Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? 13:53 - Sep 6 with 6390 viewsRAFCBLUE

Odd pub related debate - who is your favourite Rochdale number 4?

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 19:45 - Sep 7 with 1548 views442Dale

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 19:37 - Sep 7 by boromat

I always remember Hill as a 6 as well :-/ as a player still going for Peake as my fav number 4.

Hill got the 6 when squad numbers were introduced. Not that he'd remember.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 06:49 - Sep 8 with 1465 viewssweetcorn

Cav

/Thread.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 08:54 - Sep 8 with 1434 viewsnordenblue

Peake with ease in my time
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 09:38 - Sep 8 with 1425 viewsJumeirahDale

Yeah I think of 4 as a centre midfielder. These newfangled formations have buggered everything up!

1 - GK
2 - RB
3 - LB
4 - CM
5 - CB
6 - CB
7 - RM
8 - CM
9 - CF
10 - CF
11 - LM

Best number 4 - Jason Peake!
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 10:08 - Sep 8 with 1422 viewsdingdangblue

The main Number 4's since I started watching Dale in 85/86 up until squad numbers were introduced. S.Reid, I.McMahon, J.Smart, S.Holden, S.Mellish, A.Brown, C.Blundell, D.Martin, J.Deary, A.Johnson, K.Hill, A.Reed, J.Peake, T.Ford. My favourite would be Jason Peake. Still 2 of my favourite Dale goals were scored by Peakey - the majestic overhead kick at Halifax and his exquisite chip at home to Carlisle.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 12:41 - Sep 8 with 1385 viewsParkinsGimp

Peake
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 12:49 - Sep 8 with 1377 viewsRooleyblue

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 09:38 - Sep 8 by JumeirahDale

Yeah I think of 4 as a centre midfielder. These newfangled formations have buggered everything up!

1 - GK
2 - RB
3 - LB
4 - CM
5 - CB
6 - CB
7 - RM
8 - CM
9 - CF
10 - CF
11 - LM

Best number 4 - Jason Peake!

I remember it as:
1 - GK
2 - RB
3 - LB
4 - C-Half
5 - C-Half
6 - L- Half
7 - R-Wing
8 - Inside Right
9 - CF
10 - Inside Left
11 - L-Wing

I used to play left half at school wearing number 6, great days and proper positions.

Forgot to mention, we only used to have 1 sub, so you had to alter you tactics accordingly, not like today when you have a sub for every position.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 12:50]
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 13:23 - Sep 8 with 1355 viewsD_Alien

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 12:49 - Sep 8 by Rooleyblue

I remember it as:
1 - GK
2 - RB
3 - LB
4 - C-Half
5 - C-Half
6 - L- Half
7 - R-Wing
8 - Inside Right
9 - CF
10 - Inside Left
11 - L-Wing

I used to play left half at school wearing number 6, great days and proper positions.

Forgot to mention, we only used to have 1 sub, so you had to alter you tactics accordingly, not like today when you have a sub for every position.

[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 12:50]

These are the true original positions:

1 - Goalkeeper
2 - Right Back
3 - Left Back
4 - Right Half
5 - Centre Half
6 - Left Half
7 - Right Wing
8 - Inside Right
9 - Centre Forward
10 - Inside Left
11 - Left Wing

It was Alf Ramsey who changed the traditional English formation in 1966, probably in response to the German and Italian use of a "sweeper" (Beckenbauer, Faccheti) but he did so in a way which allowed much greater flexibility in all areas of the pitch, the forerunner to Dutch "total football".

[Post edited 8 Sep 2014 13:25]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 14:37 - Sep 8 with 1324 views1949er

vinny leech

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 22:50 - Sep 8 with 1249 viewsDaleView

Pity that no one remembers Joe Lynn from the late 50's. Hardly ever missed a penalty. Perhaps oap's don't do these sort of posts.
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 13:20 - Sep 9 with 1175 viewskrafty80

As the other person involved in the pre-match debate described by the OP, just a little more context: it was actually a heated debate about squad numbers, which I think have actually got out of hand. If I were in charge of football I'd ban squad numbers higher than 30 (no club really has a first team squad of 25 or more at any given time), allowing higher numbers only for youth teamers or emergency loans etc. Numbers would be sequential, so when a midfielder leaves the club mid-season and 8 becomes vacant, the next midfielder/forward to arrive gets 8. So Shamir Fenelon, who has irritated me by taking 45, would maybe have been 19 after GD. No leaving huge gaps in number uptake!

That then got us onto the thorny debate of 4 vs 6. I'm not saying my view is rational, indeed it is deliberately irrational. But given my choice, I'd make 6 a midfielder and 4 a central defender purely because I grew up watching Dale do the same thing in the era of Tony Brown, Peter Ward etc. That has continued on and off through the likes of Johnson and Holness to today, though admittedly it took a while for me to recall who Sean McGinty was and whether what he does is central defending!

Anyway it was fairly silly debate, but all good fun.
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 13:54 - Sep 9 with 1161 views442Dale

It's a fantastic debate. The only thing I can think about with Fenelon and 45 is that he could be a Balotelli fan and wants the same number. This is something particularly common amongst City/exCity/City fans and the no.39 Anelka first wore at Eastlands. It was quickly picked up by Craig Bellamy and has since been worn with various levels of distinction elsewhere by the likes of David Ball and our own Joe Bunney.

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 14:11 - Sep 9 with 1154 viewsdebbiesfella

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 22:50 - Sep 8 by DaleView

Pity that no one remembers Joe Lynn from the late 50's. Hardly ever missed a penalty. Perhaps oap's don't do these sort of posts.

