Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
you could not make it up 05:53 - Jul 23 with 1940 viewsQPR1882

Fijian man Isimeli Baleiwai at home with his two children, aged three and six.

Who has served in the British Army for 13 years and is fighting to stay in the

UK after being told he must leave the country by 9 August.

The Home Office allowed 250 foreign criminals who should have been deported at the end of their prison sentences to stay in Britain without their cases being considered by a court, it has been reported.

At least one terrorist, up to eight killers and rapists, 20 robbers and eight paedophiles were given permission to stay last year without a judge deciding their fate, according to The Sunday Telegraph.

Instead, the Home Office accepted that deporting them would be a breach or their human rights, the newspaper said.

Freedom of Information Act requests it made also revealed a dramatic increase in such cases - from 56 in 2008, 80 the following year, 217 in 2010 and 250 last year.

Home Secretary Theresa May last year announced a crackdown on use of the "right to a family life" defence to avoid deportation.

A UK Border Agency spokesman said: "There is no point in wasting taxpayers' money contesting cases where we were advised we would lose.

"We examined each claim individually but case law based on the old rules meant the courts were highly likely to uphold them.

"That's why we changed the rules last month to help us remove criminals who try to use Article 8 to dodge deportation.

"As a result, we believe we will see fewer cases where the Government is likely to lose and therefore fewer uncontested hearings."

Chris Bryant, the Labour shadow immigration minister, told The Sunday Telegraph: "Theresa May has been trying to blame the Human Rights Act for not being able to deport foreign national offenders, but it's becoming clearer every day that the real problem is her inability to get a grip of her department."

BUT ON THE OTHER HAND -

Isimeli Baleiwai known as 'Bale' to his friends is facing deportation from the UK after serving 13 years with the British Armed Forces. Bale is a foreign and commonwealth soldier from Fiji who was recruited by the MOD when he was 18.

He has served in 5 operational tours including Northern Ireland, Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan. His wife Kim is British and they have two young children a boy of 3 and a girl of 6; both British. Bale voluntarily discharged from the Armed Forces on June 15th 2012 in order to provide stability for his family.

He applied for British Citizenship in March while still a serving soldier. This was advised to him by MOD personnel because he had served 13 years and had a British wife and children. This was refused on 28/06/2012 by UKBA, Bale sent an 'appeal for review' but recieved a letter from UKBA on 14/07/2012 stating he had until 9th August 2012 to leave the country.

Under changes made to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1973 (ROA) in 2010 disciplinary offences dealt with at the Commanding Officer's discretion can now be equated to a criminal conviction.

Bale was fined in 2011 by his Commanding Officer for fighting with another soldier who instigated the fight. There was no police involvement, no trial, no defence and nor was it impartial. Bale did not know he was being charged with a criminal conviction. He believed this was an 'in-house' disciplinary offence only. He has no criminal record, this offence is only on his military record. There was no court martial. He has now appealed the conviction.

Under the changes made to ROA in 2010 Bale is now defined as a criminal by the Home Office and of not good character to become a British citizen or apply for indefinite leave to remain.

This is devastating for him and his family. It is a breach of Article 6 of the Human Rights Act (1998) and Armed Forces Covenant (2011). It is also inherently racist because the changes made will have no impact on his British Armed Forces colleagues because these military offences are not held on a criminal record. This change only has implications to immigration Law and Policy. The family believe the law and policy is discriminative.

Please show your support for Bale and his family, their lives are in turmoil. Bale has been told he has until the 9th August 2012 to leave the Country.

The Home Office has been using this 'Law' to deport Foreign and Commonwealth soldiers who have been medically discharged as well. This is a disgrace and immoral!

you could not make it up on 06:53 - Jul 23 with 1911 viewsblacky200

This country is absolutely shameful at times. People who have served in our military should be given automatic citizenship.
you could not make it up on 09:39 - Jul 23 with 1744 viewsTHEBUSH

Why doesn't he use the Human Rights thing as well !!
you could not make it up on 09:57 - Jul 23 with 1712 viewshoopstilidie

you could not make it up on 06:53 - Jul 23 by blacky200

This country is absolutely shameful at times. People who have served in our military should be given automatic citizenship.

