Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LP records 20:38 - Aug 29 with 6837 viewsGloryHunter

I know there are some knowledgeable music enthusiasts on here. And I have heard that vinyl LP records have now become popular again. Well, I've got a loft-full of the things. Can anyone suggest a website that would help me find out if any of them are worth selling?
LP records on 20:42 - Aug 29 with 5884 viewsDavieQPR

Try reading Discogs website for tips.
LP records on 20:44 - Aug 29 with 5878 viewsDees

Check out https://www.discogs.com

Type in the artist, title or catalogue number and it will show you how many are up for sale and for what prices, also has last time it sold and for how much (if sold via the site).
LP records on 20:48 - Aug 29 with 5859 viewsCroydonCaptJack

What sort of music is it mate?
LP records on 20:48 - Aug 29 with 5858 viewsNoDiddley

No web site will help its all down to condition.
I recently acquired a collection of 1970s stuff Including Bowie which on eBay went for silly prices because they were virtually unplayed.
There's some right moaners on that site who complain at he slightest miss gradings
Good luck but don't flog them 'cheap' to a shop
Ps
What era are you talking about
LP records on 20:54 - Aug 29 with 5831 viewscolinallcars

Indeed, condition is all important and that inludes the sleeves. First pressings are worth more than later pressings,

Some shops will sell them for you on a commission basis but that commission is likely to be 30-50 per cent.
LP records on 20:55 - Aug 29 with 5831 viewsGloryHunter

Thanks for all your quick responses and advice. It's a big mix - mostly 60s & 70s rock, including Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, Zappa, Hendrix. But also some Jazz and Country. None of them are in mint condition - they're all records that I bought and played as the soundtrack to my youth.
LP records on 21:12 - Aug 29 with 5776 viewscolinallcars

LP records on 20:55 - Aug 29 by GloryHunter

Thanks for all your quick responses and advice. It's a big mix - mostly 60s & 70s rock, including Beatles, Stones, Who, Led Zep, Zappa, Hendrix. But also some Jazz and Country. None of them are in mint condition - they're all records that I bought and played as the soundtrack to my youth.

Sounds a lot like my collection ! As others have said selling them on ebay can resut in customers moaning that you have misgraded them. Packing is also a bind when selling by post. There are shops that will buy them en masse but probably won't pay a great deal. Are you in London ? I believe there are quite a few shops to choose from.
LP records on 21:21 - Aug 29 with 5763 viewsGloryHunter

LP records on 21:12 - Aug 29 by colinallcars

Sounds a lot like my collection ! As others have said selling them on ebay can resut in customers moaning that you have misgraded them. Packing is also a bind when selling by post. There are shops that will buy them en masse but probably won't pay a great deal. Are you in London ? I believe there are quite a few shops to choose from.

Yes, I'm in London. But can you trust a shop to give you a fair valuation? A few years ago I sold my Mum & Dad's house and effects, and later found out that their awful 1970s furniture had amazingly come back into fashion - I had kissed goodbye to a couple of grand through ignorance of the market.
Login to get fewer ads

LP records on 21:26 - Aug 29 with 5744 viewscolinallcars

There's a monthly mag called Record Collector which will have loads of details of various shops price guides etc.
LP records on 23:43 - Aug 29 with 5593 viewsPunteR

Depends if you want the hassle of selling individual records but as others have already said Discogs is the place. Ebay would prob be best if you want to sell in bulk, although sellers on Discogs will be interested.
If the record is in decent nick and worth money (and a good tune of course !)my advise is to keep it and play it. Sounds like you've got a lot of memories attached to those vinyls and thats priceless imo. Its what sets them apart from downloads and streaming.
[Post edited 30 Aug 2018 9:42]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

LP records on 23:45 - Aug 29 with 5594 viewsitsbiga

LP records on 20:55 - Aug 29 by GloryHunter

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

LP records on 07:11 - Aug 30 with 5486 viewsCroydonCaptJack

It's a shame Beanos record store in Croydon closed a number of years back. This would have been right up their street. It was the largest second hand record store in Europe.
LP records on 08:50 - Aug 30 with 5391 viewscolinallcars

LP records on 07:11 - Aug 30 by CroydonCaptJack

It's a shame Beanos record store in Croydon closed a number of years back. This would have been right up their street. It was the largest second hand record store in Europe.

