Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If Ever There Was A Time 20:01 - Sep 27 with 14335 viewsrochedale

It must be now... that we actually invest in some serious professional quality marketing of our club. It's been said a million times the fact that the internal branding/marketing of our club leaves a lot to be desired. If it was ever worth spending a few quid, surely its now!

What a great season it is so far, long may it continue!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

If Ever There Was A Time on 16:31 - Sep 28 with 2845 viewsbennersdale

A great marketing idea would be to source various billboards on the town's major roads eg Manchester Rd, The bottom of whitworth rd junction on st Mary's gate. With advertisments showing say an action shot of maybe done or hendo just after scoring (I'm sure DY sporting has lots to choose from recently) with details of the next couple of home games. A statement could be used to catch the attention of drivers/pedestrians. An example could be 'get out of your armchairs and watch some real football'. Or something along those lines.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 16:33]

Hasta el valle abajo de la cerveza

If Ever There Was A Time on 16:37 - Sep 28 with 2834 viewsTVOS1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 16:31 - Sep 28 by bennersdale

A great marketing idea would be to source various billboards on the town's major roads eg Manchester Rd, The bottom of whitworth rd junction on st Mary's gate. With advertisments showing say an action shot of maybe done or hendo just after scoring (I'm sure DY sporting has lots to choose from recently) with details of the next couple of home games. A statement could be used to catch the attention of drivers/pedestrians. An example could be 'get out of your armchairs and watch some real football'. Or something along those lines.

Andrew Kelly once said at a forum the costs for this were extortionate.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

If Ever There Was A Time on 17:02 - Sep 28 with 2795 viewsbennersdale

If Ever There Was A Time on 16:37 - Sep 28 by TVOS1907

Andrew Kelly once said at a forum the costs for this were extortionate.

How about the smaller road side ones attached to lamp posts that advertise local firms etc. There's those ones that were promoting the feel shite festival which could be of use.

Hasta el valle abajo de la cerveza

If Ever There Was A Time on 18:19 - Sep 28 with 2730 viewsdaleythompson

We could start with the basics, by ensuring that each game is advertised properly at the ground. Then we need to be relentless in our pursuit of attracting new fans. Hit every pub, school, college, library, community centre, church, mosque and market in the town with promotional material. I know a few pubs have been very supportive in the past. In short we shouldn't be able to move without seeing Dale related material.

Somebody recently mentioned a bus service running from some of the firther parts pf town. I think this would be worth trialling. Say a service running up through Whitworth, Bacup then back via walsden, littleborough before heading to Spotland.

We must capitalise on our on-field success. I think with our attractive football fans would want to see more. It has to be worth a try!
If Ever There Was A Time on 18:21 - Sep 28 with 2727 viewsdaleythompson

We could start with the basics, by ensuring that each game is advertised properly at the ground. Then we need to be relentless in our pursuit of attracting new fans. Hit every pub, school, college, library, community centre, church, mosque and market in the town with promotional material. I know a few pubs have been very supportive in the past. In short we shouldn't be able to move without seeing Dale related material.

Somebody recently mentioned a bus service running from some of the further away parts of town. I think this would be worth trialling. Say a service running up through Whitworth, Bacup then back via walsden, littleborough before heading to Spotland.

We must capitalise on our on-field success. I think with our attractive football fans would want to see more. It has to be worth a try!
If Ever There Was A Time on 19:16 - Sep 28 with 2658 views1mark1

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:21 - Sep 28 by johndale

We need to open one of the empty shops in the town centre and ask the council not to charge business rates. Only real fans will trek to spotland to buy tickets etc. I also think the online shopping could do with an revamp.

I would agree it would be a good idea if the Dale could have a shop, but I would be totally against the Council giving business rate discounts to what is after all a professional private club. It's up to the club and or it's supporters to fund the Dale, not the tax payers as a whole. However the Council could and should help with things like football in the community, amateur football, getting kids involved in football and other sports, and if this ends up helping the Dale, the even better.

I sometimes wonder, how professional the club's board and staff are, or maybe they are too small in number and face a losing battle. EG it is still not clear if the club have actually offered all the money up front to buy the Council's shares and clear the debt, or are they hoping to restructure the debt.

