Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Owen 17:06 - Sep 4 with 1211 viewsexiled_dictator

Sky Sports sources understand Michael Owen has arrived at Stoke City to hold final talks over a two-year contract at the Britannia Stadium.

Owen has spent the summer searching for a new club after being released by Manchester United and has attracted interest from several teams.

The 32-year-old admitted that he had been targeted by clubs on the continent, but has always been keen to remain in the Premier League.

He was linked with a move to former club Liverpool following Brendan Rodgers' failure to sign a replacement for Andy Carroll and Sunderland were also rumoured to be interested.

However, Stoke boss Tony Pulis has spent the past couple of months hoping to persuade Owen to head to the Potteries and now appears to have won his battle.

Owen is understood to be holding final discussions over a deal and he could be confirmed as a Stoke player by Wednesday.

Reported that he will 'earn' £1.5m a year, ~£30k a week.
Given his recent playing & injury history, it seems a huge risk.
Plus his recent admissions about his injury show how desperate Pulis must be to get him in.
Personally, I see him as a spent force; maybe an 80th minute impact substitute. But £30k a week? Plus a signing on fee? I would put him on a basic + commission for time & goals.
Big risk, but Stoke might recover the outlay in increased shirt sales.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Michael Owen on 17:12 - Sep 4 with 923 viewsJonDoeman

Might be an inspired signing...but I doubt it.

It Is What It Is !!

Michael Owen on 17:13 - Sep 4 with 912 viewsClive_Anderson

I reckon he might have one decent season left in him. Might have a small bet on him scoring a fair few goals this year.
Michael Owen on 17:17 - Sep 4 with 895 viewsboobishabang

Not gonna be very effective with stokes long ball & throwin routines
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Michael Owen on 17:30 - Sep 4 with 858 viewsN12Hoop

A medical at Stoke probably just consists of looking skywards for 90 minutes.

Can't see how he fits into the Pulis way and I can't believe that he's going to be that effective nowadays at burying Crouch's flick-ons.

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Michael Owen on 17:32 - Sep 4 with 856 viewsTacticalR

At least his horses will get their hay...unless Stoke are the new Portsmouth.

Air hostess clique

Michael Owen on 17:35 - Sep 4 with 844 viewsJamie

Walters must be delighted thinking about all those Owen flick-ons he'll be feasting on.
Michael Owen on 17:40 - Sep 4 with 831 viewswaveydave

Michael Owen on 17:35 - Sep 4 by Jamie

Walters must be delighted thinking about all those Owen flick-ons he'll be feasting on.

This. Stoke don't even need to sign him, nevermind those wages
Michael Owen on 18:01 - Sep 4 with 780 viewsbosh67

Yes, Stoke does very much equal Owen being a well paid passenger/fan given the playing style. Nothing against Stoke but an odd choice for both. Surely he should have gone back to Liverpool where his height would have really done the trick.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Login to get fewer ads

Michael Owen on 18:08 - Sep 4 with 761 viewssimmo

1 year deal apparently

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Michael Owen on 18:13 - Sep 4 with 745 viewsJigsore

Heard it was a 2 year deal. In fairness that is £3m altogether since he's on a free and IF (a big f*****g if at that) he stays fit I think he will do a decent job for them.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Michael Owen on 19:29 - Sep 4 with 648 viewsHayesender

Emile Heskey is still going spare Mr Rodgers

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Michael Owen on 19:38 - Sep 4 with 633 viewsDylanP

BBC reporting it as a done deal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Michael Owen on 20:17 - Sep 4 with 595 viewsToast_R

Bad move from him, all that jumping for high balls is gonna play merry hell with his suspect hammies and knee.

Will score a few though.

Michael Owen on 20:41 - Sep 4 with 567 viewsQPR1882

Owen feeding off Crouch knockdowns,seems a good partnership to me.
Michael Owen on 20:48 - Sep 4 with 556 viewsJamie

Michael Owen on 20:41 - Sep 4 by QPR1882

Owen feeding off Crouch knockdowns,seems a good partnership to me.

