Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Standing up at football 12:45 - Aug 17 with 7104 viewsWatford_Ranger

I was in the front row of the upper tier yesterday and naturally stood up for the penalty but was asked to sit down by a guy who didn't have any obvious need to be seated.

Am I in the wrong? Surely even in the sanitised world of boutique Premier football it's normal to stand when your team is on the attack or even just for a corner?

Thoughts?

Edit- i should add that I've always sat at or near the back until this season.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 12:46]
Standing up at football on 19:29 - Aug 17 with 1411 viewsHantsR

It's just one person who starts it - they stand and block either the front or side view of someone, so the next person affected has to stand up and all those who want to view the match therefore have to stand.

It's selfish not to consider the young, old, shorter or others who are condemned to missing parts of the game by this action. Yesterday I had a bad back so simply wouldn't have been able to stand for long but of course I was on my feet for the penalt-oh! I've got no problem with occasionally standing when situation warrants it. What pees me off most is, 'stand up if you hate Chelscum etc.'

A similar problem is the person who leans forward in his seat all through the match so there's no way I can see the game along the near touchline or corner. They seemed to be a bit sparing with the live video action yesterday, so that wasn't an option.

Tbh, it's not a big problem although I've had to bang the head of the bloke in front of me a few times at away games.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 19:33]
Standing up at football on 19:30 - Aug 17 with 1411 viewsdsr_burnley

Standing up at football on 17:13 - Aug 17 by QPR1882

I take it you were not at Wembley when Hoilett won that tackle and crossed the ball, because there was 40,000 QPR fans on their feet long before ooohhh Bobby hit the back of the net.

I stand up like most people when we either get in an attacking position down the wings when you know the ball is coming in the middle and you hope/know something is going to happen and yes I know what a seat is.

I don't see the purpose of standing for a pen but on the other hand I understand why some do, and if my view gets blocked I just stand up as do the people behind me, simples.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about.

Imagine if you were five foot tall, or if you had a dodgy knee that took a few seconds to straighten out. Do you think you could see what the fuss was about then?

A return to terraces and/or safe standing is much needed IMO.
Standing up at football on 19:44 - Aug 17 with 1389 viewsRblock_James

The problem at away games is the majority don't want to stand. And not only does it make us look like Fulham it also makes the away end like a library. Villa away in the relegation season springs to mind, crucial game, massive away following......game starts...boom, every fcker sits down in silence. Embarrassing. Fact.

Like it or not we have a lot of boring gimps following us away. Tartan blankets, triangle sandwiches, brew flasks etc

Kids and old to the front maybe? I dunno, every other club seems to manage it. Puts me off going knowing I'm gonna be made to sit like I'm at the theatre for 90 minutes.
Standing up at football on 19:54 - Aug 17 with 1360 viewsdolcelatte

Really struggling to understand why people can't just sit on their arse for a couple of hours and have some consideration for other people. Same for smoking at football.

Can't you all just pretend you are on a plane for the duration.

Hardly becoming Fulham - it's just manners.

Poll: Are you sick of people asking if you are sick of polls?

Standing up at football on 19:59 - Aug 17 with 1354 viewsWatford_Ranger

Standing up at football on 19:54 - Aug 17 by dolcelatte

Really struggling to understand why people can't just sit on their arse for a couple of hours and have some consideration for other people. Same for smoking at football.

Can't you all just pretend you are on a plane for the duration.

Hardly becoming Fulham - it's just manners.

There's a balance. Equally why do some people away from home who don't want to stand insist on 'their' seat at the back depriving those who would like to get behind the team.

Football is meant to be a laugh after all. Those who sing (I sometimes do, sometimes don't) are genuinely helping the team and it should be encouraged and made easier in some way.
Standing up at football on 20:04 - Aug 17 with 1351 viewsNW5Hoop

Standing up at football on 19:59 - Aug 17 by Watford_Ranger

There's a balance. Equally why do some people away from home who don't want to stand insist on 'their' seat at the back depriving those who would like to get behind the team.

Football is meant to be a laugh after all. Those who sing (I sometimes do, sometimes don't) are genuinely helping the team and it should be encouraged and made easier in some way.

I would guess they do that because they've been given tickets with allocated seat numbers, and have been directed to them. And they fear that if they go and sit somewhere else, the people with tickets for those seats will come and ask them to move.

