Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Frankie Knuckles dead 10:26 - Apr 1 with 21440 viewsAunt_Nelly

RIP

[Post edited 1 Apr 2014 10:30]
Frankie Knuckles dead (n/t) on 01:06 - Apr 2 with 2469 viewsFearless

[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 1:07]
Frankie Knuckles dead on 03:22 - Apr 2 with 2446 viewskarlski

Born in 87 so before my time but I'm a huge (mainly modern) house fan - always see the value in learning about the roots of what I love and therefore aware of his influence, but not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be. Therefore in the early hours of Sunday morning when I realised that a) he was playing at Ministry of Sound and b) I wasn't ready to go home, I headed over there and caught the last half an hour of his set. I remember my mate saying as he left the decks he could see why they called him the godfather and how we all walked out of there feeling like we understood house music that bit better. A bit trite perhaps, but true. Shocked to hear it turned out to be his last 30 mins doing what he loved. An honour to at least see him play - RIP Frankie, and thank you.
Frankie Knuckles dead on 08:38 - Apr 2 with 2425 viewssilky

Frankie Knuckles dead on 15:57 - Apr 1 by CroydonCaptJack

We are here but outnumbered by all the thrash metal merchants!!!

Hear hear, hear hear...

Its great to see how much of us know when we have genuinely lost a great man.

He started a genre of music that is still as strong today as it was back then.

Not many people can claim that prize in a lifetime!

RIP

For a lover of house music (especially in the late 80's to early 90's) I will shed a few tears today.

:(
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 8:44]

Poll: Do you think this current QPR team has got what is takes to go up this year?

Frankie Knuckles dead on 09:15 - Apr 2 with 2411 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Frankie Knuckles dead on 00:42 - Apr 2 by Bristolhoopsrr

Without Frankie Knuckles playing at the Warehouse in Chicago in mid '80s and his mixes that followed,house music wouldn't have such a positive impact for so many over here that it did.
RIP Legend

A celebratory Play off final after party sounds great though tricky for me as I'd prob have my 7 yr old boy with me..

I hope linking this works.
This Knuckles mix of "Ain't Nobody" Hallucinogenic version by Rufus & Chaka Khan is one of my fave mixes of his

Yes, that is one of my favourite mixes of his.
As well as his own stuff he produced and remixed hundreds of records.
He was to Chicago House what Larry Levan was to Garage in NY. Whilst over in Detroit the Techno scene was blossoming.

But it was the UK that embraced them all more than anywhere else.
Frankie Knuckles dead on 09:26 - Apr 2 with 2407 viewsDiscodroid

Frankie Knuckles dead on 21:56 - Apr 1 by Lblock

Look I know it's all talk and emotion at the moment but Disco's shout has got me thinking

A House-Heads evening off the back of the play offs somewhere in the Bush would be a bit of a giggle
I'm more than happy to blow the cobwebs off my SL1200's and Numark mixer for a strictly vinyl affair (the CD's and apple mac jockey days well after my time)

How's about any shouts on a potential venue?

im up for that mate!!. would be a good way to close the season or get on it if we get to wembley.

i'll wear a daisy in my hair for identification purposes or look out for a lee mack look a like , dad dancing.

numarks!! . blimey l block , i bow down.

if not , a pi$$ up and a good jukey would do...in homage to' fwan kie nuccles' as they say in essex.

bring the kids as well, im sure they'd laugh there heads off at us old boys boobing and weaving on the floor!!.

a cracking back to your roots track. as ron manager would say "marvellous'

. I didn't really realize what kind of void I left in house music when I stopped producing and remixing. In the late '90s when hard house, trance and techno took over, I was no longer inspired to make music. So I took my act on the road and thought that I would stay there until things got better. No one seemed interested in what I was doing as a producer. (Or so I thought.)

The further I got away from production, though, the more my health spiralled out of control. And, at that moment, Hercules & The Love Affair asked me to remix "Blind." They wanted "that classic Frankie Knuckles/DefMix" sound. I thought they must be kidding. No one was really playing anything remotely DefMix sounding. I passed on the remix, but they remained diligent. "I had to mix it" according to them. Then I took ill and thought, "OK, here's a way out." But the group said they'd wait until I was well. I didn't know how long that would be.

As soon as I got better and was ready to return to the road, they asked me again if I would remix it. At this point, they had waited six months, I had to do it. I pulled Eric Kupper in on programming, knocked out the mix and moved on. I was in Greece on tour when the record had been released. I didn't even know it was out there, but everyone was asking for it. I was blown away. Long story short, I have Hercules & The Love Affair to thank for getting me back to my first love. Correction, not my first love, my real love.

