Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
CLL thread. 23:16 - May 25 with 4431 viewsRockerdale97

Few on here must watch CLL cricket or have watched CLL cricket in the past years.

Debate: Best Pro EVER in the league?
Whose going to win the league this season?

Good win for the Redbrook boys today
CLL thread. on 23:19 - May 25 with 4423 views442Dale

Most entertaining pro by a mile was Gus Logie.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

CLL thread. on 23:21 - May 25 with 4412 viewsroccydaleian

Answer to question 2.
Hopefully, Littleborough.
CLL thread. on 23:22 - May 25 with 4397 viewsRockerdale97

CLL thread. on 23:21 - May 25 by roccydaleian

Answer to question 2.
Hopefully, Littleborough.

I wonder why?
CLL thread. on 23:25 - May 25 with 4393 viewsroccydaleian

CLL thread. on 23:22 - May 25 by Rockerdale97

I wonder why?

Clint and Chris
CLL thread. on 23:26 - May 25 with 4389 viewsD_Alien

CLL thread. on 23:19 - May 25 by 442Dale

Most entertaining pro by a mile was Gus Logie.

On the subject of Gus Logie, anyone else attend the benefit match at Norden where the entire West Indian test squad turned up to play, plus manager Clive Lloyd? Think it was around 1994 or 95.

The match was threatened by persistent rain in the morning, but then the clouds departed and the players mixed with the crowd to make it a special day. The exception was Brian Lara, who arrived half way through their innings and smacked a few boundaries before driving off before the innings had finished - but he may have had good reasons and fair play to him for turning up.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

CLL thread. on 00:31 - May 26 with 4347 views_dezzy

Best pro I seen at Rochdale was Dave Callaghan, taught l/boro in the wood cup final how to win , poor old deaken was smacked all over middys ground

KHBA

CLL thread. on 07:11 - May 26 with 4317 viewsTalkingSutty

CLL thread. on 00:31 - May 26 by _dezzy

Best pro I seen at Rochdale was Dave Callaghan, taught l/boro in the wood cup final how to win , poor old deaken was smacked all over middys ground

Joel Garner was the best pro i ever saw in the CLL, he used to coach us in the nets as kids and even from a standing position he still bowled like the wind.
CLL thread. on 09:33 - May 26 with 4271 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

There's certainly been some great pro's in the CLL :-

Carl Hooper, Big Bird,Geoff Lawson, Andy Roberts, Sir Garry, Gus Logie, Sherwin Campbell even the mean and moody Ezzzzzzzzzra.

Played for half a season with Curtly Ambrose, a fine bowler once he started to bowl at the stumps rather than try to knock everyones head off, he was quick!

Dont follow the CLL as much as i'd like, so no idea who the likely winners are.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Login to get fewer ads

CLL thread. on 11:15 - May 26 with 4230 viewsChaffRAFC

Been some very good pro's over the years but Asif Mujtaba sticks out for me. Absolute class. Dexter Fitton and Clinton Perren were superb as well. We also had Karl Brown at Milnrow for a season and he really was class at that level.

Don't keep up with it as much now but I'd say Norden for the title.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

CLL thread. on 11:20 - May 26 with 4229 viewsAtThePeake

CLL thread. on 09:33 - May 26 by SteTsGoldenBoot

There's certainly been some great pro's in the CLL :-

Carl Hooper, Big Bird,Geoff Lawson, Andy Roberts, Sir Garry, Gus Logie, Sherwin Campbell even the mean and moody Ezzzzzzzzzra.

Played for half a season with Curtly Ambrose, a fine bowler once he started to bowl at the stumps rather than try to knock everyones head off, he was quick!

Dont follow the CLL as much as i'd like, so no idea who the likely winners are.

I used to go to almost every Heywood CC match, until I was treated pretty poorly by the youth coaches there and started going to play for Norden. Unfortunately the trek up Queens Park Road and through Bamford with that massive bag proved too much for me in the end and I jacked it in, but still occasionally go down to The Crimble to watch the 2nds as a few of my mates play for them.

