Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boring football 15:44 - Aug 25 with 7016 viewsCanaDale

Clearly the no fear football has disappeared, replaced with boring, predicable, and defensive play. Hill is doing a great job emulating his idol, Mourinho, with his wide men seemingly unwilling to cross the half way line. This team has been found out, and unless some spark returns this is going to be a long ass season. When you see so many players playing within themselves, it makes you wonder, is there something else going on, whatever it is, this can't go on.
Boring football on 21:49 - Aug 27 with 1649 views49thseason

Boring football on 09:02 - Aug 27 by dingdangblue

But then do you just disregard the last 16 games of last season where we picked up a lot of points and Hill showed the ability to turn things around? It's still to early to say he's a busted flush.

Of the last 16 games of last season, 10 were home and resulted in 12 points, 6 were away and gave 13 points. Most of the debate has been about our home form which has been poor for last season and for the second half of the 16/17 season and once again has started dreadfully this season. We can all find perfectly good reasons for the failures of the last 3 home games but the trend is not our friend, we are not improving at home where statistically just about every club can expect to gain the majority of their points. Its a serious problem that as yet has not been solved.
Boring football on 10:12 - Aug 28 with 1479 viewstony_roch975

Boring football on 21:49 - Aug 27 by 49thseason

Of the last 16 games of last season, 10 were home and resulted in 12 points, 6 were away and gave 13 points. Most of the debate has been about our home form which has been poor for last season and for the second half of the 16/17 season and once again has started dreadfully this season. We can all find perfectly good reasons for the failures of the last 3 home games but the trend is not our friend, we are not improving at home where statistically just about every club can expect to gain the majority of their points. Its a serious problem that as yet has not been solved.

Wonder if we'll again find it easier away where it's simpler focussing on non-possession defending and threatening on the break (as sides are doing against us at Spotland) rather than the pressure at home of trying to play more positive attacking football leaving you vulnerable to counter-attack.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Boring football on 10:18 - Aug 28 with 1467 viewsnordenblue

Boring football on 10:12 - Aug 28 by tony_roch975

Wonder if we'll again find it easier away where it's simpler focussing on non-possession defending and threatening on the break (as sides are doing against us at Spotland) rather than the pressure at home of trying to play more positive attacking football leaving you vulnerable to counter-attack.

Or maybe don't be quite so bloody negative at home with 5 defenders and 1 up front,and stop worrying about what every other team could possibly do to attack us.
Hilly is like a frightened rabbit in the headlights at home and too much emphasis on not conceded,as we can all see it's been working a damn treat so far!!!
Boring football on 12:49 - Aug 28 with 1404 viewsblackdogblue

Boring football on 07:58 - Aug 27 by EllDale

We lost three players out of that 2016/17 team in Allen, Lund and NML.
We hardly saw a fourth last year in the shape of Keane.
Did we adequately replace them?
The rot started, to my mind, with the injury to Bunney and then continued with inadequate recruitment over the close season.

Don’t see the point here, Jamie was a good player, Matty Lund was either injured (bad fall at Scunny) or off getting a red card, NML was a bit of a fringe player most of the season but these are all midfielders, yes Joe did shine for a while on the left but again inconsistent...

We still passed it sideways, Tom Kennedy & Tanser were masters of it, yes we had a better season or was that more down to Conrad?

We didn’t & still do not have a recognised striker, yes midfield do a holding & forward support, I don’t think individually or as a group with the exception of NML have not been replaced by the likes of Rathbone, Camps & Inman.

It’s not the players, it’s the ethos of how they are asked to play..

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Boring football on 13:31 - Aug 28 with 1339 viewsJames1980

I find it hard to believe players are being told to play in the way they have been. Obviously no team talk is going to include lines like, 'now I want each of you to misplace at least 1 pass preferably in a dangerous area' 'Players who are attacking, often leave them with no outlet' 'Unless you can softly tap the ball over the goal line don't shoot' 'Play nervously and within yourselves'. Yet opinions are that this is how the team are playing. I think pre and post match interviews suggest Hill isn't happy with the execution of his plans and perhaps his frustration at fans is him 'Do you real think I wanted that to happen, that I told/expect players to perform that way?'
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 14:42]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Boring football on 15:55 - Aug 28 with 1244 viewsnordenblue

Boring football on 13:31 - Aug 28 by James1980

I find it hard to believe players are being told to play in the way they have been. Obviously no team talk is going to include lines like, 'now I want each of you to misplace at least 1 pass preferably in a dangerous area' 'Players who are attacking, often leave them with no outlet' 'Unless you can softly tap the ball over the goal line don't shoot' 'Play nervously and within yourselves'. Yet opinions are that this is how the team are playing. I think pre and post match interviews suggest Hill isn't happy with the execution of his plans and perhaps his frustration at fans is him 'Do you real think I wanted that to happen, that I told/expect players to perform that way?'
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 14:42]

Asking players to perform things that aren't necessarily second nature to their normal positions on the pitch will ALWAYS result in mistakes happening,Hilly can try and plug square holes with round pegs yet it's glaringly obvious when decent consistent performers suddenly look like a fish out of water,that's not down to them consciously playing shite it's what happens when it's not natural to you,step forward Mr Hill
Boring football on 18:29 - Aug 28 with 1143 viewsJames1980

I see what you mean. What do you think happens in training though?
They players are played in this new position and it works.
Because 1, the players they are training with make it look like they can fufill the role. b, it is not in the pressure situation of a match. c, another reason.

