Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride 09:29 - Jul 31 with 3017 viewsdna

Apologies for the length of the post, perhaps I'm old, but has PC gone mad???

A revamped version of Disneyland's famed Snow White ride is drawing backlash for portraying the 'true love's kiss' scene, which critics say undermines lessons about consent by portraying the Prince kissing Snow White while she is asleep.

'A kiss he gives to her without her consent, while she's asleep, which cannot possibly be true love if only one person knows it's happening,'

In the new movie, Rachel Zegler (a Latino 'actor') has been cast as Snow White
“People are making these jokes about ours being the PC Snow White, where it’s like, yeah, it is — because it needed that,” says Zegler

The Snow White remake won’t have its title character waiting around for a prince to come to save her. Zegler says that Snow White is “dreaming of becoming the leader she knows she can be, and the leader that her late father told her that she could be"

Photos from the Snow White set revealed that the seven characters accompanying Snow White weren’t all dwarfs. They were actors of different heights, races, and genders.

I give up!!
[Post edited 31 Jul 2023 10:24]
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 12:57 - Aug 1 with 678 viewsSullutaCreturned

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 10:50 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

As I said earlier, it's getting better all the time (thankfully) and that's in part to do with female role models.

That's all I've really been saying in this thread; real life examples raise aspirations.

The fact I've had push back speaks volumes.

Real life examples do raise aspirations but Snow White isn't reality.

If girls need role models they are better looking at the femaile politicians, I'll even include Michelle Mone in that. She got greedy but she did very well in business beforehand. Then look at the female sports stars.

The only thing holding women back these days is the old boys network and the ladies themselves a bit maybe?

Disney is meant to be kids entertainment, there's more uplift in Rosa Parks or Ellie Simmonds.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:09 - Aug 1 with 668 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 12:57 - Aug 1 by SullutaCreturned

Real life examples do raise aspirations but Snow White isn't reality.

If girls need role models they are better looking at the femaile politicians, I'll even include Michelle Mone in that. She got greedy but she did very well in business beforehand. Then look at the female sports stars.

The only thing holding women back these days is the old boys network and the ladies themselves a bit maybe?

Disney is meant to be kids entertainment, there's more uplift in Rosa Parks or Ellie Simmonds.

Should girls have role models in stories?
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:21 - Aug 1 with 654 viewscontroversial_jack

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 12:31 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

So you’ve no issue with the OP on Disney changes then?

Tidy. We’re on the same page.

I don't watch Disney films. I like equality of opportunity and meritocracy. I don't like social engineering or positive discrimination
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:33 - Aug 1 with 653 viewsSullutaCreturned

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:09 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

Should girls have role models in stories?

Should any of us take a character from a work of fiction and use them as a role model?

I'd say no, there are lots of real people we can use. You shouldn't aspire to be like the lead in a fairy tale, the outcome is fixed, the story not real and real life absolutely is not a fairy story.
These films can make you happy, that's their aim after all, However, there is a reason grown ups stop watching them unless it;s with their young kids.

For positive role models see Aung San Suu Kyi, Sylvia Plath, Michelle Obama or Maya Angelou. But not Snow White or Cinderella, not Mulan or Ariel.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:36 - Aug 1 with 653 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:21 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

I don't watch Disney films. I like equality of opportunity and meritocracy. I don't like social engineering or positive discrimination

Absolutely agree.

And to achieve that we have to make sure this everyone (and in this discussion, girls) are exposed to all options.

Look at UK women’s football. Before world war 2 it was massive with huge attendances. Then the FA banned it. Now the World Cup is live as I type on free or air TV. Any girl has the chance to look at Lucy Bronze or Sam Kerr and think ‘that could be me’.

Same in stories and films.

If we just let the market provide we’ll be left with Love Island, Instagram filters and The Only Way is Essex.

Fortunately we’re better than that and improving all the time.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:41 - Aug 1 with 652 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:33 - Aug 1 by SullutaCreturned

Should any of us take a character from a work of fiction and use them as a role model?

I'd say no, there are lots of real people we can use. You shouldn't aspire to be like the lead in a fairy tale, the outcome is fixed, the story not real and real life absolutely is not a fairy story.
These films can make you happy, that's their aim after all, However, there is a reason grown ups stop watching them unless it;s with their young kids.

For positive role models see Aung San Suu Kyi, Sylvia Plath, Michelle Obama or Maya Angelou. But not Snow White or Cinderella, not Mulan or Ariel.

It should be reflected in the stories they read and that’s my point. They should be exposed to all.

Would you be happy if a young female relative of yours could only watch films/read books with damsel in distress type characters?

In exactly the same way any library should have stories with disabled characters, all ethnicities etc.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:58 - Aug 1 with 645 viewsonehunglow

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:41 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

It should be reflected in the stories they read and that’s my point. They should be exposed to all.

