Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ryan Edwards 08:53 - Sep 2 with 1867 viewsAtThePeake

Sorry, not trying to make things all negative when everyone seems to be quite happy, but can someone explain what all the fuss is about with Ryan Edwards?

I've only been to the 3 competitive home games this year, and I presume he can't have played too well when we conceded 4 at Torquay, but for me he's a fairly poor centre half from what I've seen.

I understand yesterday he had a more obviously poor game, but from what I've seen he gives the ball away much too cheaply much too often and is quite often ousted out of tackles by opponents that appear to be weaker than him.

I am yet to see what people see in him. I hope he comes good but for me he's been fairly poor in the games I've seen him in, and whilst I understand that he's kept clean sheets in 2 of them, I feel a less wasteful strike-force would have changed things for Northampton & Barnet.

Tangled up in blue.

Ryan Edwards on 09:16 - Sep 2 with 1819 views442Dale

He has all the attributes to be a very good centre half, but he does give forwards a chance on occasions at the moment. We have to remember he's not only 18, but has played hardly any first team games so he's learning with each 90 minutes.

Would like to see Bennett get a run out on Tuesday, and it doesn't have to be at R.Edwards expense.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ryan Edwards on 12:09 - Sep 2 with 1656 viewssandylaner1

agree

distribution was not good at all today either
Ryan Edwards on 12:10 - Sep 2 with 1652 viewsTalkingSutty

Ryan Edwards on 09:16 - Sep 2 by 442Dale

He has all the attributes to be a very good centre half, but he does give forwards a chance on occasions at the moment. We have to remember he's not only 18, but has played hardly any first team games so he's learning with each 90 minutes.

Would like to see Bennett get a run out on Tuesday, and it doesn't have to be at R.Edwards expense.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

I liked the look of Bennet in the pre-season games, it will be intersting to see how he performs when given his chance.
Ryan Edwards on 23:31 - Sep 2 with 1459 viewsShun

I think his best game was Chesterfield away where he cleared a few off the line. If it was a simple choice of who to leave out between Phil and Ryan then it'd be Phil taking a break for me every time.
Ryan Edwards on 23:50 - Sep 2 with 1436 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Ryan Edwards on 12:09 - Sep 2 by sandylaner1

agree

particularly his passing over distance.........not another McArdle/Holness though.
Ryan Edwards on 01:14 - Sep 3 with 1395 viewsEastlands_Dale

You could call me naive, but the lad is 18. He has all the attributed of being a top centre half. I wouldn't mind an 18 year old with the potential he has, permanent.

Give the lad a chance, he's most defiantly a league two defender. He'll adapt
Ryan Edwards on 11:17 - Sep 3 with 1239 viewsbamford_dale

Ryan Edwards on 12:09 - Sep 2 by sandylaner1

agree

Couldn't disagree more. Funny how different people can see a game/performance.

I thought his distribution was a great feature of his play, particularly over distance. I can only recall one poor ball which put us under a bit of pressure.

Stood in the Sandy next to some old timers who were calling for him and others just to lump it up front but I was impressed with his patience in looking for the right ball, whether that was a short sideways pass or a ball up to Dele.

He's by no way the finished article but I think he has a good footballing brain and will improve with more game-time.

I thought the defence was pretty impressive as a unit. Phil Edwards is unrecognisable from last season. Both wing-backs look confident and are not afraid of putting in a meaty challenge when required.

Personally, I like the way we build up slowly from the back and will only play balls forward when there is a definite option. I respect the guys who have been coming for years in the Sandy, but the constant calls for the ball to be lofted forward aimlessly and the way they get on the backs of our players does get tiring. There are a couple of old blokes who are good value with the comments they come out with though. All part and parcel of the Sandy Lane experience.

Ryan Edwards on 13:18 - Sep 3 with 1144 views100notout

Ryan Edwards on 11:17 - Sep 3 by bamford_dale

Couldn't disagree more. Funny how different people can see a game/performance.

I thought his distribution was a great feature of his play, particularly over distance. I can only recall one poor ball which put us under a bit of pressure.

Stood in the Sandy next to some old timers who were calling for him and others just to lump it up front but I was impressed with his patience in looking for the right ball, whether that was a short sideways pass or a ball up to Dele.

He's by no way the finished article but I think he has a good footballing brain and will improve with more game-time.

I thought the defence was pretty impressive as a unit. Phil Edwards is unrecognisable from last season. Both wing-backs look confident and are not afraid of putting in a meaty challenge when required.

Personally, I like the way we build up slowly from the back and will only play balls forward when there is a definite option. I respect the guys who have been coming for years in the Sandy, but the constant calls for the ball to be lofted forward aimlessly and the way they get on the backs of our players does get tiring. There are a couple of old blokes who are good value with the comments they come out with though. All part and parcel of the Sandy Lane experience.

Good post.

Is it strange sometimes how people see things differently - you must stand somewhere near me BD. I heard a guy on Saturday continually calling Jason Kennedy, saying how bad he was, couldn't tackle, always giving the ball away and that Coleman should "get him off".

I don't think JK had one of his better games but anyone that hadn't seen JK before and listened to the above might have thought he was another Andy Farrell or Mark Leonard - God forbid!