It doesn't work in training either but someone's mind is made up and he is sticking to it

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Boring football on 23:17 - Aug 28 with 1071 viewsYouTubeDale

Boring football on 11:39 - Aug 27 by YouTubeDale

Thank God I am in stunning Keswick taking my mind off the Dale but it inevitably comes to the fore every now and again. I am doing better at shrugging off the psychological effects of the Dale defeats. For your own health, you have to win that battle, but it’s a difficult battle to win. I came down from Helvellyn on Saturday just missing the first 10 minutes of commentary, knowing that I had another mountain to climb, that being a lofty Walsall. That mountain became bigger when our goalie made an error we all knew was coming. Hill said, blame me. In the final analysis that proved to be the difference between the teams. Blame Hill. Unless we can prove that we can play out of the back then we need to find another way. Punting it up to Andrew/Albo on his own, he heads it to no one, because Hill has instructed the other striker to be on the other side of the pitch. They must work close together for any chance of a goal. Williams gets his chance at the Sandy to prove what a goal scorer he is, but blasts it well over. Sorry, but someone else who can capitalise on that chance needs to be there next time...Williams, drop back. These are the kind of decisions Hill needs to make. Also, for me, we don’t have enough of the foxes in the box. Camps was that fox on this occasion, and he needs to be there again, and again now he has shown he can do it. Lillis has spilled the ball twice with an opposing fox in the box taking advantage. Hill should insist on putting a sniffer on duty at all times.
Done should have been taken off 5 minutes before. He was knackered and started making mistakes. Again, poor play by our manager.
Agree, there are too many back passes, and far too much foreplay up top. We score the goals when we just go for it as against Walsall and Fleetwood. This is all down to our manager.

In the end Hill made a mountain out of a mole hill.
[Post edited 27 Aug 2018 11:44]

Williams in a good forward position again tonight...blasts over the bar !!!!!

If he can’t convert then Keith needs to tell him to stay back and leave that to someone who can.

He also passes back when he should have passed forward. And in another move, he gets his footwork all mixed up which nearly leads to a goal. Is he good enough????????
[Post edited 28 Aug 2018 23:21]

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Login to get fewer ads

Boring football on 23:20 - Aug 28 with 1065 views442Dale

Boring football on 23:17 - Aug 28 by YouTubeDale

If he can’t convert then Keith needs to tell him to stay back and leave that to someone who can.

He also passes back when he should have passed forward. And in another move, he gets his footwork all mixed up which nearly leads to a goal. Is he good enough????????

It wasn’t a great effort but by that stage while employed as the deep midfielder his role was to back up attacks from exactly where he was. Understandable why he shot, but he, like others, wouldn’t be playing for us if they were hitting the target with every effort.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Boring football on 23:26 - Aug 28 with 1053 viewsYouTubeDale

Boring football on 23:20 - Aug 28 by 442Dale

It wasn’t a great effort but by that stage while employed as the deep midfielder his role was to back up attacks from exactly where he was. Understandable why he shot, but he, like others, wouldn’t be playing for us if they were hitting the target with every effort.

That is a weak defence, he wouldn’t be playing for Dale if he could hit the target every time...please just hit it ONCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Boring football on 23:55 - Aug 28 with 1037 viewsdingdangblue

Boring football on 23:26 - Aug 28 by YouTubeDale

That is a weak defence, he wouldn’t be playing for Dale if he could hit the target every time...please just hit it ONCE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Plus all those years at Liverpool academy you would think at least his technique would be 'sound'?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Boring football on 00:12 - Aug 29 with 1018 views442Dale

Boring football on 23:26 - Aug 28 by YouTubeDale

No, it’s a valid one. He’s not a striker, he’s a defender/defensive midfielder who may get the odd chance he should do better with. The reasons were there for why he was in that position when the shooting chance came about.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Boring football on 00:17 - Aug 29 with 1010 viewsTVOS1907

Boring football on 23:17 - Aug 28 by YouTubeDale

Which other defenders, who can score from 25 yards when the ball happens to fall to them, like tonight, should be up there instead?
[Post edited 29 Aug 2018 0:29]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024