Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Class of 92 21:34 - Nov 5 with 11199 viewsColDale

Great tv but what a horrible managerial duo
Class of 92 on 12:37 - Nov 7 with 1856 viewsSuddenLad

Class of 92 on 11:26 - Nov 7 by TalkingSutty

Watching that game last night was like a breath of fresh air. The little refreshment kiosk, having a pint whilst watching the game, standing where you want, cheap admission, an affinity with the players, good honest hard tackling football.

Even at our level, the 'Matchday experience' is quickly dissapearing. You can't do this and you can't do that. Buy your ticket early or we will charge you more on the day of the match. It's like Football Clubs are actually doing the supporters a favour these days.

I can see the attraction of supporting a Salford, Stalybridge, Ramsbottom, Fylde. God forbid anything ever happened to the Dale then that's the direction i would be looking to get my Saturday fix.

In many ways, that game reminded me very much of my early Dale watching days in the 1960's and much of what we saw was instrumental in attracting me to Dale in the first place.

It was good to see the open terraces, the small paddocks, tea huts and the general freedom to move around unhindered by swathes of yellow-coated clowns.

I hope that they appreciate what they have, because the experience of watching football in that environment is infinitely more enjoyable than what we sometimes endure (rather than enjoy) at League level.

Sad to say, that for all the so-called (enforced) 'improvements' and 'advancements' made at Spotland (and League grounds generally) over the years, their souls were left behind. Last night demonstrated that in some places it's alive and well and long may that be the case.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Class of 92 on 12:45 - Nov 7 with 1839 viewsTVOS1907

Class of 92 on 12:37 - Nov 7 by SuddenLad

In many ways, that game reminded me very much of my early Dale watching days in the 1960's and much of what we saw was instrumental in attracting me to Dale in the first place.

It was good to see the open terraces, the small paddocks, tea huts and the general freedom to move around unhindered by swathes of yellow-coated clowns.

I hope that they appreciate what they have, because the experience of watching football in that environment is infinitely more enjoyable than what we sometimes endure (rather than enjoy) at League level.

Sad to say, that for all the so-called (enforced) 'improvements' and 'advancements' made at Spotland (and League grounds generally) over the years, their souls were left behind. Last night demonstrated that in some places it's alive and well and long may that be the case.

True, but if Salford are to realise their ambitions, that will also all fall by the wayside as they move up through the pyramid.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Class of 92 on 12:55 - Nov 7 with 1823 views1mark1

Think there was 59 places between Salford and Notts County. When Dale beat Coventry in 1972 there would have been about 70? Can anybody please tell us what's the biggest number of places between a side beating another in the FA cup.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Class of 92 on 13:09 - Nov 7 with 1795 views1mark1

Andy Dawson works with us at our place as a supervisor. Top lad, and a good manager of people. Often comes into work with a black eye or two from his football exploits, but misses many games due to injury and or suspension.

IF he had a lot less injuries he in my opinion would have been at least League One standard, possibly as good or even better than Craig, who as a 18 yo also worked at our place in the warehouse for a while before, signing as a Dale player. I too have heard that Andy might have even been better than Craig, but I have never seen Andy play until last night. Both of them good cricketers and decent at many sports, Andy being a very good cricketer, for Rochdale.

Class of 92 on 13:11 - Nov 7 with 1787 viewsTVOS1907

Class of 92 on 12:55 - Nov 7 by 1mark1

Think there was 59 places between Salford and Notts County. When Dale beat Coventry in 1972 there would have been about 70? Can anybody please tell us what's the biggest number of places between a side beating another in the FA cup.

No idea of the answer, but I would think Sutton beating Coventry, Hereford beating Newcastle and Wimbledon beating Burnley would be the likely candidates.

EDIT: This might help - http://www.thegiantkillers.co.uk/
[Post edited 7 Nov 2015 13:19]

Class of 92 on 13:13 - Nov 7 with 1773 viewsdingdangblue

Class of 92 on 12:45 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

True, but if Salford are to realise their ambitions, that will also all fall by the wayside as they move up through the pyramid.

Agreed, Gary and Phil Neville seem to be very much involved and more hands on than the others. They both came across as 2 very genuine blokes. Loved the bits with Gary telling the groundsman not to touch the slab of concrete he liked to watch the games from and it must be great for someone in the public eye so much to be just able to stand there and watch the game. The paradox is by being involved and continually progressing up the leagues he's going to lose all that he enjoys now. He mentioned Premier league in 25 years and a 25000 stadium - surely that will just lose what Salford are.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Class of 92 on 13:13 - Nov 7 with 1776 viewsD_Alien

That's a good question! But it'd have to include the modern era from 1957/58 I think, when the old regional Div 3 North & South became national Divs 3 & 4

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Class of 92 on 13:14 - Nov 7 with 1769 viewsSuddenLad

Class of 92 on 12:45 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

Of course, but there will always be clubs at that level, whose fans will have a better matchday experience than their counterparts watching League football.

As ever, success comes at a price, but that's not always a financial cost.

Watching the Dale in the 1960's and 1970's was much more enjoyable than it is now and when I say that I am NOT referring to the quality of the football, but the way spectators are treated and the decline in the general good-humoured atmosphere.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Class of 92 on 13:16 - Nov 7 with 1760 viewsTVOS1907

Class of 92 on 13:14 - Nov 7 by SuddenLad

Of course, but there will always be clubs at that level, whose fans will have a better matchday experience than their counterparts watching League football.

Watching the Dale in the 1960's and 1970's was much more enjoyable than it is now and when I say that I am NOT referring to the quality of the football, but the way spectators are treated and the decline in the general good-humoured atmosphere.

I'd agree with that.

I started watching in 1982 and having read up a lot about previous eras, I wish I'd been able to experience those times.