I remember Joe Lynn but still go for Vinny Leach. Never realised how good he was till the following season when he was out injured and how we missed him.
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 14:39 - Sep 9 with 1143 viewsScunnydale

Got to be Peaky.

I grew up (or presume I did) fully in the 442 era, so number 4 to me would be a central midfielder. I suppose one of the reasons why teams persist with squad numbers is for replica kits. Imagine if we all bought Henderson tops with 40 on them and then soon after he changed to 11.

I'm not advocating this as a reason, and I'm sure it's more a problem at PL clubs than ours, but it could be an issue.
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 17:00 - Sep 9 with 1104 views442Dale

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 14:39 - Sep 9 by Scunnydale

Got to be Peaky.

I grew up (or presume I did) fully in the 442 era, so number 4 to me would be a central midfielder. I suppose one of the reasons why teams persist with squad numbers is for replica kits. Imagine if we all bought Henderson tops with 40 on them and then soon after he changed to 11.

I'm not advocating this as a reason, and I'm sure it's more a problem at PL clubs than ours, but it could be an issue.

During Peake's first spell I'm not sure he ever wore 4. At first it was predominantly 11 under Sutton before he then took 8 at the start of 94/95. It was then back to 11 a lot under Docherty after Deary arrived and claimed 8

Deary had a few appearance in the no.9 which was a shirt that bounced round loads of players under Docherty, inc quite a few midfielders: Deary, Stuart, Thompstone, Shaw, Darren Ryan, Moulden etc etc. all wore it with varying levels of distinction. This midfielder as a no.9 craziness continued when Michael Oliver had it as his squad number.

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 17:32 - Sep 9 with 1035 viewsmingthemerciless

One for the old timers here, Graham Cunliffe. Signed from Bolton in the early 1960's when they were having a clear out. Came on a free with bags of top flight experience, an absolute class player. He made defending look too easy. Also he was a good athlete who was very neat on the ball. Vinny Leech comes next in my view a real all round midfielder. Jason Peake was a great attacking player but not much of a defender.

Bobby Downes could look really good on his day. Perkins also was very good, still doing well at a higher level.

I can't say much about the recent crop of players as I don't go now.

[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 17:38]
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 18:20 - Sep 9 with 1010 viewsdavidab2202

I would probably go for Vinnie Leech,but totally agree about Cunliffe also other names to throw in for us old timers would be Jackie Grant and Stan Hepton.Also whilst not played at 4 but at 6 another big favourite of mine from the same era was Jimmy Thompson
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:19 - Sep 9 with 971 viewsmingthemerciless

Jimmy Thompson was a good creative player who played more in midfield. Cunliffe was brought in by Tony Collins to partner Ray Aspden in the centre of the defence. Aspden got everything in the air and Cunliffe got everything on the ground. He wasn't too bad at bringing the ball out of defence either.

It was another world then, Cunliffe had one great season and then turned down another contract, packed in altogether and opened a newsagents shop !

Correct if I'm wrong but didn't Alan Reeves wear the No 4 from time to time ? He'd be hard to beat in this competition.
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:30 - Sep 9 with 964 views442Dale

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:19 - Sep 9 by mingthemerciless

Jimmy Thompson was a good creative player who played more in midfield. Cunliffe was brought in by Tony Collins to partner Ray Aspden in the centre of the defence. Aspden got everything in the air and Cunliffe got everything on the ground. He wasn't too bad at bringing the ball out of defence either.

It was another world then, Cunliffe had one great season and then turned down another contract, packed in altogether and opened a newsagents shop !

Correct if I'm wrong but didn't Alan Reeves wear the No 4 from time to time ? He'd be hard to beat in this competition.

Nope. Almost always 5, though 2 a couple of times in his first season. He actually played right back wearing 5 quite a few times at the start of the season when Brown and Jones were the CH duo. Of course we had a striker as no.2 then as Sutton ripped up the numbering handbook.

Keeper apart, we lined up like this at the start of 91/92, try and guess the players:

5---------4--------6-------7
10------8--------3--------11
----------9-------2--------
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 20:35]

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:40 - Sep 9 with 957 viewsnordenblue

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:30 - Sep 9 by 442Dale

Nope. Almost always 5, though 2 a couple of times in his first season. He actually played right back wearing 5 quite a few times at the start of the season when Brown and Jones were the CH duo. Of course we had a striker as no.2 then as Sutton ripped up the numbering handbook.

Keeper apart, we lined up like this at the start of 91/92, try and guess the players:

5---------4--------6-------7
10------8--------3--------11
----------9-------2--------
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 20:35]

Butler and Reeves centre halfs, Whitehall and Milner 10,11?
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 20:43]
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:44 - Sep 9 with 950 views442Dale

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:40 - Sep 9 by nordenblue

I gave you the CHs! 10 & 11: No & no.

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:46 - Sep 9 with 945 viewsnordenblue

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:44 - Sep 9 by 442Dale

I gave you the CHs! 10 & 11: No & no.

Just checking! Im sure them 2 both played in that side but im bobins with player numbers tbf
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:48 - Sep 9 with 940 viewsroccydaleian

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:40 - Sep 9 by nordenblue

was 9 Flounders?
Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:49 - Sep 9 with 936 views442Dale

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:46 - Sep 9 by nordenblue

Just checking! Im sure them 2 both played in that side but im bobins with player numbers tbf

Butler featured more later on during that season. In fact, he took part in his own number/position farce, wearing no.11 (i think! Edit: Green Book agrees) and playing up front in the second leg of the League Cup tie v Coventry. It didn't work very well.
[Post edited 9 Sep 2014 21:07]

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:49 - Sep 9 with 932 views442Dale

Who is your favourite ever Rochdale number 4? on 20:48 - Sep 9 by roccydaleian

was 9 Flounders?

Aye.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024