Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFR - Rochdale market 19:22 - Sep 16 with 10950 viewsDalenet

A sad day - it has been announced that the market will be closed down in October. Despite the money spent on the relocation it is losing money. It is a sad state when a market in a town the size of Rochdale isn't sustainable. I would have hoped the council would persevere until the new shopping centre was open next year and see what footfall was like then. Very shortsighted decision but I guess you can't fight change.
NFR - Rochdale market on 09:46 - Sep 19 with 2761 viewsD_Alien

NFR - Rochdale market on 08:43 - Sep 19 by mingthemerciless

Yes, I know the stall you mean. Very nice people. What I'd like to know is what's happening to the large space the market vacated ? The talk was at the time of building a gym there but nothing has happened since they all moved out.

That's a very good question ming

I'm sure Rochdale Council isn't unique in having a Department for the Creation of Useless Empty Spaces, but ours seems to be busier than most

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NFR - Rochdale market on 10:12 - Sep 19 with 2726 viewsEllDale

The daft thing is that you walk through a deserted, disused indoor market to reach the toilets which are shockingly sited.
if I was a woman I won't want to be walking through that area.
NFR - Rochdale market on 22:29 - Sep 19 with 2604 viewsArthurDaley

NFR - Rochdale market on 07:52 - Sep 19 by EllDale

To be honest my first reaction when I heard the news was "what's going to happen that nice old lady and her sons who run the stall which sells watches and batteries?".
Markets seem to flourish in some towns and be moribund in others.
Huddersfield built a brand new indoor market hall 40 years ago which is now virtually empty and which the council are talking about knocking down whereas Halifax has a decent market.
It still has half a dozen butchers and a couple of fishmongers although the customer demographic seems be mainly aged 50+
My mother still gets the bus every week from Rochdale to Bury to go on the market there but she remarks that it seems to be closing around 3.00pm each afternoon once the coach trippers have left.
I understand that artisan and continental markets are fashionable these days but a lot of people consider them to be relatively expensive. A far cry from the 1900's when my grandmother used to recall going to Rochdale market around 8.00pm on a Saturday night when traders were selling perishable food off at rock bottom prices.
I remember the same market in the 1960's and early 1970's through rosetinted glasses because I suspect that it was starting to decline even then as the large supermarkets started to be built.

Your first sentence , is what er indoors would like to know. She needed two watch batteries the other week. So went in Timsons on the Walk. Should have asked the price. She was charged £9-95 each. She was not happy.

A large VAT Dave

NFR - Rochdale market on 13:16 - Sep 20 with 2488 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR - Rochdale market on 22:29 - Sep 19 by ArthurDaley

Your first sentence , is what er indoors would like to know. She needed two watch batteries the other week. So went in Timsons on the Walk. Should have asked the price. She was charged £9-95 each. She was not happy.

Bloody hell, you could buy a new watch for that !
NFR - Rochdale market on 20:23 - Sep 20 with 2355 viewsNogintheNog

NFR - Rochdale market on 22:29 - Sep 19 by ArthurDaley

If the old lady does`nt turn up somewhere else in town try Shoemaster on Yorkshire St. £4.50 fitted.
NFR - Rochdale market on 09:07 - Sep 21 with 2286 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR - Rochdale market on 20:23 - Sep 20 by NogintheNog

If the old lady does`nt turn up somewhere else in town try Shoemaster on Yorkshire St. £4.50 fitted.

I go to that watch shop that is the one place that is still open in the old open market. Just near where the public toilets are. They're nice people and quite cheap also.
NFR - Rochdale market on 11:47 - Sep 22 with 2141 viewsR17ALE

Depressingly this story has a link to it from the BBC website where it states the market has existed since 1851 before being taken over by the Council in September 2018, and now it is due to close.

There is a rather large elephant in the room here or am I missing something?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

NFR - Rochdale market on 14:39 - Sep 22 with 2052 viewsEllDale

So who owned it for all that time?
A private company? The Manor of Rochdale? My uncle collected rents from the stall holders for years and worked from an upstairs office on Toad Lane but I always presumed that he worked for the council.
Login to get fewer ads

NFR - Rochdale market on 08:55 - Sep 23 with 1895 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 11:47 - Sep 22 by R17ALE

Depressingly this story has a link to it from the BBC website where it states the market has existed since 1851 before being taken over by the Council in September 2018, and now it is due to close.

There is a rather large elephant in the room here or am I missing something?

The market was run by the council for donkeys years, they had a markets officer, they didn’t own the space, and left the exchange location when the lease ran out.

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

NFR - Rochdale market on 09:00 - Sep 23 with 1884 viewsQuigley_dale

NFR - Rochdale market on 08:55 - Sep 23 by rochdaleriddler

The market was run by the council for donkeys years, they had a markets officer, they didn’t own the space, and left the exchange location when the lease ran out.

