Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mrs Malaprop 15:37 - Apr 2 with 3691 viewscolinallcars

Coming back on the 237 bus from Hounslow today......three women sitting behind me. I've never heard so many words mispronounced. Avacado was advacado, prostate was prostrate, certificate was sistifercate and more that I've forgotten.

Mrs Malaprop on 08:18 - Apr 3 with 873 viewsBklynRanger

Mrs Malaprop on 23:03 - Apr 2 by kensalriser

Ah yes, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, Haitch.

Apparently this is part of the NI dialect, which makes it acceptable for people who speak with that accent. Everyone else, you sound like a tw@t.

Conservely, people who consciously don't pronounce the h in hotel or worse, in historic and prefix it with 'an' as the indefinite article. If your local accent drops the h, fine. Otherwise, you sound like a tw@t.

These are not malapropisms however. They are dickheadisms.

When I was growing up whether or not you said the Haitch was a giveaway for what side of the 'community' you were on in NI. In fact it became a thing where you'd be standing at the bus stop minding your own business only to be approached by a group of budding wordsmiths asking you to spell 'hospital', with a good scuffle as penalty for getting it wrong :)

And, yeah - the Americans are very into that 'h' one, Kensal. Especially 'erbs' - people kept correcting me to say 'erbs' instead of 'herbs'. All the fcuking time. I think there may be some older English grammatical reason - vowels etc - the Americans are actually more into a lot of that than we are over here in my experience.

An increasing number of people in my workplace are starting to say 'Westminister' - ffs - one woman has always said it and now people around her are second guessing their own correct pronunciation - it's like the plague.
Mrs Malaprop on 08:28 - Apr 3 with 856 viewsCiderwithRsie

Mrs Malaprop on 00:45 - Apr 3 by johann28

Always had an irrational intolerance for these. My American wife was in the habit of referring to a certain prehistoric monument as 'Stonehedge'. To my objection, 'it's not Stonehedge, but StoneHENGE', she then said 'well, what the hell's a henge?' as if this clinched the argument. 'I don't fkg know,' I screamed, 'It's a massive fkg stone monument - NOT A FKG HEDGE!!!!' We got divorced.

Apparently in archaeology there is a term, "henge", which obviously derives from Stonehenge. But it's defined in such a way that Stonehenge isn't one.

I think "Henge" in the name is originally an adverb not a noun - its not a Henge made of stones, it's a lot of "hanging" stones i.e. a gallows. Pretty sure Time Team did a thing since and found there was a gallows nearby, conveniently sited for the A303 (so you couldn't miss seeing 'em swing). Happy days, eh?
Mrs Malaprop on 08:29 - Apr 3 with 855 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Me and my colleague were trying to say 'apothacary' yesterday and we said everything but the correct pronounciation

We we wondering if the word was the practitioner or the practice (for the curious).

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Mrs Malaprop on 08:37 - Apr 3 with 840 viewsqprxtc

My dad has been known to order ‘Portfolios’ for dessert when he wants ‘Profiteroles’.

I always used to say ‘Haitch’ as I thought that was how it was said and it made sense to me.

A bloke at my old job told me quite firmly one time that I was saying it wrong and even shoved a dictionary under my nose to prove the point.

I made sure from that point on that I would say ‘Haitch’ as often as I bloody could and still say it now.

The next time that bloke at work said ‘Wows’ instead of ‘Wales’ I made sure of pointing him in the direction of a the nearest map of the British Isles.
Mrs Malaprop on 08:42 - Apr 3 with 825 viewsOrthodox_Hoop

A mate of my dad's, old yugi type, lived on Hammersmith Grove and pronounced it Hammersh*t.
Mrs Malaprop on 09:07 - Apr 3 with 788 viewsNortholt_Rs

Mrs Malaprop on 08:42 - Apr 3 by Orthodox_Hoop

A mate of my dad's, old yugi type, lived on Hammersmith Grove and pronounced it Hammersh*t.

Which, of course, is the correct pronunciation.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2019 9:08]

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Mrs Malaprop on 09:55 - Apr 3 with 757 viewsGloryHunter

Since time immoral.

