Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England 21:40 - Mar 26 with 3102 viewsdigswellhoop

match thoughts please
England on 11:19 - Mar 27 with 882 viewsdaveB

England on 10:23 - Mar 27 by ParkRoyalR

The Maguire conundrum is a simple fix for me,

When I played football vast majority of players seem to be Right-Footed, so when you had two Right-Footed Centre Halves in your team you played the more athletic and the better of the two on his weaker side as he had the balance, ball skills and footballing ability to compensate for not playing on his preferred side, maybe similar reason Dunne was played on the left of the two for us as is a better footballer than given credit for by many of our fans,

Playing Maguire on his left for United against top class players is an act of cruelty to him and for England is an act of national self-harm as you just know come key moments against top-level players when pressured on the ball, he will make those key mistakes we've seen so often at club level. If you want to play him he has to be on his more comfortable side as when pressured can just play long down his preferred side.

He's played that left side for England the last 6 years and not really been a problem for him, does make mistakes but usually pretty reliable for England
England on 11:33 - Mar 27 with 837 viewsParkRoyalR

England on 11:19 - Mar 27 by daveB

He's played that left side for England the last 6 years and not really been a problem for him, does make mistakes but usually pretty reliable for England

Against weaker international nations he gets away with it,

Going into the latter stages of tournaments is like the latter stages of the big European competitions, he comes up woefully short,

Think this is where Southgate goes wrong in his thinking, he needs to be planning his team to beat France so he can win tournaments, the likes of Maguire (and Henderson) are liabilities at the highest level.
England on 11:38 - Mar 27 with 829 viewsDavieQPR

England on 11:33 - Mar 27 by ParkRoyalR

Going into the latter stages of tournaments is like the latter stages of the big European competitions, he comes up woefully short,

Think this is where Southgate goes wrong in his thinking, he needs to be planning his team to beat France so he can win tournaments, the likes of Maguire (and Henderson) are liabilities at the highest level.

Southgate never plans to beat teams, he plans to not lose to teams.
England on 11:38 - Mar 27 with 826 viewsTheChef

Southgate's biggest issue is his in-game management especially against the stronger teams. In this respect he doesn't seem to have learnt, I suppose we'll see this summer if he can adapt any better.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

England on 11:56 - Mar 27 with 777 viewsdaveB

who has he come up short against? I can't think of many times. Could have done better with marking for 2nd France goal in last world cup, other than that was very good in last Euros and 2018 world cup. Makes loads of mistakes for Man Utd but not usually for England

Henderson may be past his best now but again never a liability, was superb for Liverpool in the Champions league and very good at the last world cup
England on 12:09 - Mar 27 with 739 viewskensalriser

England on 22:42 - Mar 26 by Toast_R

Think Southgate has probably learnt quite a lot from the last two matches. Dunk and Chillwell not good enough and Foden still unconvincing. Toney looks far more a threat than the lightweight Watkins but neither on Kane's level.

Needs to get Rice further forward somehow.
Can England get Trent Alexander-Arnold in the team?
I think we need to play the Brazil 82 philosophy, attack with all the flair available and sod the defence because we're scare the opponents to death. Who knows?
Probably go out on penalties.

Watkins lightweight? 16 goals and the highest number of assists in the PL this season, let’s be serious.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

England on 12:14 - Mar 27 with 720 viewsParkRoyalR

England on 11:56 - Mar 27 by daveB

who has he come up short against? I can't think of many times. Could have done better with marking for 2nd France goal in last world cup, other than that was very good in last Euros and 2018 world cup. Makes loads of mistakes for Man Utd but not usually for England

Henderson may be past his best now but again never a liability, was superb for Liverpool in the Champions league and very good at the last world cup

Maguire comes up short against top level players, the one's he tends to come up against in top 6 premier league games, latter stages of competition for club and country, reason why Ten Haag opted to start Luke Shaw as Left Sided CB ahead of him,

Southgate may be loyal to a fault or lack the vision to change this, but Maguire as a left sided CB is a weak point in that team that top teams will target and exploit; how many times have we seen teams press him in possession, he turns back on his favoured right foot facing his own goal and lose possession; this will repeatedly happen while he plays on weaker side.

Sorry got my Jordan's mixed up, meant Pickford, agree on Henderson, superb player at his best.
England on 12:31 - Mar 27 with 665 viewsdaveB

England on 12:14 - Mar 27 by ParkRoyalR

Maguire comes up short against top level players, the one's he tends to come up against in top 6 premier league games, latter stages of competition for club and country, reason why Ten Haag opted to start Luke Shaw as Left Sided CB ahead of him,

Southgate may be loyal to a fault or lack the vision to change this, but Maguire as a left sided CB is a weak point in that team that top teams will target and exploit; how many times have we seen teams press him in possession, he turns back on his favoured right foot facing his own goal and lose possession; this will repeatedly happen while he plays on weaker side.