I like it best when it's unallocated seating in away end, and you can can go where you like. But that's unlikely to work in sold out away ends in the Premier League, whereas it's fine at Doncaster.
Standing up at football on 20:25 - Aug 17 with 1332 viewsTopCat34

Don't understand following your team hundreds of miles up and down the country and then sitting in bored silence for 90 mins. We take good numbers mostly, but it's immediately negated by everyone sitting down.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 20:27]
Standing up at football on 20:34 - Aug 17 with 1317 viewskensalriser

Is there some physiological reason you can't sing and make noise unless standing?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Standing up at football on 20:38 - Aug 17 with 1312 viewsWatford_Ranger

Standing up at football on 20:34 - Aug 17 by kensalriser

Is there some physiological reason you can't sing and make noise unless standing?

No. It's just unnatural and a bit weird.

I'm glad of course that fans of all types follow us away but I envy clubs where it's just a given that you'll be standing. Football was never meant to be viewed live sitting down.
Standing up at football on 21:00 - Aug 17 with 1300 viewsMaggsinho

Standing up at football on 20:25 - Aug 17 by TopCat34

Don't understand following your team hundreds of miles up and down the country and then sitting in bored silence for 90 mins. We take good numbers mostly, but it's immediately negated by everyone sitting down.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2014 20:27]

I doubt it's a bored silence, it's just that people have different ways of watching a game,.

Some will sit quietly and absorb the tactics, some will chat to their mates all game, some will scream and shout and goad the home fans, some will join in chants when it's getting a bit exciting, some...etc

We're a broad church - being a bit quiet doesn't mean someone is bored.
Standing up at football on 21:05 - Aug 17 with 1290 viewstimcocking

Standing up at football on 13:08 - Aug 17 by kensalriser

Why did you need to stand up?

How stupid.
Standing up at football on 21:05 - Aug 17 with 1290 viewsspencer

Are we allowed to stand when we score?

It's a domino effect.

I sit in R block by the corner flag....when the ball is going down the left hand side( hopefully when we are attacking)...one person maybe in S block stands and then,....in the excitement most people stand.(Im not picking on any bloke..just an example)

Have yet to meet anyone who has been offended by that.. i thought that was normal at football grounds?

2 Points.

I hate it when people arrive late( yes i know we all do)...and then take a flipping age to get to seat and block my view.

Also - the couple in front of me...like to spend half time drinking smoking etc in the concourse and do not get back until 15 -20 mins into game...That's their prerogative ..they are ST holders....but quite often i get people coming down from back of the block and asking if they can sit there. No...there are not your seats go away.
Standing up at football on 21:09 - Aug 17 with 1286 viewsQPR1882

Standing up at football on 19:30 - Aug 17 by dsr_burnley

Imagine if you were five foot tall, or if you had a dodgy knee that took a few seconds to straighten out. Do you think you could see what the fuss was about then?

A return to terraces and/or safe standing is much needed IMO.

NO i dont.

I have been going to football long before stadiums were all seating and had my 1st season ticket in SA stand. Over the years i have stood and sat in the majority of stands at QPR and 40 years ago i still had to stand up in my seat. It has always happened and it always will.

Terraces are not the answer to this problem, yes it will stop the guys who stand for 90 mins at the back of the stand. But it will not stop fans standing up in seating areas, never has,never will.
Standing up at football on 21:16 - Aug 17 with 1276 viewsQPR1882

Remember the atmosphere we created at Cardiff, the 90 mins of singing, the inflatables,the ballons.

Can you imagine what our little corner of the ground would have been like if we all sat down for 90 mins.

We call Arsenal the library because they all sit there as quiet as mice for 90 mins, surely no one wants that at HQ
Standing up at football on 21:27 - Aug 17 with 1258 viewsnadera78

If you're in the front row of the upper tier there's absolutely no need to stand up unless we've scored or gone close to doing so. Choosing to do it for a penalty means that the person behind has to stand up, and so on. Even if everyone chooses to stand those further back still can't see the goal line, especially from the Upper Loft, because of the gradient. Choosing to stand from the front row is just plain selfish tbh.
Standing up at football on 21:45 - Aug 17 with 1178 viewsSpaghetti_Hoops

If you stand up forcing those behind you to either stand up or miss parts of the match you are a selfish inconsiderate c*nt. That is really all there is to it.

Whether you are sitting down or standing up you can make exactly the same noise, and I do, and wish more people would contribute to the atmosphere. That's their choice but standing in an all-seater stadium isn't.
Standing up at football on 06:50 - Aug 18 with 1105 viewswestberksr

Standing up at football on 21:45 - Aug 17 by Spaghetti_Hoops

If you stand up forcing those behind you to either stand up or miss parts of the match you are a selfish inconsiderate c*nt. That is really all there is to it.

