Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Change of ends 06:52 - Apr 4 with 2675 viewsD_Alien

I know we traditionally play towards the Sandy second half, but just for a change - and maybe to shake things up a bit after the psychological blow of conceding in the last minute a couple of days ago - it'd make a refreshing change to see us attacking the Pearl St second half tonight

I can think of several big night matches in L1 where this worked to good effect, notably v Huddersfield & Southampton in 2010/11

It'll be interesting to see the crowd distribution tonight too, given there's no premium between choosing any stand and the expected large numbers of neutrals

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Change of ends on 07:48 - Apr 4 with 2625 viewsDaleFan7

Possibly if the problem was resigned to Spotland but we do it everywhere.
Change of ends on 08:31 - Apr 4 with 2559 viewsdalian

Me and a friend were discussing recently how we almost always shoot towards the Sandy in the second half. Does anyone know the reason for this? Am guessing there may be an advantage of some sort (avoiding sun in the eyes?) but am not sure what. If there was such an advantage I would have thought that the opposition would take it up too on the occasions that they won the toss (which chance says is about half the time). It's almost as if we have an arrangement on which way shoot. I wonder if this happens at other clubs, too.
Change of ends on 08:34 - Apr 4 with 2551 viewsSimpkinsLeftPeg

We attacked the Sandy in the second half v Southampton. We were already 2-0 up at the break though!

Don't think it has an affect either way to be honest.
Change of ends on 08:54 - Apr 4 with 2499 viewsmingthemerciless

I always thought most teams like to attack the end with the most vociferous support in the second half.

When I first started going the Sandy Lane end was the source of that support.
Change of ends on 09:26 - Apr 4 with 2441 viewsColDale

It's considered to be slightly downhill attacking that end. No idea whether that's true or not
Change of ends on 09:31 - Apr 4 with 2427 viewsmingthemerciless

just thinking about it - when did fans changing ends at half time come to an end ?
[Post edited 4 Apr 2017 9:33]
Change of ends on 09:48 - Apr 4 with 2391 views442Dale

Change of ends on 09:31 - Apr 4 by mingthemerciless

just thinking about it - when did fans changing ends at half time come to an end ?

I think it was before the 95/96 season. Definitely remember being in the Willbutts for parts of games the season before. Away fans were in there when they brought a lot in 95/96, Cardiff on opening day for example, with Dale fans having the option to use it on other occasions. I think!

Actually thinking about it, there was no rhyme or reason at times as Chester brought about 7-800 on a Tuesday night and were in one end of the main stand.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Change of ends on 10:28 - Apr 4 with 2332 viewsParkinsGimp

Change of ends on 09:31 - Apr 4 by mingthemerciless

I have no idea of the year but remember a Lancashire cup game at start of a season against Wigan and the club said "that's it no end changes at half time" , unfortunately the coppers decided to let some into the Pearl St and some Wigan round to the Sandy...fun and games ensued. I hope them coppers never got to traffic duty , they were running all over after realising their lack of communication .
It does annoy me that we always attack the sandy in second half. Surely we dont win every toss...we are certainly not that lucky.
Login to get fewer ads

Change of ends on 11:24 - Apr 4 with 2246 viewsD_Alien

Change of ends on 08:34 - Apr 4 by SimpkinsLeftPeg

We attacked the Sandy in the second half v Southampton. We were already 2-0 up at the break though!

Don't think it has an affect either way to be honest.

Ah, my mistake, and yep it was probably the match circumstances that created that impression

I just feel there's a certain amount of 'routineness' about it that somehow detracts from the overall match day experience - I guess most of us love sport partly due to the uncertainty and randomness it brings

Change of ends on 11:41 - Apr 4 with 2206 viewsD_Dale

Change of ends on 09:26 - Apr 4 by ColDale

It's considered to be slightly downhill attacking that end. No idea whether that's true or not

The pitch did have a slope, but was supposedly levelled (in the 1930s?). The soil removed became the hill - or more grandly, the 'kop' - that was removed when the Pearl Street stand was built.

