Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... 11:42 - Apr 4 with 1785 viewstheloneranger

"Just over a decade ago, autism and ADHD were thought to be mutually exclusive. But in recent years, all that has changed."

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/04/audhd-what-is-behind-rocket

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 13:20 - Apr 4 with 1219 viewsFlashberryjack

Probably because people and doctors are more aware of the condition these days, instead of just dismissing them as just naughty children and not realising that they were suffering from a medical condition.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 13:22 - Apr 4 with 1217 viewsWingstandwood

787% rise between 1998 and 2018!

That is some rise? What is behind it? For a rise like that there has to be some reason?

Argus!

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 16:21 - Apr 4 with 1148 viewsSullutaCreturned

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 13:20 - Apr 4 by Flashberryjack

Probably because people and doctors are more aware of the condition these days, instead of just dismissing them as just naughty children and not realising that they were suffering from a medical condition.

I agree with that but I also have to ask, what is causing it?

For ages I have thought that the rise in some conditins has been fuelled by all the chemicals they chuck in our foods. We didn't have all ths chemical nonsense when I was a kid and I hardly know anybody my age who is Autisitic or who has ADHD but in my sons schools there are a lot, he knows several who are diagnosed.

Something must be causing it.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:18 - Apr 4 with 1121 viewscontroversial_jack

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 16:21 - Apr 4 by SullutaCreturned

For ages I have thought that the rise in some conditins has been fuelled by all the chemicals they chuck in our foods. We didn't have all ths chemical nonsense when I was a kid and I hardly know anybody my age who is Autisitic or who has ADHD but in my sons schools there are a lot, he knows several who are diagnosed.

Not to mention the stuff they put in kids veins.. MMR jab maybe?
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:21 - Apr 4 with 1116 viewsGwyn737

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:18 - Apr 4 by controversial_jack

Not to mention the stuff they put in kids veins.. MMR jab maybe?

That comment is stupid and dangerous. Stop it.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:31 - Apr 4 with 1108 viewsWingstandwood

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 16:21 - Apr 4 by SullutaCreturned

I have thought about chemicals in food, it's crazy to think that what my generation eat as kids tended to be more a case of being bought fresh and into the oven, saucepan and frying pan it all went.

The older generation tended to make and bake vastly more, with stuff being made on the kitchen table for home cooking as opposed to coming out of sealed plastic containers and wrapping.It's vastly more "ready meal" nowadays.

Argus!

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:35 - Apr 4 with 1102 viewsonehunglow

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:21 - Apr 4 by Gwyn737

That comment is stupid and dangerous. Stop it.

Makes you wonder why we bothered with small pox jabs in 1962.
Better to let us die then
Cretinous crap from a sick and troubled mess of a man

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:49 - Apr 4 with 1096 viewsDr_Winston

Personally I have no doubt whatsoever about autism being a serious disorder, but I am less convinced about ADHD.

The cynical part of me thinks that it's awfully convenient for child psychologists to keep finding new conditions that ensure a ready supply of employment for child psychologists.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:08 - Apr 4 with 1083 viewsSullutaCreturned

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:49 - Apr 4 by Dr_Winston

Personally I have no doubt whatsoever about autism being a serious disorder, but I am less convinced about ADHD.

The cynical part of me thinks that it's awfully convenient for child psychologists to keep finding new conditions that ensure a ready supply of employment for child psychologists.

Well I don't doubt that ADHD is a real thing but I also do believe that kids are being badly diagnosed.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:14 - Apr 4 with 1079 viewsDr_Winston

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:08 - Apr 4 by SullutaCreturned

Well I don't doubt that ADHD is a real thing but I also do believe that kids are being badly diagnosed.

Misdiagnosis is a possibility.

I was diagnosed as hyperactive as a child. No doubt these days I would have been classed as ADHD and put on all sorts of medications. In truth I was just a busy kid who got bored easily. Still do.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:20 - Apr 4 with 1073 viewsGwyn737

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:08 - Apr 4 by SullutaCreturned

There is definitely bad diagnosis going on.

Waiting times for assessment are massive and this has seen a rise of the private sector in the industry.

It has become a very easy way for parents who can afford it to buy a diagnosis.

This is in no way taking away from genuine cases. This is an area I’ve a lot of experience of and passion for, but we still know relatively little.

Some above have suggested the increase in ultra processed food. We don’t know yet but I wouldn’t be surprised. I’d add in excessive screen time too.
[Post edited 4 Apr 18:22]
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:23 - Apr 4 with 1062 viewsSullutaCreturned

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:20 - Apr 4 by Gwyn737

Waiting times for assessment are massive and this has seen a rise of the private sector in the industry.

This is in no way taking away from genuine cases. This is an area I’ve a lot of experience of and passion for, but we still know relatively little.

Some above have suggested the increase in ultra processed food. We don’t know yet but I wouldn’t be surprised. I’d add in excessive screen time too.

Where we used to lve a neighbour pushed hard for her kid to be diagnosed with ADHD. We found out from a family member it was because there was an asociated amount of welfare to be claimed, allegedly.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:27 - Apr 4 with 1050 viewsGwyn737

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:23 - Apr 4 by SullutaCreturned

Where we used to lve a neighbour pushed hard for her kid to be diagnosed with ADHD. We found out from a family member it was because there was an asociated amount of welfare to be claimed, allegedly.