At the end of the day, sadly Rochdale is a very low wage economy with high rates of unemployment, and a very high rate of people in zero hours employment, and many people have to juggle their finances around to look after their families. Even with a very cheap ticket or even free, there is still the cost of getting to the ground etc, though I do realise many just don't care, and they will never be won over. Concentrating on those that would be interested and finding ways to help them, is the way forward.

On a personal level, in the past few years I have struggled to attend as many games as I would like to have done, so have ended up having to listen to Radio Manchester, and follow this boards match threads, or on-line text services, as no longer do I pay for Dale player, but I would NEVER watch football on the tele rather than a live game at the Dale, just not as good.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

If Ever There Was A Time on 19:31 - Sep 28 with 2640 views442Dale

If Ever There Was A Time on 17:02 - Sep 28 by bennersdale

How about the smaller road side ones attached to lamp posts that advertise local firms etc. There's those ones that were promoting the feel shite festival which could be of use.

Talking of which, did the club do anything in conjunction with Feel Good Festival?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

If Ever There Was A Time on 19:58 - Sep 28 with 2583 viewsTVOS1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 19:31 - Sep 28 by 442Dale

Talking of which, did the club do anything in conjunction with Feel Good Festival?

Does lending out the tannoyman for the day count?

Login to get fewer ads

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:06 - Sep 28 with 2568 viewsrochedale

I think a good start would be an online campaign, maybe try Facebook, it's relatively cheap and you target your audience. We have just had fantastic results with this at work for minimal expense.

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:13 - Sep 28 with 2548 viewsBartRowou

Someone should phone the Orient in the morning and ask them how they manage to get 4,500 for a most unattractive fixture against us.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:13 - Sep 28 with 2546 views442Dale

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:06 - Sep 28 by rochedale

I think a good start would be an online campaign, maybe try Facebook, it's relatively cheap and you target your audience. We have just had fantastic results with this at work for minimal expense.

The social media side of things is quite good now. This needs to be part of an ongoing strategy incorporating other areas too.

The posters advertising individual games towards the end of the last season were good, why did these stop? They were retweeted in different places and garnered interest, simple to do too.

eg.

[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 20:19]

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:17 - Sep 28 with 2530 viewsTVOS1907

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:13 - Sep 28 by 442Dale

The social media side of things is quite good now. This needs to be part of an ongoing strategy incorporating other areas too.

The posters advertising individual games towards the end of the last season were good, why did these stop? They were retweeted in different places and garnered interest, simple to do too.

eg.

[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 20:19]

Good point, 442.

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:36 - Sep 28 with 2496 viewsrochedale

I don't just mean the groups on Facebook or tweets on twitter. To recieve those you have to like or follow, which means you are already likely to be a fan and attending. Not taking anything away from these but I feel a PPC campaign could be of benefit.

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:38 - Sep 28 with 2488 views442Dale

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:36 - Sep 28 by rochedale

I don't just mean the groups on Facebook or tweets on twitter. To recieve those you have to like or follow, which means you are already likely to be a fan and attending. Not taking anything away from these but I feel a PPC campaign could be of benefit.

Ah right, not totally sure how that works, could you explain?

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:44 - Sep 28 with 2480 viewsrochedale

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:38 - Sep 28 by 442Dale

Ah right, not totally sure how that works, could you explain?

Will try, however my knowledge of this is minimal. So you have adverts on Facebook, these ads show on your timeline and are targeted to you due to your browsing history, geographics, age etc, etc. Those who the adverts belong to have chosen which demographic to target. The costs relate to how many click on the add (PPC (pay per click)). I am sure others could elaborate more.

If Ever There Was A Time on 21:06 - Sep 28 with 2248 viewsisitme

The club could pay Facebook to display a specific advert for each game to a set demographic. To use an simplified example show an advert promoting the Barnsley game to 3000 people in the Rochdale area who have mentioned football in their profile and/or posts once a day until Friday. This does not have to be PPC unless the advert contains a link to information on the website or maybe an offer? Although printing vouchers etc is a pain in the arse for many people. PPC might work well if we had eticketing set up, although this would be better suited to all ticket games.

