola

On way back on 11:08 - Aug 29 by BushRanger82

The clubs poor attitude towards attempting to gain honours, is slowly killing the club off.
I look around me at Loftus Rd, and the number of grey haired heads is quite high, the number of youngsters, not so.
I don’t know. It’s not even as though we would enjoy a stint in the premier league, I certainly didn’t the last couple, in fact towards the end I was counting the minutes and seconds until we were back in the championship, a league we can compete reasonably well in, certainly not enjoy as much as goo cup run, especially if it finished in a semi-final, or even final itself, appearance.

dunno, seemed loads of youngsters about last night.

Bare bones.

On way back on 13:18 - Aug 29 with 1057 viewsMick_S

On way back on 13:14 - Aug 29 by Antti_Heinola

dunno, seemed loads of youngsters about last night.

I noticed that, too - maybe £5.00 a ticket had something to do with it. Loads of 14/15* year olds in upper Loft.

* Approximate guess - you just can't tell these days can you?
[Post edited 29 Aug 2019 13:20]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

On way back on 13:26 - Aug 29 with 1032 viewsManinBlack

The Premier League and Sky have put us in this position. The money handed out to the top league has seen the rich clubs get richer and the rest of us counting our pennies to reflect general life. If you keep someone down long enough they lose the will and spirit to fight, it is how I have viewed our club for a few years now. They don't think they can compete and have almost given up. It was bad enough in the Premiership when we were trying to stay up but now we are applying the same principle in the Championship, just trying to stay up.

It does seem that we will be returning to the third tier to stay because of the huge imbalance in finances. Gone are the days when a club could get into the top division and make a damn good fist of it as there were not huge differences between the clubs as there is today. Every year more or less the same clubs get into the Champions League making even more money and getting further away from the rest. The whole idea of a Premier League is to have the biggest clubs and QPR do not fit that bill.

I mentioned in another thread how some of my colleagues don't see the point of QPR. To them we just go through the motions of fulfilling fixtures, no real effort made in the cups other than to get knocked out every year early to concentrate on finishing just above the relegation zone, a consistency in losing away games, we look like a club that has lost any will to compete and just exist with ambition now restricted to just surviving.

The only future generation of supporters our club will get is those who were brought by their fathers at a very early age and are hooked but if any of those future supporters stop attending games then their subsequent sons will not get the R's bug.

Instead, what will happen is they will grow up like all the lads in non footballing towns and wind up supporting the big clubs they are exposed too continually on Sky. The kids at an impressionable age watching their overseas heroes playing the sort of football Man City play will grow up supporting them because they want to be associated with winning teams. Unfortunately Shepherd's Bush is not exempt from this as fathers bring their sons in Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool shirts etc to watch the only teams likely to win anything because their stature demands it.

As things stand in football I see no way back for us. FFP has made sure we can't think big and we have the look of a club resigned to it's fate of wallowing around the lower leagues. The overall decline of our football club since the late 90's has been sad to watch but we are not alone in that. Whenever we seem to halt the decline and we get a bit of hope, it seems to end very quickly and before we know it we are sliding downwards again. We have turned into the Poundland of football clubs a long, long way from the Harrods elite in the Champions League.

Sorry peeps but I can't see much positivity for our football club in the long term.
On way back on 14:08 - Aug 29 with 965 viewsR_from_afar

But hang on, we did have a cup run last year, in the FA Cup, and our starting elevens were full strength or close to it.

We also need to bear in mind the consequences of playing our strongest eleven in every game, league or cup. Key players will get tired and squad players will never be able to step up to the first team unless they get some proper match experience. Some people on here were lambasting McClaren for overplaying certain players but you can't have it both ways.

I am not saying it's easy, mind...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

On way back on 17:45 - Aug 29 with 822 viewsManinBlack

On way back on 14:08 - Aug 29 by R_from_afar

But hang on, we did have a cup run last year, in the FA Cup, and our starting elevens were full strength or close to it.

We also need to bear in mind the consequences of playing our strongest eleven in every game, league or cup. Key players will get tired and squad players will never be able to step up to the first team unless they get some proper match experience. Some people on here were lambasting McClaren for overplaying certain players but you can't have it both ways.

