Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
GCSE results. 10:35 - Aug 24 with 1983 viewsGwyn737

Well done to all those picking up results today.

There’s an argument to say they’ve been the most disrupted cohort, so they should be applauded for their efforts 👏
GCSE results. on 12:08 - Aug 24 with 1525 viewscontroversial_jack

You must be a teacher! Just a hunch!
GCSE results. on 12:57 - Aug 24 with 1499 viewsGwyn737

Yep!

It’s not just the covid time off for this lot but they’ve also had the grade boundary reset this year.

Though for some.
GCSE results. on 19:14 - Aug 24 with 1443 viewsKeithHaynes

GCSE results. on 12:57 - Aug 24 by Gwyn737

Yep!

It’s not just the covid time off for this lot but they’ve also had the grade boundary reset this year.

Though for some.

How do you rate the exams back in the late seventies to mid eighties to today on difficulty?

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

GCSE results. on 19:31 - Aug 24 with 1431 viewsFireboy2

You will all be glad to know my JB eldest passed all his exams

Hes off to college to do engineering 😁👍
GCSE results. on 19:45 - Aug 24 with 1422 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 19:14 - Aug 24 by KeithHaynes

How do you rate the exams back in the late seventies to mid eighties to today on difficulty?

It’s really difficult to compare.

Over the past 20 or so years it’s been at fairly consistent level. It’s a different picture comparing now to the 70s and 80’s but it’s not simple.

I’ll just take maths as an example.

If you just put one of maths paper side by side and compared the difficulty of questions, the 70’s paper would be more difficult than a recent one.

However, the breadth of knowledge needed now is far wider than it was then. So you’re comparing fewer concepts to a deeper level to a wider curriculum.

Also you have a the situation now that all but a tiny percentage will have been entered for GSCE maths. This was not the case in the 70’s.

You’ve also got (in England) changes to the grading that is now 9 - 1 instead of letters. That allows us to pick up real excellence. 7 is equivalent to an A, 8 an A* and 9 an A**

Hope that makes sense…
GCSE results. on 19:48 - Aug 24 with 1416 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 19:31 - Aug 24 by Fireboy2

You will all be glad to know my JB eldest passed all his exams

Hes off to college to do engineering 😁👍

Congrats to FB junior!

You must be rightly chuffed 👏
GCSE results. on 19:48 - Aug 24 with 1416 viewsFlashberryjack

GCSE results. on 12:57 - Aug 24 by Gwyn737

Yep!

Though for some.

Grandson got four A stars and Eight A's.

And before you ask, no!! he didn't get his brains from me.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

GCSE results. on 19:52 - Aug 24 with 1413 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 19:48 - Aug 24 by Flashberryjack

Outstanding achievement Flash!

I won’t mention the brains thing 🤣😉
Login to get fewer ads

GCSE results. on 19:56 - Aug 24 with 1412 viewsTogg

GCSE results. on 19:48 - Aug 24 by Flashberryjack

Wow!! Well played to that boy. Medical school next ?
GCSE results. on 20:02 - Aug 24 with 1411 viewsTogg

Well done to all the kids who passed their exams. Hard work always pays off. It's not an easy tratchectory now, especially with the price of housing etc. However for the non academic or those who might have been too lazy (that's me) there will be other opportunities to make a decent living. I followed my hobby and made a business out of it ...so never give up.
GCSE results. on 20:04 - Aug 24 with 1407 viewsonehunglow

GCSE results. on 20:02 - Aug 24 by Togg

Well done to all the kids who passed their exams. Hard work always pays off. It's not an easy tratchectory now, especially with the price of housing etc. However for the non academic or those who might have been too lazy (that's me) there will be other opportunities to make a decent living. I followed my hobby and made a business out of it ...so never give up.

and if the career you choose isn’t making you fulfilled or happy,leave and start another .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

GCSE results. on 20:15 - Aug 24 with 1401 viewsTogg

GCSE results. on 20:04 - Aug 24 by onehunglow

and if the career you choose isn’t making you fulfilled or happy,leave and start another .

Absolutemente. No matter how bright you are...it will sometimes come down to opportunities.
GCSE results. on 20:56 - Aug 24 with 1389 viewscontroversial_jack

For those who don't get put into the top streams and can only attain the lower grade, it's pretty grim and divisive, similar to grammar and secondary moderns
GCSE results. on 21:20 - Aug 24 with 1362 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 20:56 - Aug 24 by controversial_jack

For those who don't get put into the top streams and can only attain the lower grade, it's pretty grim and divisive, similar to grammar and secondary moderns

All children have the opportunity to achieve a ‘strong’ pass I.e. grade 5 so it’s not pass or fail like the 11 plus.

The 11 plus makes a selection at aged 11 and that’s it. The choice between foundation and higher tier maths can go right up to the exam period so the opportunity is there (over time) for any child to improve and take the higher paper.