[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 9:46]

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:07 - Apr 2 with 2383 viewspaulparker

Frankie Knuckles dead on 09:26 - Apr 2 by Discodroid

im up for that mate!!. would be a good way to close the season or get on it if we get to wembley.

i'll wear a daisy in my hair for identification purposes or look out for a lee mack look a like , dad dancing.

if not , a pi$$ up and a good jukey would do...in homage to' fwan kie nuccles' as they say in essex.

bring the kids as well, im sure they'd laugh there heads off at us old boys boobing and weaving on the floor!!.

. I didn't really realize what kind of void I left in house music when I stopped producing and remixing. In the late '90s when hard house, trance and techno took over, I was no longer inspired to make music. So I took my act on the road and thought that I would stay there until things got better. No one seemed interested in what I was doing as a producer. (Or so I thought.)

The further I got away from production, though, the more my health spiralled out of control. And, at that moment, Hercules & The Love Affair asked me to remix "Blind." They wanted "that classic Frankie Knuckles/DefMix" sound. I thought they must be kidding. No one was really playing anything remotely DefMix sounding. I passed on the remix, but they remained diligent. "I had to mix it" according to them. Then I took ill and thought, "OK, here's a way out." But the group said they'd wait until I was well. I didn't know how long that would be.

As soon as I got better and was ready to return to the road, they asked me again if I would remix it. At this point, they had waited six months, I had to do it. I pulled Eric Kupper in on programming, knocked out the mix and moved on. I was in Greece on tour when the record had been released. I didn't even know it was out there, but everyone was asking for it. I was blown away. Long story short, I have Hercules & The Love Affair to thank for getting me back to my first love. Correction, not my first love, my real love.

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

yes a meet would be good, will need to dust off the old dancing shoes
I can just see a load of has beens dancing around trying to have it large , stella in one hand, the other hand in the air waiving it around shouting TUNNEEEEE
While the kids all sit in the corner sipping coke & eating cheese & onion crisps !!

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:35 - Apr 2 with 2372 viewsDiscodroid

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:07 - Apr 2 by paulparker

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

yes a meet would be good, will need to dust off the old dancing shoes
I can just see a load of has beens dancing around trying to have it large , stella in one hand, the other hand in the air waiving it around shouting TUNNEEEEE
While the kids all sit in the corner sipping coke & eating cheese & onion crisps !!

hehehehe..my ones 22 now, so he'll be joining us on the floor !..named him after simon stainrod!!.

simon, not stainrod.

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:39 - Apr 2 with 2367 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Frankie Knuckles dead on 09:26 - Apr 2 by Discodroid

I shall be listening to that one later Disco.
Cheers mate.
Login to get fewer ads

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:42 - Apr 2 with 2364 viewsDiscodroid

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:39 - Apr 2 by CroydonCaptJack

I shall be listening to that one later Disco.
Cheers mate.

its incredible mate , sort of chic meets steve arrington meets marshall jefferson meets daft punk meets masters at work meets anthony and the johnsons.

[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 11:36]

Frankie Knuckles dead on 11:41 - Apr 2 with 2347 viewsLblock

Frankie Knuckles dead on 10:42 - Apr 2 by Discodroid

its incredible mate , sort of chic meets steve arrington meets marshall jefferson meets daft punk meets masters at work meets anthony and the johnsons.

[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 11:36]

Strange one -- I was laying in my hospital bed just the other week and Point Blank Fm played this and I thought to myself just how good Knuck's production was and what a lovely haunting vocal.

One of my favorites below.
Always reminds me of playing my first choon at a do in Camden late 1991.
The place had been rocking and I took over from the last DJ and faded this one in, it's such a slow builder you could see the frustration growing on the floor. When the Knuck bass and hook dropped the place went off.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Frankie Knuckles dead on 11:47 - Apr 2 with 2341 viewsW7Ranger

Passion FM still going strong.

And a newly set up internet station called audiobunker is superb for all things House, Old Skool and New. www.audiobunker.co.uk

I knew a few of the DJ's on this station and I can highly recommend it! Give it a try...
Frankie Knuckles dead on 11:53 - Apr 2 with 2341 viewsDiscodroid

Frankie Knuckles dead on 11:41 - Apr 2 by Lblock

Strange one -- I was laying in my hospital bed just the other week and Point Blank Fm played this and I thought to myself just how good Knuck's production was and what a lovely haunting vocal.