It is an interesting idea to at least try for a couple of games. The exact demographic to target would be important to make it worthwhile.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 21:09]
If Ever There Was A Time on 12:22 - Sep 29 with 2144 viewsParkinsGimp

Hows about volunteers outside supermarkets on the morning of a game giving out leaflets and just trying to encourage the saturday shoppers to turn up at Spotland in the afternoon instead of them going home and watching sky sports news 1
If Ever There Was A Time on 19:20 - Sep 29 with 1943 viewsalex_roch39

If Ever There Was A Time on 10:31 - Sep 28 by TVOS1907

And, as I asked at the time, why is the £5 voucher restricted to just one midweek game in September? It makes no sense at all.

The fact there were 1800 Dale fans in the ground tells me hardly any were used. I know I still have mine.
[Post edited 28 Sep 2014 10:45]

Why don't we offer the bring a friend for a fiver when we play the big games such as Oldham? People want to come to the big games, nobody is interested in coming to Walsall at home on a Tuesday night, whether it's a fiver or not. I gave my voucher to a friend that comes to the games anyway, so it doesn't really do anything to promote new fans.
If Ever There Was A Time on 20:13 - Sep 29 with 1885 viewsTVOS1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 19:20 - Sep 29 by alex_roch39

Why don't we offer the bring a friend for a fiver when we play the big games such as Oldham? People want to come to the big games, nobody is interested in coming to Walsall at home on a Tuesday night, whether it's a fiver or not. I gave my voucher to a friend that comes to the games anyway, so it doesn't really do anything to promote new fans.

Oldham is the sort of fixture that will attract a larger crowd whatever the cost, so it doesn't make sense to reduce the takings from those who pay on the day, especially when we'll be faced with a huge police bill.

I still don't understand why it has to be restricted to a particular night game, though.

If Ever There Was A Time on 21:40 - Sep 29 with 1835 viewsYouTubeDale

Rochdale is a poor town due to lack of industry/commerce/government jobs including NHS, etc,etc. It follows that we have more than our fair share of unemployed and people on credits. Low income individuals and families. The club should be targeting this group of people. Offer them entry,for example £5, if they show relevant ID. The club benefits by an increased gate and hopefully a better atmosphere. Have a target to reach by Christmas, say 300 which can always be increased if need be. Have a temporary presence outside the job centre, for example, to advertise the fact we are making a very good offer to low income Rochdalians. Advertise it in the Observer. Knock on doors in the less well off areas to spread the word - any way to get the message across. Perhaps even offer £5 family tickets to this group. There could be a lot of mileage in this, but it also needs hard work.

So, recognise where we are and do something about it.

Or, put another way, what are we doing currently to target this part of Rochdale's population (and it is a big number) ????

This is not to say we stop other marketing initiatives for other parts of our target audience.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

If Ever There Was A Time on 21:54 - Sep 29 with 1818 views442Dale

If Ever There Was A Time on 20:13 - Sep 29 by TVOS1907

Oldham is the sort of fixture that will attract a larger crowd whatever the cost, so it doesn't make sense to reduce the takings from those who pay on the day, especially when we'll be faced with a huge police bill.

I still don't understand why it has to be restricted to a particular night game, though.

Maybe it can be a question for the next Trust meeting with the board.

If Ever There Was A Time on 22:23 - Sep 29 with 1780 viewsTVOS1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 21:54 - Sep 29 by 442Dale

Maybe it can be a question for the next Trust meeting with the board.

It would be rhetorical.

If Ever There Was A Time on 22:34 - Sep 29 with 1766 viewsnordenblue

Is it because the club see it is notoriously a poorly attended game being a night game against a smaller named club so any improvement is a positive?
I agree totally though it should be rolled out for a number of games even weekend matches
If Ever There Was A Time on 22:34 - Sep 29 with 1766 viewsnordenblue

Edit double post
[Post edited 29 Sep 2014 22:35]
If Ever There Was A Time on 22:43 - Sep 29 with 1741 viewsRAFC1907

If Ever There Was A Time on 16:31 - Sep 28 by bennersdale

This is what is needed, and your locations are a great choice.

The problem, is and it may sound harsh, as I dont believe for one minute we could not afford to advertise, people are damn right lazy and simply cant be bothered.

For the club to turn around and say it's too expensive, then good luck trying to purchase the stadium from the council.

Whats wrong with giving 2500 free tickets to 14-18 year olds at schools/college every home game??

Poll: Bottomley...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024