Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The first football analyst 14:30 - Jun 4 with 1599 viewshubble

Fascinating read: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61648608
The first football analyst on 15:09 - Jun 4 with 1524 viewsBoston

First guy to work out you ‘reep’ what you sow.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The first football analyst on 16:34 - Jun 4 with 1448 viewsdmm

Cheers, Hud. Nice to see you posting.

My father-in-law was the senior physical education lecturer at Chester college back in the day. He loved all sports but particularly football and had very definite ideas about how the game should be played. He absolutely hated Charles Reep because he believed he had helped facilitate the long ball game which my father-in-law despised.

Over the years we had many long and fascinating discussions about the game - he was extremely knowledgeable as you might imagine. I didn't always agree with him - as Graham Taylor once said, what's the difference between a 'long ball' and a long pass? That said, I generally agreed with my father-in-law's footballing principles on how the beautiful game should be played.
The first football analyst on 18:18 - Jun 4 with 1353 viewshubble

Thanks... Dave? I'm not sure who's who on here, apart from a few I definitely know. It's interesting that your father-in-law had that perception about Reep - it was shared by many, but it was unjustified, according to the article:

"It was interpreted in some places that Reep only wanted to hoof the ball forwards quickly and without direction, a label he has been tarred with to this day. In fact there was nothing directionless about the style of play he encouraged - wingers and attackers were told to be in very specific positions to make the most of any opportunities.

His main belief was that winning the ball close to the opponents' goal was most important in creating goals, although he wanted to generate as much offensive threat with as little fuss as possible. And in his later years he did begin to see positives in possession-based play - making several studies of Serie A football in the 1990s.

"I must emphasise that my methods are not a declaration of how football should be played," he was at pains to explain. "But it is the most efficient way."

What I find particularly fascinating is the we have just appointed a head coach who, in some ways, embodies the Reep approach, in terms of "the most efficient way" to play. (I'm basing this on having just watched the James Alcott podcast that Bosh posted in the Beale thread. )
The first football analyst on 18:44 - Jun 4 with 1315 viewsdmm

The first football analyst on 18:18 - Jun 4 by hubble

Thanks... Dave? I'm not sure who's who on here, apart from a few I definitely know. It's interesting that your father-in-law had that perception about Reep - it was shared by many, but it was unjustified, according to the article:

"It was interpreted in some places that Reep only wanted to hoof the ball forwards quickly and without direction, a label he has been tarred with to this day. In fact there was nothing directionless about the style of play he encouraged - wingers and attackers were told to be in very specific positions to make the most of any opportunities.

His main belief was that winning the ball close to the opponents' goal was most important in creating goals, although he wanted to generate as much offensive threat with as little fuss as possible. And in his later years he did begin to see positives in possession-based play - making several studies of Serie A football in the 1990s.

"I must emphasise that my methods are not a declaration of how football should be played," he was at pains to explain. "But it is the most efficient way."

What I find particularly fascinating is the we have just appointed a head coach who, in some ways, embodies the Reep approach, in terms of "the most efficient way" to play. (I'm basing this on having just watched the James Alcott podcast that Bosh posted in the Beale thread. )

You got me, Hud.
The first football analyst on 21:42 - Jun 4 with 1201 viewsLythamR

Thats a good read, great link!
The first football analyst on 08:14 - Jun 5 with 1000 viewsjoe90

Fascinating read, thank you.

It interesting to know that ‘long ball’ football has always been decisive. But as Reep said himself, he was looking at an effective way to play not saying how football should be played.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024