Class of 92 on 13:17 - Nov 7 with 1754 viewsTVOS1907

Class of 92 on 13:13 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

Agreed, Gary and Phil Neville seem to be very much involved and more hands on than the others. They both came across as 2 very genuine blokes. Loved the bits with Gary telling the groundsman not to touch the slab of concrete he liked to watch the games from and it must be great for someone in the public eye so much to be just able to stand there and watch the game. The paradox is by being involved and continually progressing up the leagues he's going to lose all that he enjoys now. He mentioned Premier league in 25 years and a 25000 stadium - surely that will just lose what Salford are.

I was wondering last night if they had ever considered investing in the club their father was associated with...

Class of 92 on 13:19 - Nov 7 with 1750 views1mark1

Class of 92 on 13:11 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

No idea of the answer, but I would think Sutton beating Coventry, Hereford beating Newcastle and Wimbledon beating Burnley would be the likely candidates.

EDIT: This might help - http://www.thegiantkillers.co.uk/
[Post edited 7 Nov 2015 13:19]

Absolutely. Dale's win over Coventry would be in the top 20, I would guess. Suppose you have to add a premium for when teams have won away from home. Also the margin of victory.

Thanks for the edit and link.
[Post edited 7 Nov 2015 13:24]

Class of 92 on 13:20 - Nov 7 with 1743 viewsD_Alien

Class of 92 on 13:14 - Nov 7 by SuddenLad

Hmm... not so sure SuddenLad

It was different, I'll give you that, but the general freedom of movement included the distinct possibility of away fans - often in greater numbers than home fans - invading the "home" terracing and kicking six shades of shit out of you, whether aged 10, 30 or 70

Class of 92 on 13:21 - Nov 7 with 1738 viewsTVOS1907

Class of 92 on 13:20 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

Hmm... not so sure SuddenLad

It was different, I'll give you that, but the general freedom of movement included the distinct possibility of away fans - often in greater numbers than home fans - invading the "home" terracing and kicking six shades of shit out of you, whether aged 10, 30 or 70

It gets like that on here sometimes, D_Alien!
[Post edited 7 Nov 2015 13:22]

Class of 92 on 13:22 - Nov 7 with 1731 views1mark1

Class of 92 on 13:13 - Nov 7 by D_Alien

That's a good question! But it'd have to include the modern era from 1957/58 I think, when the old regional Div 3 North & South became national Divs 3 & 4

You would have to say as an example the 10th place in 3rd division North was on the same level as 10th place in 3rd Division south, but yes it would be very difficult to work out, as you do have North and South National league .

Class of 92 on 13:25 - Nov 7 with 1720 viewsD_Alien

Class of 92 on 13:21 - Nov 7 by TVOS1907

It gets like that on here sometimes, D_Alien!
[Post edited 7 Nov 2015 13:22]

We're much more adept at giving a verbal kicking though

Class of 92 on 13:31 - Nov 7 with 1702 views1mark1

Just realised it was 1970 and we were in Div 3 at the time. Still a fantastic win.

Class of 92 on 13:41 - Nov 7 with 1672 viewsTVOS1907

Class of 92 on 13:31 - Nov 7 by 1mark1

Just realised it was 1970 and we were in Div 3 at the time. Still a fantastic win.

Take the mean - it was 1971.

Class of 92 on 13:45 - Nov 7 with 1665 viewsdingdangblue

I know when Wrexham beat Arsenal I think the previous season Arsenal had finished 1st and Wrexham 92nd of the league pyramid. Not sure of their positions at the time of the game.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Class of 92 on 13:58 - Nov 7 with 1648 views1mark1

Crikey, thanks for that, getting my years mixed up.

Class of 92 on 19:31 - Nov 7 with 1521 viewsflyerdale

Class of 92 on 13:09 - Nov 7 by 1mark1

Andy Dawson works with us at our place as a supervisor. Top lad, and a good manager of people. Often comes into work with a black eye or two from his football exploits, but misses many games due to injury and or suspension.

IF he had a lot less injuries he in my opinion would have been at least League One standard, possibly as good or even better than Craig, who as a 18 yo also worked at our place in the warehouse for a while before, signing as a Dale player. I too have heard that Andy might have even been better than Craig, but I have never seen Andy play until last night. Both of them good cricketers and decent at many sports, Andy being a very good cricketer, for Rochdale.

Your a taxman then.....you must have some insider knowledge on the buckets then 😉
Class of 92 on 20:46 - Nov 7 with 1417 viewsitschalky

The FA Cup is just a tinpot cup nowadays and I'm glad that we are out of it early on....

Maybe
Class of 92 on 20:51 - Nov 7 with 1397 viewsjudd

Class of 92 on 20:46 - Nov 7 by itschalky

The FA Cup is just a tinpot cup nowadays and I'm glad that we are out of it early on....

Maybe

Soon to be followed by a league exit.

#cheaty

Poll: What is it to be then?

Class of 92 on 21:13 - Nov 7 with 1341 views1mark1

Class of 92 on 19:31 - Nov 7 by flyerdale

Your a taxman then.....you must have some insider knowledge on the buckets then 😉

No not a taxman and neither is Andy Dawson. We both work at DWP file storage site in Heywood.

Class of 92 on 21:23 - Nov 7 with 1318 viewsdingdangblue

Class of 92 on 21:13 - Nov 7 by 1mark1

No not a taxman and neither is Andy Dawson. We both work at DWP file storage site in Heywood.

I can see that building from my house! Backs onto Siddall Moor fields. Give us a wave next time your in

Class of 92 on 21:24 - Nov 7 with 1318 views1mark1

Class of 92 on 21:23 - Nov 7 by dingdangblue

I can see that building from my house! Backs onto Siddall Moor fields. Give us a wave next time your in

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024