One of the many accountability measures for schools are average scores. It’s does not benefit the school to suppress entries.
GCSE results. on 21:25 - Aug 24 with 1349 viewsFlashberryjack

GCSE results. on 19:56 - Aug 24 by Togg

Wow!! Well played to that boy. Medical school next ?

Unfortunately, no medical school for him, he's a bit like Doc Martin, feels faint at the sight of blood.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

GCSE results. on 22:07 - Aug 24 with 1326 viewscontroversial_jack

GCSE results. on 21:20 - Aug 24 by Gwyn737

All children have the opportunity to achieve a ‘strong’ pass I.e. grade 5 so it’s not pass or fail like the 11 plus.

The 11 plus makes a selection at aged 11 and that’s it. The choice between foundation and higher tier maths can go right up to the exam period so the opportunity is there (over time) for any child to improve and take the higher paper.

One of the many accountability measures for schools are average scores. It’s does not benefit the school to suppress entries.

That certainly wasn’t the case with one of my kids.
GCSE results. on 22:17 - Aug 24 with 1310 viewsmajorraglan

There’s a lot of pressure on kids these days, but it’s important to keep in perspective that all is not lost if a kid doesn’t excel in school and go off to be a doctor etc. More emphasis needs to be put on vocational training, accessing apprenticeships etc so we can upskill people. Some people are late bloomers and only go into to further education years after leaving school - we need to ensure life long learning and opportunities are available for all.
GCSE results. on 22:39 - Aug 24 with 1304 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 22:07 - Aug 24 by controversial_jack

That certainly wasn’t the case with one of my kids.

I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule.

M just pointing out the factual elements.
GCSE results. on 22:43 - Aug 24 with 1303 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 22:17 - Aug 24 by majorraglan

There’s a lot of pressure on kids these days, but it’s important to keep in perspective that all is not lost if a kid doesn’t excel in school and go off to be a doctor etc. More emphasis needs to be put on vocational training, accessing apprenticeships etc so we can upskill people. Some people are late bloomers and only go into to further education years after leaving school - we need to ensure life long learning and opportunities are available for all.

The pressure is huge and comes from a number of sources.

Realistically the qualifications you actually need are those required for whatever you want to do next.

I had a good chat the other night with a mate of mine who has a child the same age as mine with GCSEs comping up in a couple of years.

The question was, do you give up everything in years 10 and 11, devote everything to the work and strive for the top grades, or do you do what is necessary for the next stage and enjoy yourself, see your mates, play sport and whatever?

I know it’s not that binary in the real word but it is an interesting question.
GCSE results. on 08:57 - Aug 25 with 1252 viewscontroversial_jack

GCSE results. on 22:39 - Aug 24 by Gwyn737

I’m sure there are exceptions to the rule.

M just pointing out the factual elements.

Once kids are in that lower banding it's all over for them
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 14:35]
(No subject) (n/t) on 13:30 - Aug 25 with 1222 viewsGwyn737

GCSE results. on 08:57 - Aug 25 by controversial_jack

Once kids are in that lower banding it's all over for them
[Post edited 25 Aug 2023 14:35]

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:39 - Aug 25 with 1189 viewsGwyn737

(No subject) (n/t) on 13:30 - Aug 25 by Gwyn737

No it’s not.

Either that’s the right place for them to get the best chance of securing a strong pass grade keeping next stage doors open, or they’ve got 18 months or so to prove they can manage the higher paper.

They can also do the higher paper at a later date.

Once you miss the 11+ that’s it.
(No subject) (n/t) on 15:03 - Aug 25 with 1182 viewscontroversial_jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:39 - Aug 25 by Gwyn737

No it’s not.

Either that’s the right place for them to get the best chance of securing a strong pass grade keeping next stage doors open, or they’ve got 18 months or so to prove they can manage the higher paper.

They can also do the higher paper at a later date.

Once you miss the 11+ that’s it.

i'm not saying the 11 plus was a good idea, i'm not making comparisons, just that both systems are divisive
GCSE results. on 15:21 - Aug 25 with 1180 viewsWhiterockin

To all those who didn't get the grades they or more importantly their parents wanted, it's not the end of the world. It's time to think and evaluate. If it was because of lack of hard work fine, reset and go again if you are prepared to work harder. If you gave everything and didn't get the the results you hoped then possibly a change of approach is required. There are plenty of opportunities in vocational studies. You 100% are not a failure use this slight setback to drive you on to be the best you possibly can.
(No subject) (n/t) on 08:11 - Aug 26 with 1104 viewsfelixstowe_jack

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:03 - Aug 25 by controversial_jack

i'm not saying the 11 plus was a good idea, i'm not making comparisons, just that both systems are divisive

Guess you consider all exams are divisive. Why not just say everyone has passed and are all equal.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024