Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Highlights reality check 17:16 - Aug 20 with 5790 viewspomanjou

I am chuffed that we got the three points at Wolves and and I'll take a win against Rotherham hwever scrappy it may be, or otherwise.

but

The only difference between the teams was essentially the goalkeeping. They could have easily been three four ahead before we scored. Green had a generally very good game but the Wolves keeper had a mare and should have easily saved Phillips first and his second.

So lets hold fire on the plaudits for our' improved display' whilst accepting the points.

Sorry.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Highlights reality check on 17:19 - Aug 20 with 4844 viewsNorthernr

I'd agree with that, it could have been any score. But then Cardiff at home could easily have been 3-1 rather than 2-2 and people weren't afraid to reach for the pitch forks after that one.

Most Championship games are like that. 90 minutes of kick and rush and a result at the end that could easily have been the other way around. Just got to make sure you come out on the right side of it more often than not.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Highlights reality check on 18:07 - Aug 20 with 4713 viewsvegasranger

It was just nice to see the character of the team led by our best two players. There is some real promise there apart from the full backs.
Highlights reality check on 18:25 - Aug 20 with 4655 viewsCFW

Highlights reality check on 18:07 - Aug 20 by vegasranger

It was just nice to see the character of the team led by our best two players. There is some real promise there apart from the full backs.

Agree it was a great win and we should enjoy the moment. There were some very good performances from our new signings but the game was won by Green - some good saves, Phillips - two goals and an assist and The threat of Charlie along with a great headed goal.

Unfortunately none of these players will be here at the end of the month.
Highlights reality check on 18:36 - Aug 20 with 4598 viewsAntti_Heinola

So what you're saying, Pom, is, that we won because one of our players performed better than theirs, but overall it was about equal?
That's sort of how football works.

Bare bones.

Highlights reality check on 18:50 - Aug 20 with 4558 viewsrsonist

Highlights reality check on 18:25 - Aug 20 by CFW

Agree it was a great win and we should enjoy the moment. There were some very good performances from our new signings but the game was won by Green - some good saves, Phillips - two goals and an assist and The threat of Charlie along with a great headed goal.

Unfortunately none of these players will be here at the end of the month.

Agree, this is the true reality check. Encouraging signs all round but also a stark underlining of the task Ramsey will have to replace the star performers if and when they up sticks.
Highlights reality check on 09:22 - Aug 21 with 4267 viewspomanjou

Highlights reality check on 18:36 - Aug 20 by Antti_Heinola

So what you're saying, Pom, is, that we won because one of our players performed better than theirs, but overall it was about equal?
That's sort of how football works.

Hey Antti, yes even I know how it sort of works. But goalkeepers, even more than strikers can make or break a team. Against Wlves there keeper had a mare and ours made some outstanding saves and we still only won by one goal!

A few on here have been talking flowing footie with chery and llungo in particular sounding like world beaters after a loss a win and a draw. I hope they turn out that way but its early days.

I am hoping/expecting tomorrows game will be unequal with us winning comfortably.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2015 9:25]

Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Highlights reality check on 09:27 - Aug 21 with 4244 viewsloftus77

Highlights reality check on 18:50 - Aug 20 by rsonist

Agree, this is the true reality check. Encouraging signs all round but also a stark underlining of the task Ramsey will have to replace the star performers if and when they up sticks.

Great result obviously - but THIS
Highlights reality check on 10:00 - Aug 21 with 4172 viewsadhoc_qpr

I think the fact we created so many chances is a big positive, even if the goals were a bit scrappy.

It looks like we've got Smithies so Green is covered, but Phillips will be difficult to replace and Austin impossible without spending some serious money which we don't have/can't spend.

I think the best we can hope for is a couple of quality loan signings in the Kyle Walker/Andros Townsend mould i.e. young players wanting to make their mark.
Login to get fewer ads

Highlights reality check on 10:28 - Aug 21 with 4118 viewsGetMeRangers

Highlights reality check on 09:22 - Aug 21 by pomanjou

Hey Antti, yes even I know how it sort of works. But goalkeepers, even more than strikers can make or break a team. Against Wlves there keeper had a mare and ours made some outstanding saves and we still only won by one goal!

A few on here have been talking flowing footie with chery and llungo in particular sounding like world beaters after a loss a win and a draw. I hope they turn out that way but its early days.

I am hoping/expecting tomorrows game will be unequal with us winning comfortably.

