Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies 15:45 - Dec 9 with 7180 views18StoneOfHoop

Three Fingered Wizard:

Cracking film too,1984ish dystopian nightmare,IMHO Gilliam's best:

Been a bit down in the dumps recently so no posting but what about the Toon Army?
Love Cahill's hapless role in the first.

Invincible? My R's!
[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 12:18]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Le Hot Club De Paris on 16:00 - Dec 9 with 4717 viewsrongould

Django was the man.
My old mate Bill "Diz" Disley did a pretty good imitation
Le Hot Club De Paris on 17:03 - Dec 9 with 4658 viewsTheBlob

Le Hot Club De Paris on 16:00 - Dec 9 by rongould

Django was the man.
My old mate Bill "Diz" Disley did a pretty good imitation

Yes,saw Diz a few times backing Stephane Grappelli,very passable.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Le Hot Club De Paris on 17:23 - Dec 9 with 4630 viewspomanjou

Django is the man

Diz was not so rusty on a banjo also..........Saw him banjoing at Studio51 with Ken Colyer band long time back ..........

Jim Mullen a brilliant thumb only exponent.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Le Hot Club De Paris on 17:25 - Dec 9 with 4627 viewstoboboly

Thought you meant this lot:

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Le Hot Club De Paris on 17:32 - Dec 9 with 4620 views18StoneOfHoop

Le Hot Club De Paris on 17:03 - Dec 9 by TheBlob

Yes,saw Diz a few times backing Stephane Grappelli,very passable.

Ron and Blob (and any other over or under 60's with taste) I hope you've seen, or I thoroughly recommend you do so, an oft overlooked and under-rated Woody Allen gem 'Sweet and Lowdown', a comedic biopic about the second greatest jazz guitarist in the world - after Django - Emmet Ray.

Here's the whole bleeding fillum! In decent quality 'nd all:

The man.Some people - understandably - go ape for Cab,I just can't get me enough Django:

Uniquely, Django Reinhardt fits several simultaneous archetypes. He is the streetwise kid turned celebrity. He is the miraculous survivor of an accident who went on to overcome his handicap. He is the illiterate who used musical notes as a universal language. He is the whimsical musician who defied every setback. Django was already a legend in his own lifetime, and this film tells of the life and times of a genius to whom death came too early. Yet another, final archetype. But above all it allows us to discover the dazzling talent of one of the greatest jazz guitarists of the twentieth century.

The injury.
At age 18 in 1928 in Saint-Ouen, Seine-Saint-Denis, Reinhardt was injured in a fire which ravaged the caravan he shared with Florine "Bella" Mayer, his first wife. They were very poor, and to supplement their income, Bella made imitation flowers out of celluloid and paper. Returning from a performance late one night, Reinhardt apparently knocked over a candle on his way to bed, igniting these highly flammable materials. While his family and neighbours were quick to pull him to safety, he received first- and second-degree burns over half his body. His right leg was paralysed, and the fourth and fifth fingers of his left hand were badly burned. Doctors believed that he would never play guitar again and intended to amputate one of his legs. Reinhardt refused to have the surgery and left the hospital after a short time; he was able to walk within a year with the aid of a cane.

His brother Joseph Reinhardt, also an accomplished guitarist, bought Django a new guitar. With rehabilitation and practice, he relearned his craft in a completely new way, even as his fourth and fifth fingers remained partially paralysed. He played all his guitar solos with only two fingers, and used the two injured digits only for chord work.

Django died aged 43 in 1953 from a brain haemorrhage.

In 1973 his old mucker,the long-lived Stéphane Grappelli formed a successful Quintette-style band with British guitarists Diz Disley (Ron's mate) and Denny Wright.

[Post edited 9 Dec 2014 19:18]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Le Hot Club De Paris on 18:34 - Dec 9 with 4569 viewsted_hendrix

Nice post 18,
A few years ago whilst in NYC with one of my lads we queued up out side the Jazz club (Iridium on 51st and Broadway) to get tickets that night to see the legend that is Les Paul play that evening where he had a regular Monday night spot.
The guy in Sam Ashes guitar shop said whatever you do don't miss seeing this guy play live, in addition famous guitarists who were in town would visit the Jazz Club on Monday nights and ask politely to sit in with him.
The queue was pretty big but we were told that as long as we stayed in line we would get tickets, unfortunately as we were flying to New Orleans early on the Tuesday morning I decided like a pillock to give it a miss and we never got to be in the same room as Les Paul whilst he was playing live, unfortunately Les Paul passed away a few years later.
New Orleans was an absolute blast though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Le Hot Club De Paris on 21:37 - Dec 9 with 4420 viewskarl

Being a luddite in musical matters this is about my limit;

Hope you're feeling better 18 Stone - I miss your ramblings( no offence!) very enlightening that they are
Cheers mate!
[Post edited 9 Dec 2014 21:57]
Le Hot Club De Paris on 11:02 - Dec 10 with 4312 views18StoneOfHoop

Come on all you old hepcats..dust off your zoot suits and let's party.