Asif Mujtaba at Norden was the best pro around at the time when I was into the CLL. He was great on the pitch and off it, used to come and bowl at all the kids in the nets after the game and what have ya. Stayed at Norden for a long while too, was a very popular figure. Top man.

Best pro at Heywood in my time watching them was Sherwin Campbell. He was a tremendous player. The season Heywood won both the League Cup and the league he was the catalyst - seemed like every match he'd rack up 70+ runs and take 3-4 wickets.

We also had Johan Botha for a while, and he was a class act too. I remember him scoring about 140 in a Wood Cup match at Norden for us to win by one wicket after it seemed we were doomed. He was great, apart from one match at Milnrow where he came in at 3, went for a duck, stormed off the pitch, into his car, out of the ground, and came back 10 minutes later and sat on the bench next to me eating a Big Mac meal!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Tangled up in blue.

CLL thread. on 12:39 - May 26 with 4211 viewsPotterDale

CLL thread. on 00:31 - May 26 by _dezzy

I still have nightmares about that match!
CLL thread. on 15:39 - May 26 with 4168 viewsdavidab2202

Again showing my age but surely need look no further then Sir Garfield Sobers not to mention the likes of Roy Gilchrist,Sonny Ramadin and Basil D'Oliveria
CLL thread. on 16:29 - May 26 with 4149 viewsTalkingSutty

CLL thread. on 15:39 - May 26 by davidab2202

Again showing my age but surely need look no further then Sir Garfield Sobers not to mention the likes of Roy Gilchrist,Sonny Ramadin and Basil D'Oliveria

Cec Pepper.
CLL thread. on 18:25 - May 26 with 4101 views49thseason

CLL thread. on 15:39 - May 26 by davidab2202

Gilchrist was said to be the fastest bowler in the world when he signed for Middleton and proved it by taking all 10 in his first match! http://www.middletoncc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid
I played against him a few times, memorably at Crompton at the end of his career. He needed me for 5 wickets and a collection (I batted 11) but with spots of rain starting to fall. I didn't see the first ball, the second hit me just between pad and thigh pad (I still have the burst blood vessels to prove it!), the third nearly took a finger off, the fourth whistled past my nose and I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and took a step back and waived my bat at the fifth which thankfully took off stump. A downpour led to an abandoned game and "Gilly" spent his collection of about £3.00 in the bar.
CLL thread. on 19:11 - May 26 with 4079 viewsRobbiebox

Mike Veletta in the mid 80s (i think) was a brilliant batsman, remember him getting a massive score away at Royton or Werneth or somewhere like that, and like dezzy says Dave Callaghan will always be fondly remembered for that final when he smashed Deaks all over the ground
CLL thread. on 20:19 - May 26 with 4059 viewsdilligas

Bizarre but I reckon Walsden could stand a chance, runs throughout the batters
CLL thread. on 21:06 - May 26 with 4042 viewsroccydaleian

CLL thread. on 20:19 - May 26 by dilligas

Bizarre but I reckon Walsden could stand a chance, runs throughout the batters

Littleborough beat Rochdale by six wickets today.
CLL thread. on 21:14 - May 26 with 4031 viewsroccydaleian

CLL thread. on 23:22 - May 25 by Rockerdale97

I wonder why?

Were you there, today Rockerdale97?
CLL thread. on 21:16 - May 26 with 4030 viewsTVOS1907

CLL thread. on 18:25 - May 26 by 49thseason

Gilchrist was said to be the fastest bowler in the world when he signed for Middleton and proved it by taking all 10 in his first match! http://www.middletoncc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid
I played against him a few times, memorably at Crompton at the end of his career. He needed me for 5 wickets and a collection (I batted 11) but with spots of rain starting to fall. I didn't see the first ball, the second hit me just between pad and thigh pad (I still have the burst blood vessels to prove it!), the third nearly took a finger off, the fourth whistled past my nose and I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and took a step back and waived my bat at the fifth which thankfully took off stump. A downpour led to an abandoned game and "Gilly" spent his collection of about £3.00 in the bar.

