Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thank you, Clive! 00:04 - Jun 17 with 9170 viewsbellomatic

I’m unusual here, in that I started watching football in my forties. I’ve got two boys, now aged 9 and 11. When the eldest was 5, I took him to a QPR match. He was swept away with enthusiasm.

The next season we went to a couple of matches. The season after, a couple more than that.

This season we took the plunge a bought season tickets. We’ve had so much fun following the highs and the lows. Bonding memories that I’ll treasure forever.

I’d like to say thank you to the club. The boys have brilliant fun at the Fanzone: wonderful that QPR puts it on for free. Renaming the stadium Kiyan Prince, and putting on the first-ever women’s match at the ground, show it is an organisation with its heart in the right place.

I’d also like to say thank you to the players. Loads of them have stopped for a selfie or a signature. An absolute highlight of the season was when Ilias Chair borrowed our Morocco flag and then gave us his shirt! Off-the-scale excitement. Also loved Albert’s celebration at Birmingham - what a cracker at the one away match we managed.

Most of all, I’d like to say thank you to Clive. He’s been a huge part of my pleasure of following QPR. A few years ago, as someone who knew next-to-nothing about football, I couldn’t really make head or tail of what happened in a game. There’s just so much going on! I’m sure the regulars on this forum don’t appreciate that watching football is a skill. Clive’s keen eye and brilliant turn of phrase have been an education, helping me gradually get better get a better picture of a match… and enjoying it in review when I didn’t. What a talent.

If you read this site regularly, do contribute to his Patreon. Loft for Words is clearly a labour of love and it benefits us all. Clive is too polite to push it, but he deserves every subscriber.

And here’s to the new season! (Just bought seven season tickets... nephews and kids' friends and kids' friend's grandads are joining the throng.)
[Post edited 26 Oct 2023 19:59]
Thank you, Clive! on 08:42 - Oct 27 with 1500 viewskingsburyR

What a thread.

If that doesn't sum up the plight of a QPR fan than nothing does. Well done Bello!!!

I've been taking my 10 yr old daughter for Ranger for three years now. She has a ST this year.

And she still loves going!

You R'ssssssssssssss

(Still bring ing pitch fork tomorrow!)

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Thank you, Clive! on 11:52 - Oct 27 with 1349 viewsPaddyhoops

Superb post. Clive has Been the high point of the last few years .
More often than not he’s been reporting on negative results which can’t be easy however there’s always more humour to be mined from a Shite team and performances and bless him he never disappoints.
I see brighter times ahead as I honestly think we’ve bottomed out now. Regardless of what division were in , I would urge everyone to renew season tickets and stick with the club . We’re needed more than ever now.
We are QPR.
Thank you, Clive! on 12:11 - Oct 27 with 1310 viewsLongsufferingR

Thank you, Clive! on 11:52 - Oct 27 by Paddyhoops

Superb post. Clive has Been the high point of the last few years .
More often than not he’s been reporting on negative results which can’t be easy however there’s always more humour to be mined from a Shite team and performances and bless him he never disappoints.
I see brighter times ahead as I honestly think we’ve bottomed out now. Regardless of what division were in , I would urge everyone to renew season tickets and stick with the club . We’re needed more than ever now.
We are QPR.

This sums up the madness of the situation we're in. It's awful, depressing, lasted for 2 years so far and getting worse, and yet reading that one line "I honestly think we’ve bottomed out now" has me all geed up for tomorrow and I can't wait to go.
Thank you, Clive! on 12:33 - Oct 27 with 1256 viewsthehat

Great thread and yes we are so very lucky to have Clives writing - It really is on another level and I've said it before its the only Patreon I contribute to but its the best £12 that leaves my bank account every month and also supports AKUTR's to which I also buy a hard copy every edition.

My 15 year old Daughter and her two cousins still enjoy going despite the recent defeats and gloom. It's quality time spent with their Dads from the moment we leave the house to the pre match drinks in the Shepherds Bush Pubs and they always burst out laughing seeing their Dads shout and scream at players and officials.

