Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A long walk. 22:37 - Mar 6 with 3344 viewsqpr_1968

before i could drive, 1993, used to walk everywhere.
since then, become reliant on the car and lazy.
but a couple of years ago decided to take a nice long walk from shepherds bush, picked up the thames from kew bridge and walked all the way to teddington lock, don't know how far that was, but knackered me, and after a few pints at the lock, walked down to twickenham and got the 267 back to hammersmith.

my question to you chaps is how far have you walked non stop over the course of a day or two.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

A long walk. on 13:43 - Mar 7 with 674 viewsdistortR

A long walk. on 12:19 - Mar 7 by TacticalR

@ted_hendrix 'Probably the hardest was In West Germany when we spent three days and nights on foot again advancing to contact, sleeping on the ground or in a ditch, getting up and going again all in full battle gear and on basic army rations of a tin of processed bloody cheese, a small packet of dried biscuits and a bottle of water twice a day'

I remember reading somewhere that the Samurai were supposed to be able to be on the move for a day and a night and be ready for battle. However, I wonder how effective people who haven't slept for a night can be.

tbf, my wife is a care worker, and when she comes back from a night shift she's bloody terrifying.
A long walk. on 13:45 - Mar 7 with 670 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A long walk. on 07:31 - Mar 7 by MrSheen

True, I was passing Kew Gardens a few weeks ago and the river was about three inches below the level of the path. Put a spring in my step.

I was walking towards Richmond Bridge last month and the tide was up on the bank. I thought I could still get along but had to turn back. By this time the river had come up behind me and I had to splash my way back to safety. Also got splashed by a car that day!

The stretch of river from Kew Bridge up to Barnes and Putney is also a favourite of mine.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

A long walk. on 13:48 - Mar 7 with 652 viewsdenhamhoop2

Had a mate who when younger walked from Cardiff where his grandparents lived to his home in Southall Middlesex took him 5 days as for me I have walked 10 miles to work when it's snowed as the Bus hasn't run
A long walk. on 17:05 - Mar 7 with 588 viewshantssi

A long walk. on 12:58 - Mar 7 by stowmarketrange

IT took me about 12 hours for the Yorkshire trek,but I was going so slowly for the last 5 miles that people in wheelchairs offered to swap places with me.
I need the motivation of a charity trek to get me doing anything,as there aren’t that many walks round here that I enjoy.Maybe when things open up properly again I might get out a bit more.
I definitely need to get some weight off that has magically appeared in the last 12 months.

First time it took me about 10.5 hours just wasn’t prepared at all.
I was 28 at the time and had the embarrassment of a little old lady offering to help me up when I couldn’t get up after I’d finished.
Still got the 3 Peaks Club and tie which you get if you complete in less than 12 hours if you sign out/in at the cafe in Horton.
Final time I did it for Mencap and the company I worked for offered to double my donation if I did it in less than 8 hours, gave me the right motivation!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:07]
A long walk. on 04:38 - Mar 8 with 516 viewsstowmarketrange

A long walk. on 17:05 - Mar 7 by hantssi

First time it took me about 10.5 hours just wasn’t prepared at all.
I was 28 at the time and had the embarrassment of a little old lady offering to help me up when I couldn’t get up after I’d finished.
Still got the 3 Peaks Club and tie which you get if you complete in less than 12 hours if you sign out/in at the cafe in Horton.
Final time I did it for Mencap and the company I worked for offered to double my donation if I did it in less than 8 hours, gave me the right motivation!
[Post edited 7 Mar 2021 17:07]

I was 55 when I walked it for the one and only time.I wish I’d started walking long distances before my knees were knackered,but there were too many other things to do with my time.
My brother used to do the pennine way and assorted other walks in the late 70’s,but I always thought he was mad.Now I realise he wasn’t after all.
A long walk. on 06:18 - Mar 8 with 502 viewsMrSheen

A long walk. on 04:38 - Mar 8 by stowmarketrange

I was 55 when I walked it for the one and only time.I wish I’d started walking long distances before my knees were knackered,but there were too many other things to do with my time.
My brother used to do the pennine way and assorted other walks in the late 70’s,but I always thought he was mad.Now I realise he wasn’t after all.

I had to cancel my first Pennine Way trip last year, can't wait to have a go at it.

My friend's son has been going off walking since he was about 15. He says it's one of the few adventures you can have as a teenager. He heads off on his own or with a friend and they basically sleep in hedges! He's been all over - Pennine Way, Pembrokeshire, Dartmoor. Not bad for a boy from South Ealing.
A long walk. on 08:50 - Mar 8 with 460 viewshantssi

A long walk. on 06:18 - Mar 8 by MrSheen

I had to cancel my first Pennine Way trip last year, can't wait to have a go at it.

My friend's son has been going off walking since he was about 15. He says it's one of the few adventures you can have as a teenager. He heads off on his own or with a friend and they basically sleep in hedges! He's been all over - Pennine Way, Pembrokeshire, Dartmoor. Not bad for a boy from South Ealing.

I too was 15 when I started at school (eternally grateful to Mr Maguire) in Wembley, but far from the mountains but got away at least 3 to 4 times a year.
With friends we used to use the YHA Hostels which as 16 year olds worked really well.
Coming up fast on 60 now so not sure if I’d fancy the Yorkshire 3 Peaks now (first at 55 takes some doing!) but was discussing with mates doing the UK 3 Peaks of Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon, but for this you need a support team plus Ben Nevis is a long way from Portsmouth!!
A long walk. on 09:20 - Mar 8 with 452 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Tiger Feet walk KP/Loftus Road to Vicarage Road in 2011.

25 degree heat too.

Beautiful walk chosen by Ian. (apart from that big f-off hill)

Well worth it for the cause and the result.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

A long walk. on 09:43 - Mar 8 with 436 viewsted_hendrix

A long walk. on 12:19 - Mar 7 by TacticalR

@ted_hendrix 'Probably the hardest was In West Germany when we spent three days and nights on foot again advancing to contact, sleeping on the ground or in a ditch, getting up and going again all in full battle gear and on basic army rations of a tin of processed bloody cheese, a small packet of dried biscuits and a bottle of water twice a day'

I remember reading somewhere that the Samurai were supposed to be able to be on the move for a day and a night and be ready for battle. However, I wonder how effective people who haven't slept for a night can be.

*I remember reading somewhere that the Samurai were supposed to be able to be on the move for a day and a night and be ready for battle. However, I wonder how effective people who haven't slept for a night can be.*

Not only the Samuri but the Zulus could do it too.

Our three day day/night NATO exercise was done at a time of very high tension between the East and West powers 1968) Russian troops were apparently quietly massing along the Czechoslovakian border and of course the bastards did eventually invade Czechoslovakia along with East German troops.
Back then there was a lot of saber rattling but as a squadiie you just got on with it, very dangerous times (wasn't the best walk I'd been on).

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024