That's a great story.

Was reading the professionals' board at Crompton yesterday and noticed that Cec Wright was their professional for the first time in 1958 and for the last time in 1991!

No idea how old he was at the time, but it was impressive he was still able to play AND as a pro' at such an age.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

CLL thread. on 21:24 - May 26 with 4021 views442Dale

CLL thread. on 21:16 - May 26 by TVOS1907

That's a great story.

Was reading the professionals' board at Crompton yesterday and noticed that Cec Wright was their professional for the first time in 1958 and for the last time in 1991!

No idea how old he was at the time, but it was impressive he was still able to play AND as a pro' at such an age.

A Manchester Evening News report from 2007 (inc. sizeable picture) reveals he was 73 then.

Any maths teachers would deduce he would have been aged 57 in '91.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

CLL thread. on 21:38 - May 26 with 4012 viewsTVOS1907

CLL thread. on 21:24 - May 26 by 442Dale

A Manchester Evening News report from 2007 (inc. sizeable picture) reveals he was 73 then.

Any maths teachers would deduce he would have been aged 57 in '91.

Depends on the actual date of the picture and his d.o.b., tbf.

How big was the picture? Large, massive, GIGANTIC or Observer dimensions?

CLL thread. on 10:13 - May 27 with 3946 viewsTalkingSutty

CLL thread. on 18:25 - May 26 by 49thseason

I was chatting to my dad last week about the great players who have appeared in the CLL and he is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to all things cricket, he is nearly 80 yrs old and some of his stories are fantastic.

He was a regular at Dane Street when they used to attract crowds of about 7000 for a CLL match. His favourite player was Cec Pepper who was a drunken womanising Australian who lived in Castleton for a while.

He told me a story of Cec opening the batting and Rochdale needed 120 to win. When the last man walked to the crease Rochdale where 118 for 9 and Cec was something like 90 odd having batted through the innings. Anyway the last man was cleaned bowled facing his first ball and when Pepper walked up the pavilion steps he launched his bat straight through the pavilion window showering the crowd with shards of glass.

One spectator suggested Pepper should have won the game himself so Pepper punched his lights out on the pavilion steps. Another said he was "too old" and Pepper retorted " Hand over your wife", she was sitting next to him.

He was supposedly a brilliant batsman who because of a massive fall out with Don Bradman never played regularly for Australia. In Bradmans auotobiography the Don even states that Pepper was one of the best batsman he had ever seen.
CLL thread. on 10:30 - May 27 with 3939 viewsTVOS1907

CLL thread. on 10:13 - May 27 by TalkingSutty

I was chatting to my dad last week about the great players who have appeared in the CLL and he is a walking encyclopedia when it comes to all things cricket, he is nearly 80 yrs old and some of his stories are fantastic.

He was a regular at Dane Street when they used to attract crowds of about 7000 for a CLL match. His favourite player was Cec Pepper who was a drunken womanising Australian who lived in Castleton for a while.

He told me a story of Cec opening the batting and Rochdale needed 120 to win. When the last man walked to the crease Rochdale where 118 for 9 and Cec was something like 90 odd having batted through the innings. Anyway the last man was cleaned bowled facing his first ball and when Pepper walked up the pavilion steps he launched his bat straight through the pavilion window showering the crowd with shards of glass.

One spectator suggested Pepper should have won the game himself so Pepper punched his lights out on the pavilion steps. Another said he was "too old" and Pepper retorted " Hand over your wife", she was sitting next to him.

He was supposedly a brilliant batsman who because of a massive fall out with Don Bradman never played regularly for Australia. In Bradmans auotobiography the Don even states that Pepper was one of the best batsman he had ever seen.

Which was his best SEASON?

CLL thread. on 11:39 - May 27 with 3911 viewsPotterDale

CLL thread. on 10:30 - May 27 by TVOS1907

Which was his best SEASON?

Probably that one as he dodged being done for ASSAULT
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024