The place had been rocking and I took over from the last DJ and faded this one in, it's such a slow builder you could see the frustration growing on the floor. When the Knuck bass and hook dropped the place went off.

ahhh memories..not a feeling like it in the world when dj' ing to a clued up crowd and everyones on it.

leave the shit outside , the bird trouble, the mortgage trouble, the career trouble ,relationship troubles , kids giving you gyp.. nothing like it in the world .

trouble is mate you have to look out for all the fall out from the dance scene, ive seen it with myself and lots of others..its grim. strange thing is though you never really had that side of things with the real house scene such as the tracks on this thread, more techno, trance prog house, etc.

btw sorry to hear you were in hospital mate!. not blood pressure due to gary oniels outstanding form of late i hope!

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:02 - Apr 2 with 2331 viewsPommyhoop

Frankie Knuckles dead on 11:41 - Apr 2 by Lblock

I know what you mean about the place going off when the base and hook kicks in .I used to f@cking love that precise moment .I was never a DJ or muso .Strictly punter.
What a brilliant time to have been involved in ..Our own 60's...

Oh and stop going on about a House Head meet up around play off time ..You are making cry with envy....
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 12:04]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:06 - Apr 2 with 2326 viewsDiscodroid

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:02 - Apr 2 by Pommyhoop

I know what you mean about the place going off when the base and hook kicks in .I used to f@cking love that precise moment .I was never a DJ or muso .Strictly punter.
What a brilliant time to have been involved in ..Our own 60's...

Oh and stop going on about a House Head meet up around play off time ..You are making cry with envy....
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 12:04]

CHOOSE LIFE POMMY....

Over to you Renton..

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fuking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fuking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuk you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fuking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fuked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got QUEENS PARK RANGERS AND HOUSE MUSIC..

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:10 - Apr 2 with 2322 viewsPommyhoop

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:06 - Apr 2 by Discodroid

CHOOSE LIFE POMMY....

Over to you Renton..

Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family. Choose a fuking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin can openers. Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends. Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of fuking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who the fuk you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing spirit-crushing game shows, stuffing fuking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, fuked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life . . . But why would I want to do a thing like that? I chose not to choose life: I chose something else. And the reasons? There are no reasons. Who needs reasons when you've got QUEENS PARK RANGERS AND HOUSE MUSIC..

Great scene when he's in the club in London. Scruffy Scottish skagead on one giving it large in the smoke ..Love It...

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:17 - Apr 2 with 2313 viewspaulparker

Frankie Knuckles dead on 11:53 - Apr 2 by Discodroid

ahhh memories..not a feeling like it in the world when dj' ing to a clued up crowd and everyones on it.

leave the shit outside , the bird trouble, the mortgage trouble, the career trouble ,relationship troubles , kids giving you gyp.. nothing like it in the world .

trouble is mate you have to look out for all the fall out from the dance scene, ive seen it with myself and lots of others..its grim. strange thing is though you never really had that side of things with the real house scene such as the tracks on this thread, more techno, trance prog house, etc.

btw sorry to hear you were in hospital mate!. not blood pressure due to gary oniels outstanding form of late i hope!

Problem with all the fall out from the Dance scene Disco
is a soon as something is good people want to make a £ note out of it
that's from drug dealers selling c rap gear to record producers making poppy dance guff

we all come from a time when you would queue for hours sometimes to get in a Do
talk absolute rubbish to people around you listening to thud of the music in the background it was the high of waiting to get in there and dance your bollox off

or going to record shops talking to dj's in there, talking about do's, tunes & sometimes football

or driving back from a venue with mates 6 to a car ,( one time we had to put a mate in the boot as we had no room LOL ) to go back for the post venue Puff session at 6 in the morning

kids today I feel sorry for, they don't have anything apart from drinking jaeger bombs
and falling out of Revolutions whilst getting into a scrap over a couple of fat birds

Our generation definitely had the better deal

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:18 - Apr 2 with 2312 viewsDiscodroid

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:10 - Apr 2 by Pommyhoop

Great scene when he's in the club in London. Scruffy Scottish skagead on one giving it large in the smoke ..Love It...

yep it was this choon which was dropped in that london scene

[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 12:19]

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:32 - Apr 2 with 2299 viewsPommyhoop

