Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jimi Hendrix 02:48 - Oct 11 with 3574 viewsSonofNorfolt

He was good wasn't he?
Jimi Hendrix on 09:57 - Oct 12 with 848 viewsSomersetHoops

I saw Jimmi live three times. Twice he was very good, one time he was not at his best due to drugs I suppose. He was fantastic and a real innovator with sounds and technique. He was on one week with Clapton and cream on the following week at the time he was way better IMHO than Clapton. I think Eric has developed since then, but it's really sad that we can't see what Hendrix would have done with his exceptional talent.

Who's Next?

Jimi Hendrix on 12:40 - Oct 12 with 813 viewssmegma

Jimi Hendrix on 21:13 - Oct 11 by traininvain

Apparently Redknapp tried to sign him.

Was he the right sort though??
Jimi Hendrix on 13:37 - Oct 12 with 790 viewsTheBlob

Jimi Hendrix on 09:57 - Oct 12 by SomersetHoops

I saw Jimmi live three times. Twice he was very good, one time he was not at his best due to drugs I suppose. He was fantastic and a real innovator with sounds and technique. He was on one week with Clapton and cream on the following week at the time he was way better IMHO than Clapton. I think Eric has developed since then, but it's really sad that we can't see what Hendrix would have done with his exceptional talent.

Sorry I don't subscribe to this urban myth that Hendrix blew Clapton away.Eric wasn't happy with jamming and for me,having seen both of them in the early days many times,he was much the more controlled player.
Anyway,neither of them could hold a blues candle to Peter Green,the only guitarist that "sent shivers down the spine" of BB King.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Jimi Hendrix on 14:40 - Oct 12 with 766 viewsted_hendrix

Jimi Hendrix on 13:37 - Oct 12 by TheBlob

Sorry I don't subscribe to this urban myth that Hendrix blew Clapton away.Eric wasn't happy with jamming and for me,having seen both of them in the early days many times,he was much the more controlled player.
Anyway,neither of them could hold a blues candle to Peter Green,the only guitarist that "sent shivers down the spine" of BB King.

That's an interesting post re Clapton, I never quite understood the slight animosity towards Clapton (otherwise known stupidly as 'God' in the early days).
For me he is an outstanding Blues guitarist, he's got everything in his locker.
I agree wholeheartedly about Peter Green, but for me my favourite British guitarist is the hardly ever mentioned Paul Kossoff, that's just me though I used to love to watch him play, he could hold and move a note for ever, died far to early it was him and not Paul Rodgers that made Free the excellent band they were, no disrespect to the marvellous singing voice of Paul Rodgers.
There's an area of leafy Surrey that spurned three superb guitarists, Beck-Page and of course Clapton, who'd have thought that, hardly the Delta is it?

The solo that Jimi does in "Are You Experienced" is quite literally out of this World, I never tire of hearing it, nor his live version of "Like A Rolling Stone"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Jimi Hendrix on 14:45 - Oct 12 with 764 viewsalhoopy

fantastic back in his day..when guitar solos used to be fashionable and acceptable
Jimi Hendrix on 15:01 - Oct 12 with 760 viewsTheBlob

Jimi Hendrix on 14:40 - Oct 12 by ted_hendrix

That's an interesting post re Clapton, I never quite understood the slight animosity towards Clapton (otherwise known stupidly as 'God' in the early days).
I agree wholeheartedly about Peter Green, but for me my favourite British guitarist is the hardly ever mentioned Paul Kossoff, that's just me though I used to love to watch him play, he could hold and move a note for ever, died far to early it was him and not Paul Rodgers that made Free the excellent band they were, no disrespect to the marvellous singing voice of Paul Rodgers.
There's an area of leafy Surrey that spurned three superb guitarists, Beck-Page and of course Clapton, who'd have thought that, hardly the Delta is it?

The solo that Jimi does in "Are You Experienced" is quite literally out of this World, I never tire of hearing it, nor his live version of "Like A Rolling Stone"

Spot on.This whole rivalry thing and the ill advised polls that came out - who was the best guitarist - were very much contrived childs of their time.All of those musicians had tremendous respect for one another,and because there was so much cross polination we ended up with some pretty sensational stuff.
I t was a wonderful time to be around,all these exotic black blues players coming to Sarf London and teaching/being influenced by young British guys.
Jimi was the cherry on the icing on the cake.
There wasn't an ounce of animosity or spitefulness that you get today.If ever there was a Brotherhood in music that transcended class and race it was that.
There must have been something in the water that produced all that talent at the same time.But having said that,Jimi was definitely "one of ours" and we took a kind of joyous pride seeing him tear up Monterey - the faces in the crowd!.

