Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country 08:33 - Nov 5 with 4268 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Japan had a football club three years before Spain.

South Africa having one in 1882 was another surprise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Club_of_Pioneers

Sheffield 1857 by jove.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 08:39 - Nov 5 with 4241 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Aren’t Newell’s Old Boys in Argentina the oldest non British football club?
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 08:58 - Nov 5 with 4202 viewsozranger

The rules of the wiki page are that the club must still exist. That precludes so many clubs that existed well before those mentioned.

Say, in NZ, the Christchurch FC commenced playing "football" from September, 1863 but eventually converted to rugby union. They still exist as such. Canterbury AFC was founded in 1882, well before the Auckland club mentioned but no longer exist. However, even before these, Christ's College was playing football, and continues to this day, from 1854. Also, in Brisbane, Australia, the Petrie-Terrace Club commenced playing under Association football rules from 1876.

So, to call these "Club of Pioneers" is a bit of a misnomer and really should be taken with a pinch of salt.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 09:01 - Nov 5 with 4200 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 08:58 - Nov 5 by ozranger

The rules of the wiki page are that the club must still exist. That precludes so many clubs that existed well before those mentioned.

Say, in NZ, the Christchurch FC commenced playing "football" from September, 1863 but eventually converted to rugby union. They still exist as such. Canterbury AFC was founded in 1882, well before the Auckland club mentioned but no longer exist. However, even before these, Christ's College was playing football, and continues to this day, from 1854. Also, in Brisbane, Australia, the Petrie-Terrace Club commenced playing under Association football rules from 1876.

So, to call these "Club of Pioneers" is a bit of a misnomer and really should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Yeah I should have put still existent but forgot.

Still very interesting though.

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 09:01 - Nov 5 with 4198 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 08:39 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

According to wiki 1903 but didn't click the link.

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 09:23 - Nov 5 with 4160 viewsNewhopphoops

Atlas Guadalajara was founded in 1905 by some old boys from my school, and they copied the school kit. But Pachuca is older; it was set up by Cornish miners apparently.

It's a decent kit though...
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 9:23]
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 09:53 - Nov 5 with 4096 viewsBoston

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 08:39 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

All their goals went in off the post.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:39 - Nov 5 with 3984 viewsMrSheen

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 08:58 - Nov 5 by ozranger

I love all this stuff about club origins. Genoa in Serie A are officially Genoa (not Genova) Cricket and Football Club (1893), AC Milan were founded as Milan (not Milano) Foot-Ball and Cricket Club in 1899.

Aviron Bayonnais rugby club, currently in Pro D2, was started by a boat club - Aviron is French for rowing - and still have oars on their badge.

Preston North End started as a cricket club, founded a rugby section for winter sport and switched fully to football in 1880. League champions 9 years later!
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 12:43]
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:53 - Nov 5 with 3963 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Question...

If Sheffield FC (or anyone else) were the oldest club, who the fck did they play?
Login to get fewer ads

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:54 - Nov 5 with 3962 viewsNewhopphoops

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:39 - Nov 5 by MrSheen

I love all this stuff about club origins. Genoa in Serie A are officially Genoa (not Genova) Cricket and Football Club (1893), AC Milan were founded as Milan (not Milano) Foot-Ball and Cricket Club in 1899.

Aviron Bayonnais rugby club, currently in Pro D2, was started by a boat club - Aviron is French for rowing - and still have oars on their badge.

Preston North End started as a cricket club, founded a rugby section for winter sport and switched fully to football in 1880. League champions 9 years later!

It's the Seville - Betis boat race next Saturday:
https://regatasevillabetis.com/

Think the football came first though...
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 14:15 - Nov 5 with 3900 viewshantssi

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:53 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Question...

If Sheffield FC (or anyone else) were the oldest club, who the fck did they play?

That’s a bloody good question!
Shirts v Skins?!
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 14:17 - Nov 5 with 3893 viewshantssi

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 09:23 - Nov 5 by Newhopphoops

Atlas Guadalajara was founded in 1905 by some old boys from my school, and they copied the school kit. But Pachuca is older; it was set up by Cornish miners apparently.

It's a decent kit though...
[Post edited 5 Nov 2021 9:23]

That’s a great kit, I’ve got the R’s 70’s version of the Feyenoord kit at home.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 17:09 - Nov 5 with 3788 viewsJuzzie

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:53 - Nov 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Question...