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:17 - Apr 2 by paulparker

that's from drug dealers selling c rap gear to record producers making poppy dance guff

talk absolute rubbish to people around you listening to thud of the music in the background it was the high of waiting to get in there and dance your bollox off

or going to record shops talking to dj's in there, talking about do's, tunes & sometimes football

or driving back from a venue with mates 6 to a car ,( one time we had to put a mate in the boot as we had no room LOL ) to go back for the post venue Puff session at 6 in the morning

kids today I feel sorry for, they don't have anything apart from drinking jaeger bombs
and falling out of Revolutions whilst getting into a scrap over a couple of fat birds

Bang on Parker..
One fave spot for us to chill and come down before we all went home .Was the lorry drivers bar in Western International Market. Was open 24 hrs to cater for the market workers working round the clock.
All sorts in there , Alcoholics,lorry drivers ,cab drivers , lunatics and then us lot sometimes still off our tits ,bopping around the pool table to the remnants in our heads...

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:34 - Apr 2 with 2297 viewsLblock

Right first one on here on Friday needs to ensure this week, more than any other, is The Frankie Friday Music Thread

By the mere fact the mans passing has inspired a 3 page thread on a football forum proves what a ledge he was and will continue to be.

Let the bass kick

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:52 - Apr 2 with 2292 viewsDiscodroid

PARKER i lived in brentwood a sugar hut /towie cesspit

hated the fuking place. like spending seven years of my life in a blinged up rampton, the liquid cosh being the 'culture' of the place..

I can tell that someone is from brentwood from a thousand yard stare.
the hair, the manner,the gate the sheer arrogant cntishness .
perma tanned 18 year old slags gantin' on a shoulder to cry on and a sweaty cck to suck..

the middle aged men with zipped up la coste and the stench of paco rabanne ,front and center in the essex arms, thinking there permantly in 'rise of the foot soldier' when we all know they work in a purchase ledger dept(a-d) of an auditing firm in broadgate.

existing on a diet of carling at £4.50a pint and £40/£50 wraps of bitter dissapointment, provided by the meals on wheels service from the local travelling community.
"put fw ankie nuckels" on the jukie ...
cnts.

*lfw edited version u-15 so as not to piss to many people off.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 13:34]

Frankie Knuckles dead on 13:01 - Apr 2 with 2283 viewspaulparker

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:52 - Apr 2 by Discodroid

PARKER i lived in brentwood a sugar hut /towie cesspit

hated the fuking place. like spending seven years of my life in a blinged up rampton, the liquid cosh being the 'culture' of the place..

I can tell that someone is from brentwood from a thousand yard stare.
the hair, the manner,the gate the sheer arrogant cntishness .
perma tanned 18 year old slags gantin' on a shoulder to cry on and a sweaty cck to suck..

the middle aged men with zipped up la coste and the stench of paco rabanne ,front and center in the essex arms, thinking there permantly in 'rise of the foot soldier' when we all know they work in a purchase ledger dept(a-d) of an auditing firm in broadgate.

existing on a diet of carling at £4.50a pint and £40/£50 wraps of bitter dissapointment, provided by the meals on wheels service from the local travelling community.
"put fw ankie nuckels" on the jukie ...
cnts.

*lfw edited version u-15 so as not to piss to many people off.
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 13:34]

Mate they are everywhere
I used to live in Ruislip but moved over to the Northamptonshire countryside a while back
when I do go back its either awash with blokes drinking in Sweeneys or the Manor House , wearing reebok classics bowling around like danny dyer on Acid,
or the other divs with their side parting quiffs, spray on tans, stupid tight jeans and sleave tattoos talking in a vvanky mockney accent that makes Mark Wright sound like ray winstone
as uncle albert would say
Bloody Kids !!!

Frankie Knuckles dead on 13:06 - Apr 2 with 2277 viewsPommyhoop

Frankie Knuckles dead on 13:30 - Apr 2 with 2267 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Frankie Knuckles dead on 12:34 - Apr 2 by Lblock

Right first one on here on Friday needs to ensure this week, more than any other, is The Frankie Friday Music Thread

By the mere fact the mans passing has inspired a 3 page thread on a football forum proves what a ledge he was and will continue to be.

Let the bass kick

That is a great shout
Frankie Knuckles dead on 13:34 - Apr 2 with 2262 viewsCroydonCaptJack

We once put one of my mates in the boot of my car and when he got out he said -
'Mate, with your music playing, whenever you indicated it felt like I was already in the club with the Strobe lights!'
Frankie Knuckles dead on 13:44 - Apr 2 with 2250 viewsW7Ranger

Do any of you currently go to any of the following "do's"...??

EE (Encapsulated Energy) in Hastings.

Sweet Sensation (Various venues around West London)

Pirate Club (Was Wembley, now Willesden)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024