Sorry got my Jordan's mixed up, meant Pickford, agree on Henderson, superb player at his best.

I'd agree in the Premier League but for England that's not normally the case, hopefully that continues

Ideally he'd have been replaced by now but Colwill not had a great season at Chelsea who I thought would come in for the Euros, Dunk another not having a good season whilst most of the others are right sided. I agree he's a weak point of the team but do think he's still the best we have
Login to get fewer ads

England on 12:37 - Mar 27 with 642 viewsParkRoyalR

England on 12:31 - Mar 27 by daveB

I'd agree in the Premier League but for England that's not normally the case, hopefully that continues

Ideally he'd have been replaced by now but Colwill not had a great season at Chelsea who I thought would come in for the Euros, Dunk another not having a good season whilst most of the others are right sided. I agree he's a weak point of the team but do think he's still the best we have

Agree, just think Southgate is hoping the same, and he needs more than hope; maybe needed to be more like Arteta and take a risk earlier as its too late now to bring someone else in,

Without going to a 3 and if he wants to start Maguire, I'd switch definitely him and Stones as think Stones is a good enough footballer to play on his weaker side and seems to have ironed those previously frequent errors in possession out of his game in last few seasons,
England on 13:00 - Mar 27 with 600 viewstraininvain

England on 10:23 - Mar 27 by ParkRoyalR

The Maguire conundrum is a simple fix for me,

When I played football vast majority of players seem to be Right-Footed, so when you had two Right-Footed Centre Halves in your team you played the more athletic and the better of the two on his weaker side as he had the balance, ball skills and footballing ability to compensate for not playing on his preferred side, maybe similar reason Dunne was played on the left of the two for us as is a better footballer than given credit for by many of our fans,

Playing Maguire on his left for United against top class players is an act of cruelty to him and for England is an act of national self-harm as you just know come key moments against top-level players when pressured on the ball, he will make those key mistakes we've seen so often at club level. If you want to play him he has to be on his more comfortable side as when pressured can just play long down his preferred side.

It’s a possible solution but if it was that simple surely it would’ve been identified a long time ago by one of Southgate or Ten Haag and all of the multi million pound coaches employed by England and Man Utd. Perhaps Maguire feels more comfortable on the left hand side but who knows.

The wider point is that Maguire wouldn’t be getting anywhere near the France squad (or other top nations) let alone in the starting 11. And that’s a reflection of our options in defence which aren’t great when you compare with countries like France where top centre backs like Saliba can’t get in the starting 11.
England on 13:16 - Mar 27 with 567 viewsParkRoyalR

England on 13:00 - Mar 27 by traininvain

It’s a possible solution but if it was that simple surely it would’ve been identified a long time ago by one of Southgate or Ten Haag and all of the multi million pound coaches employed by England and Man Utd. Perhaps Maguire feels more comfortable on the left hand side but who knows.

The wider point is that Maguire wouldn’t be getting anywhere near the France squad (or other top nations) let alone in the starting 11. And that’s a reflection of our options in defence which aren’t great when you compare with countries like France where top centre backs like Saliba can’t get in the starting 11.

Agree, you'd have thought top coaches would only need to see Maguire mayday and turn back towards his goal and into trouble once and realise he's not comfortable on his left-side, Ten Haag opted for Shaw and maybe through injury was forced to change tact; also why I think there are so genuinely few elite level coaches and not sure Ten Haag or Southgate are top level.

And yes agree Maguire gets nowhere near any other top level nations squads which is why I think England with a favourable draw will maybe get to the Semi's and meet a team like France and ultimately fall short again with Maguire & Pickford being their undoing.
England on 13:44 - Mar 27 with 501 viewsrbee

I hope Bowen makes the squad, scores goals and brings something different to the team.

I hope we don't have any problems with Bellingham during the tournament, sent off for Real Madrid for dissent and last night he was continually arguing with the officials. Somebody needs to have a word.
England on 14:01 - Mar 27 with 465 viewsStanisgod

England on 22:58 - Mar 26 by connell10

I don't watch prem football so I don't know if Foden plays well for his club but I think he is really overrated as a England player. The commentators are always blowing smoke up his arse and I'm sitting there waiting for him to do something, which he never does. Not quite as bad as the milky bar kid Grealish who just seems to fall over every time I see him play for England. They must both rip it up for their clubs.

Foden ,4 goals in THIRTY THREE games for England .

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

England on 16:23 - Mar 27 with 352 viewsderbyhoop

Mainoo was the big plus from last night. Bowen, for his workrate or Toney, for physicality did OK. Are they ahead of Watkins as backup to Kane, who is an automatic choice.
However well Maguire has played for England, he's the weak link in an unconvincing first choice defence. Defensively we may scrape by but the backups are nowhere near good enough.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024