Whether you are sitting down or standing up you can make exactly the same noise, and I do, and wish more people would contribute to the atmosphere. That's their choice but standing in an all-seater stadium isn't.

This

My father and I sit in the upper loft and he is 77, takes an age to get to his seat, an age to get out of it and when some ignorant tvvat stands up just because we have crossed the half way line in an attempt to form an attack it is a right pain in the are.

I'm 6'5" so when I have to stand because tvvat number 2 does the same, 3 rows behind me also have to get up.

Fine when we have a pen or actually score a goal, but this whole jack in the box mentality every time we cross the half way line is just a bit retarded.

Away games are different half the fans are pissed or coked and spend as much to e slagging off their co fans for being boring, disloyal, tvvattish for not standing (or not being pissed/coked/a dick). At least congregate towards the back and let the families with kids or geriatrics sit in peace and comfort.

On the occasions that I do go to away games and there is free seating I usually pitch towards the back so I can stand if I choose.
[Post edited 18 Aug 2014 10:32]
Standing up at football on 09:05 - Aug 18 with 1067 viewsNW5Hoop

Standing up at football on 20:38 - Aug 17 by Watford_Ranger

No. It's just unnatural and a bit weird.

I'm glad of course that fans of all types follow us away but I envy clubs where it's just a given that you'll be standing. Football was never meant to be viewed live sitting down.

You know that large swathes of grounds were seated even before stadiums became all seater? So there were always a lot of people who wanted to sit, and thought it perfectly natural to sit to watch football.
Standing up at football on 09:14 - Aug 18 with 1060 viewsRangersw12

Standing up at football on 19:44 - Aug 17 by Rblock_James

The problem at away games is the majority don't want to stand. And not only does it make us look like Fulham it also makes the away end like a library. Villa away in the relegation season springs to mind, crucial game, massive away following......game starts...boom, every fcker sits down in silence. Embarrassing. Fact.

Like it or not we have a lot of boring gimps following us away. Tartan blankets, triangle sandwiches, brew flasks etc

Kids and old to the front maybe? I dunno, every other club seems to manage it. Puts me off going knowing I'm gonna be made to sit like I'm at the theatre for 90 minutes.

In the lower tier everyone stood at Villa

If it's a big game Rangers fans stand and if not most will sit down not a big deal and doesn't harm the atmosphere at all
Standing up at football on 10:42 - Aug 18 with 1026 viewsQPunkR

Personally, I always stand thoughout the whole game (apart from on Sat when I slumped back against the wall after Charlie missed his pen!), but I've made my own patch up in Q Block against the wall at the back. The stewards used to come and try to get us to move down into rows of seats every game but thankfully they finally got bored of this a few seasons ago.
Going to away games you can tell the difference, Brum away last season was one case in point, the whistle blew, everyone sat down and silence pretty much ensued.

QPR - "shit but local"

Standing up at football on 11:06 - Aug 18 with 1013 viewsFearless

Standing up at football on 21:45 - Aug 17 by Spaghetti_Hoops

Bournemouth away last season in the side if the ground - a bloke 2 rows in front of us and just far enough to the right to block the goal stood up as the whistle went,

No one else stood up - he was asked to sit politely but replied by saying "we're away from home - we stand at away games"

Two of my group couldn't stand if they wanted to - 1 had dodgy knees and the other was being treated for lung cancer

Needless to say, my opinion of the bloke insisting on standing isn't fit for printing here!
Standing up at football on 11:06 - Aug 18 with 1009 viewsdanehoop

Standing up at football on 17:13 - Aug 17 by QPR1882

I take it you were not at Wembley when Hoilett won that tackle and crossed the ball, because there was 40,000 QPR fans on their feet long before ooohhh Bobby hit the back of the net.

I stand up like most people when we either get in an attacking position down the wings when you know the ball is coming in the middle and you hope/know something is going to happen and yes I know what a seat is.

I don't see the purpose of standing for a pen but on the other hand I understand why some do, and if my view gets blocked I just stand up as do the people behind me, simples.

I really don't understand what the fuss is about.

I was there. We as a block acted as I described. I ended up two rows nearer the pitch than when I started. It was awesome.

Never knowingly understood

Standing up at football on 11:13 - Aug 18 with 998 viewsTheBlob

I guess this is the way forward then?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Standing up at football on 11:18 - Aug 18 with 991 viewsdaveB

Boyzone made a career out of it
Standing up at football on 11:30 - Aug 18 with 977 viewsTheBlob

Standing up at football on 11:18 - Aug 18 by daveB

Boyzone made a career out of it

Road Rage ain't the same standing up.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024