Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What3words 09:04 - Jul 29 with 2519 viewssoops

Apologies if it's a Spackman, as I'm rarely at the forefront of technological references, but I'm wasting far too much time on this at the moment.
For those who don't know, it's a worldwide map reference - it divides the world into 3 metre squares and gives each square a unique combination of three words.

So, you can see the 3 words that map to your current location / where you sit in Loftus Road etc.
For example:
Queens.park.rangers is near Beacon, New York

There isn't a loft.for.words - nearest is loft.fork.words which is near Easton, Maryland
What3words on 09:56 - Jul 29 with 2406 viewsCroydonCaptJack

It is a great idea and I have the App just in case I get lost in the wilderness. There isn't much wilderness just south of Croydon but I occasionally stray from the Cronx.
What3words on 10:02 - Jul 29 with 2368 viewsQPR_Hibs

I know that you are just talking about specific word combinations on W3W for a bit of fun, but I have always had a bit of an issue with this Company and the way they market themselves. At the end of the day they are a business like any other with the aim of making money. Their database is a closed system. Articles like the one below explain why the app is not as great as it thinks it is:
https://www.walklakes.co.uk/opus64534.html

Anyway, apologies for the rant. Have some fun with the word combinations.

"Remember to listen to me but look at her. Don't get it the wrong way round. That would be hideous."

What3words on 10:09 - Jul 29 with 2329 views1MoreBrightonR

I've kept an eye on this for a while, and I think the technology is pretty amazing BUT I can't actually see how it has much practical use. The wilderness/hiking example is quite good, but beyond that, it feels a bit like a gimmick. I've seen it on some adverts for businesses and it always feels a bit of a stretch to suggest its way easier than an address or postcode to pop in to google maps.
What3words on 11:06 - Jul 29 with 2237 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I haven't needed to use it yet but I thought the idea was good and hadn't appreciated it was a business. I assumed it was to help the search and rescue people etc.
What3words on 11:17 - Jul 29 with 2206 viewsRamseyR

I think it's always wise to have more than one way of locating you. Paper/Googlemaps & What Three Words.

Ist choice for me would be presuming I had a mobile signal to contact the rescuers via that using what three words and/or google maps longitude and latitude to share my location. The main advantage of this is that you can stay with the victim if there's been an accident, and potentially avoid a secondary rescue of the messenger, as these things often happen in poor weather/visibility.

Also great for finding your mates at glastonbury/in a large park etc
What3words on 11:31 - Jul 29 with 2170 viewsE17hoop

Inside the centre circle at LR is universally.winner.driven

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

What3words on 11:43 - Jul 29 with 2135 viewscollegeranger

Told some mates is was at big.sweaty.tits at LeMans this year - they believed me!!
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 11:43]
What3words on 12:21 - Jul 29 with 2053 viewsWokingR

What3words on 11:43 - Jul 29 by collegeranger

Told some mates is was at big.sweaty.tits at LeMans this year - they believed me!!
[Post edited 29 Jul 2022 11:43]

Made me wonder if Bella, the fattest woman in the world, was still one of the fairground attractions at Le Mans
Login to get fewer ads

What3words on 13:09 - Jul 29 with 1962 viewshantssi

What3words on 09:56 - Jul 29 by CroydonCaptJack

It is a great idea and I have the App just in case I get lost in the wilderness. There isn't much wilderness just south of Croydon but I occasionally stray from the Cronx.

As said above, would suggest a map and compass and know how to use them.
In the wilderness (such as it is in the UK!), phone signals drop out quickly and unexpectedly so don’t rely on it.
I speak from experience having met lost walkers relying on their phones!
What3words on 14:28 - Jul 29 with 1872 viewsAirtomoreira

Try this site - all real what3words addresses.

https://www.dailymoss.com/13-hilarious-real-what3word-private-business-addresses
What3words on 17:22 - Jul 29 with 1744 viewsMatch82

What3words on 10:09 - Jul 29 by 1MoreBrightonR

I've kept an eye on this for a while, and I think the technology is pretty amazing BUT I can't actually see how it has much practical use. The wilderness/hiking example is quite good, but beyond that, it feels a bit like a gimmick. I've seen it on some adverts for businesses and it always feels a bit of a stretch to suggest its way easier than an address or postcode to pop in to google maps.

Most practical use is outside developed countries where they don't have as well established postal systems etc
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024