They played with themselves.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 18:27 - Nov 5 with 3746 viewsSK_hoops

No wonder they changed from cricket. Time wasting is of no benefit in that sport.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 19:48 - Nov 5 with 3692 viewsqpr_1968

i think, but not sure, that maidenhead have played at york road without ever leaving, since 1871, 150 years. making them the oldest club to do so in the world.

only time i've been to york road was against qpr in a pre season friendly, 1991.
not sure about the result, think it was 1-1 or 1-0 either way.
good day out that was, plenty of r's there, and a nice clubhouse behind one of the goals.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 20:08 - Nov 5 with 3670 viewsVancouverHoop

Question...

The played scratch teams. Many of them put together by the landlords of various pubs in the South Sheffield area.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 20:22 - Nov 5 with 3646 viewsNewBee

Re PNE, quite a few other football clubs were formed by cricket clubs wanting something to do in the winter - Spurs were certainly one.

As for Sheffield Wednesday, according to Wiki, having been "formed in 1867 as an offshoot of The Wednesday Cricket Club (itself formed in 1820), they went by the name of the Wednesday Football Club until changing to their current name in 1929."

Meanwhile, in 1889, members of the Brentford Rowing Club (also Boston Park Cricket Club) decided that the town could do with a football or rugby club for winter games and after a vote in the (old) Oxford & Cambridge pub, opted for football, leading to the formation of you-know-who.

So not just cricket, but cricket and rowing - God we're posh!
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 23:32 - Nov 5 with 3545 viewsMrSheen

There’s a historian called Tony Collins who has written a lot about the emergence of professional team sport from the amateur public school ethos; professional football was one channel, rugby league was another, turning a blind eye to under-the-counter payments a third. Basically, the popular enthusiasm to watch and take part in sport outran the ability of the gents to keep it under their control.

One of the fascinating features is the massive success of the novel Tom Brown’s Schooldays (1857). Before then, each public school had their own football variant, peculiar to them. Old boys met to play under their rules - if they played another old boys club, it was under the special rules of the home team. TBS was a huge Harry Potter style hit, and people all over the country wanted to play “Rugby” football, and more were willing to pay to watch it, hence the desire to find standard rules cross-country. Arguments followed about allowing payments, acceptable levels of violence etc.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 06:43 - Nov 6 with 3479 viewsozranger

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 23:32 - Nov 5 by MrSheen

There’s a historian called Tony Collins who has written a lot about the emergence of professional team sport from the amateur public school ethos; professional football was one channel, rugby league was another, turning a blind eye to under-the-counter payments a third. Basically, the popular enthusiasm to watch and take part in sport outran the ability of the gents to keep it under their control.

One of the fascinating features is the massive success of the novel Tom Brown’s Schooldays (1857). Before then, each public school had their own football variant, peculiar to them. Old boys met to play under their rules - if they played another old boys club, it was under the special rules of the home team. TBS was a huge Harry Potter style hit, and people all over the country wanted to play “Rugby” football, and more were willing to pay to watch it, hence the desire to find standard rules cross-country. Arguments followed about allowing payments, acceptable levels of violence etc.

Tony's a good friend and colleague and yes he's written a lot about the early days of professional football. My memory is that he's a Hull KR fan which may not make Clive too happy. He is retired now but still writes here and there on these early days. You would be surprised at the amount that has actually been written on early "football" by a number of historians around the world.

Actually, I am amazed that we haven't heard from Karl (in fact we haven't heard from him for quite some time) about Ba that is still played in Kirkwall on the Orkney Islands. This is a variant of the old village style games.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 09:18 - Nov 6 with 3402 viewsslmrstid

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 23:32 - Nov 5 by MrSheen

I remember Tom Brown's Schooldays being the chosen text when I did AS Level English Literature. I never did manage to read all of it. No wonder I got a D!

Also, interesting you should compare it to Harry Potter of its day - Quidditch is now a real game that teams do play - Leicester have a Quidditch team that play in one of the city parks where Parkrun is and you'll sometimes see them setting up for a game on a Saturday morning. Its bizarre to watch.

Maybe in 100 years time Quidditch will be the big money spectator sport!