I used to go to a shop not a million miles from there called Record Corner, in Balham.

Nearer to me, there is a shop in South Ealing called Sounds Original and a new shop in Church Rd Barnes which was due to open last month but I believe may have been delayed.
LP records on 09:37 - Aug 30 with 5355 viewshubble

These guys: https://www.ratrecordsuk.net/ gave an okay-ish valuation for my collection - I didn't sell to them in the end, but this route - given the condition of your records, might be your best option.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

LP records on 09:50 - Aug 30 with 5330 viewsheadhoops

I think our own Discodroids used to run a record stall? Most of the shops will buy on bulk but at lower prices (as you would expect) than selling on ebay.
I sold my copy of God save the queen on A&M records for £500 back in the early 90's to pay for my season ticket. Worth around £7,000 now so worth checking if you have any rarities, especially Stones, beatles etc.
good luck.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

LP records on 11:48 - Aug 30 with 5256 viewsSilverfoxqpr

My advice for what it's worth is to get yourself down Richer Sounds, pick yourself up a turntable, keep ALL your vinyl and play them! Had family over on Saturday night and we were up until the early hours spinning records, pretty much everyone I know has regretted getting rid of their vinyl.
LP records on 11:54 - Aug 30 with 5242 viewscolinallcars

LP records on 11:48 - Aug 30 by Silverfoxqpr

My advice for what it's worth is to get yourself down Richer Sounds, pick yourself up a turntable, keep ALL your vinyl and play them! Had family over on Saturday night and we were up until the early hours spinning records, pretty much everyone I know has regretted getting rid of their vinyl.

I'm with you there ! I always stuck with vinyl preferring the more expansive sound provided you have a really good turntable. Early CDs were awful but have improved markedly. Again a highend player is necessary to get the best out of them.
LP records on 13:56 - Aug 30 with 5156 viewsJuzzie

Unless you are likely to get good money for them (if in “well used” condition they probably wont fetch much, record collectors are as fickle than football fans!) then i agree with others, puck up a reasonable deck and revisit your youth.
LP records on 21:53 - Aug 30 with 5045 viewsGloryHunter

Many thanks to everyone for your generous and helpful advice. What a great bunch QPR fans are! I now realise two things - first is that I'll have to catalogue all the records, and second is that I should listen to them while I'm doing it! (I do have a turntable, which is also up in the loft, and will need the cobwebs and bird poo washing off it). As a few of you have suggested, I will probably fall back in love with the music and not want to sell it - although I'll probably make an exception for the Donovan albums . . .
LP records on 23:47 - Aug 30 with 5003 viewsNortholt_Rs

LP records on 11:54 - Aug 30 by colinallcars

I'm with you there ! I always stuck with vinyl preferring the more expansive sound provided you have a really good turntable. Early CDs were awful but have improved markedly. Again a highend player is necessary to get the best out of them.

Any suggestions re turntable?

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

LP records on 08:50 - Aug 31 with 4916 viewsJuzzie

LP records on 23:47 - Aug 30 by Northolt_Rs

Any suggestions re turntable?

Rega Planar’s are quite popular with people at work (I work for a record company) but they are expensive.

https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-turntables
LP records on 08:58 - Aug 31 with 4909 viewsMick_S

LP records on 11:48 - Aug 30 by Silverfoxqpr

100%.

It's a fantastic night in.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

LP records on 09:01 - Aug 31 with 4904 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Lowest £7:95 highest £40! . I'm not going to sell it though. It's mint condition with Tower Records protective wrap. I think someone on here helped design/produce this. Which one of you was it?

https://www.discogs.com/Soundgarden-The-Day-I-Tried-To-Live/release/1614566
[Post edited 31 Aug 2018 9:02]

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

LP records on 09:04 - Aug 31 with 4891 viewsMick_S

LP records on 09:01 - Aug 31 by Metallica_Hoop

Lowest £7:95 highest £40! . I'm not going to sell it though. It's mint condition with Tower Records protective wrap. I think someone on here helped design/produce this. Which one of you was it?

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

LP records on 09:13 - Aug 31 with 4879 viewsJuzzie

LP records on 09:01 - Aug 31 by Metallica_Hoop

Meeeeeee!

All the artwork was US based but we made this here for UK release.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024