They already have a man feeding off Crouch in Jon Walters who is quicker and more agile than 2012 Michael Owen.
Michael Owen on 21:15 - Sep 4 with 520 viewsCHUBBS

Michael Owen on 20:48 - Sep 4 by Jamie

They already have a man feeding off Crouch in Jon Walters who is quicker and more agile than 2012 Michael Owen.

There is no way on gods green earth that Walters is quicker than Owen.He has to be one of the slowest strikers around albeit quite skillfull.
Michael Owen on 21:15 - Sep 4 with 520 viewsQPR1882

Michael Owen on 20:48 - Sep 4 by Jamie

If i was a Stoke fan given the choice i would rather have a 2012 Owen then Walters feeding of Crouch.

Owen will score more goals per game then Walters will this season ( as was the case last year ) given the chance.

Still would not have him at QPR.
Michael Owen on 21:18 - Sep 4 with 509 viewsTearsOfaClown

Inspired - all it needs is to twin Owen with SWP and that would be a DYNAMIC duo.

Oh yes I really do.
Michael Owen on 21:18 - Sep 4 with 508 viewswaveydave

Doesn't walters score quite a few penalties for Stoke though
Michael Owen on 21:40 - Sep 4 with 487 viewsJamie

Michael Owen on 21:15 - Sep 4 by CHUBBS

There is no way on gods green earth that Walters is quicker than Owen.He has to be one of the slowest strikers around albeit quite skillfull.

The Michael Owen that reads the racing posts at training grounds in 2012 is a pale imitation of the Owen even at Newcastle where he was dire on the rare occasion he was fit.

He had to beg for a club after leaving Newcastle and has spent 3 years playing 60 minutes v Stevenage in the cup and 4 minute cameos v Wigan/Bolton etc. It was worth it to Utd just for that goal v City.

IMO it will be a miracle if he starts more than 5 games this season and scores more than 2 goals.
Michael Owen on 21:44 - Sep 4 with 478 viewsCHUBBS

Michael Owen on 21:40 - Sep 4 by Jamie

The Michael Owen that reads the racing posts at training grounds in 2012 is a pale imitation of the Owen even at Newcastle where he was dire on the rare occasion he was fit.

He had to beg for a club after leaving Newcastle and has spent 3 years playing 60 minutes v Stevenage in the cup and 4 minute cameos v Wigan/Bolton etc. It was worth it to Utd just for that goal v City.

IMO it will be a miracle if he starts more than 5 games this season and scores more than 2 goals.

I'm not disputing any of that,just that Walters is a little fat fcuker who couldn't beat an egg never mind Michael Owen in a foot race
Michael Owen on 21:49 - Sep 4 with 473 viewsQPR1882

Michael Owen on 21:40 - Sep 4 by Jamie

IMO it will be a miracle if he starts more than 5 games this season and scores more than 2 goals

He played 4 times last season and scored 3 goals ( not sure how many of them were starts ) he still knows where the net is and 1 season up front with Crouch could prove to be very good.
Michael Owen on 22:57 - Sep 4 with 404 viewsBushman

Michael Owen is a breadhead only interested in the Gee Gees
Cries when they win & looking for one last big payday.
Injury record almost as bad as dyer.
Peaked in world cup debut and never IMHO reached his potential.

I know almost nothing about the Premier League even though I try to catch the big games every now and then at the end of the season. But I will say this, Queens Park Rangers is just a fukking sick ass team name. Just sounds so cool.

Michael Owen on 07:44 - Sep 5 with 347 viewsShotKneesHoop

Michael Owen on 21:18 - Sep 4 by TearsOfaClown

Inspired - all it needs is to twin Owen with SWP and that would be a DYNAMIC duo.

Oh yes I really do.

Now Owen's signed for Stoke, it would make sense for Pullis to go for broke and sign SWP the other permanent bench polisher.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Michael Owen on 08:28 - Sep 5 with 318 viewsTearsOfaClown

Michael Owen on 07:44 - Sep 5 by ShotKneesHoop

Now Owen's signed for Stoke, it would make sense for Pullis to go for broke and sign SWP the other permanent bench polisher.

Owen always put in a good shift, covered 110% of the grass and . . .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024