Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stay-cation holiday blues 13:26 - Apr 29 with 2130 viewsR_from_afar

Well, just another day and a half of work and I am on holiday...at home. In these troubled times, I am extremely grateful to be fit and well and to have a job and income, mind.

We were due to be heading to the south coast of Crete but something like that will be a pipe dream for months to come.

My employer won't allow people to cancel previously booked holiday - which is fair enough, the company would grind to a halt if everyone put off their holidays until the lockdown ends - so we will be sampling the delights of the parish in which we reside and trying not to murder each other

Anyone got any good holiday at home survival tips?

PS: I am soooo glad I booked an extra day for packing and getting organised especially now all "packing" is going to involve is removing my work laptop from the dining room table.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Stay-cation holiday blues on 13:57 - Apr 29 with 2070 viewsderbyhoop

Holiday at home survival tips?

Practise social distancing - from the wife.If she can't get within 2m she can't hit you. Although she can probably throw things at you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Stay-cation holiday blues on 16:37 - Apr 29 with 2000 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Try something new! I say new, but it could be renew.

I’ve been doing yoga on and off for 10 years or so, but not hit the mat since leaving Asia in 2018. A month back I found a good app, got the map out and been doing it everyday since. Actually not only has it been beneficial fitness and calming wise, I’ve enjoyed it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Stay-cation holiday blues on 16:50 - Apr 29 with 1990 viewsaston_hoop

During the lockdown, I have taken to learning different dishes from places around the world. If I cant go to places, they can come to me at dinner time!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Stay-cation holiday blues on 16:57 - Apr 29 with 1978 viewsSharpy36

Just looked at the weather for Crete, seems you dodged a bullet.

do you speak Greek ? If not that should keep you busyos

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

Stay-cation holiday blues on 23:01 - Apr 29 with 1886 viewsR_from_afar

Stay-cation holiday blues on 16:57 - Apr 29 by Sharpy36

Just looked at the weather for Crete, seems you dodged a bullet.

do you speak Greek ? If not that should keep you busyos

Ah, I didn't realise the forecast was poor.

When it comes to foreign languages, I have been teaching myself Italian for some years, so I will try to make good progress this coming week. I actually have an O Level in Ancient Greek, so I could revisit that - it's wickedly difficult - or try the modern version.

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Stay-cation holiday blues on 23:36 - Apr 29 with 1863 viewsMrSheen

Stay-cation holiday blues on 23:01 - Apr 29 by R_from_afar

When it comes to foreign languages, I have been teaching myself Italian for some years, so I will try to make good progress this coming week. I actually have an O Level in Ancient Greek, so I could revisit that - it's wickedly difficult - or try the modern version.

Funnily enough, I’ve been going through an Ancient Greek GCSE course. It’s amazing what sticks 40 years on and what you can’t remember at all.
-ομαι-η-εται-ομεθα-εσθε-ονται
I was hoping to start a lapsed classicist reading group locally before the virus struck. I made it to the end of first year classics at University before I jacked it in, but I’ve only ever spent a week in Greece. We were going to go as a family in September, but who knows now.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 23:44]
Stay-cation holiday blues on 00:46 - Apr 30 with 1835 viewstimcocking

I laughed at the ps so glad i booked another day for packing.

Commiserations, though; it's really not funny.
Stay-cation holiday blues on 12:22 - Apr 30 with 1783 viewsEastR

Stay-cation holiday blues on 23:01 - Apr 29 by R_from_afar

you're lucky you're not going to Crete

they are in proper lockdown there - no messing around, don't leave your house at all, full stop.Being enforced with no excuses

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

Stay-cation holiday blues on 13:54 - May 1 with 1698 viewsR_from_afar

Stay-cation holiday blues on 12:22 - Apr 30 by EastR

they are in proper lockdown there - no messing around, don't leave your house at all, full stop.Being enforced with no excuses

Oh right, that sounds tough and a lucky escape for us.

Here's a list of the top 15 things to do outdoors in 15 minutes for your mental health. Not my list, I shamelessly nicked it from the Daily Telegraph.

Three of my own are:
- Play that musical instrument you never get round to playing
- Dig out music you only have on a really old music format, e.g. audio cassettes (anyone for 8 track stereo? Before even my time...)
- Find your slides (if you have any, I have loads because I am old) and scan them into a computer. You're sure to find some stuff you totally forgot about.

1. Read a book
2. Lie and watch the sky
3. Take your daily cuppa outside, turn the phone to silent and slowly sit, listen and chill.
4. Do 15 minutes of stretches/yoga
5. Outdoor workout - lift some logs in the woods or try outdoor swimming
6. Nature watch
7. Ride a bike
8. Be a tourist in your own neighbourhood: find blue plaques, check out sights that’d ordinarily pass you by
9. Take in a sunset or sunrise
10. Picnic
11. Plant seeds
12. Follow a guided meditation
13. Water is proven to help relax you so fill a bowl and dunk your feet
14. Build a den - it isn’t just for kids you know!
15. Listen to music and have a silent disco.

Stay-cation holiday blues on 17:04 - May 2 with 1655 viewsR_from_afar

Stay-cation holiday blues on 23:36 - Apr 29 by MrSheen

Funnily enough, I’ve been going through an Ancient Greek GCSE course. It’s amazing what sticks 40 years on and what you can’t remember at all.
-ομαι-η-εται-ομεθα-εσθε-ονται
I was hoping to start a lapsed classicist reading group locally before the virus struck. I made it to the end of first year classics at University before I jacked it in, but I’ve only ever spent a week in Greece. We were going to go as a family in September, but who knows now.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2020 23:44]

As you can probably imagine, even in the late seventies when I did Ancient Greek, qualified Classics teachers were rare beasts. I was at a large grammar school and only one of the three Classics teachers taught Ancient Greek.

When that one teacher was off sick, the school had to bring in a supply teacher and so we ended up being taught by a frightfully posh but extremely venerable chap. He was so old that he insisted on us translating the Greek formal you as thou.

Stay-cation holiday blues on 17:09 - May 2 with 1652 viewsMickS_

Stay-cation holiday blues on 12:22 - Apr 30 by EastR

My mum spoke with her friends In Crete a week ago and that’s what she was told. Many, many Euros if you are caught driving and a ban to boot.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024