Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. 12:05 - May 9 with 7847 viewsJackfath

She added: "The people of Scotland have spoken. They have placed their trust in the SNP to represent them in Westminster as well as Holyrood.

"These 56 SNP MPs will represent the interests of all in Scotland."

She called the SNP's victory in Scotland "unprecedented" in UK politics and added: "People voted for an SNP manifesto that had ending austerity as its number one priority. That is the priority these men and women will now take to the very heart of the Westminster agenda.

"It cannot and will not be business as usual when it comes to Westminster's dealing with Scotland.

"My message today to Westminster is this - Scotland's voice will be heard in Westminster now more loudly than it has ever been before."

Wales - soon to be a marginalised third world country. Why oh why are the Welsh so slow to wake up to what is going on.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:32 - May 9 with 959 viewsexiledclaseboy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 13:41 - May 9 by C_jack

There's no such thing as the 'bedroom tax', it's called the under-occupancy charge, and was a fair idea in principle, but implemented badly.

You think we'd have less food banks with Plaid Cymru in power? We'd have many, many more.

How would you have implemented the under-occupancy charge differently?

Poll: Tory leader

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:38 - May 9 with 943 viewswaynekerr55

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:32 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

Jumped in a tardis, go back in time and adapt the original right to buy legislation so that some of the money was ring fenced to buy land to replace lost stock

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:42 - May 9 with 934 viewsjeza739

I consider myself as welsh as anyone but the thought of Plaid Cymru having anything to do with running Wales truly frightens me. I wouldn't trust them to run a bath let alone run Wales
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:46 - May 9 with 928 viewsC_jack

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:24 - May 9 by scottishjack

I can see your point, but I'll give you a quick example from experience. Good friend of mine was absolutely dismal at school, not academic in any way, shape or form, but by the age of 14 he could strip and rebuild an engine with ease.

He didn't want to be at school, and the teachers, despite their best efforts were fighting a losing battle. A perfect example of a guy who knew what he wanted to do (mechanics), and would have been better off at 14 years old being allowed to work towards qualifications in something that interested him, than being forced to sit in a classroom.

Still very good friends to this day, and he works in engineering! Arguments for both sides on this one.

The problem is you can't make decisions with lifelong consequences like that at 14. "That boy likes cars, lets throw him into an motor repair apprenticeship". It's pigeon holing to a very dangerous degree

What happens 10, or even 20 years later if they decide that they want a change in direction? They'll most certainly have to go to night school to get a Math and English GSCE, something they should have had routinely as a 16 year old.

Although I agree post 16 there should be far more options in regards to trade and business apprenticeships

Every 16 year old should have basic Maths, English and Science GSCE's
[Post edited 9 May 2015 15:47]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:48 - May 9 with 925 viewsexiledclaseboy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:38 - May 9 by waynekerr55

Jumped in a tardis, go back in time and adapt the original right to buy legislation so that some of the money was ring fenced to buy land to replace lost stock

You're a genius mush. Because it's the only way the "bedroom tax" was ever going to work, even though I fundamentally disagree that it's "fair". You should take up politics.

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:50 - May 9 with 919 viewsHighjack

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:42 - May 9 by jeza739

I consider myself as welsh as anyone but the thought of Plaid Cymru having anything to do with running Wales truly frightens me. I wouldn't trust them to run a bath let alone run Wales

I think Lohegrin put it perfectly when he described Lovely Leanne's politics as beggars bowl politics.

They've done absolutely nothing to attract the votes of Welsh people.

For the self styled "Party of Wales" to be the fourth biggest party in Wales in terms of vote share is absolutely shambolic and they need to have a good look at themselves, rip up everything they have been doing and going in a completely different direction.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:52 - May 9 with 911 viewsC_jack

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:32 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

I don't pretend to have any idea about the intricacies of these things

But surely there's a better way to thoroughly evaluate that some people are in housing that is far too large for their needs, if they refuse to co-operate by moving into smaller dwellings then they should be hit with the charge.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:57 - May 9 with 907 viewsJackfath

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:11 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

Given that is how you would work out things like compound interest rates / APR type stuff, then I would suggest that everyone should know. Not for work. For life skills.