LFW old git punters stick on any pre 1970 tunes here.

Fook the suffocating tedious dominating hegemony of the Frankie Knuckles Clique thread...Let's Go!

I'll start you off with the incomparable joyous Louis Prima!
(BTW Did any of you know that the mare on the left with the big wally jumblatts is his real-life wife?)

Louis was the voice of Baloo too,you know. Always thought it was an Afro-American when I was young.

More Jungle Book,vicar? Don't mind if I do..

[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 11:26]

Login to get fewer ads

Le Hot Club De Paris on 12:53 - Dec 10 with 4265 viewspeejaybee

Le Hot Club De Paris on 18:34 - Dec 9 by ted_hendrix

Nice post 18,
A few years ago whilst in NYC with one of my lads we queued up out side the Jazz club (Iridium on 51st and Broadway) to get tickets that night to see the legend that is Les Paul play that evening where he had a regular Monday night spot.
The guy in Sam Ashes guitar shop said whatever you do don't miss seeing this guy play live, in addition famous guitarists who were in town would visit the Jazz Club on Monday nights and ask politely to sit in with him.
The queue was pretty big but we were told that as long as we stayed in line we would get tickets, unfortunately as we were flying to New Orleans early on the Tuesday morning I decided like a pillock to give it a miss and we never got to be in the same room as Les Paul whilst he was playing live, unfortunately Les Paul passed away a few years later.
New Orleans was an absolute blast though,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 13:10 - Dec 10 with 4240 viewsTacticalR

The original Yé-yé girl http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yé-yé

Air hostess clique

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 13:55 - Dec 10 with 4211 viewsTheBlob

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:06 - Dec 10 with 4195 viewsTheBlob

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:12 - Dec 10 with 4184 viewsDeptfordR

Chicago, scrapes in as 1970 I think. Up until about 15 years ago all I knew about Peter Cetera was 'if you leave me now' which I hated so never wanted to hear any more until my mate played me this...

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:16 - Dec 10 with 4176 views18StoneOfHoop

FFS what's the matter with you Blob? Had a lobotomy or sumting?
I've only gone and enjoyed seven out of your last 8 selections.

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:16 - Dec 10 with 4176 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:18 - Dec 10 with 4168 viewsDeptfordR

One of the greatest voices of all time in my opinion, not bad for a skinny 18/19 year old white boy.

[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 14:21]
Le Hot Club De Paris on 14:25 - Dec 10 with 4158 viewslondonscottish

Le Hot Club De Paris on 17:23 - Dec 9 by pomanjou

Django is the man

Diz was not so rusty on a banjo also..........Saw him banjoing at Studio51 with Ken Colyer band long time back ..........

Jim Mullen a brilliant thumb only exponent.

What a fantastic 10 minutes. Off to listen to some more.......

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:33 - Dec 10 with 4148 viewsTheBlob

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:16 - Dec 10 by 18StoneOfHoop

FFS what's the matter with you Blob? Had a lobotomy or sumting?
I've only gone and enjoyed seven out of your last 8 selections.

i wuz brought up on de blooz and jazz mate.Loadsa good stuff pre '70,although the original poster sees fit to include a number from 1976!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chris Youlden had a great voice.....

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:41 - Dec 10 with 4140 viewspomanjou

Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger 45rpm "Road to Cairo" - stunning singing, great layered B3 work particularly at the end.

JD/BA again with

"Let the sun shine in"

and

"take me to the water"

all 1968 ish

Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 14:51 - Dec 10 with 4124 viewsTheBlob

Beat me to it with Brian Auger.
Recorded before 1970...

Dynamite live they were...

[Post edited 10 Dec 2014 14:59]

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 15:24 - Dec 10 with 4096 viewspomanjou

Humph, "Bad Penny Blues". Not the original which got into the pop charts but good nonetheless.

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 15:45 - Dec 10 with 4078 viewsMetallica_Hoop

This is pretty cool.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 19:36 - Dec 10 with 3999 viewsRamseyR

A great video to watch as well
For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 21:13 - Dec 10 with 3966 viewsTacticalR

Air hostess clique

For the old gits: Pre 1970 Banging Choons and Melodies on 12:37 - Dec 11 with 3845 viewsLancashirehoop

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean we're not all against you.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024