Would you be happy if a young female relative of yours could only watch films/read books with damsel in distress type characters?

In exactly the same way any library should have stories with disabled characters, all ethnicities etc.

Yet, we still bring up children to belief that the family religious belief is the right one.
It the most damaging aspect of all.
You seem to make out previous generation were wrong ,as many now seem to do.
Kids knew the difference between real guns and toy guns too.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 14:19 - Aug 1 with 637 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:58 - Aug 1 by onehunglow

Yet, we still bring up children to belief that the family religious belief is the right one.
It the most damaging aspect of all.
You seem to make out previous generation were wrong ,as many now seem to do.
Kids knew the difference between real guns and toy guns too.

I don’t think we do bring children up in that way - we’re a secular society now.

No blame on previous generations at all, just saying the development of women’s rights and choices has been a good thing.
Login to get fewer ads

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:13 - Aug 1 with 620 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Strong female characters have always been a thing. When I was growing up it was Sarah Connor and Ripley from Alien kicking arse. They were good characters because they were well written had a good narrative, obstacles to overcome and genuine vulnerability. Even though they were ridiculously over the top they were still believable.

Now we have “strong women” like Rey in Star Wars who is just perfect at everything from the first minute, never loses, learns every force ability within seconds and just sails through her trilogy unchallenged before defeating the emperor easily.

It’s just bad writing.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:33 - Aug 1 with 610 viewsSullutaCreturned

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:41 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

Well yes, stories should represent everyone but even so fictional characters shouldn't be touted as a role model.

It's fiction because it's not real.

When kids are very young let them fantasize, tell them there's a Santa, a tooth fairy and Easter bunny but the day comes when they should know the truth.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:49 - Aug 1 with 604 viewscontroversial_jack

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 13:36 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

Absolutely agree.

And to achieve that we have to make sure this everyone (and in this discussion, girls) are exposed to all options.

Look at UK women’s football. Before world war 2 it was massive with huge attendances. Then the FA banned it. Now the World Cup is live as I type on free or air TV. Any girl has the chance to look at Lucy Bronze or Sam Kerr and think ‘that could be me’.

Same in stories and films.

If we just let the market provide we’ll be left with Love Island, Instagram filters and The Only Way is Essex.

Fortunately we’re better than that and improving all the time.

It's great to see women enjoying football, but if they were in competition with men, they would be absolutely battered every game. The point being, everyone can have equal opportunities, but equal outcomes are far for guaranteed
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:55 - Aug 1 with 602 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:33 - Aug 1 by SullutaCreturned

Well yes, stories should represent everyone but even so fictional characters shouldn't be touted as a role model.

It's fiction because it's not real.

When kids are very young let them fantasize, tell them there's a Santa, a tooth fairy and Easter bunny but the day comes when they should know the truth.

In that case why should stories reflect everyone?

I’d say because they should reflect everyday life and in turn what we an aspire to and achieve.

I’m really surprised that saying some Disney films having independent female role models is a good thing.

Perhaps we don’t have many posters with young female relatives 🤷🏻
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:59 - Aug 1 with 600 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:13 - Aug 1 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

Strong female characters have always been a thing. When I was growing up it was Sarah Connor and Ripley from Alien kicking arse. They were good characters because they were well written had a good narrative, obstacles to overcome and genuine vulnerability. Even though they were ridiculously over the top they were still believable.

Now we have “strong women” like Rey in Star Wars who is just perfect at everything from the first minute, never loses, learns every force ability within seconds and just sails through her trilogy unchallenged before defeating the emperor easily.

It’s just bad writing.

They weren’t a thing when Disney were making fairy stories for the first 60 odd years of their existence.

If you were a girl you could be a wicked stepmother, a wicked queen, a damsel in distress, a fairy godmother or an ugly sister.

If you were a boy you could be Prince Charming, the king who loves his children, a good hearted woodcutter or simply the hero.

Now there’s a choice. Girls can watch either or all. That’s a good thing.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 16:02 - Aug 1 with 598 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:49 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

It's great to see women enjoying football, but if they were in competition with men, they would be absolutely battered every game. The point being, everyone can have equal opportunities, but equal outcomes are far for guaranteed

But they didn’t have opportunities did they? Now they can the game is growing.

Same with film, art, literature and the media in general. If it’s seen it can be aspired to.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 16:23]
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 17:13 - Aug 1 with 585 viewsonehunglow

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:59 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

They weren’t a thing when Disney were making fairy stories for the first 60 odd years of their existence.

If you were a girl you could be a wicked stepmother, a wicked queen, a damsel in distress, a fairy godmother or an ugly sister.

If you were a boy you could be Prince Charming, the king who loves his children, a good hearted woodcutter or simply the hero.