100%

It's about time people mobilised, it's funny how you can always find a few thousand to march and protest when it impacts on their personal finances but you can't get the same people to march against decisions that are fundamentally wrong.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

you could not make it up on 10:04 - Jul 23 with 1693 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Disgusting.

Yet we let non-English speaking, non working, baby machines stay and give them houses.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

you could not make it up on 13:27 - Jul 23 with 1571 viewsQPunkR

Jeez man, I just read this and was absolutely disgusted by it. Anyone know if there's a petition going round on the interweb for this dude?

QPR - "shit but local"

you could not make it up on 14:59 - Jul 23 with 1490 viewsHayesender

In the words of this great site, I'm literally lost for words

Poll: Shamima Beghum

you could not make it up on 15:52 - Jul 23 with 1444 viewsQPR_Jim

Seems to me like the usual story with this country, total lack of common sense. by the sounds of it they've tightened up on convicted criminals using the right to a family life to stay in the country (which in itself is fair enough in my opinion) then they apply it to this guy who's only record is of being disciplined by the military. Totally overlooking his service to this country and the nature of his "criminal record", showing no grasp of common sense at all.

you could not make it up on 15:59 - Jul 23 with 1432 viewsTW_R

you could not make it up on 13:27 - Jul 23 by QPunkR

Jeez man, I just read this and was absolutely disgusted by it. Anyone know if there's a petition going round on the interweb for this dude?

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/support-isimeli-baleiwai/
Login to get fewer ads

you could not make it up on 01:11 - Jul 24 with 1259 viewsqprmick

Why didn't he apply for citizenship at any time in that 13 years? Some people make it hard for themselves.

Qprmick

you could not make it up on 13:06 - Jul 24 with 1128 viewsQPunkR

you could not make it up on 15:59 - Jul 23 by TW_R

Nice one mate, cheers

QPR - "shit but local"

you could not make it up on 13:11 - Jul 24 with 1113 viewsGloucs_R

I'm fortuante to have spent a bit of time in Fiki and they are immensley proud of their links to the Britsh. Their main road is called Quenn Elizabeth Highway and they love English people. Also fearless warriors. Sickening that they arent allowed to live in the UK after serving for her majesty.

Poll: Are we staying up?

you could not make it up on 19:19 - Jul 24 with 1029 viewsWanderR

you could not make it up on 13:11 - Jul 24 by Gloucs_R

I'm fortuante to have spent a bit of time in Fiki and they are immensley proud of their links to the Britsh. Their main road is called Quenn Elizabeth Highway and they love English people. Also fearless warriors. Sickening that they arent allowed to live in the UK after serving for her majesty.

Seriously thinking restoring the monarchy in Fiji. It was removed after a coup in which Fiji was declared a republic with the Queen later declared 'Paramount Chief' although most of the country (including the Prime Minister) still consider her to be their Queen.

Restoring proper democracy and rule of law might be a more pressing consideration though.

Current location: OX10

you could not make it up on 19:25 - Jul 24 with 1021 viewsTW_R

you could not make it up on 13:06 - Jul 24 by QPunkR

Nice one mate, cheers

No problem.

Time Joanna Lumley stepped in and started up a campaign like the one she spearheaded for the Gurkhas.
you could not make it up on 19:44 - Jul 24 with 1003 viewsCHUBBS

Failed Britain strikes again, the morals of the country just gets worse.
Happy to standby and let children get massacred in Syria cos there's no oil at stake whilst good people that do serve the country proudly are sent packing.
We should execute the bastards that make decisions like this.
I'm so unproud of this hypocritical bullsh@t country where our governments and other so called leaders are concerned.The place would be far better off if they were all strung up!
you could not make it up on 19:54 - Jul 24 with 989 viewsqprissimo

you could not make it up on 19:44 - Jul 24 by CHUBBS

Failed Britain strikes again, the morals of the country just gets worse.
Happy to standby and let children get massacred in Syria cos there's no oil at stake whilst good people that do serve the country proudly are sent packing.
We should execute the bastards that make decisions like this.
I'm so unproud of this hypocritical bullsh@t country where our governments and other so called leaders are concerned.The place would be far better off if they were all strung up!

How on earth do you deduce that we are happy to stand by on Syria?

Should it be considered 'good morals' to execute and/or hang people who make decisions in good faith that you disagree with?

