Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Funny old game 14:07 - May 6 with 1786 viewsizzitme

Hill condemned us to relegation by leaving and would have taken Barnsley down if Portsmouth had not had points deducted!!
No more 7 year plans eh.
Funny old game on 14:11 - May 6 with 1766 views442Dale

Impossible to say that. Barnsley might have done better (or worse) if the threat of relegation had been greater.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Funny old game on 14:36 - May 6 with 1702 viewsSaxonDale

Portsmouth had points deducted because they went into administration. Barnsley sold Vaz Te (By far there best player) to help pay off club debts and so that they didn't have the potential threat of administration. Had they not sold Vaz Te (Or got injuries/loan departures to key players) then I'm sure Barnsley would've finished in a more healthy position. Also can I just remind all the fans who still go on about the 7 year plan that in an interview on DalePlayer last February Flitcroft stated that the plan was shelved soon after the loss of Murray.
Funny old game on 15:39 - May 6 with 1619 viewsD_Alien

Funny old game on 14:36 - May 6 by SaxonDale

Portsmouth had points deducted because they went into administration. Barnsley sold Vaz Te (By far there best player) to help pay off club debts and so that they didn't have the potential threat of administration. Had they not sold Vaz Te (Or got injuries/loan departures to key players) then I'm sure Barnsley would've finished in a more healthy position. Also can I just remind all the fans who still go on about the 7 year plan that in an interview on DalePlayer last February Flitcroft stated that the plan was shelved soon after the loss of Murray.

Just on that last point - it was part of the plan that the club would progress through gradual improvements which included the selling of assets. I was there when it was launched with Flicker's powerpoint presentation. For Hillcroft to "shelve" their plan at such an early stage, and with no deviation from it by the board, speaks more about their attitude than anything else.

Murray was sold, we ended up with COG, promotion and our highest ever finish in the football league.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Funny old game on 17:10 - May 6 with 1519 viewspioneer

If Barnsley survived because of astute sales of star players then it was the board that saved them not the football manager. Achieved in the board room, not on the field.

And please no more of this highest ever position nonsense.

Runners up in Div 3N > 9th in League 1

We seem to want to embellish hillcrofts CV in the same way that Eyre-head's was embellished.

Our latest achievment is tying Chesterfield for finishing bottom of the third tier most times - three times (given we have only played in it for 8 season we probably deserve the 'title' on countback!)

Funny old game on 17:38 - May 6 with 1489 viewssluggy

Wow, runners up in the 3rd division north, you should put a star above your club crest for that one...

Looking forward to the day Vinnie dies...

Funny old game on 18:18 - May 6 with 1414 viewsmightydale

Funny old game on 17:38 - May 6 by sluggy

Wow, runners up in the 3rd division north, you should put a star above your club crest for that one...

what like you did cause you won the fa cup before my great gran was born

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Funny old game on 05:03 - May 7 with 1267 viewsD_Alien

Funny old game on 17:10 - May 6 by pioneer

If Barnsley survived because of astute sales of star players then it was the board that saved them not the football manager. Achieved in the board room, not on the field.

And please no more of this highest ever position nonsense.

Runners up in Div 3N > 9th in League 1

We seem to want to embellish hillcrofts CV in the same way that Eyre-head's was embellished.

Our latest achievment is tying Chesterfield for finishing bottom of the third tier most times - three times (given we have only played in it for 8 season we probably deserve the 'title' on countback!)

You misunderstand, pioneer.

If you read my post without your blinkers on, I'm making the point that the promotion and 9th placed finish occurred despite Hillcroft abandoning the seven year plan - in other words, they were wrong to do so simply because the Dale board had sanctioned the sale of Murray, when it was an agreed part of the plan that saleable assets should be realised. It could be argued that the sale occurred at the wrong time, but your reply suggests I'm eulogising Hillcroft; far from it!

Also, the old Div 3 North finish was actually quite inglorious. According to my old man (an avid Dale fan back in the day), the Dale "threw" the chance of auto-promotion because the board realised that playing in the old Div 2 would have bankrupted them.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Funny old game on 09:04 - May 7 with 1200 viewsColDale

Funny old game on 05:03 - May 7 by D_Alien

You misunderstand, pioneer.

If you read my post without your blinkers on, I'm making the point that the promotion and 9th placed finish occurred despite Hillcroft abandoning the seven year plan - in other words, they were wrong to do so simply because the Dale board had sanctioned the sale of Murray, when it was an agreed part of the plan that saleable assets should be realised. It could be argued that the sale occurred at the wrong time, but your reply suggests I'm eulogising Hillcroft; far from it!