I think it is, for some of us at least, the signs of green shoots. The result is a huge bonus and confidence boost, especially as the players understand that sticking to a game plan can pay off. Perhaps it may have the same effect the 2-2 with Derby in NW season

Yet it is the hope that, rather than playing hoofball or delivering the dire football under HR last time we were down, that QPR are now looking to play the ball on the floor and an attack minded game.

I know results matter, but I would happily watch games like this week in and week out even if we were losing. It was exhilarating stuff and if CR can continue to coach the side to play like this, while tightening up the defence, we will be treated to a wonderful entertaining season as well as a platform to build on.

I know he has his detractors and may well not be capable of delivering promotion for QPR, but it is the hope that CR is the answer to turn QPR around - delivering Old School QPR playing on the floor, discovering and developing young players and providing enough stability that we can push on to challenge for promotion at some point

I know I write like a schoolboy, (I am 50 in ten days!) but this season genuinely excites me in the way that Adel signing for the club did. Nothing is predictable this season. It is one of the things that attracts me to watch football and the club feels like underdogs again. That makes results at big clubs, with established and settled squads even sweeter
Highlights reality check on 10:42 - Aug 21 with 4093 viewsAntti_Heinola

yeah was being a bit facetious mate.
Keepers are really important, definitely. I thought he was only at fault for the 3rd though. The second went through the defenders legs, and although it was a dribbler he clearly just didn't see it until it was too late. He made a couple of decent saves too, especially Chery's free kick.
My opinion on the team is no different from what it was after Charlton - encouraging signs, but loads of work to be done. Patience needed. There was no need to panic after Charlton, there was no need to cry after Cardiff, but there's no need to think everything's going to be ok after Wolves either. A very, very long way to go.

Bare bones.

Highlights reality check on 10:44 - Aug 21 with 4086 viewssimmo

Highlights reality check on 10:28 - Aug 21 by GetMeRangers

I think it is, for some of us at least, the signs of green shoots. The result is a huge bonus and confidence boost, especially as the players understand that sticking to a game plan can pay off. Perhaps it may have the same effect the 2-2 with Derby in NW season

Yet it is the hope that, rather than playing hoofball or delivering the dire football under HR last time we were down, that QPR are now looking to play the ball on the floor and an attack minded game.

I know results matter, but I would happily watch games like this week in and week out even if we were losing. It was exhilarating stuff and if CR can continue to coach the side to play like this, while tightening up the defence, we will be treated to a wonderful entertaining season as well as a platform to build on.

I know he has his detractors and may well not be capable of delivering promotion for QPR, but it is the hope that CR is the answer to turn QPR around - delivering Old School QPR playing on the floor, discovering and developing young players and providing enough stability that we can push on to challenge for promotion at some point

I know I write like a schoolboy, (I am 50 in ten days!) but this season genuinely excites me in the way that Adel signing for the club did. Nothing is predictable this season. It is one of the things that attracts me to watch football and the club feels like underdogs again. That makes results at big clubs, with established and settled squads even sweeter

Agree with this, it's also why I MUCH prefer the Championship, so so much better than the Premier league, week in week out.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Highlights reality check on 10:47 - Aug 21 with 4076 viewsTHEBUSH

I agree with Northern on this, I've seen us outplay many teams in previous Championship games and we've come out losers and vice versa.

The encouraging thing for me is we've been creating as many or more chances than our opponents, so that's a positive.

If and when Phillips leaves, we have Mackie on the right as cover, Austin is another matter though
Highlights reality check on 11:11 - Aug 21 with 4044 viewsPinnerPaul

To be fair Kenny Jackett said in his post match comments, not an exact quote in case anyone gets pedantic!

"they had 10 shots on target and that's a win ususally"

We had 20 shots in total so the other 10 players MUST have been doing something right!

Soooooooo typical of on here to belittle a fine away win and say it was all down to oppo GK.

In reality ALL goals are from someone on oppo doing something wrong, so the OP is , putting it politely, a rather simplistic view I think!
Highlights reality check on 11:36 - Aug 21 with 4006 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Highlights reality check on 11:11 - Aug 21 by PinnerPaul

To be fair Kenny Jackett said in his post match comments, not an exact quote in case anyone gets pedantic!

We had 20 shots in total so the other 10 players MUST have been doing something right!

Soooooooo typical of on here to belittle a fine away win and say it was all down to oppo GK.