Of course oil and economic considerations are important in taking such decisions. That is because it matters to you, me and every other person in this country, directly or indirectly. Do you really believe that is why decisions are made over Syria? What would you have the UK do?
you could not make it up on 20:36 - Jul 24 with 953 viewsCHUBBS

you could not make it up on 19:54 - Jul 24 by qprissimo

Should it be considered 'good morals' to execute and/or hang people who make decisions in good faith that you disagree with?

Of course oil and economic considerations are important in taking such decisions. That is because it matters to you, me and every other person in this country, directly or indirectly. Do you really believe that is why decisions are made over Syria? What would you have the UK do?

Well we aren't exactly going out of our way to prevent the atrocities like we have in other parts of the world when these situ's arise.

Definitley,specifically the so called honourable gentleman who have been lieing,thieving and generally screwing the general public as far back as i can remember.As for making decisions in good faith,do you mean leaving the main industry of the country under regulated to a degree that rich c@nt bankers(same breed as the Etonian filth)could bring the working classes to their knees?

What they usually do in these circumstances,make up some bullsh@t excuse to go in and take over.Then we can pretend we are doing it for freedom(like in Iraq,Afganastan)and we can all sleep easy conscience clear.
you could not make it up on 20:36 - Jul 24 with 952 viewsHayesender

you could not make it up on 19:54 - Jul 24 by qprissimo

Write a strongly worded letter?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

you could not make it up on 20:42 - Jul 24 with 943 viewsCHUBBS

you could not make it up on 20:36 - Jul 24 by Hayesender

Write a strongly worded letter?

That just might work Hayes
you could not make it up on 20:58 - Jul 24 with 924 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

you could not make it up on 15:59 - Jul 23 by TW_R

Thanks for posting the link. This is one of life's injustices. I have particular gripes with ukba.
you could not make it up on 21:26 - Jul 24 with 895 viewsTW_R

you could not make it up on 20:58 - Jul 24 by Pablo_Hoopsta

Thanks for posting the link. This is one of life's injustices. I have particular gripes with ukba.

No problem Pablo. Hopefully it will help!
you could not make it up on 02:04 - Jul 25 with 777 viewsqprissimo

you could not make it up on 20:36 - Jul 24 by CHUBBS

Well we aren't exactly going out of our way to prevent the atrocities like we have in other parts of the world when these situ's arise.

Definitley,specifically the so called honourable gentleman who have been lieing,thieving and generally screwing the general public as far back as i can remember.As for making decisions in good faith,do you mean leaving the main industry of the country under regulated to a degree that rich c@nt bankers(same breed as the Etonian filth)could bring the working classes to their knees?

What they usually do in these circumstances,make up some bullsh@t excuse to go in and take over.Then we can pretend we are doing it for freedom(like in Iraq,Afganastan)and we can all sleep easy conscience clear.

The UK has no power to resolve the issue on its own. Without allies, including obviously the US but also support from the region, any intervention would be a disaster. And even with that support it would still be highly likely to result in the kind of mess that Iraq ended up in. Unlike Libya, any military venture would be extremely complex and have little guarantee of success. Other options like effective sanctions are off the table so long as China and Russia wield their vetoes.

Obviously there are some crap politicians. Many good politicians have made crap decisions. Not all act in good faith. Changes that were made to banking regulations were crap, and have resulted in a big mess. There were questionable links between the City and politicians. But we were talking about Syria, not the banking crisis. And the decisions that have been made so far on Syria I would suggest have been made in good faith and are probably the right ones for the UK, the people that our government represent. I'm sure they wish they could do more. By the way I don't get this automatic hatred of all bankers and Etonians. Many are prats, as are many of the working class you so desperately care for.

Neither Iraq or Afghanistan were justified on the basis of freedom (George Bush probably said it though). Both were in the name of national security. I'm sure you don't actually advocate this response anyway.

When does the season start again?

you could not make it up on 10:32 - Jul 25 with 694 viewsWestbourneR

'Serving for her majesty' is the kind of tired creepy line that you might find in The Sun.

They're not really serving her any more are they - the Army follows orders issued by a demoncratically elected modern government. It's paid public sector job.

Poll: Should JFH get the sack?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024