Dear God.

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think people sit down and work out their interest rates, APR type stuff.

Many 16 year olds leaving school today can barely write their names on a straight line.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Login to get fewer ads

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:58 - May 9 with 907 viewsexiledclaseboy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:52 - May 9 by C_jack

I don't pretend to have any idea about the intricacies of these things

But surely there's a better way to thoroughly evaluate that some people are in housing that is far too large for their needs, if they refuse to co-operate by moving into smaller dwellings then they should be hit with the charge.

You've missed the entire point of the problem with the "bedroom tax". It was designed to force people who maybe don't need three bedroom (for example) any more into smaller properties. The whole problem is there are nowhere near enough of the smaller houses for these people to move into.

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 16:00 - May 9 with 906 viewsJackfath

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:58 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

You've missed the entire point of the problem with the "bedroom tax". It was designed to force people who maybe don't need three bedroom (for example) any more into smaller properties. The whole problem is there are nowhere near enough of the smaller houses for these people to move into.

We could build loads of terraced 2 up 2 down type housing on brown field sites in Wales. Build some corner shops, a chippy, pub, community centre and a park or two and hey presto!

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 16:01 - May 9 with 903 viewsPozuelosSideys

How about people wait and see what further mess teh SNP create in Scotland before suggesting the likes of Plaid gain control of Wales?

Its easy to point fingers and suggest the grass is always greener, but now the SNP have pretty much full control in Scotland, they dont really have anyone else to blame if it goes tits up.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 16:03 - May 9 with 899 viewsexiledclaseboy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 16:00 - May 9 by Jackfath

We could build loads of terraced 2 up 2 down type housing on brown field sites in Wales. Build some corner shops, a chippy, pub, community centre and a park or two and hey presto!

That was essentially one of UKIP's flagship policies from their manifesto. And not a bad one either, I hasten to add.

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:20 - May 9 with 858 viewswaynekerr55

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:48 - May 9 by exiledclaseboy

You're a genius mush. Because it's the only way the "bedroom tax" was ever going to work, even though I fundamentally disagree that it's "fair". You should take up politics.

Nah mate. I discussed this in work the other day. I'm too much of a political hypocrite (swinging left and right) to find a party 😀😀😀😀

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:22 - May 9 with 854 viewsexiledclaseboy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:20 - May 9 by waynekerr55

Nah mate. I discussed this in work the other day. I'm too much of a political hypocrite (swinging left and right) to find a party 😀😀😀😀

That never stopped Churchill. Britain has rarely had more of a political prostitute than him and it didn't do his reputation any harm.

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:24 - May 9 with 851 viewsjohnlangy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 13:42 - May 9 by dgt73

Million people use food banks ????????????????

700,000 then.
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:27 - May 9 with 848 viewsjohnlangy

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 13:58 - May 9 by trampie

Yescomeon I used to write years ago that the UK was on the verge of breaking up, I was dismissed as a crank by some thicko's that could not see the potential, but everyone is talking about it now and there has been a referendum that was very close against all the odds since then, I always thought the Scots would go at the second time of asking [just like Wales voting for an Assembly at the second time of asking], not many would argue against that scenario happening now.

The reason I was writing about the break up of the UK was the prospect of perpetual Tory Governments, Scotland and Wales will not like that, it would not be some sort of cultural thing, but a political one the Celtic countries won't like perpetual right wing Tory Governments, Scotland has woken up to Labour being red Tories so they will not accept red or blue Tory policies if they can help it.

Wales has 22% of the population not born in Wales [Scotland only has 9%] they nearly all come from England, loads of that English immigrant population are happy with Tory policies, Wales is overrun, its just the way it is, I have no problem with that but how culturally alike are they to Welsh people ?, not necessarily Welsh speakers but culturally Welsh people ?
Welsh people should have voted for Plaid they now will have to suffer Tory dog eat dog policies designed to look after people of a certain class mainly residing in the South of England.