I am not saying it's easy, mind...

To be fair that was a one off last season since the change of century. I would hope that because we played Leeds and Watford in that cup run that we would make an effort to try harder against better teams. As demonstrated in the first round of this year's league cup we did have a go at Bristol City as they are in the same division. The problem with us seems to be that when we face a lower division team, usually at home, we lose and seemingly lack any desire to progress further and to play the big boys. The lower league club always seem to show they want it more. Let's face it they usually make plenty of changes to their team too not just us yet these clubs beat us so attitude must play a part.

I take your point about the squad thing and with 8 matches in a month it is expected changes will be made to the starting eleven. Again this shows the disparity between the haves and the have nots. Man City and Liverpool can afford big squads but we can't so to give players a rest makes an average team even worse. You may have noticed in Portsmouth's previous match they led 3-1 against nine men and still couldn't win yet they do us 2-0 at our place.

I really do feel that we appear to be chucking these games to finish 17th in the league. Five years ago the aim was to finish 17th in the Premier League. Now it is to finish 17th in this league and perhaps in five years time our aim will be to finish 17th in league 1. Finances have pinned us to a wall as it is just appears to be a game of survival. Once upon a time long before there was a Premier League the majority of clubs would have ambitions to be near the top of their respective divisions but not today. Who has the most money will realistically finish at the top end and the skint clubs try to hang in there.

For a sport it is a sorry state to be left clutching an ambition of finishing just above a relegation place. The clubs in financial difficulty will struggle to attract new fans for the future when there is the option of being an armchair fan of the big clubs on tv just about every week.
On way back on 13:53 - Aug 30 with 638 viewsR_from_afar

On way back on 17:45 - Aug 29 by ManinBlack

To be fair that was a one off last season since the change of century. I would hope that because we played Leeds and Watford in that cup run that we would make an effort to try harder against better teams. As demonstrated in the first round of this year's league cup we did have a go at Bristol City as they are in the same division. The problem with us seems to be that when we face a lower division team, usually at home, we lose and seemingly lack any desire to progress further and to play the big boys. The lower league club always seem to show they want it more. Let's face it they usually make plenty of changes to their team too not just us yet these clubs beat us so attitude must play a part.

I take your point about the squad thing and with 8 matches in a month it is expected changes will be made to the starting eleven. Again this shows the disparity between the haves and the have nots. Man City and Liverpool can afford big squads but we can't so to give players a rest makes an average team even worse. You may have noticed in Portsmouth's previous match they led 3-1 against nine men and still couldn't win yet they do us 2-0 at our place.

I really do feel that we appear to be chucking these games to finish 17th in the league. Five years ago the aim was to finish 17th in the Premier League. Now it is to finish 17th in this league and perhaps in five years time our aim will be to finish 17th in league 1. Finances have pinned us to a wall as it is just appears to be a game of survival. Once upon a time long before there was a Premier League the majority of clubs would have ambitions to be near the top of their respective divisions but not today. Who has the most money will realistically finish at the top end and the skint clubs try to hang in there.

For a sport it is a sorry state to be left clutching an ambition of finishing just above a relegation place. The clubs in financial difficulty will struggle to attract new fans for the future when there is the option of being an armchair fan of the big clubs on tv just about every week.

You make some very good points. Being less well known, clubs like QPR were always going to struggle to attract the very best players, but with FFP, it gets even harder because we are (unfairly) restricted as to how much we can spend on players before we get penalised. FFP in its current form is not fit for purpose and totally biased in favour of "the big clubs". It helps them stay "big".

FFP - and larger clubs' greater levels of income - make just standing still an achievement, although, over time, it perhaps stops feeling like one. Until clubs like us find or develop players and coaches who punch above their weight, we probably will struggle to win promotions and cups. It's going to be hard.

That said, I don't think we "chuck" cup games although there are occasional exceptions (e.g. our League Cup game against The Tangerines last season). I think the players are pretty motivated and want to play well and progress in the cups, but I don't think any team can replicate the additional motivation a team has when they take on opposition from a league above. That is a different sort of motivation.

I think the main progress we are making as a club at the moment is more about our soul, values, sustainability and community. That is a big success in and of itself.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024