Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread 13:39 - Apr 9 with 2487 viewsSuperhoops2808

With the football season coming to a close in a months time, some here will turn their attention to the smell of freshly mown grass and long days sat in the hot sunny weather watching the great game of cricket.

As a member of Kent Cricket Club, I got to enjoy my first match of the season against Somerset at Canterbury over the last few days. Unfortunately, as is always the way starting the season this early, the first day was lost to rain. In fact nearly all the games were affected by rain, some without a ball even being bowled.

But I did manage to get to see 2 centurions at Canterbury yesterday and a very enjoyable day of cricket (even if I did get sun burned head - Yes I know should have taken a cap).

Did anyone else get to see cricket over the last few days? I know we have several Middlesex supporters who no doubt enjoyed the 'runfest' at Lords (over 1300 runs I believe)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:00 - Apr 9 with 1611 viewsGaryBannister86

As a fellow Kent man residing in sunny Beckenham, am looking forward to wandering down to the County Ground later in the season to see the boys. May even take in a 2nd XI game if the weather is nice.

High hopes for Parkinson this season, as always am worried about the rest of the bowling, and hoping Muyeye can kick on. He appears to be a media darling already, so won't need much to get an England bandwagon going there. Needs some consistency though.

I think I prefer young Evison as my one to watch. How about you?
[Post edited 9 Apr 14:00]
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:29 - Apr 9 with 1548 viewsTheChef

First impressions of the season - the Kookaburra ball is shit.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:31 - Apr 9 with 1538 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:29 - Apr 9 by TheChef

That's true - but maybe, just maybe, it will mean that English seamers actually have to develop some skills rather than line and length and hope for a green top.

It will be boring in the meantime though....but I think in the long run the right thing to do?
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:32 - Apr 9 with 1531 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:31 - Apr 9 by GaryBannister86

That's true - but maybe, just maybe, it will mean that English seamers actually have to develop some skills rather than line and length and hope for a green top.

It will be boring in the meantime though....but I think in the long run the right thing to do?

What's the rationale for using them? Must admit I missed that.

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:33 - Apr 9 with 1526 viewsSuperhoops2808

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:00 - Apr 9 by GaryBannister86

As a fellow Kent man residing in sunny Beckenham, am looking forward to wandering down to the County Ground later in the season to see the boys. May even take in a 2nd XI game if the weather is nice.

High hopes for Parkinson this season, as always am worried about the rest of the bowling, and hoping Muyeye can kick on. He appears to be a media darling already, so won't need much to get an England bandwagon going there. Needs some consistency though.

I think I prefer young Evison as my one to watch. How about you?
[Post edited 9 Apr 14:00]

I have no concerns on the batting front and that was proven yesterday. Last season Denly could not buy a run at the start but already this season he has hit the ground running.

Muyeye is being fast-tracked by Rob Key so yes, not long before we see him in the England set up - Although I am still undecided whether or not he is an opener in red ball but definitely white ball he is superb.

My concern is taking 20 wickets in a match. With Cohen out for the season, losing Bartlett and struggling to get an overseas player (yes I know we have the South African) but we need a replacement for Cohen.

In my opinion, Wes Agar is different gravy - He is a class act and seems to love his adopted county so look forward to him kicking on. Chatted to Parky yesterday briefly and he also seems positive to be here. One thing is for sure, he wont be coming in at number 10 next match as he can clearly hold a bat.

Evison and Finch both look tidy too but think Evison bats too low. Finch is my one to watch.

Watch this space re the County ground. There is talk that we will have our own 100 franchise and the ECB will be investing in Beckenham to make it a 15k capacity. If we don't go down the 100 route, the future of Kent CCC is not looking good.

Perhaps if you make one of the Metro bank fixtures at Beckenham I will meet you for a beer
[Post edited 9 Apr 14:39]
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:35 - Apr 9 with 1514 viewsSuperhoops2808

That was the consensus at the weekend. It went soft very quickly but that may have been the conditions. And the colour of it just doesnt sit well when watching it either
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:36 - Apr 9 with 1510 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:32 - Apr 9 by TheChef

What's the rationale for using them? Must admit I missed that.

I may be wrong, but I thought it was to force our bowlers to develop more skills on flat decks - ie when we go to Oz, etc.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:39 - Apr 9 with 1483 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:33 - Apr 9 by Superhoops2808

I have no concerns on the batting front and that was proven yesterday. Last season Denly could not buy a run at the start but already this season he has hit the ground running.

Muyeye is being fast-tracked by Rob Key so yes, not long before we see him in the England set up - Although I am still undecided whether or not he is an opener in red ball but definitely white ball he is superb.

My concern is taking 20 wickets in a match. With Cohen out for the season, losing Bartlett and struggling to get an overseas player (yes I know we have the South African) but we need a replacement for Cohen.

In my opinion, Wes Agar is different gravy - He is a class act and seems to love his adopted county so look forward to him kicking on. Chatted to Parky yesterday briefly and he also seems positive to be here. One thing is for sure, he wont be coming in at number 10 next match as he can clearly hold a bat.

Evison and Finch both look tidy too but think Evison bats too low. Finch is my one to watch.

Watch this space re the County ground. There is talk that we will have our own 100 franchise and the ECB will be investing in Beckenham to make it a 15k capacity. If we don't go down the 100 route, the future of Kent CCC is not looking good.

Perhaps if you make one of the Metro bank fixtures at Beckenham I will meet you for a beer
[Post edited 9 Apr 14:39]

very interesting on Beckenham and nice to hear about Agar and Finch. Never getting to Canterbury I struggle to get the info like that.