Its nothing personal to our friends in England but Wales would be better off independent under the EU umbrella, we could sell our energy - water, electricity [most important commodity in the world], we could become a tax haven [don't know what the lovely Leanne would say about that but we could], we could become a tourist hot spot, mountains, sea and history [more castles per square mile than anywhere in the world].

Mrs Thatcher's legacy is developing all the time at the moment its the creation of new Labour in a few years it could be the break up of the UK as the beginning of the divide could be traced back to her reign.
[Post edited 9 May 2015 14:05]

Sorry. I've just started a thread asking something similar about perpetual Tory rule.
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:33 - May 9 with 835 views3swan

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 16:01 - May 9 by PozuelosSideys

How about people wait and see what further mess teh SNP create in Scotland before suggesting the likes of Plaid gain control of Wales?

Its easy to point fingers and suggest the grass is always greener, but now the SNP have pretty much full control in Scotland, they dont really have anyone else to blame if it goes tits up.

Much too early to say what the future will be.

Due to the referendum vote the Scots believed they had a viable party to vote for, other than the major 2.

That wasn't available for the rest of Britain
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:40 - May 9 with 817 viewsPozuelosSideys

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:33 - May 9 by 3swan

Much too early to say what the future will be.

Due to the referendum vote the Scots believed they had a viable party to vote for, other than the major 2.

That wasn't available for the rest of Britain

Thats my point though. At the moment, conditions could be far worse in this country - just look at other places in Europe who have taken a different route. Thats not to say there isnt lots which needs looking at and that could be improved here, particularly in certain areas.

But this pandering to Nationalism isnt a way forward, especially in the modern world where you have to play by the game financially otherwise you get left behind and cast off.

The SNP Independence manifesto was poor at the time, and we already have the hindsight that what it was based on was an oil place which has tanked. If they had got Independence, they would be right up shit creak and out with the begging bowl already. Different doesnt = better. Very often different = unknown and far, far worse as the infrastructure is not there, and all of a sudden youhave a power vacuum and lots of new agendas introduced with all tryiing to get a piece of the pie. Familiarity is safe and you know what you will be getting.

FWIW, i really hoped Scotland would stay, but now theyll become a weight around the rest of the nation who will probably be better cast off and given their Independence. Interesting times. But i dont want Wales to go down the same path.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:40 - May 9 with 817 viewslondonlisa2001

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:57 - May 9 by Jackfath

You are living in cloud cuckoo land if you think people sit down and work out their interest rates, APR type stuff.

Many 16 year olds leaving school today can barely write their names on a straight line.

I don't think people do. But that wasn't the point.

Your point was that people don't have a use for the knowledge - the implication, or assertion actually, being that there was little point in teaching it. I was pointing out that the knowledge is actually , in the example you gave, very useful to the life of almost every single person in the country.

Perhaps if more people did work out things like interest rates they wouldn't be at the mercy of the absolutely shocking practices of companies like Wonga, end up paying hundreds of pounds in interest without realising that they are going to have to, and would actually have more money in their pocket.

The fact that some can barely write their names is no reason for a lack of aspiration about the knowledge that they should have. People didn't leave school not being able to write their names in the forties and fifties and the population isn't getting more stupid, we are just expecting less of them. Drives me mental. That is the reason that this country is unfair - the aspiration and drive to make as much of yourself as possible is there in droves among the 'affluent' and is disappearing down the plughole elsewhere.

It's not all about teaching mediocrity because it's easy. We should be striving with every fibre of our bodies in the state education system to provide the kids with every possible scrap of knowledge. Of course there will be kids that don't 'get it' and we need to be able to provide alternatives for them, but there will be lots of kids that do 'get it'. Every child should have the opportunity to do what yescomeon is doing if that is what they want to do.

That's what is going to give Wales a fighting chance in the world, not moaning about what the Tories did to Wales in the 80s. We used to be renowned for our education in Wales - stop accepting second best.

