Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... 20:29 - Apr 6 with 8609 viewsVetchfieldpasty

But is this seasons failings solely down to Monk??

I would argue in hindsight Monk went to the board this time last year and requested the following to top up on an already brimming talented squad -

A goalkeeper to keep Fabianski on his toes
A left full back to take over from Taylor
A Winger
A striker

What he got was:
Nordfeldt
Fat Frank
Andre Ayew
Eder

My point is Monk had identified what positions he wanted which was correct in my eyes but feel whoever is in charge of recruitment, think we all agree it wasn't Monk, choose these four. Monk can be forgiven not addressing the Midfield positions as in JJS & Ki we definitely had one of the strongest midfields in the league, no one would have predicted such a decline in both.

So my point is, has anything really changed in recruitment as we can all call for new faces in the pre season but if we don't change the way we recruit we will be back to square one and fighting relegation.

Either that or another shed full of Falkirk U21's........
N/A. on 20:36 - Apr 6 with 4619 viewsHuw57

N/A.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2018 1:09]

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:37 - Apr 6 with 4614 viewsNeathJack

There was a failing from top to bottom, including the attitude of a number of players during the latter stages of the Monk reign.

The recruitment was a significant part of the season failings. It will be interesting to see in the summer whether we go for the new managers signings (assuming there is a new manager of course) as we did with Laudrup, or the scouting systems recommendations, as we appear to have done under Monk.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:39 - Apr 6 with 4599 viewsJoe_bradshaw

There are huge shortcomings in the squad but they're easily good enough to survive with comfort.

19 points from 21 games under Monk.
18 points from 11 games since he left.

Monk was failing miserably to make the most of the talent at his disposal and paid the price.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:39 - Apr 6 with 4599 viewsVetchfieldpasty

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:37 - Apr 6 by NeathJack

There was a failing from top to bottom, including the attitude of a number of players during the latter stages of the Monk reign.

The recruitment was a significant part of the season failings. It will be interesting to see in the summer whether we go for the new managers signings (assuming there is a new manager of course) as we did with Laudrup, or the scouting systems recommendations, as we appear to have done under Monk.

Absolutely agree with attitude issues. Think we got way to comfortable and over confident in the league.........one example.........Player Sleeping Pods!!! WTF was that about!!!
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:41 - Apr 6 with 4579 viewsDarran

Spot on.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:46 - Apr 6 with 4550 viewsmonmouth

Not all down to Monk, but he and his coterie of clowns were at the root of it. Just to point out Garry Monk started picking Kyle f**king Bartley and had visibly lost the trust of the team.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:49 - Apr 6 with 4541 viewsVetchfieldpasty

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:46 - Apr 6 by monmouth

Not all down to Monk, but he and his coterie of clowns were at the root of it. Just to point out Garry Monk started picking Kyle f**king Bartley and had visibly lost the trust of the team.

Fair enough can't dispute that one!! :)

Just wanted to highlight our recruitment is pants and has been for a long while as oppose to back Monk.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:58 - Apr 6 with 4507 viewssj_jack

I would ask how much money have the Club ploughed into training facilities over past 18 months?
I know it's crucial for our long term future, but I'm certain that investment influenced what we were able to buy.

Also think Monk & crucially his coaching team wasn't strong/experienced/streetwise enough.
I think Monk is a bright manager, rest of his team left a lot to be desired.

Ultimately, there's a number of failings on a number of levels,
Certain room for improvement, but I hope lessons have been learned!
Login to get fewer ads

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 21:23 - Apr 6 with 4426 viewsTNT

Some of our fans were clamouring for Kyle Bartley to be picked!

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 21:44 - Apr 6 with 4367 viewsswancity

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 21:23 - Apr 6 by TNT

Some of our fans were clamouring for Kyle Bartley to be picked!

