Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best players who never made it 19:42 - Nov 20 with 5662 viewsMrSheen

Leaving aside our own, who are the best players you’ve seen, who you raved about to your mates afterwards, whose careers either failed to take off or who vanished without a trace?

I’ll start with Dean Connolly. I was at a loose end one bank holiday in the early 90s, and made my annual trip to Griffin Park. Brentford crushed Wigan 4-0. The visitors were pretty hopeless except for Connolly, who was fantastic on the ball and incredibly quick to find a pass to a team mate, who quickly lost the ball. At one point, he took the ball with his back to goal about 30 yards out, lost three defenders with a turn and a trick and smashed the ball against the bar. And was then taken off.

At the time he was on loan from Barnsley in the next league up, which didn’t surprise me given his air of superiority and an obvious lack of conditioning. Google tells me he was originally a Celtic junior but was picked up by Arsenal in his teens. Barnsley let him go soon after and I never heard of him again. I can’t forget how talented he looked. I wonder what happened.
Best players who never made it on 13:36 - Nov 21 with 1437 viewsaston_hoop

Best players who never made it on 13:25 - Nov 21 by Tonto

For those of us of a certain age and who played football manager....

Freddy Ado

Thats a whole thread of its own! Tonton Zola Mokoko and Cherno Samba anyone?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Best players who never made it on 13:37 - Nov 21 with 1432 viewsMrSheen

Freddy Ado

Before him, there was ...Nii Lamptey. The African Pele, the next global superstar. Played against us for Villa in 1994. Didn't make the Coventry squad on that day that won't be mentioned. Read his tragic life story here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nii_Lamptey
Features a despicable cameo from a former QPR director.
Best players who never made it on 14:42 - Nov 21 with 1352 viewsWoodlaneR

Marvin Robinson. Saw him come on as a sub against us for Tranmere in 2003. We were 1-0 up, he came on got a goal and assist I think and won the game for them. He looked unplayable that day..... Ended up as a lower league/ non league journey man.
Best players who never made it on 14:51 - Nov 21 with 1340 viewsHantsR

Best players who never made it on 14:42 - Nov 21 by WoodlaneR

Marvin Robinson. Saw him come on as a sub against us for Tranmere in 2003. We were 1-0 up, he came on got a goal and assist I think and won the game for them. He looked unplayable that day..... Ended up as a lower league/ non league journey man.

I seem to remember that we were winning that game but threw it away when Danny Murphy and Lee Cook contrived to give the ball away. Maybe it was to Marvin Robinson?
Best players who never made it on 14:52 - Nov 21 with 1338 viewsqueensparker

One from leftfield, but always think of pre-injury Kevin Gallen.

After that game at Portsmouth and a year/18 months out, he was never the same player at all. Medical science was different back then and a cruciate was a much bigger deal.

Reckon he'd have played for England and in the top division for years instead of Huddersfield, Barnsley and us when we were in the sh*t.
Best players who never made it on 15:15 - Nov 21 with 1311 viewsbob566

Bently. Can't remember his first name. Some Blackburn wizard or so that signed for arsenal and then spuds and then spontaneously combusted.
Best players who never made it on 15:28 - Nov 21 with 1300 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best players who never made it on 13:36 - Nov 21 by aston_hoop

Thats a whole thread of its own! Tonton Zola Mokoko and Cherno Samba anyone?

Dean Shiels, Justin Georcelin.

The days when you could groom 16 year olds

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best players who never made it on 16:00 - Nov 21 with 1251 viewsJJB

Is Brian Croft still one for the future?

Remember The White City Fighting?
Poll: Would you like to see the return of Mr Warnock?

Login to get fewer ads

Best players who never made it on 16:20 - Nov 21 with 1225 viewsAntti_Heinola

Best players who never made it on 15:15 - Nov 21 by bob566

Bently. Can't remember his first name. Some Blackburn wizard or so that signed for arsenal and then spuds and then spontaneously combusted.

david bentley. started at Arsenal, then Blackburn, then Spuds.
I think Redknapp said he was the worst trainer he ever saw. did play for england to be fair, but retired early and yes, never fulfilled potential.

Bare bones.

