Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Necropolis Station! 22:46 - Apr 22 with 6220 viewsMrSheen

I had lunch at a pub called the Duke of Sussex near Waterloo Station today. The floor of the gents has a map of the area from about 100 years ago engraved on it, which was pretty amazing. Not only was there a leadworks, sawmill and brewery on the South Bank waterfront between Westminster and Waterloo Bridges, but there was a London Necropolis Station at the south end of Waterloo Station. Apparently a private company had a mortuary and chapel to receive dead bodies and send them on dedicated trains on the “London Necropolis Railway” straight to Brookwood cemetery and crematorium in Surrey, most famous passenger, Friedrich Engels. First, second and third class coffin tickets available.

I am 56 years old and hadn’t heard of it until I looked at the floor of a pub toilet!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Necropolis_railway_station
London Necropolis Station! on 11:22 - Apr 28 with 1039 viewsBklynRanger

London Necropolis Station! on 11:03 - Apr 28 by Metallica_Hoop

It is.

I've been sitting by the church in the sun these past two weeks reading. Some of the gardens are private as they belong to the temples/Inns.

The Church has a sign saying use West door but I haven't tried it as I've been before.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2021 11:04]

Cheers mate - will look into that
London Necropolis Station! on 17:23 - Apr 28 with 944 viewsRanger_Things

London Necropolis Station! on 10:43 - Apr 28 by BklynRanger

Great article Metallica - do you know if that's still publicly accessible?

As Talli said it's privately owned but you can still go in. They do close access nto Temple one day a year, as a legal thing to stop common law reverting it to the public. I think it's Ascension Day.
London Necropolis Station! on 09:02 - Apr 29 with 849 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Shame Goldsmith's tomb got bombed. It looked great. (the statue is the memorial tablet, tomb is in the foreground)

[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 9:11]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

London Necropolis Station! on 14:14 - May 22 with 701 viewsTacticalR

xianwol is interviewed on today's Payne's Politics (formerly the FT Politics podcast) about the government's reorganisation of the railways.

Unlike the rest of the FT this is not behind the FT's paywall. Starts at 15:45
https://www.ft.com/content/af412307-c262-429f-be87-53cd098a9734

Air hostess clique

London Necropolis Station! on 15:33 - May 22 with 624 viewsTGRRRSSS

Thanks for the bump.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024