Now there’s a choice. Girls can watch either or all. That’s a good thing.

Was at a festival weekend last Sunday in New Brighton.
The kids entertainer,Mr Tumble, started his show with
Hello boys and girls,which started me thinking in these days of gender reassignments and identification.
It seems we are giving problems to very young kids to deal with viewing the world through our eyes not theirs .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 17:15 - Aug 1 with 584 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 17:13 - Aug 1 by onehunglow

Was at a festival weekend last Sunday in New Brighton.
The kids entertainer,Mr Tumble, started his show with
Hello boys and girls,which started me thinking in these days of gender reassignments and identification.
It seems we are giving problems to very young kids to deal with viewing the world through our eyes not theirs .

Fair play, that’s nothing to do with my post or the OP.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 17:36 - Aug 1 with 577 viewsSullutaCreturned

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 15:55 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

In that case why should stories reflect everyone?

I’d say because they should reflect everyday life and in turn what we an aspire to and achieve.

I’m really surprised that saying some Disney films having independent female role models is a good thing.

Perhaps we don’t have many posters with young female relatives 🤷🏻

Well fairy tales reflect everyone, including fictional beings, trolls, ogres, centaurs and like those fictional beings the stories are fiction. They are meant to be enjoyed but not taken seriously.

Like I said, kids can enjoy being kids but one day reality must intrude and you don't want an 18 year old holding a fictional warrior princess up as her role model, do you?

Wouldn't you rather Curie, Barret-Browning or Ada Lovelace?
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 19:39 - Aug 1 with 559 viewscontroversial_jack

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 16:02 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

But they didn’t have opportunities did they? Now they can the game is growing.

Same with film, art, literature and the media in general. If it’s seen it can be aspired to.
[Post edited 1 Aug 2023 16:23]

Yes, and that’s great, but is it just a fad? Can it keep growing as a spectator sport when it’s clearly an inferior product compared to the mens game?
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 19:47 - Aug 1 with 556 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 17:36 - Aug 1 by SullutaCreturned

Well fairy tales reflect everyone, including fictional beings, trolls, ogres, centaurs and like those fictional beings the stories are fiction. They are meant to be enjoyed but not taken seriously.

Like I said, kids can enjoy being kids but one day reality must intrude and you don't want an 18 year old holding a fictional warrior princess up as her role model, do you?

Wouldn't you rather Curie, Barret-Browning or Ada Lovelace?

Hard to explain those to four year olds, though.

Again, I’m very surprised that such a vanilla position as stating some stories should have strong female leads in them should prove so controversial.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 19:49 - Aug 1 with 555 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 19:39 - Aug 1 by controversial_jack

Yes, and that’s great, but is it just a fad? Can it keep growing as a spectator sport when it’s clearly an inferior product compared to the mens game?

Hopefully along with all sport it’ll continue to grow. The drop out rate once girls hit early teens is still horrendous.

They’ll be left feeling inferior looking at unrealistic depictions of the female form on the internet and the rest of the media.

That’s where unhappiness lies, I’m afraid.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 20:34 - Aug 1 with 533 viewsSullutaCreturned

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 19:47 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

Hard to explain those to four year olds, though.

Again, I’m very surprised that such a vanilla position as stating some stories should have strong female leads in them should prove so controversial.

Can't we just let 4 year olds be 4 year olds though? It's not that I'm against having a good female lead Im just saying it's a fairytale, it's not real and kids kinda know that. They are smarter than we think.

Like I said, theres no need to re-write just make up a new chapter to reflect that in the original things were more like that but for newer generations thngs have changed.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 20:37 - Aug 1 with 530 viewsGwyn737

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 20:34 - Aug 1 by SullutaCreturned

Can't we just let 4 year olds be 4 year olds though? It's not that I'm against having a good female lead Im just saying it's a fairytale, it's not real and kids kinda know that. They are smarter than we think.

Like I said, theres no need to re-write just make up a new chapter to reflect that in the original things were more like that but for newer generations thngs have changed.

As long as there’s a variety Cat I’m happy.

Kids are smart but sadly they’re under attack from some very clever algorithms.

They need us fighting their corner or as I’ve said, Love Island will be the norm for them - the 2020s version of princesses.
Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 20:47 - Aug 1 with 526 viewsSullutaCreturned

Politically Correct Snow White Film Re-make/Theme Park Ride on 20:37 - Aug 1 by Gwyn737

As long as there’s a variety Cat I’m happy.

Kids are smart but sadly they’re under attack from some very clever algorithms.

They need us fighting their corner or as I’ve said, Love Island will be the norm for them - the 2020s version of princesses.

Agreed, we need t fight their corner.

I dont see a fairytale as having any great impact either way but what is going on with AI is a different thing.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024