You have to be an incredibly severe case to get disability living allowance.

Pretty unlikely if the child attends a mainstream school.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 20:23 - Apr 4 with 1008 viewsDr_Winston

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:27 - Apr 4 by Gwyn737

Not necessarily.

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 20:35 - Apr 4 with 1001 viewsGwyn737

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 20:23 - Apr 4 by Dr_Winston

Not necessarily.

I can only speak to my experience.

I’ve only ever known one child with an ASD diagnosis in approaching 25 years working with kids.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 20:50 - Apr 4 with 989 viewsDr_Winston

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 20:35 - Apr 4 by Gwyn737

I can only speak to my experience.

I’ve only ever known one child with an ASD diagnosis in approaching 25 years working with kids.

And that's fair.

All I can say based on 25 years working in the welfare system that I wouldn't necessarily agree with the idea that claiming DLA for a child with ADHD is that difficult.

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 07:10 - Apr 5 with 922 viewsDr_Winston

Just saw your line about screen time in this and that I absolutely 100% agree with. Social media, Youtube, TikTok and the like are doing a hell of a lot of damage to young brains. Mrs. Winston's kids used to find it hard to sit down and concentrate on any long form task, so used were they to getting their information in quick, 2-3 minute bites. It's not a medical condition. They've just never had to learn to concentrate. I'd probably have been the same at their age.

There is a strong argument to be had for banning unsupervised access to the internet (also banning smartphones) for those of a certain age group. The difficulty there however would be enforcing it.

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 07:51 - Apr 5 with 900 viewsjackrmee

The waiting times are scandalous.
Parents don’t “buy” a diagnosis, because they want their child to have a condition. They are forced to pay for an assessment, as they are probably worried sick about what’s wrong with their child.
There are charities that you can contact, who will help with assessment costs, if you have a child showing signs of ASD.

The delay in diagnosing through the NHS, is probably just a way for the government to not pay support for these kids, until years have gone by, just to save money. Many of those kids are lost. Without the early intervention therapies available to help these people, and which usually are not affective years down the line, many autistic kids are doomed.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 08:10 - Apr 5 with 886 viewsGwyn737

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 07:51 - Apr 5 by jackrmee

The waiting times are scandalous.
Parents don’t “buy” a diagnosis, because they want their child to have a condition. They are forced to pay for an assessment, as they are probably worried sick about what’s wrong with their child.
There are charities that you can contact, who will help with assessment costs, if you have a child showing signs of ASD.

The delay in diagnosing through the NHS, is probably just a way for the government to not pay support for these kids, until years have gone by, just to save money. Many of those kids are lost. Without the early intervention therapies available to help these people, and which usually are not affective years down the line, many autistic kids are doomed.

Again, I’m not talking away from genuine cases of which there are many and increasing numbers.

But… I do have a genuine worry of the developing culture where instead of parenting their children, some parents will get a private diagnosis that they then use to excuse their child’s behaviour.

This also has a massive impact down the line.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:18 - Apr 5 with 808 viewsSullutaCreturned

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 18:27 - Apr 4 by Gwyn737

Well the boy that I am talking about was in my sons primary school and his mother claimed for DLA back then. I hnestly don't know if she got it but she didn't have a job.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 22:58 - Apr 5 with 766 viewsjackrmee

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 08:10 - Apr 5 by Gwyn737

Again, I’m not talking away from genuine cases of which there are many and increasing numbers.

But… I do have a genuine worry of the developing culture where instead of parenting their children, some parents will get a private diagnosis that they then use to excuse their child’s behaviour.

This also has a massive impact down the line.

But private assessors are not scam artists. They are fully trained professionals. Same as private doctors and psychiatrists etc

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 23:00 - Apr 5 with 766 viewsjackrmee

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 17:18 - Apr 5 by SullutaCreturned

Well the boy that I am talking about was in my sons primary school and his mother claimed for DLA back then. I hnestly don't know if she got it but she didn't have a job.

A child with adhd may, and probably should get Personal Independence Payment, depending on his symptoms.

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 23:24 - Apr 5 with 760 viewstheloneranger

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 23:00 - Apr 5 by jackrmee

A child with adhd may, and probably should get Personal Independence Payment, depending on his symptoms.

Children under 16 can apply for DLA - over 16 PIP.

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 09:03 - Apr 6 with 715 viewsGwyn737

The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 22:58 - Apr 5 by jackrmee

But private assessors are not scam artists. They are fully trained professionals. Same as private doctors and psychiatrists etc

Unfortunately it doe appear to be an exact science.

I’m aware or some professionals who a known to be a safer bet when it comes to diagnosis.

It’s anecdotal, but for some time I’ve seen a marked difference in level of diagnosis between NHS and private.

This may reflect on NHS provision but that wouldn’t square up with the behaviour I see from the children day to day.
The sudden rise of AuDHD ... on 23:38 - Apr 6 with 659 viewsPlankton

Years ago, they would never have gotten away with it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024