Also, the old Div 3 North finish was actually quite inglorious. According to my old man (an avid Dale fan back in the day), the Dale "threw" the chance of auto-promotion because the board realised that playing in the old Div 2 would have bankrupted them.

Surely if that plan was abandoned, they would have replaced it with another. Let's face it, we know they left nothing to chance, so I doubt they worked hard to create a plan, then ditched it once Murray went and decided just to try and take game at a time. The sale of Murray probably brought some realism to their planning, knowing they wouldn't always be in 100% charge of their own destiny and other factors (such as the postponements which led to Murray's sale) would hamper their ideal world thinking.
Login to get fewer ads

Funny old game on 20:00 - May 7 with 1058 viewsizzitme

Funny old game on 14:11 - May 6 by 442Dale

Impossible to say that. Barnsley might have done better (or worse) if the threat of relegation had been greater.

The fact remains that Hillcroft have achieved nothing at all at Barnsley by jumping ship there. More dough and hopeful glory for themselves. Just like Parkin years ago. Now a coach?
Funny old game on 20:38 - May 7 with 1031 views442Dale

Funny old game on 20:00 - May 7 by izzitme

The fact remains that Hillcroft have achieved nothing at all at Barnsley by jumping ship there. More dough and hopeful glory for themselves. Just like Parkin years ago. Now a coach?

Hill's stated aim was to maintain Championship status. He achieved that.

Funny old game on 20:47 - May 7 with 1018 viewsSuddenLad

Funny old game on 20:38 - May 7 by 442Dale

Hill's stated aim was to maintain Championship status. He achieved that.

Only because Pompey were docked 10 points. I doubt that was 'factored in' when the plans were being drawn up for their Championship survival plan.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Funny old game on 21:01 - May 7 with 988 views442Dale

Funny old game on 20:47 - May 7 by SuddenLad

Only because Pompey were docked 10 points. I doubt that was 'factored in' when the plans were being drawn up for their Championship survival plan.

As said earlier, that Portsmouth lost ten points changed the whole relegation battle in the Championship. It afforded Barnsley (and other sides) a cushion, without which they may have got more positive results. They may have been even more shocking under pressure too.

It's like those who say City's 3 late goals at United in the 6-1 have been vital to them winning the title on goal difference as it saw a six goal swing. It's not because plenty of other things could/might not have happened if they hadn't. Did such a heavy defeat inspire them to a run of 8 wins and a draw after the City match? Would they have stumbled along if it had ended 1-3? Someone tell Fergie that please.

Funny old game on 22:44 - May 7 with 925 viewsDaleFan7

Hope he is sacked, couldn't stick the guy when he was here. Still can't now, he is arrogant and has been found well out of his depth at Barnsley. Maybe he is a manager that is only suited to one team like some are.
Funny old game on 23:36 - May 7 with 906 viewsSuddenLad

Funny old game on 22:44 - May 7 by DaleFan7

Hope he is sacked, couldn't stick the guy when he was here. Still can't now, he is arrogant and has been found well out of his depth at Barnsley. Maybe he is a manager that is only suited to one team like some are.

That's a bit harsh. In all honestly, I am actually surprised that Barnsley have finished so far down the table. I thought they would be a mid-table side at worst. Whilst I haven't followed their fortunes particularly closely, I gather they have been badly hit by injuries, and at one point NINE first team players were all sidelined at the same time.

With such a small squad, that's difficult to manage, whoever you are. They did however probably have the lowest budget in that division, so it's familiar territory for Hillcroft, which probably accounts for some of his later 'dubious' signings.

If they are still there come August, I expect better things.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Funny old game on 01:17 - May 8 with 882 viewsNerazzurri

Funny old game on 09:04 - May 7 by ColDale

Surely if that plan was abandoned, they would have replaced it with another. Let's face it, we know they left nothing to chance, so I doubt they worked hard to create a plan, then ditched it once Murray went and decided just to try and take game at a time. The sale of Murray probably brought some realism to their planning, knowing they wouldn't always be in 100% charge of their own destiny and other factors (such as the postponements which led to Murray's sale) would hamper their ideal world thinking.

Flitcroft answered the question about the 7 year plan at a fans forum. It wasn't abandoned as such, it just was not going to happen in 7 years because things did not progress as they should have done in the plan. Selling more players than they expected was one thing, training facilities and lack of attendances were the other major points. On the pitch we were on target but they realised that the off the pitch side of the club was never going to allow us to grow as in the plan.

Forza Nerazzurri

Funny old game on 12:43 - May 8 with 779 viewsMass_Debater

Funny old game on 22:44 - May 7 by DaleFan7

What a bitter individual you are.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024