Best players who never made it on 16:27 - Nov 21 with 1213 viewsPeterHucker

Jamal Campbell-Ryce.
When he was a teenager he played against us for Orient and I thought he was going to be a superstar.
It's very unfair to say he's "never made it" because he's got lots of caps for Jamaica and Wikipedia tells me that he's made nearly 500 League appearances. But nearly all of those are in League 1 or League 2 which is a bit of a letdown because I thought he was destined for the Champions League!
Best players who never made it on 16:32 - Nov 21 with 1199 viewsClive_Anderson

I thought Jerome Thomas was going to go all the way to the top after seeing him on loan for us. He used to tear teams to pieces in the third tier.
Best players who never made it on 19:38 - Nov 21 with 1109 viewsLongsufferingR

Freddy Ado

Nah, can't agree with that one. I thought he was much Ado about nothing.
Best players who never made it on 19:51 - Nov 21 with 1096 viewsRangersDave

I always thought that there were good players trying to escape from their fast but ultimately non deadly prowess in both Iorfa, and Dou Dou.

Remember one christmas at home against, i think it was Burnley, Dou Dou running the right wing and getting fouled twice for 2 Burnley sendings off.

Fast? Christ yes, both of them, and Iorfa did score a bit in the reserves but both came to nowt.

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Best players who never made it on 20:12 - Nov 21 with 1074 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

One that did, one that didn’t:

Best players who never made it on 20:47 - Nov 21 with 1040 viewslave16

Best players who never made it on 20:12 - Nov 21 by BazzaInTheLoft

One that did, one that didn’t:

Leon Jeanne

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Best players who never made it on 20:57 - Nov 21 with 1031 viewsMedwayR

I thought Dennis Oli was going to have a far better career than he did. Leon Jeanne too of course. Alvaro Vadillo looked incredible for Real Betis but got a serious injury, he’s currently playing for Granada and still only 25. One I spotted a few years ago was Solo Traore for Barcelona’s youth teams, I made a bit of his name, I reckon he’d be about 14-15 now so it’ll be interesting to see if he makes it.

Poll: Who’s better?

Best players who never made it on 01:39 - Nov 22 with 970 viewsLoftgirl

Best players who never made it on 09:43 - Nov 21 by PinnerPaul

Denis Bailey

Hallelujah, hallelujah.
Best players who never made it on 01:50 - Nov 22 with 965 viewsBoston

Best players who never made it on 20:00 - Nov 20 by paulparker

Jimmy carter should have gone further I remember watching him at a reserve game for QPR in the late eighties he was skill full as hell
Paul Lake had the world at his feet before injury crippled him
Lee power tore us a new one year for Norwich but didn’t do anything after

Yeah, Jimmy Carter. Looked good, then transferred to Washington....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Best players who never made it on 02:18 - Nov 22 with 956 viewslave16

Best players who never made it on 01:50 - Nov 22 by Boston

Jesé Rodríguez Ruiz --- looked decent at real Madrid then went to stoke

Samba Diakite .... looked class until his first tackle or 2 footed lunge where description fits
[Post edited 22 Nov 2019 2:28]

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Best players who never made it on 10:31 - Nov 22 with 841 viewspaesanu

Federico Macheda.

Dragged Fergie's Man U to a title near the end of a particular season.. and then what. Probably in his late 20s now.

Also Januzaj around that time maybe? Was supposed to fill Giggs' boots.

Poll: If you see someone filming their partner driving at 160mph.. would you

Best players who never made it on 11:04 - Nov 22 with 815 viewsMrSheen

There’s a 16 year old kid at Celtic called Karamoko Dembélé. He played for their Under 20s at 13 and has already played for the senior team. He was born in London to Ivorian parents, but moved to Glasgow as a baby. He’s played for England U-15s, Scotland U-16s and both England and Scotland U-17s! He’ll probably decide he wants to be an optician in a couple of years.
Best players who never made it on 11:07 - Nov 22 with 810 viewsaston_hoop

Best players who never made it on 11:04 - Nov 22 by MrSheen

There’s a 16 year old kid at Celtic called Karamoko Dembélé. He played for their Under 20s at 13 and has already played for the senior team. He was born in London to Ivorian parents, but moved to Glasgow as a baby. He’s played for England U-15s, Scotland U-16s and both England and Scotland U-17s! He’ll probably decide he wants to be an optician in a couple of years.

the new Islam feruz!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_Feruz

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Best players who never made it on 11:41 - Nov 22 with 780 viewsSnipper

Stuart Slater of West Ham had a couple of great performances when he was starting out. He was tipped for greatness.

He ended up playing for Celtic & Ipswich, which is better than most, but I think he only played for England U19s.

Everybody was raving about him at the time.
Best players who never made it on 11:54 - Nov 22 with 764 viewsBuckR

Young lad we had on Loan from the Chels*a a few years back, Jimmy Smith. Looked the part and scored some worldies but never made the grade above league 2 I think
Best players who never made it on 12:09 - Nov 22 with 742 viewsRs_Holy

Best players who never made it on 01:50 - Nov 22 by Boston

signed him for peanuts allegedly?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024