Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... 09:08 - Jul 12 with 1470 viewsSomersetHoops

With a few exceptions we looked pretty awful last night.
The exceptions were Clint Hill, Ale Faurlin, Andy Johnson and another positive was I didn't see any of our pre-season signature goalkeeping errors by either Green or Murphy. IMHO MOM was an Exeter player Jake Gosling who looked more skillful and sharper than anyone else on the pitch.

I may have had a different perspective to our other fans who were crammed into a much too small space on the other side of the pitch from me, which demonstrated poor organisation by Exeter. I was going to get a transfer across, until I saw our fans sardined into about a sixth of the ground while there were acres of space in the other areas and I need to be able to sit as I had badly sprained my ankle a couple of days ago.

Anyway another hopeful positive is that although Bosingwa played he was taken off before he had completed a half and I have (fingers crossed) concluded that this confirmed to our coaching staf how useless he is. Perhaps others may have seen some good play from him.

Our teams in either configuration lacked penetration, organisation and that spark that was the hallmark of the team in our promotion pre-season. Ale Faurlin looked prepared to get stuck-in at every opportunity and in the second half when Andy Johnson played he looked very lively, although his opportunies to demonstrate it were very limited by the almost total lack of service he got. Whenever we got into difficulties in the first half, which happened far too frequently at this level, it seemed Clint Hill was there to clean up the mess.

Thats about it really, I was very disappointed by the rest of our squad who played. None of whom with the possible exception of Granero (who is off anyway) looked good enough to challenge at the top of the championship on this occaision. Yes and I do mean all the other players including some of our favourites who played in this game.

Perhaps some of our other fans may have a different opinion to mine and we are always told that pre-season games mean nothing, but this with the few exceptions I've noted was depressing watching. Things must improve massively if we are expecting to finish anywhere near the top half next season and the only positive I can see is that this should demonstrate to our management and coaches that we are a long way from being good enough.

Who's Next?

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:12 - Jul 12 with 1453 viewsdavman

Thanks for the report, Somerset, but no-one should read anything into the first friendly of preseason.
Things are going to change between now and the 3rd August, so who knows who will be playing in the Hoops?

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:17 - Jul 12 with 1435 viewsJonDoeman

Yeah wasn't good from what I saw, the good point is, it leaves plenty of room for improvement! ;)

It Is What It Is !!

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:27 - Jul 12 with 1397 viewsjohnswiltsqpr

As above don't look too into these matches.

I thought Simpson played well enough for a mention.
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:30 - Jul 12 with 1388 viewsRangersw12

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:12 - Jul 12 by davman

Thanks for the report, Somerset, but no-one should read anything into the first friendly of preseason.
Things are going to change between now and the 3rd August, so who knows who will be playing in the Hoops?

Although I agree with what your saying I remember seeing comments like yours last pre season when we looked awful and we know how that season turned out !
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:35 - Jul 12 with 1369 views1MoreBrightonR

Over the years, I've seen us hammer the odd team in pre-season friendlies....and then get relegated that season....and I've seen us look awful pre-season and then have a good season. Really wouldnt read much in to them and it's why i stopped wasting my money going.

I also in all my years of watching football dont think i've seen a pre-season friendly where the players look like like they give a sh1t
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 10:14 - Jul 12 with 1287 viewstimcocking

For all that, a 5-0 Rangers win would have been nice. A vey big surprise, but nice. At least we didn't lose :-(

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 15:38 - Jul 12 with 1139 viewsSomersetHoops

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 09:35 - Jul 12 by 1MoreBrightonR

Over the years, I've seen us hammer the odd team in pre-season friendlies....and then get relegated that season....and I've seen us look awful pre-season and then have a good season. Really wouldnt read much in to them and it's why i stopped wasting my money going.

I also in all my years of watching football dont think i've seen a pre-season friendly where the players look like like they give a sh1t

My experience has been the opposite. Last time we played Exeter pre-season was heralded as the return of Kevin Gallen when Wilkins was in charge and I think we lost 3-1. It was clear that Gallen had not recovered from his injury and as he has said since the injury was never properly dealt with at QPR. Our team that day were dire - worse than what I saw yesterday and that led to relegation.

Players should feel the need to perform well, unless they are satisfied with taking a big payroll while not being in the playing squad and those we don't want.