We call it Character Building - Where else would you see a Dad and Daughter hug each other with total strangers then fall over each other and end up 3 rows in front celebrating a last minute Yoann Barbet winner in the Bristol City away end. Moments in life and they don't teach you that at school.
Thank you, Clive! on 12:38 - Oct 27 with 1245 viewsNorthernr

Thanks for the kind words guys. Much needed a week when, over on Twitter, a small gathering of the hard of thinking have decided I'm partially responsible for all this
Thank you, Clive! on 12:45 - Oct 27 with 1210 viewsLongsufferingR

Thank you, Clive! on 12:38 - Oct 27 by Northernr

Thanks for the kind words guys. Much needed a week when, over on Twitter, a small gathering of the hard of thinking have decided I'm partially responsible for all this

Well they have a point. How many goals have you scored for us recently?
Thank you, Clive! on 12:49 - Oct 27 with 1203 viewsbermudabob

Lovely post. My two boys 17 and 14 are hooked, started going to away games as well now. They get how supporting a team like QPR is different to what most of their mates do (never go, means next to nothing).

Completely echo the comments on Clive and this website. I can only imagine how many hours it must involve. Brilliant writing, hilarious, insightful and relatable. Often reframes current experience with a great historical lens.
Thank you, Clive! on 13:32 - Oct 27 with 1116 viewsQPunkR

Thank you, Clive! on 12:45 - Oct 27 by LongsufferingR

Can't argue that at all. Nevertheless, I wouldn't fancy Dykes trying to swap jobs with Clive!

QPR - "shit but local"

Login to get fewer ads

Thank you, Clive! on 13:45 - Oct 27 with 1091 viewsNorthernr

My goals per game record stands up against any of our strikers.
Thank you, Clive! on 14:07 - Oct 27 with 1036 viewsMick_S

Thank you, Clive! on 13:45 - Oct 27 by Northernr

My goals per game record stands up against any of our strikers.

Me too. I’ve got an idea...

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Thank you, Clive! on 14:08 - Oct 27 with 1035 viewsMonkey_Roots

Clive is like a drug dealer, he takes advantage and does well out of the misery, and for us readers, although we know we're in a bad place, we all crave the next hit.

The worse QPR do, the more wonderfully entertaining his reports and previews become. The analogies become darker, and all the more devastatingly cutting. The insults, the language – it all becomes so much more colourful - each paragraph finished off with swig of Red Stripe and a line.

It's been a long time since we were on a good run, so it's hard for me to remember what a positive healthy preview and report run of issues resembles. I reckon it can't have been anywhere near as good - during this time, he's probably more like a Ned Flanders putting out the weekly church bulletin - it's wholesome and sensible, with stock phrases sprinkled in like 'You don't have to mad to work here, but it helps!' as he's spooning natural yoghurt into his stupid face.

Its dark where Clive resides now, and I think he's beginning to like it.
Thank you, Clive! on 15:41 - Oct 27 with 955 viewshantssi

Thank you, Clive! on 20:15 - Oct 26 by bellomatic

I thought I might just catch you up with some 'bellomatic family experiences' in the midst of this diabolical run.

If you think it's bad for us adults, imagine what it is like for the 10 year old who has only seen one win in a year - that's a lifetime! Or for the 13 year old who missed the Watford game. They really can't imagine anything but QPR losing.

Here's how it is panning out:

Coventry - the kids mounted a mini-rebellion saying why do we always lose and why do we support QPR and, horror of horrors, can we support Arsenal. I had a 'good feeling' and managed to drag them along. That worked out well.

Blackburn - something snapped in me in the week before the game. I couldn't face another loss. However, this created some reverse psychology effect on the kids, who became v keen.

WBA - I couldn't face this, although the kids wanted to go as a half term treat. Went to Park Royal Ten Pin instead. Glad about that decision.

Leicester - kids are deliriously excited about the prospect of being destroyed by Jamie Vardy. Not sure what is going on here, psychologically speaking, but at least they are keen to go, I guess.

