Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lumley 03:07 - Sep 15 with 12085 viewsBenny_the_Ball

I've seen a few posts hinting at "the elephant in the room" (whatever that means). This is a forum so let's just cut to the chase. This season Lumley has been prone to some brain farts (Stoke and Brizzle away spring to mind). Whilst you could put some down to inexperience, today's mistake for Luton's first goal was simply unacceptable. Every week Warburton talks about cutting out individual errors and learning from mistakes but Joe doesn't seem to be taking heed. So what do you good people think? Does Joe deserve another chance or is it time to give Kelly his shot?
Lumley on 08:16 - Sep 16 with 1902 viewsRblockPrior

We need to stick with him if you ask me, a good keeper that yes has made a few mistakes but Lumley is someone I think can be our number one for years and years to come. He is still learning on the job and I have no doubt these errors will soon be out out of his game

Put it this way, other players who have been playing week in week out like Barbet have made more mistakes than Lumley.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 8:20]

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Lumley on 08:39 - Sep 16 with 1863 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lumley on 08:16 - Sep 16 by RblockPrior

We need to stick with him if you ask me, a good keeper that yes has made a few mistakes but Lumley is someone I think can be our number one for years and years to come. He is still learning on the job and I have no doubt these errors will soon be out out of his game

Put it this way, other players who have been playing week in week out like Barbet have made more mistakes than Lumley.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 8:20]

This.

We’ve been crying out for consistency in selection for years and the lack of it was a stick we beat Holloway and McClaren with.

I like a manager that sticks by a player through a temporary confidence crisis, which is exactly what I think is going on with Lumley.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 9:24]
Lumley on 09:19 - Sep 16 with 1796 viewsfrancisbowles

Stick with him or we risk ruining one of our own and having another 'Ingram total nervous lack of confidence situation' whereby he ended up having to leave to try a fresh start his career.

Jo is a bit of a mixture of good play and nervy moments but has a lot of potential to be a very good keeper. His form for the development sides (from Smegs comments) and his very successful loan spells where he was rated highly and they wanted to keep him backs this up. This is a big step up and he is learning on the job and only he can now use take those mistakes as experiences to work on and ensure they are not repeated.

As for those who think he stays on his line for crosses, it is very difficult to see, from the stands, just how far away from him those crosses are. I would much rather he stayed on his line and left his (at the moment three) centre backs to deal with them, unless he is
certain that if he comes he will make the situation safe. They seem to be content with knowing he is not coming out and that, if they are beaten in the air, he is in position to defend the goal. He isn't the best when he comes for balls and it is something else to work on but in training, until he is confident enough in his ability to do it.

Saturday's mistake was awful, total switch off from the good distribution he had shown up to then and a bad decision which he may have realised as he went to play the ball, resulting in hesitation and a kick that was telegraphed for the opponent and far too soft for it's intended target.

As for Kelly, although he hasn't looked more than ordinary in his limited appearances for us so far, from all that I have read and heard from Scottish contacts he is a very good keeper. We will need to give him games before too long but not now, this is a quiet month and there will be some busier months ahead.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 9:21]
Lumley on 09:33 - Sep 16 with 1768 viewsStoicHoop

We have won 3 games on the trot, so now is not the time to change the keeper. That said Lumley’s flap at Stoke, general hesitation on crosses and Bristol and Luton howlers are obviously unnerving and I don’t doubt for a minute he is feeling the pressure to perform now. I also trust Warburton in this. He obviously rates Kelly but as with Lee Wallace, he’s not rushing him into the team if he feels others are performing better. When he doesn’t feel that applies to Lumley - perhaps when we have an inevitable poor run - he will make a change. That’s how it works. But I’m glad he’s not into knee jerk selections
Lumley on 09:36 - Sep 16 with 1766 viewsridethewave

Lumley on 08:39 - Sep 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

This.

We’ve been crying out for consistency in selection for years and the lack of it was a stick we beat Holloway and McClaren with.

I like a manager that sticks by a player through a temporary confidence crisis, which is exactly what I think is going on with Lumley.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2019 9:24]

Not sure anyone was complaining that McClaren wasn't consistent in picking his team mate, quite the opposite in his case - one extreme to the other between him and Holloway.

Not sure about Joe. He's played enough games now to be cutting out the mistakes and yet doesn't look like he will any time soon. Yet none of us know if we've got a better option.

I'd stick with him for now but there will have to come a point where the manager makes a change if he doesn't pick his form up.
Lumley on 10:22 - Sep 16 with 1734 viewsPikey

It was a poor error but the late save was superb.
What I liked was he didnt hide he acknowledged the howler not just to his team mates but to the fans as well.
He cares and needs to get over that error with our support. In the same way no one has dug out Manning for leaving the back post free twice in a minute with the 2nd leading to a goal. Also his only error.
Nite sure about Kelly but no doubt he'll get his chance at some point. But for now we stick with Jie.
Lumley on 11:34 - Sep 16 with 1682 viewsMick_S

Lumley on 10:22 - Sep 16 by Pikey

It was a poor error but the late save was superb.
What I liked was he didnt hide he acknowledged the howler not just to his team mates but to the fans as well.
He cares and needs to get over that error with our support. In the same way no one has dug out Manning for leaving the back post free twice in a minute with the 2nd leading to a goal. Also his only error.
Nite sure about Kelly but no doubt he'll get his chance at some point. But for now we stick with Jie.

