Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best players who never made it 19:42 - Nov 20 with 5680 viewsMrSheen

Leaving aside our own, who are the best players you’ve seen, who you raved about to your mates afterwards, whose careers either failed to take off or who vanished without a trace?

I’ll start with Dean Connolly. I was at a loose end one bank holiday in the early 90s, and made my annual trip to Griffin Park. Brentford crushed Wigan 4-0. The visitors were pretty hopeless except for Connolly, who was fantastic on the ball and incredibly quick to find a pass to a team mate, who quickly lost the ball. At one point, he took the ball with his back to goal about 30 yards out, lost three defenders with a turn and a trick and smashed the ball against the bar. And was then taken off.

At the time he was on loan from Barnsley in the next league up, which didn’t surprise me given his air of superiority and an obvious lack of conditioning. Google tells me he was originally a Celtic junior but was picked up by Arsenal in his teens. Barnsley let him go soon after and I never heard of him again. I can’t forget how talented he looked. I wonder what happened.
Best players who never made it on 12:20 - Nov 22 with 925 viewsMrSheen

Best players who never made it on 11:07 - Nov 22 by aston_hoop

the new Islam feruz!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_Feruz

Wow, perfect match for Ch*ls**.
Best players who never made it on 12:27 - Nov 22 with 910 viewsloftboy

Best players who never made it on 12:09 - Nov 22 by Rs_Holy

signed him for peanuts allegedly?

Bet there’s not many on here under 45 who gets that reference.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Best players who never made it on 12:29 - Nov 22 with 907 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Michael Johnson. Apparently the last Mancunian to play in the Manchester Derby. Dietmar Hamann thought he could have been as good as Michael Ballack before he went into meltdown.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best players who never made it on 12:40 - Nov 22 with 879 viewsMrSheen

Best players who never made it on 12:29 - Nov 22 by CliveWilsonSaid

Michael Johnson. Apparently the last Mancunian to play in the Manchester Derby. Dietmar Hamann thought he could have been as good as Michael Ballack before he went into meltdown.

For City, maybe. Rashford is a local boy.
Best players who never made it on 12:59 - Nov 22 with 858 viewsClive_Anderson

Michael Ricketts was one of the best strikers in the Premier League for about a year. He just fell off a cliff.

I always thought Darren Huckerby was going to be a regular for England for years when he started out at Coventry.

[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 13:01]
Best players who never made it on 13:04 - Nov 22 with 848 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Best players who never made it on 12:40 - Nov 22 by MrSheen

For City, maybe. Rashford is a local boy.

So he is. Maybe it was an out of date article I was reading.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Best players who never made it on 13:07 - Nov 22 with 837 viewsW7Ranger

Would Joe Hart fit in to this category?
Best players who never made it on 13:16 - Nov 22 with 826 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ben Sahar

Just checked it was 12 years ago we loaned him!

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Best players who never made it on 14:42 - Nov 22 with 764 viewsaston_hoop

Oh, Micah Richards. I remember seeing him as a teenager and thinking there was no way he wouldn't go on to be the best centre back in the world. Looked like he had everything. Yeah he played in the prem for years and for England, but he could have been on another level to where he ended up.
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 14:44]

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Best players who never made it on 15:24 - Nov 22 with 736 viewsdaveB

Kevin Kingsmore, 80's goalscoring machine for QPR youth team, always saw his name in programme, no idea what happened to him and in all honesty I might have imagined him as I've never met anyone who has heard of him.
Best players who never made it on 15:49 - Nov 22 with 712 viewsEsox_Lucius

Barry Conlon who was prolific in our youth team around 96-97; was sold to Man City and spent his whole career in the lower reaches of the league.

The grass is always greener.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024