I heard someone say this years ago, and started using it myself as a joke. Now I can't stop myself saying it, and most people clearly don't get the joke and think I'm an idiot.
Mrs Malaprop on 09:59 - Apr 3 with 751 viewsGloryHunter

Heard a QPR supporter saying he'd been to a show where Rodney Marsh and George Best were telling amusing football antidotes.
Login to get fewer ads

Mrs Malaprop on 10:01 - Apr 3 with 745 viewsMick_S

Having one wife is called monotony.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Mrs Malaprop on 10:43 - Apr 3 with 713 viewssmegma

90% of our fan base are guilty of saying Sir Les.

Which comes from the fact Terry Cinzano misheard the song being sung in the early 90s using the tune/melody of a song by some crap soul band. So he mis quoted the words and it stuck. Even his biography used the mal proper ism (see wot I did?!)
Mrs Malaprop on 14:15 - Apr 3 with 633 viewsrrrspricey

Mrs Malaprop on 09:59 - Apr 3 by GloryHunter

Heard a QPR supporter saying he'd been to a show where Rodney Marsh and George Best were telling amusing football antidotes.

As is their provocative
Mrs Malaprop on 14:22 - Apr 3 with 618 viewsMatch82

Mrs Malaprop on 08:18 - Apr 3 by BklynRanger

When I was growing up whether or not you said the Haitch was a giveaway for what side of the 'community' you were on in NI. In fact it became a thing where you'd be standing at the bus stop minding your own business only to be approached by a group of budding wordsmiths asking you to spell 'hospital', with a good scuffle as penalty for getting it wrong :)

And, yeah - the Americans are very into that 'h' one, Kensal. Especially 'erbs' - people kept correcting me to say 'erbs' instead of 'herbs'. All the fcuking time. I think there may be some older English grammatical reason - vowels etc - the Americans are actually more into a lot of that than we are over here in my experience.

An increasing number of people in my workplace are starting to say 'Westminister' - ffs - one woman has always said it and now people around her are second guessing their own correct pronunciation - it's like the plague.

Erbs? Like Bay-sil and Or-Egg-Ano?
Mrs Malaprop on 17:38 - Apr 3 with 555 viewscolinallcars

When I first started going in pubs we'd say 'ere get us a bag o' crips. But we meant to say it that way.
Mrs Malaprop on 17:47 - Apr 3 with 544 viewsflynnbo

Apparently, it's okay to say "Marleybone". Refuse to do say and insist on "Marylebone"-standards, innit? Mind you I used to pronounce Beauchamp Street in the French way till a cabbie told me otherwise!
Mrs Malaprop on 18:16 - Apr 3 with 520 viewsdannyblue

Mrs Malaprop on 17:47 - Apr 3 by flynnbo

Apparently, it's okay to say "Marleybone". Refuse to do say and insist on "Marylebone"-standards, innit? Mind you I used to pronounce Beauchamp Street in the French way till a cabbie told me otherwise!

How about Beaulieu motor museum?

My gf has been known to say swings in roundabouts and head poncho.

I deliberately put a the in front of hoi polloi to flush out elitist pedants (which I pronounce peeedants for the same reason).
Mrs Malaprop on 19:33 - Apr 3 with 477 viewsMrSheen

Mrs Malaprop on 18:16 - Apr 3 by dannyblue

How about Beaulieu motor museum?

My gf has been known to say swings in roundabouts and head poncho.

I deliberately put a the in front of hoi polloi to flush out elitist pedants (which I pronounce peeedants for the same reason).

Did you mean “in front of των πολλων”?
Mrs Malaprop on 19:51 - Apr 3 with 469 viewsdannyblue

Maybe? And two Keo please
Mrs Malaprop on 04:15 - Apr 4 with 380 viewsBoston

Mrs Malaprop on 17:38 - Apr 3 by colinallcars

When I first started going in pubs we'd say 'ere get us a bag o' crips. But we meant to say it that way.

...and a pint o’ Bloods,please.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024