He seemed to apologise twice to the Loft and got a decent round of applause/support. I felt for the bloke.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Lumley on 13:07 - Sep 16 with 1607 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lumley on 09:36 - Sep 16 by ridethewave

Not sure anyone was complaining that McClaren wasn't consistent in picking his team mate, quite the opposite in his case - one extreme to the other between him and Holloway.

Not sure about Joe. He's played enough games now to be cutting out the mistakes and yet doesn't look like he will any time soon. Yet none of us know if we've got a better option.

I'd stick with him for now but there will have to come a point where the manager makes a change if he doesn't pick his form up.

What about his previous 95 games? Shouldn’t they be taken into account? It’s not as if he has consistently made mistakes his whole career is it? Wasn’t he player of the year at Bristol Rovers or something?

Another practical question, who do we replace him with? The equally prone Kelly or the Barnes who was playing for Hemel Hempstead last time out?
Login to get fewer ads

Lumley on 14:07 - Sep 16 with 1578 viewsgazza1

Not sure why it anyone thinks that Lumley is good enough....he has made numerous errors, over two seasons, there are no signs that they will cease or he is becoming a better goalkeeper.

i have no idea if he will eradicate the errors he often makes but if i was the manager i would be looking at the situation very closely indeed.
Lumley on 14:30 - Sep 16 with 1539 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Lumley on 14:07 - Sep 16 by gazza1

Not sure why it anyone thinks that Lumley is good enough....he has made numerous errors, over two seasons, there are no signs that they will cease or he is becoming a better goalkeeper.

i have no idea if he will eradicate the errors he often makes but if i was the manager i would be looking at the situation very closely indeed.

Who shall we replace him with gazza?
Lumley on 15:06 - Sep 16 with 1510 viewsParkRoyalR

Lumley on 14:30 - Sep 16 by BazzaInTheLoft

Who shall we replace him with gazza?

Hopefully not keeper Luton paid £1.3m for, very soft hands for Eze's goal, I'd be far more concerned if Lumley had made that error.
Lumley on 16:25 - Sep 16 with 1462 viewsquickpassrotter

Unfortunately I think that we have 2 Keepers who are just abut ''OK'' but nothing more.
There always seems to be in a mistake in Joe - as he is proving to us. With his height/physique he should be dominating the cross from anywhere from his own goal line to potentially 10 yards out - certainly anything that is floated in.
Kelly looks small and not particularly physical to me - but probably I'm comparing him with Joe. Warbs brought Kelly in for a reason - I think that it's just a matter of time before he starts. Certainly Joe can't keep making these poor individual errors and expect to keep his place. Saturday's from open play certainly took the wind out of our sales.
Lumley on 16:43 - Sep 16 with 1449 viewsVancouverHoop

Lumley aside, Kelly will start at some point soon otherwise he's not going to get another game until January.
Lumley on 16:49 - Sep 16 with 1438 viewsLongsufferingR

Lumley on 16:43 - Sep 16 by VancouverHoop

Lumley aside, Kelly will start at some point soon otherwise he's not going to get another game until January.

.....and even then it will only be one game.
Lumley on 17:03 - Sep 16 with 1405 viewsstevec

Be interested to see how many on target shots we've had against us this season compared to rest of the Championship.

Games I've been to, it doesn't seem like a lot, but both our goalkeepers seemed to spend a disproportionate amount of time picking it out of the net.

Wonder if there's something like 'Grobellar syndrome' in football. That is, the worse your keeper is, the better the outfield players perform to keep it up the other end. It was noticeable that when we had Smithies nobody gave an arsé about possession football.
Lumley on 09:37 - Sep 17 with 1205 viewsgazza1

That's for the Manager, coaches and scouting team to decide. Not seen enough of Kelly to make a valued opinion yet but I cant see the point of having another goalkeeper if the Manager and his Team do not think he is good enough to replace Lumley.

He must improve very quickly if he is going to have a career in the Championship.
Lumley on 09:41 - Sep 17 with 1202 viewsgazza1

The other thing about Lumley is the ridiculous time wasting tactics he does and his antics at conceded penalties is absolutely pathetic......he should just concentrate on his own game and try to stop the penalty and stop behaving like a 'dick'.
Lumley on 15:39 - Sep 17 with 1125 viewsfrancisbowles

Lumley on 09:41 - Sep 17 by gazza1

The other thing about Lumley is the ridiculous time wasting tactics he does and his antics at conceded penalties is absolutely pathetic......he should just concentrate on his own game and try to stop the penalty and stop behaving like a 'dick'.

If you think Lumley's penalty antics are bad, you should've seen Kelly's in the Portsmouth match!
Lumley on 15:54 - Sep 17 with 1112 viewsRblockPrior

Lumley on 09:41 - Sep 17 by gazza1

This seems to annoy quite a few people for me it is game management and I have no issue with it allows us to set and if we are under pressure allows our players a break albeit a short one breaking the oppositions momentum. I would be more concerned if he was eager to get the ball out straight away when we have a lead allowing the side we are playing more time to get a goal back

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024