Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Is this racist? 10:41 - Nov 24 with 2256 viewsDarran

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Is this racist? on 10:43 - Nov 24 with 1796 viewsexiledclaseboy

It’ll be five pages by teatime.

Poll: Tory leader

Is this racist? on 10:50 - Nov 24 with 1781 viewsFireboy2

No as iirc the bbc are using postive action to target under represented groups in its organisation.

Most organisations use this system.
Is this racist? on 13:49 - Nov 24 with 1711 viewsdickythorpe

Is this racist? on 10:43 - Nov 24 by exiledclaseboy

It’ll be five pages by teatime.

Especially if the job advert asked for all candidates to bring a flag of their choice
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 14:53]
Is this racist? on 13:58 - Nov 24 with 1682 viewssainthelens

They should go full on and ask for pre-op as well.
Is this racist? on 14:38 - Nov 24 with 1671 viewsNeath_Jack

Do you want it to be?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Is this racist? on 14:40 - Nov 24 with 1659 viewsbluey_the_blue

Is this racist? on 10:50 - Nov 24 by Fireboy2

No as iirc the bbc are using postive action to target under represented groups in its organisation.

Most organisations use this system.

It's positive discrimination there not positive action.
Is this racist? on 14:41 - Nov 24 with 1656 viewsbluey_the_blue

What if you self-identify as say Asian?
Is this racist? on 14:52 - Nov 24 with 1646 viewsexiledclaseboy

Is this racist? on 14:40 - Nov 24 by bluey_the_blue

No it isn’t. Positive discrimination would be (for example) allowing candidates from all ethnicities to apply and then discounting those from one ethnicity in the basis of that characteristic. It’s illegal.

Positive action is taking steps to address underrepresentation by offering schemes such as the one highlighted, which is the very definition of positive action.

Login to get fewer ads

Is this racist? on 14:58 - Nov 24 with 1624 viewsbluey_the_blue

Is this racist? on 14:52 - Nov 24 by exiledclaseboy

No it isn’t. Positive discrimination would be (for example) allowing candidates from all ethnicities to apply and then discounting those from one ethnicity in the basis of that characteristic. It’s illegal.

Positive action is taking steps to address underrepresentation by offering schemes such as the one highlighted, which is the very definition of positive action.

It's still preventing anybody not fitting those ethnic criteria from applying though, because their applications will be rejected.

Underrepresentation needs to be addressed sure but the only way you can do that is encouraging people of all ethnicities to apply, having the best candidate get the role irrespective of ethnicity. We need to get to the position of the best candidate getting the job.

Should somebody with say less skill get a job over someone with more skill due to their ethnicity?
Is this racist? on 15:00 - Nov 24 with 1632 viewsexiledclaseboy

Is this racist? on 14:58 - Nov 24 by bluey_the_blue

It's still preventing anybody not fitting those ethnic criteria from applying though, because their applications will be rejected.

Underrepresentation needs to be addressed sure but the only way you can do that is encouraging people of all ethnicities to apply, having the best candidate get the role irrespective of ethnicity. We need to get to the position of the best candidate getting the job.

Should somebody with say less skill get a job over someone with more skill due to their ethnicity?

So we’re agreed it’s not positive discrimination then. Good.

I agree that we need to get to the position of the best candidate getting the job. Until we’re at that position, I’m in favour of schemes such as this which look to address underrepresentation.

Is this racist? on 15:07 - Nov 24 with 1610 viewsbluey_the_blue

Is this racist? on 15:00 - Nov 24 by exiledclaseboy

I agree that we need to get to the position of the best candidate getting the job. Until we’re at that position, I’m in favour of schemes such as this which look to address underrepresentation.

It's still discrimination.

Your CV goes straight in the bin if White, British. You may have years more experience than other candidates, but that's irrelevant.

Aim may be noble enough but you don't solve history discrimination by then introducing more discrimination imo. It can introduce resentment in teams, especially if the person chosen isn't as good in the role as would reasonably be expected. It tells successful candidates "well, we've taken you on for noble reasons but there may well have been better candidates".