Defo up for a beer if / when we get to the CG at the same time.
Login to get fewer ads

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:40 - Apr 9 with 1473 viewsTheChef

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:36 - Apr 9 by GaryBannister86

I may be wrong, but I thought it was to force our bowlers to develop more skills on flat decks - ie when we go to Oz, etc.

Hmmm OK...

Although April conditions are somewhat different to mid-summer Australia!

Of course there were those crazy times when we played red ball cricket through the summer. Imagine that now!

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:44 - Apr 9 with 1441 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 14:40 - Apr 9 by TheChef

Hmmm OK...

Although April conditions are somewhat different to mid-summer Australia!

Of course there were those crazy times when we played red ball cricket through the summer. Imagine that now!

Now you're just talking crazy :-)
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 16:13 - Apr 9 with 1346 viewsplasmahoop

One of the main problems with the championship now is the points system. The ball might be an issue, I was surprised there were so many runs scored this week, but there are too many draw points which promotes negative play. What is the point of glamorgan racking up 620, such a dull game, but as they get maximum batting points and draw points they don't care.I don't see how it develops test players either as flogging a bowling attack that's lost the will is not representative of test cricket.

Three day championship again, no draw points, fits in much better with the bazball way. Then they could have some championship cricket actually in the summer again. Might be a bit more of a spectacle again.

Interesting to hear what you guys were saying about Beckenham. Would be much better for kent, they have become Canterbury cc over the years.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 23:07 - Apr 9 with 1225 viewseastside_r

Well, at least one of my teams is top of the table.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 23:22 - Apr 9 with 1202 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Sam Cook did okay with it. 😉
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 23:36 - Apr 9 with 1172 viewsthame_hoops

I know a few of us are Middlesex members. I spent a couple of days watching a run fest. I did see a guy in a QPR beanie hat on either Friday or Saturday, and an old fella in a QPR jacket on Monday in the Middlesex room. I wondered if it was any of you lot?
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:22 - Apr 15 with 983 viewsthame_hoops

This Surrey/Somerset game is looking interesting
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:32 - Apr 15 with 971 viewsstowmarketrange

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:22 - Apr 15 by thame_hoops

This Surrey/Somerset game is looking interesting

More like a 20/20 game than a 4 day game.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 18:08 - Apr 15 with 948 viewsthame_hoops

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:32 - Apr 15 by stowmarketrange

Yes, but not in a farcical way. Just how this games developed.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:06 - Apr 15 with 838 viewsflynnbo

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 17:32 - Apr 15 by stowmarketrange

Was there for the first day. Left when Somerset were 172-1!!Was great to be back though.
[Post edited 15 Apr 22:07]
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:08 - Apr 15 with 831 viewsderbyhoop

It's farcical. First 2 rounds have produced huge scores and 1 result. It's supposed to be an even contest between bat and ball. It isn't ATM.
2 Middlesex games have seen:
Northeast 335 not out; Ingram 132 no in a total of 620-3.
Middx response 655 incl 221 from Ryan Higgins.
Northants- Gay 261 and Sales 113 no
Middx response 553-2 with Fernandes 113; Holden 211 no and Du Plooy 196 no

That's not entertainment but a glorified procession.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:09 - Apr 15 with 823 viewsflynnbo

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:08 - Apr 15 by derbyhoop

It's farcical. First 2 rounds have produced huge scores and 1 result. It's supposed to be an even contest between bat and ball. It isn't ATM.

The Dukes ball returns Friday, I believe.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 02:16 - Apr 16 with 764 viewsSuperhoops2808

Happy to draw away to Essex but the rain helped a lot. Some mad batting today by the Kent boys who seemed to think it was a good idea to lose as many wickets as possible with the least amount of runs

Thankfully mother nature intervened. Was pleased that a few of the boys got a hundred in the first innings but it will be nice to get a proper 'nut' to see them bowl with!!
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:58 - Apr 16 with 710 viewsdenhamhoop2

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 22:08 - Apr 15 by derbyhoop

Think Middlesex have more centuries this season than last already
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:59 - Apr 16 with 709 viewsGaryBannister86

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 02:16 - Apr 16 by Superhoops2808

Happy to draw away to Essex but the rain helped a lot. Some mad batting today by the Kent boys who seemed to think it was a good idea to lose as many wickets as possible with the least amount of runs

Thankfully mother nature intervened. Was pleased that a few of the boys got a hundred in the first innings but it will be nice to get a proper 'nut' to see them bowl with!!

Some knock on debut from young Denly there - isn't he only 18? I know conditions are benign but facing up to Harmer in those circumstances......I can feel myself getting carried away.
Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 10:17 - Apr 16 with 667 viewsR_from_afar

If you like the IPL or T20 cricket in general, you might want to head over to the official IPL website later, to catch the highlights of Sunrisers against Royal Challengers.

If I tell you that there have been over 13,000 T20 games in history and that this game featured the most runs of any of those games, you'll get the picture.

As some witty commentator once quipped: "The spectators are fielding and the fielders are spectating".

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 11:30 - Apr 16 with 607 viewsderbyhoop

Cricket 2024 County/International Thread on 08:58 - Apr 16 by denhamhoop2

Think Middlesex have more centuries this season than last already

Not sure about that but it must be close. I thought Sam Robson got a few tons at the back end

Don't know if the Kookaburra gets the blame but, for the last few years, Middx have had a decent bowling attack and no batters. This year looks the reverse.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024