Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Kids' football 10:58 - Feb 13 with 3277 viewsPetros

I'd love to know what other people's experience is of kids' football. I have an 11-year-old, to whom I have taught the basics of good football: pass and move, read the game, importance of possession etc etc. Most of the kids he plays with hurtle around, smashing into each other, whacking the ball forward without purpose. They are consistently picked ahead of him, presumably for their aggression (they are not more skilful). I haven't brought it up with the coach yet, because I don't want to be one of those dads. But my boy is getting pretty disillusioned and demoralised with it all. Any advice??
Kids' football on 11:06 - Feb 13 with 3261 viewsCroydonCaptJack

My youngest Adam, went off to Uni in September and for the previous 11 years I was up watching him play every Sunday. A great weekend was if QPR and Chipstead both won (there weren't many great weekends but that was mainly down to QPR!)

From what I saw in recent years the trend had started reversing slighty away from the tall strong lads towards more fast, skillful players so I am surprised to hear your experience. Perhaps consider another club in the Summer?
Kids' football on 11:10 - Feb 13 with 3247 viewsMick_S

I'd have a constructive and polite word with the manager to find his/her reason(s) for not playing your boy. If it doesn't appear to be going your way, find him a local and well respected club because you are both wasting your time, and more importantly, your son needs to enjoy his football.

Err - more or less what Pete said.
[Post edited 13 Feb 2019 11:11]

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Kids' football on 12:11 - Feb 13 with 3177 viewsbellomatic

I wonder if it is worth trying a different club?

If you are in Shpeherds Bush / Acton area, we've had tremendous experiences at Shooting Starz. - https://www.shootingstarz.co.uk/

They've got a great bunch of coaches and my feeling is they tend towards the more skilful, less aggression-based version of the game.

Also, they've got two 3G astros (or is it 4G, I never remember). This is a great surface to learn on, as it slightly soft but also you get a good bounce. It's less skiddy than normal astro and less agricultural than grass. And they are big pitches, so the kids aren't boxed in like they can sometimes be on a 5-a-side pitch.
Kids' football on 12:19 - Feb 13 with 3162 viewsngbqpr

My day job revolves round kids grass roots football.

My first question would be, is he still getting a decent amount of pitch time, albeit often from the bench - or is it more like a token 10 minutes here & there.

If it's the former, in my experience a friendly chat with the coach would still be worthwhile, and I'd be happy to advise on how to approach it (hope that doesn't sound patronising - it's something I've been involved in for 20 years so I know how most coaches tick); if it's the latter, I'd be beginning to look round for new clubs for next season (probably can't advise on your local area but can advise on what sort of questions to ask)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Kids' football on 12:42 - Feb 13 with 3112 viewsted_hendrix

My lad was often named as a sub and would get on eventually, the problem for me though was my lad was no better or worse than the lad'/lads that he'd be replacing towards the end of a game, I never mentioned to anybody especially the kids, we just got on with it.
There are some well run clubs down here in West Berkshire, couple of lads from different villages were poached by professional clubs, one of them lads who was noticeably bloody superb signed for Coventry.
It's massively rewarding watching your kid playing in a team you've already got some good advice so I hope everything works out for your lad.

Missus 'went into one' one Sunday afternoon when I brought home a massive kit bag full of dirty stinky kids football kit, periodically as a parent you had to wash and iron all of the teams kit after a game.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Kids' football on 12:51 - Feb 13 with 3088 viewssimmo

Firstly, it's pretty odd that kids playing at that age group don't all get minutes / an opportunity to play. My boy is the same age and I guess they're lucky as they have age groups and A / B teams within that but all players that train get to play on match days and there's constant rotation, even of positions.

It sounds like the team/club he's with isn't very inclusive or you have one of those coaches that are too focused on results to help progression. Definitely start with a conversation if you feel your boy isn't being given enough of a chance, and if that doesn't work, see if there's altenative teams you can join, either in the club he's playing or somewhere else altogether. There's always options!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Kids' football on 13:13 - Feb 13 with 3059 viewsTelford_QPR

I coach my lads U-9 team, been together as a team since we U-7. When starting out, I was given advice by a mate who had coached his lads team for a few years - decide what your teams ethos will be and communicate to the parents, so they know. I decided from the outset it would be to take the set of players and develop them by providing equal game time, regardless of ability. As my players were mixed ability, this meant we do lose games we potentially could win by playing stronger players for longer but as parents bought into this approach, generally it is accepted and we have 8 of original 9 from the start still playing.

Other coaches in our group adopt different approach. They try and get the best players and it is noticeable the 'better' teams have a far greater turnaround of players.

My advice would therefore be to chat to the coach and ask him what his ethos / approach is and decide if that's what you want. Depending on the parents of the other children, he could be under pressure from them as well.

At this age group, whether u9 or u11, the most important thing is they enjoy it and to enjoy it, they need to be playing.
Kids' football on 13:46 - Feb 13 with 3015 viewsstevec

What everyone else has already said really.

If your son isn't tied to this team via his mates maybe check out the opposition he plays. When my son was playing, more often than not you could take one look at the oppo and suss the manager there and then. When he was about 12 they came up against one South London team in a Cup game and I swear 8 of them were as big as me. Half us dads wanted to see their registrations. Their manager was win at all costs, not a pleasant Sunday morning.

If a team is putting out a mixture of players including those who are clearly not, shall we say, as physically developed it probably represents a manager who isn't overtly obsessed with winning every game.

Strangely enough, my sons best mate was a small but excellent footballer, but at 10 and 11 years old hardly ever got to complete a match, taken off in favour of far less gifted players. It was a bone of contention amongst a lot of the dads, not just his own dad.
When he got to 12, and I'm not sure if it's still the same these days, they immediately transmitted to full size pitches. At that point, with more time and space, he was a regular in weekends and his school team.
Login to get fewer ads

Kids' football on 16:50 - Feb 13 with 2933 viewsnix

Interesting that you've found that. We've often found that they prioritise the boy that can dribble and do the flashy stuff but doesn't pass. It's like they're blinded by the technical skills but they also tend to be the stroppy ones who storm off the pitch or refuse to play if things not going their way or don't pass when another player in a much better position because they want all the glory.

I'd go to a few trials and choose the team with a manager that encourages the kids and wants to develop a passing game. When they're older they get frustrated if they play in a hoof it and hope team.
Kids' football on 17:19 - Feb 13 with 2913 viewsPetros

Many thanks to all repliers - food for thought (and action). I'm hoping that 11-a-side next year will be the making of him!
Kids' football on 20:55 - Feb 13 with 2791 viewsdaveB

My son plays in an under 10's team, he's been playing a few years now and enjoys it, he's not very good but gets lots of playing time in matches, maybe he's lucky with his manager but most teams we seem to play are similar in being fair on who plays rather than just picking the best kids and trying to win every week.

He did really fall out of love with it about a year ago as he wasn't playing well but we took him to the QPR Soccer school for a few Saturdays and during a half term and they were great with him, really worked with him and all the kids and made it more about fun than anything else. Would recommend that if he wants to start enjoying football again
Kids' football on 22:23 - Feb 13 with 2736 viewsBlackCrowe

Both kids play every week. My 14 year old daughter plays for Richmond Park FC, a really lovely club. They got promoted at a canter to the Surrey Premier league last season and are now having a baptism of fire playing against the likes of Crystal Palace and AFC Wimbledon but she loves it and her teammates who have all become best buddies and standard is impressive and the enthusiasm infectious. They've got a fair chance of staying up i reckon.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024