In reality ALL goals are from someone on oppo doing something wrong, so the OP is , putting it politely, a rather simplistic view I think!

Twenty chances away from home deserves a win. Ten on target as well.
Highlights reality check on 11:53 - Aug 21 with 3969 viewspomanjou

Highlights reality check on 11:11 - Aug 21 by PinnerPaul

I'm not belittling at all. I said I was chuffed with the win. If all goals come from someone doing something wrong then Green shouldn't have bothered to try for Cardiff's equaliser last weekend. It was a great strike and Green was not 'at fault'.

Highlights reality check on 11:58 - Aug 21 with 3947 viewswgchoop

What I don't like is all the talk of "rolling over "Rotherham on Saturday this isn't How we should be thinking, hoping to win yes,thinking its a full blown conclusion is what sets us up for all the negativity afterwords like Charlton. This is the championship and i think the old saying of"anyone can beat anyone" particularly applies in this division.
Highlights reality check on 12:07 - Aug 21 with 3926 viewsadhoc_qpr

Highlights reality check on 11:58 - Aug 21 by wgchoop

What I don't like is all the talk of "rolling over "Rotherham on Saturday this isn't How we should be thinking, hoping to win yes,thinking its a full blown conclusion is what sets us up for all the negativity afterwords like Charlton. This is the championship and i think the old saying of"anyone can beat anyone" particularly applies in this division.

True, although i think we'd all like to see some kind of consistency in how we perform.

So doesn't matter if we don't win on Saturday, as long as we are playing decent football and creating chances.
Highlights reality check on 12:08 - Aug 21 with 3924 viewsAntti_Heinola

Highlights reality check on 11:58 - Aug 21 by wgchoop

Totally agree it will be very far from easy. If the players go in with a similar attitude of assuming we'll win, we'll lose.
Suspect the crowd, with the heat and the expectation of a win, will be flat too. Could turn ugly if things don't go well immediately...

Bare bones.

Highlights reality check on 12:15 - Aug 21 with 3905 viewswgchoop

Highlights reality check on 12:07 - Aug 21 by adhoc_qpr

True, although i think we'd all like to see some kind of consistency in how we perform.

So doesn't matter if we don't win on Saturday, as long as we are playing decent football and creating chances.

Yep agree with that also I've always said if we try, and play well but still lose then that's fair enough to.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2015 12:16]
Highlights reality check on 13:54 - Aug 21 with 3806 viewsPinnerPaul

Highlights reality check on 11:53 - Aug 21 by pomanjou

I'm not belittling at all. I said I was chuffed with the win. If all goals come from someone doing something wrong then Green shouldn't have bothered to try for Cardiff's equaliser last weekend. It was a great strike and Green was not 'at fault'.

No but defenders were out of position and could/should have closed down.

Most/all goals are preventable
Highlights reality check on 14:00 - Aug 21 with 3791 viewspomanjou

Highlights reality check on 13:54 - Aug 21 by PinnerPaul

No but defenders were out of position and could/should have closed down.

Most/all goals are preventable

So nobody gets any credit for brilliance as it's almost always preventable. Ok.

Highlights reality check on 14:39 - Aug 21 with 3749 viewssouthernR

We need a solid back 4 to do well in the lower leagues. Unlike the prem, where almost every lapse and every mistake can be punished by a goal, we still cant afford to let teams play balls into our box uncontested and unwon without conceding at least a few goals. Without Chaz and Matt P we're not going to be able to outscore too many teams after the window but I hope that we can keep clean sheets if CR can get them playing as a unit and outmuscle opponents.
Highlights reality check on 14:40 - Aug 21 with 3745 viewssimmo

As we're having a highlights reality check, can we make sure we do the same the next time we lose?

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Highlights reality check on 14:42 - Aug 21 with 3738 viewsPinnerPaul

Highlights reality check on 14:00 - Aug 21 by pomanjou

So nobody gets any credit for brilliance as it's almost always preventable. Ok.

You started it by saying we only won because their GK was rubbish!

How about you give US some credit - all 3 of our goals contained good play and yes errors by the oppo as well, like all goals - as I said in the first place!
Highlights reality check on 14:43 - Aug 21 with 3732 viewsPinnerPaul

Highlights reality check on 14:40 - Aug 21 by simmo

As we're having a highlights reality check, can we make sure we do the same the next time we lose?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024