Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
£13m pre tax loss 16:59 - Apr 28 with 2725 viewsDr_Winston

Let the asset stripping accusations commence...

https://www.swanseacity.com/news/swansea-city-confirm-latest-accounts-2

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£13m pre tax loss on 17:31 - Apr 28 with 2637 viewsWhiterockin

I always think the annual accounts not accurate if they don't show how much we still owe for players and how much other clubs owe us. An example would be the transfer of Downes in that account, is it only the money we have received with the rest coming in the next financial year or beyond. Or is it all in there.
£13m pre tax loss on 17:33 - Apr 28 with 2641 viewsEagleEye

Not sure why asset stripping accusations would be a subject for discussion, hardly anyone these days makes such accusations. What is concerning is how the current owners have managed to oversee such a big loss despite the sale of Downes, Obafemi and refusal to fund any additions in January. It will be interesting to see what the new ‘investors’ make of this if/when it actually transpires.

Any idea on the reason for drop in broadcast revenue ? … “Broadcast revenue was £9.2m compared to £21.7m the previous year”
£13m pre tax loss on 17:40 - Apr 28 with 2622 viewsWhiterockin

£13m pre tax loss on 17:33 - Apr 28 by EagleEye

Not sure why asset stripping accusations would be a subject for discussion, hardly anyone these days makes such accusations. What is concerning is how the current owners have managed to oversee such a big loss despite the sale of Downes, Obafemi and refusal to fund any additions in January. It will be interesting to see what the new ‘investors’ make of this if/when it actually transpires.

Any idea on the reason for drop in broadcast revenue ? … “Broadcast revenue was £9.2m compared to £21.7m the previous year”

Obafemi would be in the next accounts.
£13m pre tax loss on 17:47 - Apr 28 with 2614 viewsDr_Winston

These are the accounts to Jul 2022. The previous accounts would have been to Jul 2021, which included parachute payments.

Plenty of people make accusations of asset stripping. Plenty accuse them of lacking ambition by not spending millions in every window when it is patently obvious that the club can't afford it. Can you imagine the howls of outrage if they cut back even more as you seem to suggest they should?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

£13m pre tax loss on 17:58 - Apr 28 with 2542 viewsDr_Parnassus

They didn’t refuse to make any additions in January, they just didn’t materialise for various reasons - none of which were due to refusals by Swansea. But none of that would be in the accounts released here, they are always a year “out of date” essentially. We also are unlikely to have got the Downes fee up front, sales and purchases are usually amortised.

We made playoffs the year before which could be linked to broadcast revenue. Which is why when people say we “failed” in the playoffs, I always state that we did no such thing. Getting there sets you up going forward, it enabled us to get the likes of Piroe.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

£13m pre tax loss on 18:39 - Apr 28 with 2441 viewsSullutaCreturned

£13m pre tax loss on 17:47 - Apr 28 by Dr_Winston

These are the accounts to Jul 2022. The previous accounts would have been to Jul 2021, which included parachute payments.

Plenty of people make accusations of asset stripping. Plenty accuse them of lacking ambition by not spending millions in every window when it is patently obvious that the club can't afford it. Can you imagine the howls of outrage if they cut back even more as you seem to suggest they should?

I largely agree with you, Doc. Thing is though, if they'd taken the meausred gamble in Janyary we may beup in the top 6 now, crowds would have been higher and there'd have been ore tv money too.

It also has me questioning the opinion that we aren't ready for promotion as even if we came straight back down with the worst EPL record ever we would still have a ton of money to help us build again

I think it's a chance missed as the current situation clearly shows, just 3 more wins from that run of 3 in 21 and we'd need just ONE point to guarantee a play off place. 4 more wins and we'd be there already.
£13m pre tax loss on 18:43 - Apr 28 with 2432 viewsDr_Winston

£13m pre tax loss on 18:39 - Apr 28 by SullutaCreturned

I largely agree with you, Doc. Thing is though, if they'd taken the meausred gamble in Janyary we may beup in the top 6 now, crowds would have been higher and there'd have been ore tv money too.

It also has me questioning the opinion that we aren't ready for promotion as even if we came straight back down with the worst EPL record ever we would still have a ton of money to help us build again

I think it's a chance missed as the current situation clearly shows, just 3 more wins from that run of 3 in 21 and we'd need just ONE point to guarantee a play off place. 4 more wins and we'd be there already.

Giving Russy a couple of million to spend in January the way he was running things would have been a waste, not a gamble. Finding it hard to understand how anyone can look at the results he's now capable of achieving and come to the conclusion that it was the squad that was the problem.

£13m pre tax loss on 18:48 - Apr 28 with 2404 viewsDr_Parnassus

£13m pre tax loss on 18:39 - Apr 28 by SullutaCreturned

No chance we would be playing the way we are if he had got his own way in January. He’s been made to look for solutions through circumstance and it is that which has made him realise his old methods were not going to work.

The acid test on whether he has turned over a fresh leaf will be in the targets he asks for in the summer. If it’s a load of defenders and central players then I fear he bas learned nothing. However if he’s actively looking to solve our width issue with doubled up width and not just right backs and left backs then we may be onto a winner.

I would happily bet that had we got Grant and a couple of others that he wanted, we would be in the mix with the likes of Huddersfield now. Complaining about dominating but not winning, not realising why. This has always been my frustration with him, the reasons have been obvious and the data has shown it clearly.

