Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Fields 10:52 - Dec 20 with 7284 viewsFFC1

Anyone read this? The main guy Keith Talent (ex armed robber and soon to be murderer) is a QPR fan and much of the action revolves around pubs in the Golborne/Portobello Road area- brilliant local detail and focus on things like darts and pub culture in the late 80's, well worth a read
London Fields on 11:11 - Dec 20 with 6157 viewssmegma

Just read a synopsis/review of it and it sounds awful. I'll give it a miss I think.
London Fields on 11:20 - Dec 20 with 6113 viewsJuzzie

That's all where I grew up so might give it a go.

London Fields on 11:41 - Dec 20 with 6077 viewsBrightonhoop

Read it back in the day, whilst there is interesting attention to detail Amis' sneering at the good folk of west London, QPR in particular, from his maligned position of absolute privelidge of a wealthy life in Holland Park, killed it for me. His head is far up his own back side I couldn't read Times Arrow, which I think was his next book. It's been gathering dust on the bookshelf for the past 2 decades...
London Fields on 11:45 - Dec 20 with 6063 viewsFFC1

London Fields on 11:41 - Dec 20 by Brightonhoop

Read it back in the day, whilst there is interesting attention to detail Amis' sneering at the good folk of west London, QPR in particular, from his maligned position of absolute privelidge of a wealthy life in Holland Park, killed it for me. His head is far up his own back side I couldn't read Times Arrow, which I think was his next book. It's been gathering dust on the bookshelf for the past 2 decades...

To be honest I really didn't read it like that- didn't think he was sneering at all, but he also includes a lot of the more exclusive parts of Notting Hill/ Chelsea etc so he wasn't focused entirely on West London proper if you know what I mean
London Fields on 11:53 - Dec 20 with 6047 viewsTacticalR

Amis sounds like a man who is very happy with the changes in football. This was an interview he did in 2001:

'I last went to a match at QPR, and I thought, "I'm never going to go to a football match again."
I was startled by the ugliness of it. Then the other day I went and watched the match through a glass booth, at a party for a friend, and thought that was a bit more like it. And I did take the boys to that Manchester United-Bayern Munich game, where United scored two goals in the last two minutes, and although I'm not a United supporter there was no one happier in that stadium than me, that I didn't have to drag my children through 50,000 steaming hooligans. They were already stripped to the waist, and crying, by the last five minutes - and ugly, ugly, ugly.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/4721260/The-living-V-sign.html

Air hostess clique

London Fields on 11:57 - Dec 20 with 6027 viewsFFC1

London Fields on 11:53 - Dec 20 by TacticalR

Amis sounds like a man who is very happy with the changes in football. This was an interview he did in 2001:

'I last went to a match at QPR, and I thought, "I'm never going to go to a football match again."
I was startled by the ugliness of it. Then the other day I went and watched the match through a glass booth, at a party for a friend, and thought that was a bit more like it. And I did take the boys to that Manchester United-Bayern Munich game, where United scored two goals in the last two minutes, and although I'm not a United supporter there was no one happier in that stadium than me, that I didn't have to drag my children through 50,000 steaming hooligans. They were already stripped to the waist, and crying, by the last five minutes - and ugly, ugly, ugly.'

What an f'cking idiot, had no idea he said that- still think the book is worth reading for the local detail but now with a critical mindset in view of BrightonHoop and your reflections
London Fields on 11:57 - Dec 20 with 6024 viewstoboboly

London Fields on 11:53 - Dec 20 by TacticalR

Sounds like a right see you next tuesday.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

London Fields on 11:59 - Dec 20 with 6017 viewsMytch_QPR

It's a good book - that Nicola Six character is a right sort. I left my first (half finished) copy in a Bar in Greece, so I had to buy it twice!

There's another book written about an Rs fan (even has the hooped jumper on the front of my copy) - I think it was called White City Blues, or something?

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Login to get fewer ads

London Fields on 12:27 - Dec 20 with 5961 viewslondonscottish

London Fields on 11:59 - Dec 20 by Mytch_QPR

It's a good book - that Nicola Six character is a right sort. I left my first (half finished) copy in a Bar in Greece, so I had to buy it twice!

There's another book written about an Rs fan (even has the hooped jumper on the front of my copy) - I think it was called White City Blues, or something?

White City Blue was by Tim Lott. Tim's an R. Grew up in Stanmore, now lives in Kensal Rise.

I'm good mates with his little bro - who got me into the R's. The book is based on some of their experiences growing up in West London.