I saw two or three games in our promotion season under Warnock and you could see they were up for it from the off. That was in deep contrast to similar fixtures the following season where you could feel the unrest in the camp as soon as the team appeared on the pitch and the performances were poor.

I realise its wrong to base decisions on one pre-season game, but we had all last season to judge what crap we lumbered ourselves with and I couldn't see any signs of improvement in those players who failed us then.

As I said the only plus in pre-season is to recognise poor performance when it happens and deal with it before the season starts. This includes a proper analysis of the players we have and shipping out the ones that are no good. I know Harry wants that to happen, but it will cost Tony and his partners lots of money to do it properly, but it could cost more if we don't. Tony says he takes responsibility for what happened and I presume that includes the bad player purchases, so he may need to stump up to put it right. I just hope that can happen so there is at least some pre-season left to build a proper team, otherwise we could be in for another season of failure.

Who's Next?

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 15:48 - Jul 12 with 1110 viewsdaveB

you do get a sense in pre season of how things are going to go but never from the 1st game and especially when it's pretty obvious that very few of those who played last night will be invovled next season
Login to get fewer ads

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 15:55 - Jul 12 with 1102 viewsbatmanhoop

not a lot to disagree with the OP, but thought Traore played well and could do a job attacking wide midfield. Say what you like about it being a friendly and first game, but it was dire
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:02 - Jul 12 with 1092 viewsadhoc_qpr

Another key lesson learnt was that Suk Young will play no part this season (or probably ever), so we should definitely be looking for a new left back (as Traore is made of glass).
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:29 - Jul 12 with 1059 viewsMedwayR

I also thought Gosling looked decent, young player too I think, I'll be keeping an eye on him

Poll: Who’s better?

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:34 - Jul 12 with 1051 viewsscot1963

a friend of mine went to see it and he said it cost him £1 for each half - sounds on balance as if he got value for money. Asked if there were any highlights, he reckoned booing Bosingwa on and then cheering him off fairly quickly
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:36 - Jul 12 with 1044 viewsdaveB

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:02 - Jul 12 by adhoc_qpr

Another key lesson learnt was that Suk Young will play no part this season (or probably ever), so we should definitely be looking for a new left back (as Traore is made of glass).

harsh to just him on debut playing as a wing back when thats not his positon
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:38 - Jul 12 with 1037 viewsGloucs_R

Agree with the comment about the tiny corner Exeter gave us, what was that all about? Probably 300 rangers there and they give us a corner with no food or drink until they opened that tiny kiosk. Pathetic.

Poll: Are we staying up?

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 16:53 - Jul 12 with 1019 viewsWeaverQPR

The game was played at practically walking pace with, hard to judge anything from that.

@WeavQPR

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 20:51 - Jul 12 with 934 viewsSomersetHoops

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 15:55 - Jul 12 by batmanhoop

not a lot to disagree with the OP, but thought Traore played well and could do a job attacking wide midfield. Say what you like about it being a friendly and first game, but it was dire

Traore did have a go down the left in the first half, but seemed to lack support and I didn't see many useful crosses coming in which may have been due to the lack of passing options presented to him as an alternative meaning that he often had three Exeter players on him when he had the ball. It was on the opposite side to me so I might not have seen everything he did.

I prefer Traore in an attacking role, but he needs close support and as far as I could see he wasn't getting it. I can't say he wasn't trying, but it was ineffective which may not be his fault so you may be right in excluding him from the hall of shame.

Who's Next?

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 00:58 - Jul 13 with 848 viewshoops_legend

I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but....................... on 20:51 - Jul 12 by SomersetHoops

Traore did have a go down the left in the first half, but seemed to lack support and I didn't see many useful crosses coming in which may have been due to the lack of passing options presented to him as an alternative meaning that he often had three Exeter players on him when he had the ball. It was on the opposite side to me so I might not have seen everything he did.

I prefer Traore in an attacking role, but he needs close support and as far as I could see he wasn't getting it. I can't say he wasn't trying, but it was ineffective which may not be his fault so you may be right in excluding him from the hall of shame.

Did you not see murph yes pass straight to Exeter forward?? Any good striker would have scored but we were lucky he sucked
I hope we shouldn't read too much into a pre-season game, but.......................p on 10:11 - Jul 13 with 772 viewsLowerloftLad

Are second pre season friendly today and we are racing around trying to flog all these unwanted players by the time there out the door the and the new ones are in they will be gelling while the season is on 21 days to go still hopelessly trying to flog crap

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024