EDIT:

If the role was to work on say Asian specific themes then I'd agree with it tbh. The insight and knowledge through life experience would be invaluable. For a general role though, no.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2019 15:09]
Is this racist? on 16:19 - Nov 24 with 1577 viewsJango

Is this racist? on 15:00 - Nov 24 by exiledclaseboy

Why does there need to be equal representation before we give jobs to the best candidate? If having the best person for the job means there’s 100% black people or 100% Asian or 100% white people in that organisation, then so be it. Absolutely pathetic.
Is this racist? on 16:36 - Nov 24 with 1541 viewscontroversial_jack

When they stated from a non whit background it became discriminatory and therefore racist
Is this racist? on 16:43 - Nov 24 with 1526 viewsbluey_the_blue

Is this racist? on 16:36 - Nov 24 by controversial_jack

When they stated from a non whit background it became discriminatory and therefore racist

Indeed.

Jews are an ethnic minority; skin colour is irrelevant.
Is this racist? on 17:30 - Nov 24 with 1498 viewsFireboy2

Is this racist? on 14:40 - Nov 24 by bluey_the_blue

Positive discrimination is illegal.
Is this racist? on 17:31 - Nov 24 with 1494 viewsexiledclaseboy

Is this racist? on 17:30 - Nov 24 by Fireboy2

Positive discrimination is illegal.

Yeah I’ve told him that but he doesn’t get it.

Is this racist? on 17:38 - Nov 24 with 1482 viewsFireboy2

Is this racist? on 17:31 - Nov 24 by exiledclaseboy

Positive discrimination has been generally prohibited since 2010 under the equality act, thats why the bbc can get away with targeting a person from that certain group, under positive action.

I came across it whilst trying to get into the fire brigade who at the time used positive discrimination to try and get people from under represented groups to join.
Is this racist? on 18:01 - Nov 24 with 1443 viewsbluey_the_blue

Is this racist? on 17:31 - Nov 24 by exiledclaseboy

I do get it.

There's still discrimination there, like it or not.

If the ad was reversed ( White, British only ) then how can it be argued that's not discriminatory?
Is this racist? on 18:34 - Nov 24 with 1406 viewsWandererJack

It should be the best person for the job regardless of anything else.
Is this racist? on 19:36 - Nov 24 with 1350 viewsLeonWasGod

Is this racist? on 15:07 - Nov 24 by bluey_the_blue

Your CV goes straight in the bin if White, British. You may have years more experience than other candidates, but that's irrelevant.

Aim may be noble enough but you don't solve history discrimination by then introducing more discrimination imo. It can introduce resentment in teams, especially if the person chosen isn't as good in the role as would reasonably be expected. It tells successful candidates "well, we've taken you on for noble reasons but there may well have been better candidates".

EDIT:

If the role was to work on say Asian specific themes then I'd agree with it tbh. The insight and knowledge through life experience would be invaluable. For a general role though, no.

You need to get a hobby. You’re getting as bad as that E20 fella was.
Is this racist? on 21:16 - Nov 24 with 1312 viewsPozuelosSideys

You cant advertise a job and exclude candidates based on skin colour or ethnicity no matter which one it is, even if the job is obviously meant for a minority person. Its descrimination. Just as only advertsiing for one gender or age based.

Im amazed the BBC havent clocked that.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Is this racist? on 22:53 - Nov 24 with 1269 viewspembsjack

Of course, its racist, if I advertise for staff next week and ask for white applicants and no one from minority background I would be dragged through the sh"t backwards.
Is this racist? on 00:43 - Nov 26 with 1169 viewsKerouac

Apparently it is racist if you don't like food from another country now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50550735

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Is this racist? on 01:36 - Nov 26 with 1137 viewsJackSomething

Is this racist? on 15:07 - Nov 24 by bluey_the_blue

EDIT:

Your CV would go straight in the bin because you can't read or understand the criteria for the post. Just like it would if you applied for a job that required a degree and you didn't have one. Would that be discrimination?

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Is this racist? on 01:36 - Nov 26 with 1136 viewsJackSomething

Is this racist? on 00:43 - Nov 26 by Kerouac

Apparently it is racist if you don't like food from another country now...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50550735

According to some people on Twitter.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024