I loved that book and went on to read all Tim's other novels. Interesting, funny, good local/period detail.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

London Fields on 12:30 - Dec 20 with 5955 viewsTacticalR

Amis's remarks are interesting for a couple of reasons...

1) A lot of people mourn for the lost soul of the game...whereas Amis loves it!
2) Where did he see 50,000 hoolies? At Loftus Road?

Air hostess clique

London Fields on 12:33 - Dec 20 with 5945 viewssmegma

London Fields on 11:57 - Dec 20 by toboboly

Sounds like a right see you next tuesday.

Nail.

Head.
London Fields on 13:01 - Dec 20 with 5899 views1MoreBrightonR

i tried reading london fields a few years ago and just couldn't get in to it, despite the fact i grew up around portobello road. I don't view him badly for writing about the ncier areas as most of them werent at the time he wrote the book...my problem was i just didnt think the book was any good.

White City Blue is a good read.
London Fields on 13:52 - Dec 20 with 5823 views18StoneOfHoop

London Fields on 11:11 - Dec 20 by smegma

Just read a synopsis/review of it and it sounds awful. I'll give it a miss I think.

Martin Amis lived in Leamington Road Villas with his rotten teeth (he spent $50,000 of a book advance fixing them in NYC) 5mins from Portobello towards Westbourne Park station.He based the pub in the book as a cross between the Golden Cross (later The Market Bar),The Colville (for darts) and The Warwick Castle which was popular with many celeb trendies in the 80's.Sexy Wendy James of Transvision Vamp - 7-balled her at pool once,whilst professionally ignoring her taut bum - Neneh Cherry,Andrea Oliver of Rip,Rig and Panic,Radio London and mum of T4 presenter Miquita,Joe Strummer popped in occasionally too but loudest and most obnoxious of them all was Fulham celeb fan- luvvie Keith Allen,the up-himself bogus poseur.More interested in Welsh rugby on Saturdays in the 80's -JCL bandwaggoner.His brother Kevin,the director of welsh indie flick Twin Town,is less arrogant and alright.He lived in Stanlake Road W12 & when I was his postie he gave me a bottle of wine @ Xmas.

The Warwick Castle @ 2:24mins

A right couple of w anchors:
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

London Fields on 13:57 - Dec 20 with 5798 viewsJonDoeman

London Fields on 12:27 - Dec 20 by londonscottish

White City Blue was by Tim Lott. Tim's an R. Grew up in Stanmore, now lives in Kensal Rise.

I'm good mates with his little bro - who got me into the R's. The book is based on some of their experiences growing up in West London.

I loved that book and went on to read all Tim's other novels. Interesting, funny, good local/period detail.

Yep, excellent book.

It Is What It Is !!

London Fields on 13:59 - Dec 20 with 5794 viewsKonk

London Fields on 13:52 - Dec 20 by 18StoneOfHoop

Martin Amis lived in Leamington Road Villas with his rotten teeth (he spent $50,000 of a book advance fixing them in NYC) 5mins from Portobello towards Westbourne Park station.He based the pub in the book as a cross between the Golden Cross (later The Market Bar),The Colville (for darts) and The Warwick Castle which was popular with many celeb trendies in the 80's.Sexy Wendy James of Transvision Vamp - 7-balled her at pool once,whilst professionally ignoring her taut bum - Neneh Cherry,Andrea Oliver of Rip,Rig and Panic,Radio London and mum of T4 presenter Miquita,Joe Strummer popped in occasionally too but loudest and most obnoxious of them all was Fulham celeb fan- luvvie Keith Allen,the up-himself bogus poseur.More interested in Welsh rugby on Saturdays in the 80's -JCL bandwaggoner.His brother Kevin,the director of welsh indie flick Twin Town,is less arrogant and alright.He lived in Stanlake Road W12 & when I was his postie he gave me a bottle of wine @ Xmas.

The Warwick Castle @ 2:24mins

A right couple of w anchors:

Keith Allen may be a bit of a plum, but I can remember seeing him down at Fulham during the 4th division days, so even if he wasn't a regular at that point, we was still getting along to some games.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

London Fields on 13:59 - Dec 20 with 5793 viewsJuzzie

Wendy James lived two doors down from me in Colville Terrace. Nom nom nom.....
London Fields on 14:09 - Dec 20 with 5766 viewsTacticalR

@18StoneOfHoop, perhaps his teeth were playing up the day he came to Loftus Road?

Air hostess clique

London Fields on 14:23 - Dec 20 with 5739 views18StoneOfHoop

London Fields on 14:09 - Dec 20 by TacticalR

@18StoneOfHoop, perhaps his teeth were playing up the day he came to Loftus Road?

