Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'man marker' 03:13 - Nov 29 with 3245 viewsbarabajagal

Folks I have to admit, I have very little knowledge or understanding about the modern game, but I am sure that if we had had someone with pace and guile man marking Aguero three weeks back, we may have had all three points. I remember being told by non-QPR fans that we had the best 'man marker' in the sport in Danny Maddix. My questions are these. Do man markers still exist? If not, why not, and could we employ one? (Genuine questions if any one can offer insight).
The 'man marker' on 04:26 - Nov 29 with 3224 viewsHooparoo

Surely Karl "The enforcer" Henry could do a man marking job if needed.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

The 'man marker' on 10:06 - Nov 29 with 3095 viewsLblock

Danny Maddix was the finest purveyor of this "anti-skill" in the game.
I loved that CB partnership of him and Macca and him and Parker and him and Peackock...... basically he made other players he played with look great.

He'd be a shoe in for England honours now and deserves legendary status.

Was it Ian Wright who was red hot at the time and was completely marked out of the game at THAT match at Highbury who said afterwards "I went into the showers after the game and Danny was there next to me again, I expected him to be in the pasenger seat of my car on the way home -- he never gave me a second that day"

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

The 'man marker' on 10:17 - Nov 29 with 3078 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

The 'man marker' on 10:06 - Nov 29 by Lblock

Danny Maddix was the finest purveyor of this "anti-skill" in the game.
I loved that CB partnership of him and Macca and him and Parker and him and Peackock...... basically he made other players he played with look great.

He'd be a shoe in for England honours now and deserves legendary status.

Was it Ian Wright who was red hot at the time and was completely marked out of the game at THAT match at Highbury who said afterwards "I went into the showers after the game and Danny was there next to me again, I expected him to be in the pasenger seat of my car on the way home -- he never gave me a second that day"

The least arseholey type thing Wright have ever said.

A man marker might mean we don't have a full back four, I'm sure it's employed from time to time but guess the idea was not the spread ourselves too thinly, and paid for it by giving him too much room.
The 'man marker' on 10:30 - Nov 29 with 3063 viewsCamberleyR

Paolo Rossi's goals were important but Italy arguably won a World Cup employing a man marker, the fearsome and notorious Claudio Gentile. In 1982 he didn't give Maradona and Zico, the best two players in the world a kick in their second round matches. Maradona got so frustrated he lashed out and was sent off.

I don't know why it seems to have died out in the modern game. If the opposition has a dangerous player, surely if you starve them the ball by employing a man marker, they can't hurt you and may not win the game.

As Michael Sheen's Brian Clough says in the Damned United film when asked about how they were going to deal with QPR in the next match at Elland Road, "stop Stan Bowles and you stop QPR". Didn't work in that game though as we won 1-0!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2014 10:38]

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

The 'man marker' on 10:58 - Nov 29 with 3050 viewsbarabajagal

The 'man marker' on 10:30 - Nov 29 by CamberleyR

Paolo Rossi's goals were important but Italy arguably won a World Cup employing a man marker, the fearsome and notorious Claudio Gentile. In 1982 he didn't give Maradona and Zico, the best two players in the world a kick in their second round matches. Maradona got so frustrated he lashed out and was sent off.

I don't know why it seems to have died out in the modern game. If the opposition has a dangerous player, surely if you starve them the ball by employing a man marker, they can't hurt you and may not win the game.

As Michael Sheen's Brian Clough says in the Damned United film when asked about how they were going to deal with QPR in the next match at Elland Road, "stop Stan Bowles and you stop QPR". Didn't work in that game though as we won 1-0!
[Post edited 29 Nov 2014 10:38]

Hmmm, So it is now considered a negative concept, a luxury that cannot be afforded in today's fast paced game. I still believe that had we put someone a yard next to Aguero throughout the City game, we'd have won. It may even have frustrated him and led to a sending off, (or more likely he'd keep throwing himself to the floor, and our man would have seen red). Maybe it's time for a return of this concept. What is the over riding skill they would have though? Pace and an ability to read the game I guess. They would have to spend all week studying their man, finding their weaknesses, dealing with their strengths. A little like a boxer. I've convinced my-self. bring back the 'man-marker'.
The 'man marker' on 11:00 - Nov 29 with 3043 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

The 'man marker' on 10:58 - Nov 29 by barabajagal

Hmmm, So it is now considered a negative concept, a luxury that cannot be afforded in today's fast paced game. I still believe that had we put someone a yard next to Aguero throughout the City game, we'd have won. It may even have frustrated him and led to a sending off, (or more likely he'd keep throwing himself to the floor, and our man would have seen red). Maybe it's time for a return of this concept. What is the over riding skill they would have though? Pace and an ability to read the game I guess. They would have to spend all week studying their man, finding their weaknesses, dealing with their strengths. A little like a boxer. I've convinced my-self. bring back the 'man-marker'.

It should've been Barton!
The 'man marker' on 11:05 - Nov 29 with 3035 viewsTGRRRSSS

Pabs if Barton did that role he'd get sent off simply cos he's Barton.

I see the point though partly why this man marking thing has gone out of game is cos the importance of structure in a team today and it's Chess style of moving pieces around in effect to create space where a mistake can be made leading to a goal, if you have one player chasing round one specific player surely todays side's would find more ways through.
However City are somewhat reliant on Aguero so maybe as a tactic for certain games...
The 'man marker' on 11:40 - Nov 29 with 3000 viewsCamberleyR

I'm surprised more teams didn't try it with Taarabt in our Championship winning season as he was head and shoulders the best player in the division.

Login to get fewer ads

The 'man marker' on 12:28 - Nov 29 with 2943 viewsJigsore

The 'man marker' on 11:40 - Nov 29 by CamberleyR

I'm surprised more teams didn't try it with Taarabt in our Championship winning season as he was head and shoulders the best player in the division.

I'm pretty sure they did but most of them didn't have a player with enough nous to deal with him

I do remember that bloody game against Derby where Robbie Savage completely marked Taarabt out of the game though. Think it ended 0-0.
[Post edited 29 Nov 2014 12:29]

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

The 'man marker' on 12:42 - Nov 29 with 2920 viewsingeminate

The 'man marker' on 12:28 - Nov 29 by Jigsore

I'm pretty sure they did but most of them didn't have a player with enough nous to deal with him

I do remember that bloody game against Derby where Robbie Savage completely marked Taarabt out of the game though. Think it ended 0-0.

Karl Ready did an unexpectedly good job marking Alan shearer once, based on that anything is possible.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

The 'man marker' on 14:54 - Nov 29 with 2848 viewsCamberleyR

The 'man marker' on 12:28 - Nov 29 by Jigsore

Yes and he never shut bragging about it for ages afterwards saying AT was "still in his pocket".

The 'man marker' on 17:02 - Nov 29 with 2818 viewsqprmeath

Adel wouldn't fit in his pocket now
The 'man marker' on 20:05 - Nov 29 with 2701 viewsterryb

And Gary Waddock was superb as a man to man marker in midfield.

Nobody could shake him off.
The 'man marker' on 02:42 - Nov 30 with 2564 viewsbarabajagal

Thanks every one, there seems that there might be a reasonable call to bring this little lamented position back. As long as it is against a team that has one outstanding player, and providing we have a player with the intelligence and pace to do the job. Great win today, without a man-marker...

Nik
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024