Apologies for the rant but I know first hand what education can do to change people's lives and I get p*ssed off at the utter lack of ambition. And that's the problem with the current Plaid as well by the way. Total lack of ambition for anything other than getting one over on the 'rich'.
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:42 - May 9 with 815 views3swan

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 15:46 - May 9 by C_jack

The problem is you can't make decisions with lifelong consequences like that at 14. "That boy likes cars, lets throw him into an motor repair apprenticeship". It's pigeon holing to a very dangerous degree

What happens 10, or even 20 years later if they decide that they want a change in direction? They'll most certainly have to go to night school to get a Math and English GSCE, something they should have had routinely as a 16 year old.

Although I agree post 16 there should be far more options in regards to trade and business apprenticeships

Every 16 year old should have basic Maths, English and Science GSCE's
[Post edited 9 May 2015 15:47]

I agree that every 16 year old should have basic Maths and English, but it's been the case since my schooling a number of years ago, that pupils are taught the next level before they have understood the basics and then have less and less chance of a GSCE .

Pupils could lose 2 years of schooling opportunity between 14 and 16 that could be better used in making sure that the basics are there, exam result or not
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:44 - May 9 with 806 views3swan

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:40 - May 9 by PozuelosSideys

Thats my point though. At the moment, conditions could be far worse in this country - just look at other places in Europe who have taken a different route. Thats not to say there isnt lots which needs looking at and that could be improved here, particularly in certain areas.

But this pandering to Nationalism isnt a way forward, especially in the modern world where you have to play by the game financially otherwise you get left behind and cast off.

The SNP Independence manifesto was poor at the time, and we already have the hindsight that what it was based on was an oil place which has tanked. If they had got Independence, they would be right up shit creak and out with the begging bowl already. Different doesnt = better. Very often different = unknown and far, far worse as the infrastructure is not there, and all of a sudden youhave a power vacuum and lots of new agendas introduced with all tryiing to get a piece of the pie. Familiarity is safe and you know what you will be getting.

FWIW, i really hoped Scotland would stay, but now theyll become a weight around the rest of the nation who will probably be better cast off and given their Independence. Interesting times. But i dont want Wales to go down the same path.

Agree neither Scotland or Wales are big enough to go it alone.
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:47 - May 9 with 798 views100percentjack

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 13:36 - May 9 by Lord_Bony

The roaring lion of Scotland will now go into action ....the rest of the UK will have to give into its endless demands...to the cost of Wales and N.Ireland.

Like it or not this election will have repercussions for us..we are the runt of the litter and will be given the scraps of the lions share.

Unfortunately,I think we are now in a no win situation...we have to suck that tit of Westminster for as long as we can and take what we can get.

The alternative is we are too weak to stand on our own as we could not fund ourselves and self govern...it just could not be done financially we would end up like Albania in a few short years...

Westminsters tits are shrivelled and dry as far as Wales is concerned. We've made our decision and now come the consequences.
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 18:00 - May 9 with 767 viewsplasjack

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:47 - May 9 by 100percentjack

Westminsters tits are shrivelled and dry as far as Wales is concerned. We've made our decision and now come the consequences.

If only coal could be converted into a clean energy source similar to nuclear, Wales could solve much of its financial weakness.
A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 18:01 - May 9 with 764 viewsyescomeon

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 17:44 - May 9 by 3swan

Agree neither Scotland or Wales are big enough to go it alone.

Size isn't relevant. Plenty of small countries get on just fine; Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark. If there is a will for it, I think it can be done. Thing is there is no will for it.

Upthecity!

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 18:13 - May 9 with 739 views3swan

A massive kick up the arse for Wales and its people is needed. on 18:01 - May 9 by yescomeon

Size isn't relevant. Plenty of small countries get on just fine; Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Luxembourg, Denmark. If there is a will for it, I think it can be done. Thing is there is no will for it.

Iceland - Geographically on it's own and very small I agree

Luxembourg _ part of The E.U?

Norway - Gas & Oil

Maybe Denmark is the exception.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024