Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wing-backs 10:50 - May 8 with 750 viewsMyke

Just wondering what peoples views on wing-backs generally are? Because that influences who fills the role imo. For me, the emphasis is on BACK as opposed to WING, in other words I feel they should be defenders primarily who get forward, rather than attackers who track back. If my view is shared by management then we are looking at Kakay and Wallace next season(assuming Kane,leaves, which ironically will be harder to do with a six game ban still to be fulfilled) I am not sure if either are good/young enough for a sustained pussh for the top six, so we would probably need to recruit both sides.
If on the other hand, the emphasis is on WING, then you are looking at Uncle on the right, where again age is a factor and possible Willock on the left, who could certainly do the job and would leave a space to accommodate Amos.
A third option would be more defensive on one side (say the right) and attacking on the left, but that be a bit unbalanced.
Any thoughts?
[Post edited 8 May 2021 10:51]
Wing-backs on 11:07 - May 8 with 692 viewsgazza1

Wing backs need to be able to do both, they need to get up and down the lines all the time. If they cant then they cant play a wing back. Defence is still vital and imho they need to be able to defend first.

Re your opinions on what we got at our disposal, ie, Wallace and Kakay......they are good enough and they have shown that many times and matches this season.

Why have you got concerns?? What more do you want??
Wing-backs on 11:13 - May 8 with 681 viewsdmm

I assume we'll stick with three at the back next season which will mean wingbacks in a position that demands the player can both defend and attack.

On the left Wallace has shown he can do a good job there but, as you say, age may not be on his side for the full season. The club will probably stick with Niko as cover seeing they've given him a long contract but the doubts about him continue. It would be a shame to play Willock there as the partnership with Chair as two no 10s is one of the most promising aspects of our game.

On the right, I would like to see a new signing. Even though Kakay has shown some improvement I still feel he's short of the quality needed. I don't see Adomah starting there but he's a very useful late sub against a tiring defence. Kane will surely not be here next season.
Wing-backs on 11:23 - May 8 with 648 viewsE15Hoop

Wing-backs on 11:07 - May 8 by gazza1

Wing backs need to be able to do both, they need to get up and down the lines all the time. If they cant then they cant play a wing back. Defence is still vital and imho they need to be able to defend first.

Re your opinions on what we got at our disposal, ie, Wallace and Kakay......they are good enough and they have shown that many times and matches this season.

Why have you got concerns?? What more do you want??

I agree with Gazza on this one. I thought Kakay was our most consistent player in the second half of last season, and I think he's only been hit and miss this season because of not having been a regular starter.

Lee Wallace is obviously a bit suspect pace-wise, but his positional sense has been outstanding this season.

The top priority in the close season has to be signing all 4 current loanees, and then I think it will come to down to what's left in the piggybank to cover off the other areas.
Wing-backs on 11:26 - May 8 with 638 viewsgazza1

Wing-backs on 11:23 - May 8 by E15Hoop

I agree with Gazza on this one. I thought Kakay was our most consistent player in the second half of last season, and I think he's only been hit and miss this season because of not having been a regular starter.

Lee Wallace is obviously a bit suspect pace-wise, but his positional sense has been outstanding this season.

The top priority in the close season has to be signing all 4 current loanees, and then I think it will come to down to what's left in the piggybank to cover off the other areas.

Its a fallacy about Wallace and his pace......he is quick enough to play there. Given the proper management of game time he will be good for us.

We need to spend any spare funds on players/positions we need.
Wing-backs on 11:45 - May 8 with 593 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

In the past I’ve preferred the full back who’s a defender first, similar to the OP. However I’ve really enjoyed watching this side all season and would love to see good attacking players in those roles. Possibly even one good attacking player would be enough considering our options further forward, Chair, Willock and Adomah. From what I’ve seen of Romeo at Millwall that type of player would be ideal but maybe out of reach.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Wing-backs on 12:12 - May 8 with 544 viewscaliforniahoop

Wing-backs on 11:26 - May 8 by gazza1

Its a fallacy about Wallace and his pace......he is quick enough to play there. Given the proper management of game time he will be good for us.

We need to spend any spare funds on players/positions we need.

100% good enough Wallace, pace and skill, that said, he needs to be looked after, I see him as cover for LCB as well as LWB, if Niko can step up next season, we could even get two seasons out of Wallace.
For me, two new wingbacks are required to be safe, for me, there attacking instincts are the first requirement, normally, two holding midfielders play and cover the gaps each side but MW has gone attacking nuts😂 and us playing Johansen as a holding MF, hopefully Field stays and we see them in CM next season.

Enjoy the summer coming and goings, I feel confident for next season.
Wing-backs on 12:23 - May 8 with 522 viewsderbyhoop

Wing backs - depends on who you have at your disposal.
Our CBs look better as a 3 rather than 2 CBs and 2 FBs.

They have to be able to do both sides of the job- defend and offer width going forward.
Given our financial situation, I cannot see a case for replacing Kakay or Wallace for next season, with Kane & Niko as back up. Much greater priorities.

With Cameron going, are we happy with Masterson (and Gubbins) as the backups for CB? Or do we look to move Kakay inside and play Kane when injuries strike, as they inevitably will.?

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024