My son when about 5 or 6 asked why we couldn’t support Arsenal too!
At 7 he was a mascot for the day and treated really well by the club (unfortunately the 2000/01 season) but he was hooked!
He’s now 30 and we don’t go too often but when we do it’s just a great bonding moment.
I can’t really put into words what it was like being with him when Zamora hit the back of the net as the clock ticked over to 90, a moment we’ll never forget!
Thank you, Clive! on 16:09 - Oct 27 with 896 viewsNorthernr

Thank you, Clive! on 14:08 - Oct 27 by Monkey_Roots

Clive is like a drug dealer, he takes advantage and does well out of the misery, and for us readers, although we know we're in a bad place, we all crave the next hit.

The worse QPR do, the more wonderfully entertaining his reports and previews become. The analogies become darker, and all the more devastatingly cutting. The insults, the language – it all becomes so much more colourful - each paragraph finished off with swig of Red Stripe and a line.

It's been a long time since we were on a good run, so it's hard for me to remember what a positive healthy preview and report run of issues resembles. I reckon it can't have been anywhere near as good - during this time, he's probably more like a Ned Flanders putting out the weekly church bulletin - it's wholesome and sensible, with stock phrases sprinkled in like 'You don't have to mad to work here, but it helps!' as he's spooning natural yoghurt into his stupid face.

Its dark where Clive resides now, and I think he's beginning to like it.

You've no idea how close to the truth this is.
Thank you, Clive! on 16:10 - Oct 27 with 883 viewslondonscottish

Yeah. And if Clive can play as a CB, how come he isn't he starting tomorrow?

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Thank you, Clive! on 16:14 - Oct 27 with 868 viewsNorthernr

Thank you, Clive! on 16:10 - Oct 27 by londonscottish

Yeah. And if Clive can play as a CB, how come he isn't he starting tomorrow?

How do you know I'm not?

Jude and I have been working on some combinations. We're giving our all for the shirt. Gareth thinks we're going to surprise one or two people.
Thank you, Clive! on 16:48 - Oct 27 with 814 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Thank you, Clive! on 16:14 - Oct 27 by Northernr

How do you know I'm not?

Jude and I have been working on some combinations. We're giving our all for the shirt. Gareth thinks we're going to surprise one or two people.

#transformation

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Thank you, Clive! on 17:14 - Oct 27 with 768 viewsdenhamhoop2

Thank you, Clive! on 20:15 - Oct 26 by bellomatic

I thought I might just catch you up with some 'bellomatic family experiences' in the midst of this diabolical run.

If you think it's bad for us adults, imagine what it is like for the 10 year old who has only seen one win in a year - that's a lifetime! Or for the 13 year old who missed the Watford game. They really can't imagine anything but QPR losing.

Here's how it is panning out:

Coventry - the kids mounted a mini-rebellion saying why do we always lose and why do we support QPR and, horror of horrors, can we support Arsenal. I had a 'good feeling' and managed to drag them along. That worked out well.

Blackburn - something snapped in me in the week before the game. I couldn't face another loss. However, this created some reverse psychology effect on the kids, who became v keen.

WBA - I couldn't face this, although the kids wanted to go as a half term treat. Went to Park Royal Ten Pin instead. Glad about that decision.

Leicester - kids are deliriously excited about the prospect of being destroyed by Jamie Vardy. Not sure what is going on here, psychologically speaking, but at least they are keen to go, I guess.

The lads are born QPR fans revelling in the dark humour of just how bad we can be and expecting a real hammering. They just wouldn't enjoy Arsenal and getting angry when they lose away in the Champions League oh and good choice of going bowling my 50 plus years of following Rangers I found it hard to stomach such a negative outlook of hoping to nick a 0 0 draw not only are we not good we make games awful to watch
Thank you, Clive! on 00:30 - Oct 28 with 607 viewsqprxtc

I know one tning, and that’s I love you.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024