Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
STEELY DAN 15:14 - Sep 3 with 7417 viewsSonofNorfolt

are now only one against nature.

RIP WALTER BECKER.
STEELY DAN on 09:54 - Sep 4 with 2465 viewscolinallcars

The lyrics were ultra-cool. I don't know why but the words "even Cathy Berberian knows there's one roulade she can't sing" followed by a single dissonant piano note, is a moment of high art.
STEELY DAN on 15:48 - Sep 4 with 2372 viewsBoston

Never a fan of Steely Dan, but the pair of 'em could knock out some good tunes. Read a bit about the band a few years ago and thought the two mainstays were clever, interesting gents. Rarely a day goes by on the local radio stations in the Boston area that their tracks aren't played.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

STEELY DAN on 17:13 - Sep 4 with 2361 viewsBlackCrowe

Not my quote, but pretty much sums them up for me...

Funky but not funk, jazzy but not jazz, poppy but not pop, rocky but not rock - and with smart lyrics too.

Just Steely Dan standing alone and still sounding fresh...

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

STEELY DAN on 17:55 - Sep 4 with 2344 viewsSonofNorfolt

Played all six of their albums up until Gaucho today in random order, they are peerless.

Dirty Work
My Old School
Black Friday
Doctor Wu
Don't Take Me Alive
Deacon Blues
Time Out of Mind
FM

an endless list of different styles, all brilliant.
STEELY DAN on 18:20 - Sep 4 with 2322 viewsHarbour

STEELY DAN on 17:55 - Sep 4 by SonofNorfolt

Played all six of their albums up until Gaucho today in random order, they are peerless.

Dirty Work
My Old School
Black Friday
Doctor Wu
Don't Take Me Alive
Deacon Blues
Time Out of Mind
FM

an endless list of different styles, all brilliant.

Cant but a thrill ...Cracking Album
STEELY DAN on 18:32 - Sep 4 with 2318 viewsRs_Holy

Robert Elms is doing a Steely Dan four-fer this Friday. Should be well worth a listen.
STEELY DAN on 06:09 - Sep 6 with 2234 viewsisawqpratwcity

Only just found this out (and why LFW is so much more than just football.)

RIP to a bloke who helped form such a fantastic band. Music and lyrics with a brain and a heart, wonderful fusion of musical genres, superb musicianship. Goddamn!

Even a song about a 'major dude' can be great.

(Btw, this song goes out to a couple of friends in particular...)
[Post edited 6 Sep 2017 6:25]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

STEELY DAN on 11:04 - Sep 6 with 2188 viewsAgedR

STEELY DAN on 19:37 - Sep 3 by Fearless

Saw them with you Mel, Hammersmith - when Elliot Randall guested - sad sad day
(Got tickets for October, maybe Michael Mcdonald will step in?)

Mid 70s (I think) a mates older brother played Pretzel Logic non-stop and I was hooked

RIP

Me too.

I understand that Fagen plans to keep the band going and it would be fantastic to pay our respects at the gig.

I think the Doobies are supporting, so McDonald may already be there for the Aja vocals.

For me, the opening to Don't Take Me Alive on The Royal Scam is almost orgasmic (and I have for years amused myself by changing the lyrics to "I'm a goalkeeper' son".

The Dan; peerless.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Login to get fewer ads

STEELY DAN on 11:33 - Sep 6 with 2174 viewshubble

I always thought they were not just extremely talented musicians, but witty and erudite chaps to name themselves after a steam-powered dildo that featured in William Burrough's Naked Lunch.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

STEELY DAN on 13:06 - Sep 6 with 2141 viewsjohncharles

Walter Becker played with Jay and the Americans at one time using the name Gus Mahler.

Strong and stable my arse.

STEELY DAN on 13:24 - Sep 6 with 2133 viewsBoston

STEELY DAN on 18:32 - Sep 4 by Rs_Holy

Robert Elms is doing a Steely Dan four-fer this Friday. Should be well worth a listen.

He did a piece on Roxy Music this morning, a band I was a fan of.

STEELY DAN on 13:07 - Dec 23 with 1739 viewsA40Bosh

STEELY DAN on 22:44 - Sep 3 by WrightUp5hit___

Bye Walter you have left some wonderful work to remind us of you.

Apart from the superb music, Aja is just the most beautiful sounding album. And it predates the digital era.

Since my Mrs got me the Bose headphones at the end of October I reckon I must look like Cameron Diaz brother in Something about Mary walking around the house every waking hour and mostly listing to the whole Aja album on constant repeat. Every track epic performances and incredible production. Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd, Jim Keltner groove city. Peg lifts my spirits every time I hear it. Need to wean myself off Aja and on to Pretzel Logic next. Simply music from a different stratosphere Dan.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

STEELY DAN on 13:26 - Dec 23 with 1704 viewsBoston

STEELY DAN on 13:07 - Dec 23 by A40Bosh

Since my Mrs got me the Bose headphones at the end of October I reckon I must look like Cameron Diaz brother in Something about Mary walking around the house every waking hour and mostly listing to the whole Aja album on constant repeat. Every track epic performances and incredible production. Bernard Purdie, Steve Gadd, Jim Keltner groove city. Peg lifts my spirits every time I hear it. Need to wean myself off Aja and on to Pretzel Logic next. Simply music from a different stratosphere Dan.

Headphones on Bosh, showing off his Steely Dan.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024