Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sterling 18:36 - Sep 10 with 1358 viewsphomem

Strange england call up and only 17
Sterling on 18:38 - Sep 10 with 1353 viewsRAFC1907

Top player, looks to have a better end product than Walcott, technically fantastic, plenty of pace and trickery.

Poll: Bottomley...

Sterling on 18:55 - Sep 10 with 1328 viewsisitme

Although early in the season Sterling has been Liverpool's best player in the few games I have seen. He plays in a similar position to Walcott and would be unlikely to play. Why not have him in training with the squad?
Sterling on 19:34 - Sep 10 with 1293 viewsdeanogod

he's wanted by jamaica too. my guess this is to tie him up to england. dont be surprised if he gets a minute or two at the end if we're winning well
Sterling on 19:35 - Sep 10 with 1288 viewsAtThePeake

Great experience for him to be in and around the squad and understand the way that Hodgson works, and of course for the manager to see how he would fit in the squad.

Won't play, but a good decision to give him that experience.

Tangled up in blue.

Sterling on 19:35 - Sep 10 with 1289 viewsbilbobaggins

Sterling on 19:34 - Sep 10 by deanogod

he's wanted by jamaica too. my guess this is to tie him up to england. dont be surprised if he gets a minute or two at the end if we're winning well

i would start him from the off and let him run em ragged hes a class player
Sterling on 19:59 - Sep 10 with 1267 viewsEastlands_Dale

I wouldn't label it as strange in the least. i'd label it commonsense and very wise management from Hodgson. Get these young lads a taste of international first team football and make them hungry. He has all the attributes and none the less, potential to be a world class footballer.

He has been liverpool's best player this season, up to now. And a England run out can only benefit him. As said above I would also start him from the off and let him run ragged. Himself and Ox on the wings is dangerous. Doubtful its going to happen as one of them won't get as many minutes as they should but, honestly these two lads are actually a glimmer of hope for 2014 onwards.

Come on England. Well done Hodgson
Sterling on 20:25 - Sep 10 with 1240 viewsdingdangblue

Shouldnt he have been in the under 21 squad ? Seems strange he was overlooked for that but is now in the full squad?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Sterling on 20:29 - Sep 10 with 1232 viewsboromat

Definitely not strange when you realise he's an out and out left winger who's willing to take defenders on. Very rare for the England Team!

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Login to get fewer ads

Sterling on 20:41 - Sep 10 with 1212 viewsSuddenLad

As deanogod says, he has been picked simply to thwart the Jamaican FA from selecting him to play for Jamaica.

Hodgson has said that 'only in unforeseeable circumstances' will he take the field, but I reckon he could well get a few minutes at the end simply to secure his services as an England player.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Sterling on 21:13 - Sep 10 with 1187 viewspioneer

Devaluing national team call ups. This is a world cup qualifier, not some joke friendly against Western Somoa.

The three call ups have played 36 premier league games between them - I expect a large proportion of those will have been substitute appearances. None of them have exactly set the world on fire, at this stage.

A reflection on the state of our national game - agents price british players out of the market so teams fill their squads with cheaper foreign players.

Sterling on 21:20 - Sep 10 with 1173 viewsSalwaDale

Sterling on 21:13 - Sep 10 by pioneer

Devaluing national team call ups. This is a world cup qualifier, not some joke friendly against Western Somoa.

The three call ups have played 36 premier league games between them - I expect a large proportion of those will have been substitute appearances. None of them have exactly set the world on fire, at this stage.

A reflection on the state of our national game - agents price british players out of the market so teams fill their squads with cheaper foreign players.

We always hear that the old guard were rubbish and England should give younger players a go but when they do then they shouldn't.

TBBT

Sterling on 21:24 - Sep 10 with 1168 viewspioneer

Sterling on 21:20 - Sep 10 by SalwaDale

We always hear that the old guard were rubbish and England should give younger players a go but when they do then they shouldn't.

I didnt say anything about age, only experience. The german team is often based on young players, all of which have already played many games at the Bundersliga level showing their ability to compete at the highest level.
Sterling on 21:34 - Sep 10 with 1153 viewsAtThePeake

Sterling on 21:13 - Sep 10 by pioneer

Could also argue that the influx of foreign players has improved the quality of our own players. Playing with skilled players in training week in week out is only going to benefit them.

The 'Golden Generation' never worked out as we did, in my opinion due to poor management and a lack of cohesion with the playing squad, but I have no doubt in my mind that those players of that generation were more talented and more skillfull than generations before hand because of the foreign influence on our game.

Tangled up in blue.

Sterling on 21:45 - Sep 10 with 1144 viewsSuddenLad

Sterling on 21:34 - Sep 10 by AtThePeake

Could also argue that the influx of foreign players has improved the quality of our own players. Playing with skilled players in training week in week out is only going to benefit them.

The 'Golden Generation' never worked out as we did, in my opinion due to poor management and a lack of cohesion with the playing squad, but I have no doubt in my mind that those players of that generation were more talented and more skillfull than generations before hand because of the foreign influence on our game.

The 'Golden Generation' failed, largely because they weren't anything like as good as their publicity machines claimed they were and they were 'bigged up' to a ridiculous degree by a fawning press.

They were mainly a collection of disparate individuals with huge egos who were more concerned with themselves than their objectives.

It would be interesting to see who would be playing for England if it were merely for the honour of doing so and not for financial reward. It's not as if any of them are underpaid at club level is it ?

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Sterling on 22:11 - Sep 10 with 1114 viewsAtThePeake

Sterling on 21:45 - Sep 10 by SuddenLad

The 'Golden Generation' failed, largely because they weren't anything like as good as their publicity machines claimed they were and they were 'bigged up' to a ridiculous degree by a fawning press.

They were mainly a collection of disparate individuals with huge egos who were more concerned with themselves than their objectives.

It would be interesting to see who would be playing for England if it were merely for the honour of doing so and not for financial reward. It's not as if any of them are underpaid at club level is it ?

I'm intrigued as to which players you think were 'bigged up' or overhyped?

Also, I think they'd all still play for England. They'd be destroyed by press and crowds if they refused to play for free.

Tangled up in blue.

Sterling on 04:13 - Sep 11 with 1063 viewsdavidab2202

Thoght I'd read somewhere that their match fee for playing for England is donated to a charity.

Seems a sensible thing to get promising young players around the squad for training.

Interesting point in foreign player discussion--less then a third of the players who played in last round of premier games are actually available to play for England
Sterling on 09:51 - Sep 11 with 1004 viewsdingdangblue

The golden generation failed because we cant win penalty shoot outs. We shouldve beat portugal in 04 and again in 06 - there's 2 semi finals we couldve been in and who knows?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024