Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atlanta - Holiday Info 10:01 - Aug 5 with 1304 viewstoboboly

Anyone got any suggestions for things to do, places to eat/drink in Atlanta?

My current itinerary involves seeing the Braves take on the Mets and the Falcons opening game v the Buccaneers. Intend on taking in the Gladys Knight restaurant as well as the aquarium and civil rights museum.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 12:34 - Aug 5 with 1267 viewsDaiHo0p

It's just a big airport with nothing else. That's what I was told when travelling through the southern states in June.
Atlanta - Holiday Info on 16:33 - Aug 5 with 1237 viewsenfieldargh

THe Cheetah Lounge

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 16:49 - Aug 5 with 1225 viewsthame_hoops

Buckhead is a cool area just north of the city, very friendly people and warm. Enjoy!
Atlanta - Holiday Info on 17:40 - Aug 5 with 1191 viewsMatch82

If you're looking to kill time, you can check out "world of coke". Would second buckhead too, that area is nice.
Atlanta - Holiday Info on 17:40 - Aug 5 with 1191 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Lived out there for a bit, albeit 10 years back.

If you're going to go to 'lanna and to the NCR museum, then I guess you really ought to get along to Martin Luther King memorial park area in Auburn part of town (be careful, can be a bit moody close to this area) This is where MLK was born and did his preachin' and if you're really lucky, you'll have the place to yourself as they play MLK's speaches - quite something.

There is some big amusement park type thing, called Ten Flags over Georgia or some such, not my thang. Coke and CNN are also based in 'lanna. And don't forget the Jimmy Carter Center...everyone else does, but it is interesting or so I hear!

Downtown 'lanna doesn't have a lot really, Buckhead as has been mentioned is lively, Virginia Highlands was good, some cool bars (NB: neither high nor in Virginia). Cabbagetown was beginning to take off and Little Five Points also had some good bars.

Braves, should be able to get tickets easily, especially as I don't think they are in the shake up. Falcons, personally I'd rather watch paint dry so good luck.

Foodwise, lot of crap eating and a lot of good eating to be had. GK's will be heavy but try go to the many BBQ shacks. Don't be put off by some looking like crack dens, there's good quein' going on. (Daddy Dz was my preferred crack den, I mean BBQ joint).

If you want Southern style cookin' like yo mamma used to make it, try Mary Mac's on Ponce de Leon. I also used to have breaky at the Flying Biscuit in Midtown, fills you up and you, as a right of passage, got to try grits!

All in all, 'lanna comes in for bad press but its a good place. Not sure its a holiday destination, but worth stopping for a few days at least. Only thing is, not much outside of 'lanna and there sure as s..t ain't nothing sensible in Ala-bloody-bama!!

Y'all enjoy yourselves now!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 18:35 - Aug 5 with 1165 viewsBoston

The Gladys Knight eatery is easily accessible by rail, couple of stops on the midnight train to Georgia.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 18:55 - Aug 5 with 1148 viewsBoston

Atlanta....has experienced a rapid transformation in the last 10/20 years. Many of its 'Hoods' have been repopulated by caring, sharing, tattooed arty types, who's desire for inner city living embraces everything, 'cept those born there. But, it has opened up the place with many of its old areas returning to semi gentrification, not seen since the Union army burnt it to the ground.
East Area Village, much gunfire ten years ago, now full of clubs and bars. Another interesting place, especially if you're of Irish heritage(!),is Cabbagetown, from ghetto to hippy to ghetto to hipster. There's an unusual boardwalk path running around half(maybe more) of the inner city called the Belt Skyline Trail (I think), it's a nice bike ride, though a bloke told me it still ran through one or two iffy parts in some stretches. Also got a laugh out of the name of a market, the Ponce Market! Apart from that it's a big airport with the largest Coke machine in the world.
[Post edited 5 Aug 2016 18:56]

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 00:32 - Aug 6 with 1102 viewstoboboly

Cheers guys, doing Atlanta to cross off the baseball and NFL. Gonna do every team in both eventually! Being a Mets fan I hope we destroy Atlanta especially as they are crap this season.

Only there five days so a few cultural sights, not coke world, and a few bars and bbq joints should be good.

Anyone know of any decent music venues/soul venues? In Chicago saw some great blues and wondered if there was anywhere decent?

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 08:22 - Aug 6 with 1073 viewsthame_hoops

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 00:32 - Aug 6 by toboboly

Cheers guys, doing Atlanta to cross off the baseball and NFL. Gonna do every team in both eventually! Being a Mets fan I hope we destroy Atlanta especially as they are crap this season.

Only there five days so a few cultural sights, not coke world, and a few bars and bbq joints should be good.

Anyone know of any decent music venues/soul venues? In Chicago saw some great blues and wondered if there was anywhere decent?

Exactly, doesn't matter if the teams suck but as a Brit getting the chance to see a NFl or mlb name is awesome enough, I think it's the Falcons last year in their stadium before they move to a new home. Beer is definitely cheaper the further south you go and I recall prices being really good there
Atlanta - Holiday Info on 20:17 - Aug 6 with 1012 viewsBoston

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 08:22 - Aug 6 by thame_hoops

Exactly, doesn't matter if the teams suck but as a Brit getting the chance to see a NFl or mlb name is awesome enough, I think it's the Falcons last year in their stadium before they move to a new home. Beer is definitely cheaper the further south you go and I recall prices being really good there

Much of the northern US still has a puritan hang up about alcohol. Y'ep, hard to believe if you've not lived here.

Atlanta - Holiday Info on 21:39 - Aug 6 with 979 viewsRoller

I was out there years ago on business and will tell you about my experience of being the only white man in a soul club one day when I'm drunk enough. However I did go to Oak Ridge in near by Tennessee where the Amricans first managed to split the atom, the birthplace of the atomic bomb. There was a very informative museum there, well worth a visit, but little else in the town in those days unless you were trying to sell air freight to local industries.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024