Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
stuttering run up for penalties 11:50 - Jun 30 with 10852 viewswillis1980

are supposed to be illegal so why hasnt it been enforced by the referees, i find it creates an unfair advantage to the penalty taker (neymar in particular). you could see the referees telling the goalkeepers to stay on their line etc but nothing was mentioned to those taking pens.
stuttering run up for penalties on 15:30 - Jun 30 with 1382 viewsfrancisbowles

'this means (I think) that a player cannot score if his penalty rebounds off the post or bar, though one of his team mates can.'

Spot on!
stuttering run up for penalties on 16:07 - Jun 30 with 1367 viewsQPR_John

stuttering run up for penalties on 15:30 - Jun 30 by francisbowles

'this means (I think) that a player cannot score if his penalty rebounds off the post or bar, though one of his team mates can.'

Spot on!

Of course this is the case, a penalty is no different in that aspect from a free kick, the taker cannot touch the ball again until touched by another player.
stuttering run up for penalties on 16:59 - Jun 30 with 1350 viewsPinnerPaul

stuttering run up for penalties on 14:08 - Jun 30 by terryb

The laws of the game can only be changed by the FIFA Laws Committee & not altered for a competition, even one as important as the World Cup.

It is not unusual for people in the media not to know what the laws are. They normally get it wrong with offside & handball!

I still fail to see what would be against the laws for passing the ball forward at a penalty for a team mate to run in & shoot. You could even argue that "his shot went wrong". This is provided he was outside the box when contact was made with the ball. This is not feigning as you have played the ball & in the past has certainly been used & allowed. It always upset the other team though!

Robert Pires was far from the first to take a penalty like this, however you really need to let your team mates know of your intention!

Of course, this could not be used in a shootout as you are only allowed one kick at the ball to score.

I thought that penalties were meant to be awarded to punish a guilty party. Therefore, anything that helps a goal being the result should be encouraged.

You're right Terry, nothing wrong in law with what Pires tried to do.
stuttering run up for penalties on 17:01 - Jun 30 with 1349 viewsPinnerPaul

stuttering run up for penalties on 14:14 - Jun 30 by Alvarado

Consulting the rules last night (as I did) confirmed to me that you are only allowed to take a second touch (ie bang it in on the rebound, or treat the penalty as an indirect free kick - which I have seen done before) if the ball is touched by another player after the first touch. But when taking penalties (ie at the end of a match to decide a result) banging it in on the rebound/from the goalie's save does not seem to be allowed. I couldn't find the rule to say it's not allowed but I'm sure it's not. Why isn't it allowed? Where is the rule that says it's not allowed?

The penalty kick is deemed to be over once the forward momentum of the ball stops, so rebounds not allowed but ball off post onto keeper and in is!

Laws are never perfect!
stuttering run up for penalties on 17:02 - Jun 30 with 1349 viewsPinnerPaul

stuttering run up for penalties on 14:33 - Jun 30 by Alvarado

No it is not illegal, the kicker can kick the ball a second time provided it's been touched by another player (either from his team, or by the goalkeeper) after his first touch.

this means (I think) that a player cannot score if his penalty rebounds off the post or bar, though one of his team mates can.

Correct
stuttering run up for penalties on 17:04 - Jun 30 with 1347 viewsPinnerPaul

stuttering run up for penalties on 16:07 - Jun 30 by QPR_John

Of course this is the case, a penalty is no different in that aspect from a free kick, the taker cannot touch the ball again until touched by another player.

Or indeed a corner - before you say that won't happen, it happened to me once - taker hit the post from corner, ball rebounded back to him, I blew my whistle - luckily player's manager DID know the laws and stopped player having a go at me!
stuttering run up for penalties on 19:22 - Jun 30 with 1325 viewsterryb

Where the officials have gone wrong in this tournament is with corners.

Twice the ball has been played, knocking it outside the quadrant for another player to stroll over & run with the ball. You should not need to tell the officials that this is your intention & if the ref feels that he has played the ball twice he should give a free kick, rather than retaking the corner.
stuttering run up for penalties on 09:55 - Jul 1 with 1280 viewsPinnerPaul

stuttering run up for penalties on 19:22 - Jun 30 by terryb

Where the officials have gone wrong in this tournament is with corners.

Twice the ball has been played, knocking it outside the quadrant for another player to stroll over & run with the ball. You should not need to tell the officials that this is your intention & if the ref feels that he has played the ball twice he should give a free kick, rather than retaking the corner.

This one has been around for years, especially at grass roots level and divides opinion of referees.

I was asked before a match this season if OK to do, BUT they wanted kicker to be able to shout "Here you take it" before touching the ball himself and his mate running over to play on.

I, and others, think that if you are adding the shout, then that's a deliberate attempt to deceive, so USB, and not allowed.

However I personally don't have a problem with the kicker tapping the ball and his teammate coming over and carrying on, although I know some refs, including the WC ones evidently!, regard this as a "trick" therefore don't allow it.

You're right in law though, if they think its USB, they should caution and award a free kick to oppo - nothing in law to allow a re take that they have been doing as you say.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024