Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standing up at football 12:45 - Aug 17 with 7107 viewsWatford_Ranger

I was in the front row of the upper tier yesterday and naturally stood up for the penalty but was asked to sit down by a guy who didn't have any obvious need to be seated.

Am I in the wrong? Surely even in the sanitised world of boutique Premier football it's normal to stand when your team is on the attack or even just for a corner?

Thoughts?

Edit- i should add that I've always sat at or near the back until this season.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 12:46]
Standing up at football on 11:33 - Aug 18 with 1188 viewsdaveB

At away games it does my head in when people are screaming at you to stand up all game. I’m quite happy to stand when something exciting is happening but after paying 40 odd quid for a seat I’d like to sit for part of the match. It’s put me off going to be honest and I got to a lot less away games these days. Bournemouth last year was a bloody nightmare for this

I’m quite capable of cheering the team on from a seating position, I’m not sure why it’s an issue, I sat for a lot of the game at Wembley last year and the atmosphere was great, same as at many other games.

Saying that I do think it's odd that when we get a penalty someone is asking you to sit down, that doesn't even happen in the family stand
Standing up at football on 13:25 - Aug 18 with 1140 viewsTopCat34

Hopefully the club will try and incorporate a safe-standing area into the new ground, and appease all parties.
Standing up at football on 13:40 - Aug 18 with 1127 viewsJamie

Standing up at football on 13:25 - Aug 18 by TopCat34

Hopefully the club will try and incorporate a safe-standing area into the new ground, and appease all parties.

A quick look at the premium charged for seats at concerts gives you a very good reason that won't happen.
Standing up at football on 18:26 - Aug 18 with 1055 viewssotonsuperhoop

I sit in row v R Block and in our area we have a mixture of blokes in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s, we all stand as the team attack, particulary if its towards the school end, old and younger alike!

We all stood for the penalty on Sat and we all stood for extra time v Wigan, so whats the problem

I'm in row J at Tottenham, and I expect to stand the whole game
Standing up at football on 18:29 - Aug 18 with 1050 viewsloftboy

A steward last year bollocked my eldest son for standing up cheering when we scored!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Standing up at football on 19:55 - Aug 18 with 1016 viewsbaz_qpr

Standing up at football on 13:36 - Aug 17 by themodfather

i always try and get to the back rows, so hopefully can stand with like minded people and not block views...
doesn't always work, qpr fans can be odd.."thats my seat" when the away end is nigh empty is one example?

This, you wanna stand do as I do and go to row Z
Standing up at football on 21:16 - Aug 18 with 989 viewsMatch82

Interesting to see the wide range of views on here.

If there's any likelihood of blocking views then I do think people should stay seated (or get a seat towards the back), but penalties are surely an exception - it'll maybe happen 5-10 times a season and there's a decent time lapse between the award and the kick itself, which is ample time for people to get up and arrange themselves in a position to see properly.
Standing up at football on 21:38 - Aug 18 with 969 viewssotonsuperhoop

If I pay good money to watch a game I want to see all the action, so if it means standing then I will regardless of whose behind me.

When we had terraces you never heard of people complaining

There are certain areas of LR where you can sit with little chance of people standing and areas where you know the majority will stand. If you want to sit SAR blocks b to e, ER stand S to W, Lower Loft. All other areas and you know people will stand at some point during the game or for all of it.

Buy you ST/match day ticket in the most suitable area for what you want, its not rocket science
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 21:39]
Login to get fewer ads

Standing up at football on 21:41 - Aug 18 with 963 viewsNW5Hoop

Standing up at football on 21:38 - Aug 18 by sotonsuperhoop

If I pay good money to watch a game I want to see all the action, so if it means standing then I will regardless of whose behind me.

When we had terraces you never heard of people complaining

There are certain areas of LR where you can sit with little chance of people standing and areas where you know the majority will stand. If you want to sit SAR blocks b to e, ER stand S to W, Lower Loft. All other areas and you know people will stand at some point during the game or for all of it.

Buy you ST/match day ticket in the most suitable area for what you want, its not rocket science
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 21:39]

You never heard people complaining on the terraces because the people who wanted to sit didn't go on the terraces. They went in the stands.

And you want to see all the action. Maybe the people behind you do, too.
Standing up at football on 22:37 - Aug 18 with 934 viewstimcocking

Standing up at football on 21:45 - Aug 17 by Spaghetti_Hoops

If you stand up forcing those behind you to either stand up or miss parts of the match you are a selfish inconsiderate c*nt. That is really all there is to it.

Whether you are sitting down or standing up you can make exactly the same noise, and I do, and wish more people would contribute to the atmosphere. That's their choice but standing in an all-seater stadium isn't.

Utter bullsh!t
Standing up at football on 23:33 - Aug 18 with 921 viewsqprewan

Standing up at football on 21:45 - Aug 17 by Spaghetti_Hoops

If you stand up forcing those behind you to either stand up or miss parts of the match you are a selfish inconsiderate c*nt. That is really all there is to it.

Whether you are sitting down or standing up you can make exactly the same noise, and I do, and wish more people would contribute to the atmosphere. That's their choice but standing in an all-seater stadium isn't.

Are you for real? We are not at the feking theatre! I spend most games sitting down but like most people stand when we are attacking etc and cannot believe that Watford was asked to sit for a penalty.I hope that however old I get that I never utter the words sit down to a fellow supporter its frankly just sad and before some a sanctimonious twot starts talking about kids, I took both my boys to footie when they were little and it's quite easy you just scoop them up when everyone else stands and if you are at a game where people are standing for long periods you stand them on the seats..As for away game
if it's Donny away and the atmosphere is dead I don't really see the need to stand up all game but like others on here it frustrates me if it's a derby game or a big match and everyone sits down like lemons..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024