This is now clearly being taken on board.

Login to get fewer ads

£13m pre tax loss on 19:10 - Apr 28 with 2360 viewsSullutaCreturned

£13m pre tax loss on 18:43 - Apr 28 by Dr_Winston

Giving Russy a couple of million to spend in January the way he was running things would have been a waste, not a gamble. Finding it hard to understand how anyone can look at the results he's now capable of achieving and come to the conclusion that it was the squad that was the problem.

it's difficult because I am also a critic but if we'd had 2-3 players in the right positions thn who knows? I haven't said the squad was the problem apart from maybe strength in depth. We had the quality in our best eleven, I truly believe that.

Truthfully, we will never know either way.
£13m pre tax loss on 19:18 - Apr 28 with 2344 viewsReslovenSwan1

Downes went to West Ham on 7 July 2022 so hopefully the numbers do not include all of West Ham Cheques. It may cover the Connor Roberts / Jamal Lowe sales which were at the lower end. £4-5m.

I have always had the impression that the club works at a monthly deficit of £1m so needs to sell a £12m worth of players each season. Rodon at the end of the Cooper first year.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 19:22]

Wise sage since Toshack era

£13m pre tax loss on 19:27 - Apr 28 with 2318 viewsjasper_T

£13m pre tax loss on 17:31 - Apr 28 by Whiterockin

I always think the annual accounts not accurate if they don't show how much we still owe for players and how much other clubs owe us. An example would be the transfer of Downes in that account, is it only the money we have received with the rest coming in the next financial year or beyond. Or is it all in there.

Values for debtors and creditors always appear on the accounts, yes. Just have to wait until they're up on Companies House.

£26m wages more than I expected in the post-Ayew era, but the January additions were very costly. Need to get that under tighter control if we're ever to get past the point of needing massive cash injections every year or to constantly sell players for big fees (£10m every other year doesn't cover it).
£13m pre tax loss on 19:32 - Apr 28 with 2267 viewsDr_Parnassus

£13m pre tax loss on 19:27 - Apr 28 by jasper_T

Values for debtors and creditors always appear on the accounts, yes. Just have to wait until they're up on Companies House.

£26m wages more than I expected in the post-Ayew era, but the January additions were very costly. Need to get that under tighter control if we're ever to get past the point of needing massive cash injections every year or to constantly sell players for big fees (£10m every other year doesn't cover it).

I’ve always said the wage budgets some spout on here are wildly inaccurate.

This “bottom third budget” stuff is nothing more than a throwaway excuse guess that’s turned into fact.

We have a VERY competitive budget to be promoted. Even now.

£13m pre tax loss on 19:33 - Apr 28 with 2285 viewsKeithHaynes

£13m pre tax loss on 19:27 - Apr 28 by jasper_T

Clearly that frightened the club as they’ve reduced their overall playing staff bill to a speculated figure of just under 13m this season.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

£13m pre tax loss on 19:49 - Apr 28 with 2238 viewsBadlands

Read the report

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

£13m pre tax loss on 19:51 - Apr 28 with 2235 viewsBadlands

£13m pre tax loss on 18:43 - Apr 28 by Dr_Winston

Any other conclusion would bizarre.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

£13m pre tax loss on 20:38 - Apr 28 with 2125 viewsmajorraglan

£13m pre tax loss on 19:18 - Apr 28 by ReslovenSwan1

Downes went to West Ham on 7 July 2022 so hopefully the numbers do not include all of West Ham Cheques. It may cover the Connor Roberts / Jamal Lowe sales which were at the lower end. £4-5m.

I have always had the impression that the club works at a monthly deficit of £1m so needs to sell a £12m worth of players each season. Rodon at the end of the Cooper first year.
[Post edited 28 Apr 2023 19:22]

I’d imagine the Downes transfer will be paid in instalments, that’s usually what happens, however a lot of clubs cash in future transfer fees at a discount to get the money upfront. The only way to check that is by looking at Companies House for charges etc.
£13m pre tax loss on 21:25 - Apr 28 with 2045 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

£13m pre tax loss on 17:47 - Apr 28 by Dr_Winston

Also the stadiums were closed for the majority of that year so no gate receipts etc. it probably explains the increase in broadcasting money as more games were shown on telly, more people using Ifollow etc.

Covid has completely skewed the figures.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

£13m pre tax loss on 10:23 - Apr 29 with 1828 viewsDr_Winston

£13m pre tax loss on 21:25 - Apr 28 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Also the stadiums were closed for the majority of that year so no gate receipts etc. it probably explains the increase in broadcasting money as more games were shown on telly, more people using Ifollow etc.

Covid has completely skewed the figures.

Definitely. £4m plus extras would have gone out on Ayew's contract too.

£13m pre tax loss on 11:04 - Apr 29 with 1786 viewsDr_Winston

£13m pre tax loss on 19:51 - Apr 28 by Badlands

Any other conclusion would bizarre.

Lot of people out there still won't hear a word against him. Lot of people out there still convinced that recent results are a natural outcome of the "process" rather than the abandonment of it.

£13m pre tax loss on 11:15 - Apr 29 with 1776 viewsKeithHaynes

£13m pre tax loss on 11:04 - Apr 29 by Dr_Winston

Lot of people out there still won't hear a word against him. Lot of people out there still convinced that recent results are a natural outcome of the "process" rather than the abandonment of it.

The casual observers view indeed.
As we all are.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024