Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Apologies, Apologies, Apologies 12:05 - Oct 13 with 3116 viewsBallastBoy

Erm
Sorry if this has already been covered;
Sorry for not knowing this; and
Sorry for being too lazy to figure it out myself...

but.....

Anyone know what the Dale's record league winning streak is? I have been following the Dale since 1990 and although I remember some remarkable runs, I don't seem to recall too many five league wins in a row. Is this current run near breaking any records?

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 12:23 - Oct 13 with 3066 viewsTVOS1907

Eight games, from September to November 1969.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 12:40 - Oct 13 with 2996 viewsdingdangblue

The most recent is 6 in our promotion season, Tom Heaton had just arrived on loan. We lost his 1st game 3-2 to Chesterfield then won the next 6. He remained unbeaten till he left. Then we lost 1-0 away to bury on TV when O'Grady missed an open goal and Ryan Lowe scored the winner on a dog of a pitch.

21.11.2009 Dagenham and Redb'ge away W 2-1
24.11.2009 Notts County home W 2-1
01.12.2009 Bradford City away W 3-0
05.12.2009 Macclesfield Town home W 3-0
12.12.2009 Lincoln City away W 3-1
19.12.2009 Shrewsbury Town home W 4-0

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:39 - Oct 13 with 2819 viewspioneer

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 12:23 - Oct 13 by TVOS1907

Eight games, from September to November 1969.

That took us to the top of the division - beat Mansfield Town in a midweek game to take us top. Mansfield even brought their sub on (only one allowed then) without taking anyone off. Eventually captain Joe Ashworth had to point it out to the ref.

Run ended the following weekend when we lost in a top of the table clash at Luton - and yes....it was televised.
Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:45 - Oct 13 with 2806 viewsD_Alien

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:39 - Oct 13 by pioneer

That took us to the top of the division - beat Mansfield Town in a midweek game to take us top. Mansfield even brought their sub on (only one allowed then) without taking anyone off. Eventually captain Joe Ashworth had to point it out to the ref.

Run ended the following weekend when we lost in a top of the table clash at Luton - and yes....it was televised.

The highlights (lowlights) on MOTD featured Reg Jenkins blasting the ball beyond row Z from about five yards out

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:54 - Oct 13 with 2779 viewsTVOS1907

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:39 - Oct 13 by pioneer

The run was ended with a 3-1 defeat at Halifax. Luton was a fortnight after that, with the FA Cup in between.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/rochdale/1969-1970/results

This was the table before that game at The Shay:

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/rochdale/1969-1970/table/1969-11-03

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 16:00 - Oct 13 with 2762 viewsD_Alien

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:54 - Oct 13 by TVOS1907

The run was ended with a 3-1 defeat at Halifax. Luton was a fortnight after that, with the FA Cup in between.

The game at Halifax was one of the biggest disappointments in my early Dale-watching career, played on a right dismal afternoon. Look at our away record and their home record prior to the game - especially the goals scored columns

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 18:24 - Oct 13 with 2566 viewsRegJenkinsBoot

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 16:00 - Oct 13 by D_Alien

The game at Halifax was one of the biggest disappointments in my early Dale-watching career, played on a right dismal afternoon. Look at our away record and their home record prior to the game - especially the goals scored columns

The Shay at the time also hosted Speedway racing and the corner quadrants were turf mounted on boards. I have a distinct recollection of a Dale player going over to take a corner and it was "persisting down " so hard that the corner of the pitch literally floated away onto the speedway track. In my recollection this was my man Jenkins himself but would he have been taking corners ? Perhaps he was the best swimmer on the team??
Anybody have a better memory of this unique incident (recognising that this was 47 years ago ?
Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 18:31 - Oct 13 with 2546 viewsD_Alien

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 18:24 - Oct 13 by RegJenkinsBoot

The Shay at the time also hosted Speedway racing and the corner quadrants were turf mounted on boards. I have a distinct recollection of a Dale player going over to take a corner and it was "persisting down " so hard that the corner of the pitch literally floated away onto the speedway track. In my recollection this was my man Jenkins himself but would he have been taking corners ? Perhaps he was the best swimmer on the team??
Anybody have a better memory of this unique incident (recognising that this was 47 years ago ?

No particular recollection of that incident, although I do remember the dodgy corners of the pitch. Maybe they had Reg taking the corners that day because no-one else was strong enough to lift the ball into the centre in those conditions?!

Login to get fewer ads

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 19:02 - Oct 13 with 2481 viewspioneer

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 15:54 - Oct 13 by TVOS1907

My mistake - I remember the Cup game away at Workington then in 4th division. We took the lead with a rare goal from Norman Whitehead I think but Workington came back strong. We took a massive away following to that game.

And yes I remember the 'wooden corners' at the Shay. We got our revenge the following season (70-71). We had won hardly any games and were stuggling at or near the bottom when the shay game came up on boxing day I think. They were doing well but we demolished them 4-1 with Dennis Butler scoring a hat trick. I think it was after the game they discovered he had a hairline fracture of the leg.
Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 17:08 - Oct 15 with 2037 viewsD_Dale

Apologies, Apologies, Apologies on 12:40 - Oct 13 by dingdangblue

The most recent is 6 in our promotion season, Tom Heaton had just arrived on loan. We lost his 1st game 3-2 to Chesterfield then won the next 6. He remained unbeaten till he left. Then we lost 1-0 away to bury on TV when O'Grady missed an open goal and Ryan Lowe scored the winner on a dog of a pitch.

21.11.2009 Dagenham and Redb'ge away W 2-1
24.11.2009 Notts County home W 2-1
01.12.2009 Bradford City away W 3-0
05.12.2009 Macclesfield Town home W 3-0
12.12.2009 Lincoln City away W 3-1
19.12.2009 Shrewsbury Town home W 4-0

Good stuff, but only 3 clean sheets (!)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024