Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR - Rochdale market 19:22 - Sep 16 with 11201 viewsDalenet

A sad day - it has been announced that the market will be closed down in October. Despite the money spent on the relocation it is losing money. It is a sad state when a market in a town the size of Rochdale isn't sustainable. I would have hoped the council would persevere until the new shopping centre was open next year and see what footfall was like then. Very shortsighted decision but I guess you can't fight change.
NFR - Rochdale market on 21:42 - Sep 24 with 1359 viewsrochdale_ranger

NFR - Rochdale market on 21:38 - Sep 24 by soulboy

I wouldn't have thought the directors of the now bust Thomas Cook were lefties.

Firms go under. That’s life.
NFR - Rochdale market on 22:07 - Sep 24 with 1341 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 20:23 - Sep 20 by NogintheNog

If the old lady does`nt turn up somewhere else in town try Shoemaster on Yorkshire St. £4.50 fitted.

And a guarantee

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

NFR - Rochdale market on 22:10 - Sep 24 with 1326 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 21:42 - Sep 24 by rochdale_ranger

Firms go under. That’s life.

Greedy Directors line their pockets whilst running the business down. That’s life

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

NFR - Rochdale market on 23:03 - Sep 26 with 1213 viewsDalenet

The Artisan market is being held again in the town on Saturday. Would be nice for us all to rally round and visit and show a bit of support before the town loses that too.
NFR - Rochdale market on 11:36 - Sep 27 with 1120 viewsTipperaryDale

For those comparing Rochdale to Bury; Bury is a wealthier town than Rochdale, as evidenced by yesterday's report entitled "English Indices of Deprivation 2019"; Rochdale is the 17th most deprived local authority in the country, Bury is the 110th (out of 317). The economic state of Rochdale is more akin to Oldham, Burnley, Blackburn - none of which as far as I can remember have particularly thriving town centres, Oldham especially.

FWIW, I'm 30, and I can only ever remember the market being run down and with little on sale else than tat. We have a romanticised view of markets in general, but if they don't supply anything that anyone wants then what's the point?

All this talk of regeneration and 'build it and they will come' attitude isn't going to work unless accompanied by a massive uplift in the economy of the town. These schemes are all putting the cart before the horse.
NFR - Rochdale market on 11:46 - Sep 27 with 1106 viewsAncoats_Blue

NFR - Rochdale market on 19:01 - Sep 24 by dawlishdale

I'm afraid that those in charge of the Market in Rochdale should hang their heads in shame, and as for the £750k wasted on the Santander building, well...that just about sums up the uselessness of Brett & co. Whoever voted that beauty of an idea through should be made to repay the town from their own pockets.

The new buildings in the Town Centre are generally fine and the architecture of the older buildings is up there with the best in similar sized towns... as long as you don't venture towards Drake Street, which is an appalling slum and needs a complete overhaul. Judgement will be reserved as to whether we needed a third shopping centre whilst there are so many empty units in the other two... I hope my gut feeling is wrong regarding the new centre's likely success.

The elephant in the room that most people are scared to mention is that the Council has for decades, accepted "blood money"from a series of Central Governments in order to house thousands of undesirable people from all over the UK and further afield; people who have been thrown out of other towns and cities for antisocial behaviour, or who have arrived in the UK looking to make a fresh start with the best of intentions. Sadly, a large percentage of them have come to rely on handouts rather than contributing to the growth of the area and this has led to the town not being suitable for the independent and interesting shops that encourage visitors, as a very large percentage of the population have a low disposable income. Instead, the only shops that flourish seem to be pound shops, phone shops and charity shops; hardly stimulating stuff.

Bury market is a wonderful, thriving economic success, admittedly aided by its location in a flat town centre and a Council that has not in recent years been controlled by the loony lefties that we have. There must be 4 or 5 times the number of shops in Bury compared to Rochdale, and whilst there are a few scumbags around, there are nowhere near as many as we have. Begs the question; where did they all come from back in the days when Bury had a football league team?

Hasn't Bury MBC been Lab controlled for the best part of a decade and NoC for a while prior to that?
NFR - Rochdale market on 12:03 - Sep 27 with 1087 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 11:46 - Sep 27 by Ancoats_Blue

Hasn't Bury MBC been Lab controlled for the best part of a decade and NoC for a while prior to that?

Hush with the facts

NFR - Rochdale market on 12:04 - Sep 27 with 1081 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 23:03 - Sep 26 by Dalenet

The Artisan market is being held again in the town on Saturday. Would be nice for us all to rally round and visit and show a bit of support before the town loses that too.

I was just thinking that, I’ll give it a go tomorrow

Login to get fewer ads

NFR - Rochdale market on 12:15 - Sep 27 with 1057 viewsdawlishdale

NFR - Rochdale market on 12:03 - Sep 27 by rochdaleriddler

Hush with the facts

It's over 12 years since my company last had dealings with Bury MBC, but those representing them at meetings held at that time were all Tory.
I think you are correct in that the make up of their council has altered since then.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024