Dr winston boogie woogie woogie woo has loved Bartley for years.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 21:52 - Apr 6 with 4334 viewsLandore_Jack

Part of it was the board reacting too slowley in appointing a successor for Garry Monk. Curtis was left holding the baby and the strain was beginning to show after the Sunderland and Oxford defeats.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2016 22:29]

#backtojack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 22:00 - Apr 6 with 4289 viewsDavillin

"We see but darkly even when we look behind us."

That applies not only to the O.P., but to all of the posts above.

This is harsh, but all of the "faults" described above ultimately fall on the manager, and rightly so. That's one of the reasons they are paid so much. [I had typed "they earn so much," but modified it accordingly.]

Finally, the reasons for Monk's "failure" were being pointed out on this board from the beginning, although not all of them were directly pinned on Monk. But, as above, they should have been, except for sentimentality about him. And before anyone shits himself, I fully understand that.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 22:02 - Apr 6 with 4277 viewsDarran

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 22:00 - Apr 6 by Davillin

"We see but darkly even when we look behind us."

That applies not only to the O.P., but to all of the posts above.

This is harsh, but all of the "faults" described above ultimately fall on the manager, and rightly so. That's one of the reasons they are paid so much. [I had typed "they earn so much," but modified it accordingly.]

Finally, the reasons for Monk's "failure" were being pointed out on this board from the beginning, although not all of them were directly pinned on Monk. But, as above, they should have been, except for sentimentality about him. And before anyone shits himself, I fully understand that.

The Chairmans paid a few quid too Tone.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 22:21 - Apr 6 with 4206 viewsKilkennyjack

The truth.

Beware of the Risen People

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 22:33 - Apr 6 with 4141 viewsjasper_T

Half this forum still want to see Fernandez out of the team.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 22:33 - Apr 6 with 4141 viewsmagicdaps10

The board have a lot to answer. Huw said at the end of last season that they would only strengthen the first team and no need to strengthen as a squad as signing players capable of getting into the starting 11 would make the pool of players stronger.................in Nordfellt,Tabanou and Eder this was not achieved and all signed cheaply and quite clearly by the hierarchy and not by Monk.

The first team needed freshening up after a good season the year before so they could push on and when it was not done then Monk struggled to do this and in time it looks like the respect from the players for Monk slowly went.

New man needs to come in and be given a good wedge and strengthen what needs strengthening and the lack of spending last summer will now make it a more expensive summer for them this year.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 23:08 - Apr 6 with 4071 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Hindsight IS a wonderful thing - Huw should never have listened to Monk's whining over Laudrup and appointed him. It's that simple.His undermining of at least two of our former manager's should have set off alarm bells in the Chairman's head. And Monk in his book apparently said durning that Sousa season that he didn't want us to get promoted. Plain to see it was all about Garry................................................

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 23:15 - Apr 6 with 4047 viewsLeonisGod

Indeed, much more than a simple recruitment issue. As the same players have shown by being comfortably mid-table in the form table since the turn of the year. I think we're about 9th over the last 10 games or so, but the detail's not important as it's essentially the same players performing much better. Although the football is still not the best, and that is definitely a Garry legacy unfortunately. We were poor most of last season too, but had the spirit and organisation then to grind out results.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 06:40 - Apr 7 with 3849 viewsdobjack2

Because of our woeful defending at set pieces I can understand Garry wanting a dominant centre half. Unfortunately all he had to work with was Bartley who was always a second away from a rash decision.

The problem was when he persisted with Bartley when he clearly was not the answer to our problems.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 06:55 - Apr 7 with 3837 viewsStarsky

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 06:40 - Apr 7 by dobjack2

Because of our woeful defending at set pieces I can understand Garry wanting a dominant centre half. Unfortunately all he had to work with was Bartley who was always a second away from a rash decision.

The problem was when he persisted with Bartley when he clearly was not the answer to our problems.