His games are tennis and snooker.He is a snob like his old man Kingsley with much prole dread yet he is a fine prose stylist.
He played tennis @ St Marks Park and The Vandebilt Club as used by Princess Diana & demolished for Westfield.
When he still lived in England he played snooker with fellow novelists Julian Barnes and Ian McEwan and with his best mate the late argumentative atheist intellectual one-time leftie hero the journalist & political commentator Christopher Hitchens.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

London Fields on 14:34 - Dec 20 with 5713 views18StoneOfHoop

For all you red-blooded LFW pervs - Hi Holloway - who've got this far on this thread and don't give a stuff about up-itself over-hyped JuanKey Notting bleeding Hill, here's some more gratuitous luscious Wendy James in her late 80's pneumatic heyday videos.Enjoy.

Rather than becoming big in Hollywood - as she ambitiously told The Face she would - she became a junkie scag addict ,now supposedly rehabilitated and lives in New York.

London Fields on 14:51 - Dec 20 with 5691 viewsFFC1

London Fields on 14:23 - Dec 20 by 18StoneOfHoop

His games are tennis and snooker.He is a snob like his old man Kingsley with much prole dread yet he is a fine prose stylist.
He played tennis @ St Marks Park and The Vandebilt Club as used by Princess Diana & demolished for Westfield.
When he still lived in England he played snooker with fellow novelists Julian Barnes and Ian McEwan and with his best mate the late argumentative atheist intellectual one-time leftie hero the journalist & political commentator Christopher Hitchens.

'Fine prose stylist'- agree: 'mutton vindaloo with napalm sauce' from the Indian Mutiny on Cathcart Road sounds good
London Fields on 15:32 - Dec 20 with 5647 viewsTacticalR

A bit more on what Martin Amis said after his visit to Loftus Road:

"Every British male, at some time or another, goes to his last football match. It may very well be his first football match. You stay home, thereafter, and watch it on TV. At my last football match, I noticed that the fans all had the complexion and body-scent of a cheese-and-onion crisp, and the eyes of pitbulls. But what I felt most conclusively, above and below and on every side, was ugliness - and a love of ugliness."

(From Amis's review of Bill Buford's Amongst The Thugs)

Air hostess clique

London Fields on 16:07 - Dec 20 with 5593 viewsCornish_oooRRRR

London Fields on 14:51 - Dec 20 by FFC1

'Fine prose stylist'- agree: 'mutton vindaloo with napalm sauce' from the Indian Mutiny on Cathcart Road sounds good

Enjoyed London Fields and Success. Time's Arrow is original and very good IMO.

Not bothered about the rest

It's got to be Yarg

London Fields on 22:58 - Dec 20 with 5398 viewssmegma

London Fields on 14:34 - Dec 20 by 18StoneOfHoop

For all you red-blooded LFW pervs - Hi Holloway - who've got this far on this thread and don't give a stuff about up-itself over-hyped JuanKey Notting bleeding Hill, here's some more gratuitous luscious Wendy James in her late 80's pneumatic heyday videos.Enjoy.

Rather than becoming big in Hollywood - as she ambitiously told The Face she would - she became a junkie scag addict ,now supposedly rehabilitated and lives in New York.

The bass player ended up making it big over the pond when his next band sold 10 million CDs.Shame they were gash.
London Fields on 02:19 - Dec 21 with 5327 viewsSonofNorfolt

Tim Lott, probably like Nick Hornby, is a good story teller, but when it comes to association football, I like/want the facts to be right, especially when Rangers are involved, and he makes mistakes, much as Hornby doesn't watch footie at 'Fever Pitch' like most of us on here, or certainly me.
This is part of the reason I had a go at writing, I wanted it to be real and accurate, which it certainly wasn't in their efforts.
I recall reading Martin Amis's 'cheese & onion crisp' comment, & it still makes me me laugh to this day.
If you have not got a clue about a subject, don't write/patronise the many by pretending you do, like silver spooned Amis, Clarkson or that Blur vvanker James.
London Fields on 02:25 - Dec 21 with 5325 viewsSonofNorfolt

London Fields on 13:59 - Dec 20 by Konk

Keith Allen may be a bit of a plum, but I can remember seeing him down at Fulham during the 4th division days, so even if he wasn't a regular at that point, we was still getting along to some games.

Konk, you're correct, he's Fulham, not sure if he still lives on a boat, & hates Rangers: Robert Elms told me that, but I don't mind at all if he does if he's still regular since your nadir about twenty or so years ago.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024