Also good to see Grifone (Genoa) mentioned in this thread. I follow them and its a long time bucket list ambition of mine to get to Luigi Ferraris to watch them play. I'd love to say I follow them because of the oldest club/formed by an Englishman history thing, but actually its because I randomly chose to play as them once on Actua Soccer 3 (they were one of the better rated teams in Serie B) and that was enough to make me start following them for real!

On a similar note, FIFA 2000 is why I also follow Dundee...

There's probably a thread in that actually, rather than take this off on a tangent!
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:32 - Nov 6 with 3354 viewsMrSheen

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 06:43 - Nov 6 by ozranger

Tony's a good friend and colleague and yes he's written a lot about the early days of professional football. My memory is that he's a Hull KR fan which may not make Clive too happy. He is retired now but still writes here and there on these early days. You would be surprised at the amount that has actually been written on early "football" by a number of historians around the world.

Actually, I am amazed that we haven't heard from Karl (in fact we haven't heard from him for quite some time) about Ba that is still played in Kirkwall on the Orkney Islands. This is a variant of the old village style games.

What a coincidence! I can’t remember his name, but I once read a piece by an Australian historian about the disputed origins of Australian Rules Football, with various claims it was descended from an Aboriginal game, others that it was mostly derived from Sheffield rules, eg a consolation point for hitting the post.

Is that Ba like shinty, a cousin of the Gaelic sports? There’s a great clip of a shinty grand final penalty shoot out, won by a keeper getting smashed on the forehead from about ten yards away. His team mates charge on and carry him around the pitch, though he looks barely alive.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 16:28 - Nov 6 with 3295 viewsNewhopphoops

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 19:48 - Nov 5 by qpr_1968

i think, but not sure, that maidenhead have played at york road without ever leaving, since 1871, 150 years. making them the oldest club to do so in the world.

only time i've been to york road was against qpr in a pre season friendly, 1991.
not sure about the result, think it was 1-1 or 1-0 either way.
good day out that was, plenty of r's there, and a nice clubhouse behind one of the goals.

They're in the middle of a cup humdinger https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59180091
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 17:22 - Nov 6 with 3272 viewsqpr_1968

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 16:28 - Nov 6 by Newhopphoops

They're in the middle of a cup humdinger https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59180091

lol, can see one of our games being that score this season.

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 20:44 - Nov 6 with 3212 viewsNewBee

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 20:08 - Nov 5 by VancouverHoop

The played scratch teams. Many of them put together by the landlords of various pubs in the South Sheffield area.

During the early years of "football", there were a number of sets of rules, deriving from Universities and Schools etc. The "Sheffield Rules", originating in, well, Sheffield, were also pretty prominent, alongside the Football Association's set of rules ("Laws", to be precise), which were eventually adopted nationwide:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rules

I think I'm right in saying that the reason we have a half-time break in games dates from the time when two teams who followed different sets of rules played each other.

They would play one half under one set of rules, then the second half under the other.

Another interesting aspect from that period was when schools would play each other, but before proper playing strips were developed. In order to distinguish players on your own side from the opposition, they would wear their own school cap.

From which the tradition of awarding "caps" for representative games developed. Also explains the (Victorian) style of the caps, even today.
Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 21:17 - Nov 6 with 3196 viewsqpr_1968

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 06:55 - Nov 7 with 3096 viewsozranger

Some of the worlds oldest Football clubs by country on 12:32 - Nov 6 by MrSheen

What a coincidence! I can’t remember his name, but I once read a piece by an Australian historian about the disputed origins of Australian Rules Football, with various claims it was descended from an Aboriginal game, others that it was mostly derived from Sheffield rules, eg a consolation point for hitting the post.

Is that Ba like shinty, a cousin of the Gaelic sports? There’s a great clip of a shinty grand final penalty shoot out, won by a keeper getting smashed on the forehead from about ten yards away. His team mates charge on and carry him around the pitch, though he looks barely alive.

Re. Aussie rules, that's really something no one has ever worked out. I think the Winchester college rules were very close as there when you caught the ball you marked it and then stepped back a few steps before a free kick.

Ba is a traditional village game where half of Kirkwall plays the other half. My memory is that it generally starts at the cathedral and heads through the streets towards the water but I could be wrong
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024