Maybe the pitch didn't end up 100% level, so generations of Dale captains have, when winning the toss, opted to play 'downhill' towards Sandy Lane in the second half. (But why not opt to start with the advantage of the slope, and aim to build up a lead by halftime?) Visiting captains, presumably, aren't aware of the difference. It all seems rather improbable.

The other Saturday at Chesterfield there was some disappointment that Dale opted to play towards the away supporters in the first half. But that was soon forgotten when Dale were 3-0 up by halftime.

The players are coached so much on how to play that it would be odd if the manager didn't tell the captain what to do if he wins the toss. Maybe someone should ask Keith Hill if he does.
Change of ends on 11:53 - Apr 4 with 2171 viewsD_Alien

Change of ends on 08:54 - Apr 4 by mingthemerciless

I always thought most teams like to attack the end with the most vociferous support in the second half.

When I first started going the Sandy Lane end was the source of that support.

Aye, and with the new singing/drumming section in t' Pearl St it could be argued we're more vociferous now!

Change of ends on 12:04 - Apr 4 with 2133 viewsShun

This is the main reason I go in the Sandy Lane!
Change of ends on 12:41 - Apr 4 with 2013 viewsAtThePeake

Change of ends on 12:04 - Apr 4 by Shun

This is the main reason I go in the Sandy Lane!

Yeap, it's the reason I sit towards the Sandy Lane end of the Main Stand.

Tangled up in blue.

Change of ends on 14:57 - Apr 4 with 1821 viewsAtThePeake

Change of ends on 12:41 - Apr 4 by AtThePeake

Yeap, it's the reason I sit towards the Sandy Lane end of the Main Stand.

In fact, it would be interesting to know how many people would change where they sit/stand if we were to kick to the TDS end every second half instead.

Tangled up in blue.

Change of ends on 15:09 - Apr 4 with 1791 viewsD_Alien

Change of ends on 14:57 - Apr 4 by AtThePeake

In fact, it would be interesting to know how many people would change where they sit/stand if we were to kick to the TDS end every second half instead.

It would, especially if price were no longer a factor based on same-price STs

I wouldn't want to see the Sandy disappear as a standing area though, rather expanded as and when finances allowed

It's really just the same-old-sameness of kicking the same way every game i'd like to see changed, even if just on an occasional basis

Change of ends on 15:59 - Apr 4 with 1715 viewsnordenblue

Change of ends on 09:26 - Apr 4 by ColDale

Sandy Lane end and was sort of crowned at the goal mouth and sloped down towards both corner flags a few years back,I thought the club levelled it during one of the the relaying episodes fairly recently though...
Change of ends on 17:25 - Apr 4 with 1652 viewsDaleiLama

The key to victory is Shun's pre-match speech.
Anything else is just a distraction.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Change of ends on 17:40 - Apr 4 with 1639 viewsD_Alien

Change of ends on 17:25 - Apr 4 by DaleiLama

Let's hope he shouts it from the highest munro

Change of ends on 11:19 - Apr 5 with 1438 viewsToffeemanc

Very Happy we didn't change it last night.

For fans in the Sandy the 2nd half last night must have seemed like an eternity. Most of the passes and possession in the 2nd half happened right in front of me on the edge of our own penalty at the Pearl Street end.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Change of ends on 11:43 - Apr 5 with 1410 viewsSandyDrum

Change of ends on 11:19 - Apr 5 by Toffeemanc

Very Happy we didn't change it last night.

For fans in the Sandy the 2nd half last night must have seemed like an eternity. Most of the passes and possession in the 2nd half happened right in front of me on the edge of our own penalty at the Pearl Street end.

It was dreadful!
I've never left the ground early at 3-0 up before but it was worth it to get an earlier train home after about 85 minutes. We were falling asleep!

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Change of ends on 17:13 - Apr 5 with 1302 viewsShun

Change of ends on 17:25 - Apr 4 by DaleiLama

I feel like if I do them more often they'll lose their allure! Once per bad run is very much enough.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024