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Login to get fewer ads

Ryan Edwards on 14:35 - Sep 3 with 1086 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

according to Blackburn Rovers he's something special that's why they never sold him to us but loaned him to us

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

Ryan Edwards on 14:42 - Sep 3 with 1076 viewsisitme

Bamford Dale

In the TDS there are a few long ball merchants as well. There is a bloke who sits in the same vicinity as me who loves the good old 'get it forward' shout. Although he is upset as both Holness and Thompson have left as he has no one to abuse. I am waiting till he starts on Dele.
Ryan Edwards on 15:19 - Sep 3 with 1044 viewslurker

Ryan Edwards on 14:35 - Sep 3 by DaleAwaydayBot

according to Blackburn Rovers he's something special that's why they never sold him to us but loaned him to us

This.

Been impressed by both the lads that came from Blackburn and I think they are victims of looking and playing older than their years. Edwards turns 19 soon and Pearson has just turned 19.

Edwards has had some momentary lapses but he is still learning and it is clear he is a good defender. He has the right frame and mindset to be successful. Those on twitter will know he was beating himself black and blue over his performance at Torquay and had to receive a lot of encouragement from the more senior Dale players on there. It is a shame some of the more senior Dale fans can't do the same because I thought his response on Saturday was very good with no sign of his confidence being affected.

Pearson IMHO will make Dale a few quid in the future (probably £300k or summat) because he is a very able defender for his age and his pace and endeavour in an attacking sense is a huge asset. He also looks like he really gives a fook as his reaction to Dele's goal (which he made) showed.

I honestly think some of these arses in the crowd do not understand how football is played. I mean shouting "hit him" to a defender who is rightly staying on his feet as a winger bears down on him at full pelt is not in any coaching manuals I know.
Ryan Edwards on 15:28 - Sep 3 with 1031 viewsisitme

A lot of our elderly supporters are unfortunately relics of the Charlie Hughes coaching manual.
Ryan Edwards on 15:50 - Sep 3 with 1005 viewsfitzochris

I remember when I used to stand in the Sandy. There was one guy who would shout, every week, regardless of the opposition: "Have you brought your wellies?" Never did get to the bottom of that one.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ryan Edwards on 16:20 - Sep 3 with 975 viewsPotterDale

Ryan Edwards on 15:28 - Sep 3 by isitme

A lot of our elderly supporters are unfortunately relics of the Charlie Hughes coaching manual.

All of whom by strange coincidence choose to go in the seats
Ryan Edwards on 16:24 - Sep 3 with 966 viewsisitme

Ryan Edwards on 16:20 - Sep 3 by PotterDale

All of whom by strange coincidence choose to go in the seats

Both 100notout and Bamford Dale refer to supporters making similar comments in the Sandy or did you chose not to read these comments.

I do not know what you beef is with people sitting down at football matches?
Ryan Edwards on 16:29 - Sep 3 with 956 viewsfitzochris

Aye, nowt wrong with sitting. I served my time in the Sandy and now rest my weary limbs in the Pearl.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Ryan Edwards on 16:32 - Sep 3 with 949 viewsisitme

Ryan Edwards on 16:29 - Sep 3 by fitzochris

Aye, nowt wrong with sitting. I served my time in the Sandy and now rest my weary limbs in the Pearl.

As did I.

I can now afford to sit down and like having my own guaranteed seat, which is in a goo position.
Ryan Edwards on 21:02 - Sep 3 with 844 viewspl56

Ryan Edwards on 15:19 - Sep 3 by lurker

This.

Been impressed by both the lads that came from Blackburn and I think they are victims of looking and playing older than their years. Edwards turns 19 soon and Pearson has just turned 19.

Edwards has had some momentary lapses but he is still learning and it is clear he is a good defender. He has the right frame and mindset to be successful. Those on twitter will know he was beating himself black and blue over his performance at Torquay and had to receive a lot of encouragement from the more senior Dale players on there. It is a shame some of the more senior Dale fans can't do the same because I thought his response on Saturday was very good with no sign of his confidence being affected.

Pearson IMHO will make Dale a few quid in the future (probably £300k or summat) because he is a very able defender for his age and his pace and endeavour in an attacking sense is a huge asset. He also looks like he really gives a fook as his reaction to Dele's goal (which he made) showed.

I honestly think some of these arses in the crowd do not understand how football is played. I mean shouting "hit him" to a defender who is rightly staying on his feet as a winger bears down on him at full pelt is not in any coaching manuals I know.

Excellent post .

No matter what chaos reigns at other levels within the Blackburn set up , their youth system is among the best , as demonstrated by their getting to the youth cup final last year . Edwards was captain , and is clearly highly thought of at Rovers .

My only view of him this season was vs Barnsley , and for an 18 year old , I thought he handled Davies , who is a handful for more experienced players , better than might have been expected , and looked a real prospect . Like BamfordDale I thought he tried hard to be constructive with his use of the ball whenever he could .

Sadly , at my age , I don't engage with Twitter , but I am delighted to read what you say about Edwards' apparent anguish at his performance at Torquay . As I say I didn't see that , but that kind of feedback suggests a lad who is an honest pprofessional , who cares about his profession and his employer , and who recognises the need to learn and is willing to do so . For me that's a model pro who at 18 should be encouraged rather than looking for areas of his game to criticise .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024