Are you the official council appologist? 🙄
NFR - Rochdale market on 10:43 - Sep 23 with 1801 viewsR17ALE

NFR - Rochdale market on 08:55 - Sep 23 by rochdaleriddler

I did wonder if that was the case, but the BBC report clearly suggested otherwise.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

NFR - Rochdale market on 13:22 - Sep 23 with 1710 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 09:00 - Sep 23 by Quigley_dale

Are you the official council appologist? 🙄

No

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

NFR - Rochdale market on 23:00 - Sep 23 with 1587 viewsrochdale_ranger

NFR - Rochdale market on 13:22 - Sep 23 by rochdaleriddler

No

Went over to Rochdale for a drink on the train Saturday daytime. (First time I’ve been out in Rochdale for a while) was quite pleasant. To be honest the market looked pretty poor. The overwhelming thing that you are hit by when you get off the train at Rochdale is how barren and quiet it is in that area. I also got the last train to Manchester in the evening I wouldn’t like to walk upto the train station at night if I was a female, very dark and poorly lit. Also full of weirdos up there at that time.
NFR - Rochdale market on 07:57 - Sep 24 with 1485 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 23:00 - Sep 23 by rochdale_ranger

Went over to Rochdale for a drink on the train Saturday daytime. (First time I’ve been out in Rochdale for a while) was quite pleasant. To be honest the market looked pretty poor. The overwhelming thing that you are hit by when you get off the train at Rochdale is how barren and quiet it is in that area. I also got the last train to Manchester in the evening I wouldn’t like to walk upto the train station at night if I was a female, very dark and poorly lit. Also full of weirdos up there at that time.

Tram job to and from for me, it’s not that pleasant near the station in the day !

NFR - Rochdale market on 08:27 - Sep 24 with 1464 viewsmingthemerciless

I get the tram all the time now. I know it takes longer than the train but when you factor in the walk up to the station and the walk from Victoria into the centre of town it's not that bad. Also the trams are so regular and it seems there's alway one waiting to go.
[Post edited 24 Sep 2019 8:31]
NFR - Rochdale market on 09:57 - Sep 24 with 1404 viewsnordenblue

NFR - Rochdale market on 23:00 - Sep 23 by rochdale_ranger

What if you was a very light, well lit female instead....
NFR - Rochdale market on 12:28 - Sep 24 with 1313 viewsDaleiLama

NFR - Rochdale market on 09:57 - Sep 24 by nordenblue

What if you was a very light, well lit female instead....

Ranger is Florence Nightingale?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

NFR - Rochdale market on 12:29 - Sep 24 with 1301 viewsD_Alien

NFR - Rochdale market on 12:28 - Sep 24 by DaleiLama

Ranger is Florence Nightingale?

There's been no crime here...

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

NFR - Rochdale market on 16:08 - Sep 24 with 1221 viewsrochedale

It’s hardly surprising that the market has gone, the only stall worth a visit on there was the watch stall. I walked past once and there was a stall selling boxes of cereal! There were stalls with really crappy clothes and basically just tatt. I’d guess most people would now buy their groceries on their weekly big shop. The Artisan is well worth a visit though, how long before the novelty of that wears off though?

The only places I know of where a market thrives are those at small towns who are 30 years behind other towns, such as Todmorden, oh, and Bury.

The £750k spent on the Santander building to transform into an indoor market was an absolute joke. An indoor market? Really? It’s a fish shop and a veg shop! What an absolute waste of money.

With regards comments on the new town centre, I for one, am of the opinion it looks great and is in good vernacular style to the surroundings. The orange/brown goes well with the brickwork of the Regal Moon and what was the Wellington, and viewed from The medicine tap fits in well. Once Nando’s and a few other eateries are in there along with a few more shops, Topshop, Primark etc, it will be well worth a visit.

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

NFR - Rochdale market on 17:45 - Sep 24 with 1167 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR - Rochdale market on 16:08 - Sep 24 by rochedale

It’s hardly surprising that the market has gone, the only stall worth a visit on there was the watch stall. I walked past once and there was a stall selling boxes of cereal! There were stalls with really crappy clothes and basically just tatt. I’d guess most people would now buy their groceries on their weekly big shop. The Artisan is well worth a visit though, how long before the novelty of that wears off though?

The only places I know of where a market thrives are those at small towns who are 30 years behind other towns, such as Todmorden, oh, and Bury.

The £750k spent on the Santander building to transform into an indoor market was an absolute joke. An indoor market? Really? It’s a fish shop and a veg shop! What an absolute waste of money.

With regards comments on the new town centre, I for one, am of the opinion it looks great and is in good vernacular style to the surroundings. The orange/brown goes well with the brickwork of the Regal Moon and what was the Wellington, and viewed from The medicine tap fits in well. Once Nando’s and a few other eateries are in there along with a few more shops, Topshop, Primark etc, it will be well worth a visit.