Maybe he should have held onto Chico

It's just the internet, init.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 08:03 - Apr 7 with 3755 viewsVetchfieldpasty

The problem I see going forward is the failures in recruitment last year is really confounded by complete drop of form by a few, replacing aging and take sentiment away are past it and also replacing the dross we brought in last year. So we still need:-

GK
LB
RB
Two x CM
Two x Wing
CF

Thats a huge turnaround whilst bedding in a new Management structure.

Bumpy ride ahead??
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 08:22 - Apr 7 with 3733 viewsexiledinenglandjack

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:58 - Apr 6 by sj_jack

I would ask how much money have the Club ploughed into training facilities over past 18 months?
I know it's crucial for our long term future, but I'm certain that investment influenced what we were able to buy.

Also think Monk & crucially his coaching team wasn't strong/experienced/streetwise enough.
I think Monk is a bright manager, rest of his team left a lot to be desired.

Ultimately, there's a number of failings on a number of levels,
Certain room for improvement, but I hope lessons have been learned!

£8.5m since 2011, so hardly breaking the bank. I know we run a tight bank balance, but i highly doubt that the training facilities have majorly affected the transfer policy. Huw and the recruitment team are generally very tight. See the comments he made after signing Bony, he said we wouldn't spend anywhere near that for a long time and he's stuck to his word. But i do agree with most on here, a new lb, winger and competition for alberto should be the priority in the summer.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 08:40 - Apr 7 with 3704 viewsSwaneeRiver

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 20:39 - Apr 6 by Joe_bradshaw

There are huge shortcomings in the squad but they're easily good enough to survive with comfort.

19 points from 21 games under Monk.
18 points from 11 games since he left.

Monk was failing miserably to make the most of the talent at his disposal and paid the price.

Agree with this.
Fer has come in and done an excellent job, but nothing our current midfielders couldn't have achieved with better management.
Paloschi has come in and made a positive impact, but TBH without Gylfi we'd be in serious trouble
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 09:05 - Apr 7 with 3654 viewsjasper_T

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 08:03 - Apr 7 by Vetchfieldpasty

The problem I see going forward is the failures in recruitment last year is really confounded by complete drop of form by a few, replacing aging and take sentiment away are past it and also replacing the dross we brought in last year. So we still need:-

GK
LB
RB
Two x CM
Two x Wing
CF

Thats a huge turnaround whilst bedding in a new Management structure.

Bumpy ride ahead??

We certainly don't need two new central midfielders or another goalkeeper.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing...... on 10:54 - Apr 7 with 3568 viewsicecoldjack

Monk carries the can plain and simple.

Had plenty to say when digging Sousa and laudrup when captain, that's ok until things start going wrong, Some would remember and use the same methods themselves when unhappy later on.

If the board were signing players he didn't want then he should have come out and said so or kept dignity and resigned, as I understand thIngs, Monk would have had input to who was being targeted and been part of the process so no getting out of it.

His biggest mistake,and a really big mistake at that, was his choice of coaching staff, once beatie was brought in it seemed to sour things for him, loyalty to his friend seemed a bigger priority than

loyalty to the club that payed his wages for 10 yrs, handing him a premier league contract when it was clear to everyone his ability wasn't up to it, fantastic loyalty from the board in this respect in giving him a nice pay day.

All monk had to do was steer the ship safely, and on the same heading as before,if it ain't broke no need to fix it,which in fairness he was doing well until his ego started thinking otherwise.

Did the board let him down? IMO no, they backed him better than any other manager, naughton,cork,Fernandez,gomis,siggy,fabianski ,Montero and ayew to supplement bony,ash,routs,ki,Britton etc .

All that he lost was wilf but there was plenty enough talent there for almost anyone to not fook it up..which was exactly what he did !

ive no doubt that when he started benching siggy for shelvey and Fernandez for bartly the senior pro's did a "monk" and went over his head to voice their complaints to the board .

His methods as captain were Passed on and was his un doing as manager IMO.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2016 12:42]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024