Jimi Hendrix on 15:30 - Oct 12 with 746 viewsPunteR

Jimi Hendrix on 14:40 - Oct 12 by ted_hendrix

My dad had Peter Green round his flat in Putney loads. Green was good mates with my dads brother and started one of his first bands with him. Peter Green gave an interview when he first started making a come back about 12 years ago, said my uncle was a big influence on him!
This blew my dad away when he heard it as my uncle died a couple of months before. My Uncle used to go and visit Green in Richmond to try rekindle their friendship and help him out, but Green was too out of his mind. Acid man, messes' with your head.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Jimi Hendrix on 17:15 - Oct 12 with 728 viewsTheBlob

Jimi Hendrix on 15:30 - Oct 12 by PunteR

My dad had Peter Green round his flat in Putney loads. Green was good mates with my dads brother and started one of his first bands with him. Peter Green gave an interview when he first started making a come back about 12 years ago, said my uncle was a big influence on him!
This blew my dad away when he heard it as my uncle died a couple of months before. My Uncle used to go and visit Green in Richmond to try rekindle their friendship and help him out, but Green was too out of his mind. Acid man, messes' with your head.

Good stuff,sorry to hear about your uncle.
Richmond was pivotal in the british blues boom - The Crawdaddy and Eel Pie Island.Both exotic locations.

Login to get fewer ads

Jimi Hendrix on 17:57 - Oct 12 with 703 viewsjohncharles

Peter Green was a friend of a friend so I got to see a fair bit during the early years. Stunning and in my opinion, the best.
The most underrated guitarist has to be Michael Bloomfield. His solo on "Got a mind to give up living" with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band could have been Peter Green himself.
On his album "If you love these blues...." he plays tributes to everyone from BB King to Lonnie Johnson! Don't know anyone else who attempt Lonnie Johnson.

Strong and stable my arse.

Jimi Hendrix on 18:30 - Oct 12 with 692 viewsTheBlob

Jimi Hendrix on 17:57 - Oct 12 by johncharles

Peter Green was a friend of a friend so I got to see a fair bit during the early years. Stunning and in my opinion, the best.
The most underrated guitarist has to be Michael Bloomfield. His solo on "Got a mind to give up living" with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band could have been Peter Green himself.
On his album "If you love these blues...." he plays tributes to everyone from BB King to Lonnie Johnson! Don't know anyone else who attempt Lonnie Johnson.

I'll agree with Bloomfield.I remember him coming over to discover "The Clapton Sound".The guitar component of which he already had - eventually a '59 Les Paul Standard(the lost holy grail of guitars) - and was introduced to Marshall amplification.He did an EP with John Mayall.Great stuff with Electric Flag and my favourite with Johnny Winter.Sad loss the pair of them.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2014 18:32]

Jimi Hendrix on 19:13 - Oct 12 with 674 viewsFredManRave

I want to add one of his live albums to my spotify play list. Simple question. Which is the best one?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Jimi Hendrix on 19:22 - Oct 12 with 665 viewsjohncharles

One more thing about Michael Bloomfield, he was the guitarist on Highway 61 and with Dylan on his first electric tour.

Strong and stable my arse.

Jimi Hendrix on 19:54 - Oct 12 with 648 viewsTheBlob

Jimi Hendrix on 19:22 - Oct 12 by johncharles

One more thing about Michael Bloomfield, he was the guitarist on Highway 61 and with Dylan on his first electric tour.

Wasn't that band essentially the Paul Butterfield Blues band - Mark Naftalin etc.?Got the Dylan purists all worked up.

Jimi Hendrix on 19:59 - Oct 12 with 646 viewsTheBlob

Jimi Hendrix on 19:13 - Oct 12 by FredManRave

I want to add one of his live albums to my spotify play list. Simple question. Which is the best one?!

War Heroes was pretty good.

Jimi Hendrix on 20:12 - Oct 12 with 644 viewsPunteR

Jimi Hendrix on 17:15 - Oct 12 by TheBlob

Good stuff,sorry to hear about your uncle.
Richmond was pivotal in the british blues boom - The Crawdaddy and Eel Pie Island.Both exotic locations.

Yes, The Bull and Bush opposite the station used to get the Stones,Face's,loads of others playing there. Way before my time, although I managed to get myself barred from most drinking establishments in Richmond unfortunately back in the 90s,which is sort of rock n roll i spose.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Jimi Hendrix on 01:03 - Oct 13 with 545 viewsBluce_Ree

Jimi Hendrix on 19:13 - Oct 12 by FredManRave

Get 'The Jimi Hendrix Concerts.'

The live version of Hear My Train A Coming is STUNNING.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Jimi Hendrix on 04:08 - Oct 13 with 531 viewsFredManRave

Jimi Hendrix on 01:03 - Oct 13 by Bluce_Ree

Get 'The Jimi Hendrix Concerts.'

The live version of Hear My Train A Coming is STUNNING.

Cheers Bluce.

Couldn't actually find "The Jimi Hendrix Concerts" so I added, predictably, Woodstock and IOW and also Fillmore as that has "Hear My Train A Comin".

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Jimi Hendrix on 08:41 - Oct 13 with 511 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Talking of how good Jimi would have been and what he'd be doing now.

I really wonder how good Randy Rhodes would have gotten combining Classical with rock.

Guess he would have invented symphonic metal.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024