I can't say I'm made about the orange/brown cladding. I think grey would have been better. I can see why the architects chose it though. It is in keeping with the other nearby buildings.
NFR - Rochdale market on 19:01 - Sep 24 with 1129 viewsdawlishdale

NFR - Rochdale market on 16:08 - Sep 24 by rochedale

I'm afraid that those in charge of the Market in Rochdale should hang their heads in shame, and as for the £750k wasted on the Santander building, well...that just about sums up the uselessness of Brett & co. Whoever voted that beauty of an idea through should be made to repay the town from their own pockets.

The new buildings in the Town Centre are generally fine and the architecture of the older buildings is up there with the best in similar sized towns... as long as you don't venture towards Drake Street, which is an appalling slum and needs a complete overhaul. Judgement will be reserved as to whether we needed a third shopping centre whilst there are so many empty units in the other two... I hope my gut feeling is wrong regarding the new centre's likely success.

The elephant in the room that most people are scared to mention is that the Council has for decades, accepted "blood money"from a series of Central Governments in order to house thousands of undesirable people from all over the UK and further afield; people who have been thrown out of other towns and cities for antisocial behaviour, or who have arrived in the UK looking to make a fresh start with the best of intentions. Sadly, a large percentage of them have come to rely on handouts rather than contributing to the growth of the area and this has led to the town not being suitable for the independent and interesting shops that encourage visitors, as a very large percentage of the population have a low disposable income. Instead, the only shops that flourish seem to be pound shops, phone shops and charity shops; hardly stimulating stuff.

Bury market is a wonderful, thriving economic success, admittedly aided by its location in a flat town centre and a Council that has not in recent years been controlled by the loony lefties that we have. There must be 4 or 5 times the number of shops in Bury compared to Rochdale, and whilst there are a few scumbags around, there are nowhere near as many as we have. Begs the question; where did they all come from back in the days when Bury had a football league team?
NFR - Rochdale market on 19:08 - Sep 24 with 1110 viewsmingthemerciless

NFR - Rochdale market on 19:01 - Sep 24 by dawlishdale

I'm afraid that those in charge of the Market in Rochdale should hang their heads in shame, and as for the £750k wasted on the Santander building, well...that just about sums up the uselessness of Brett & co. Whoever voted that beauty of an idea through should be made to repay the town from their own pockets.

The new buildings in the Town Centre are generally fine and the architecture of the older buildings is up there with the best in similar sized towns... as long as you don't venture towards Drake Street, which is an appalling slum and needs a complete overhaul. Judgement will be reserved as to whether we needed a third shopping centre whilst there are so many empty units in the other two... I hope my gut feeling is wrong regarding the new centre's likely success.

The elephant in the room that most people are scared to mention is that the Council has for decades, accepted "blood money"from a series of Central Governments in order to house thousands of undesirable people from all over the UK and further afield; people who have been thrown out of other towns and cities for antisocial behaviour, or who have arrived in the UK looking to make a fresh start with the best of intentions. Sadly, a large percentage of them have come to rely on handouts rather than contributing to the growth of the area and this has led to the town not being suitable for the independent and interesting shops that encourage visitors, as a very large percentage of the population have a low disposable income. Instead, the only shops that flourish seem to be pound shops, phone shops and charity shops; hardly stimulating stuff.

Bury market is a wonderful, thriving economic success, admittedly aided by its location in a flat town centre and a Council that has not in recent years been controlled by the loony lefties that we have. There must be 4 or 5 times the number of shops in Bury compared to Rochdale, and whilst there are a few scumbags around, there are nowhere near as many as we have. Begs the question; where did they all come from back in the days when Bury had a football league team?

Have you ever asked yourself why the Council felt the need to accept the " Blood Money " ? Have you ever considered that the cuts inflicted by this Austerity Government left the Council with no option ?
NFR - Rochdale market on 19:30 - Sep 24 with 1076 viewsrochdaleriddler

NFR - Rochdale market on 19:01 - Sep 24 by dawlishdale

Brett and farnell are many things, and I’m certainly not a fan, but loony left? Do me a favour they have presided over all sorts of cuts to pay and conditions of low paid staff. They are not in any sense left wing.

NFR - Rochdale market on 20:50 - Sep 24 with 1029 viewsrochdale_ranger

NFR - Rochdale market on 19:30 - Sep 24 by rochdaleriddler

Brett and farnell are many things, and I’m certainly not a fan, but loony left? Do me a favour they have presided over all sorts of cuts to pay and conditions of low paid staff. They are not in any sense left wing.

Living standards go up when right wing free marketeers are running the show. All lefties do is line their own pockets. Four legs good, two legs bad.

NFR - Rochdale market on 21:38 - Sep 24 with 992 viewssoulboy

NFR - Rochdale market on 20:50 - Sep 24 by rochdale_ranger

Living standards go up when right wing free marketeers are running the show. All lefties do is line their own pockets. Four legs good, two legs bad.

I wouldn't have thought the directors of the now bust Thomas Cook were lefties.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024